Kim wu is too low tier

Being high on a leader board means nothing.

Also I don’t appreciate people taking what was said on a entertainment stream as fact.
On a side note, here is me losing to Aganos 10-1

2 Likes

This may not be the best response but please tell me that Kim Wu’s damage sucks after watching this video.

3 Likes

I always said Kim hit like a truck even after just watching the KIWC reveal, but… Holy cow that went from “Supreme Victory!” to DEAD in 3 combos within the space of like 40 seconds. 69% on a lockout is pretty damn good.
Nice comeback, btw.

How can you say it means nothing? It literally means everything. People strive every day to get high on a leaderboard, so the fact that he got #2 with week1 tech (beating tons of people using their main characters) must mean something.

I didnt watch that entire stream. just because i posted a link to that person, doesnt mean i agree with (or even know) what he said. Whatever you are referencing here is something i didnt even see.

I was just fulfilling a request by @GalacticGeek . Not using everything he said or did as a political argument.

He means in terms of actual skill. You can work to get high on a leaderboard list but that doesn’t actually mean you’re the best. MyGod got 2nd at WC but when I played a set with him, he was a Qualifier.

Well he obviously was not a qualifier because of skill. come on, now.

But when you have put in the time, and played multiple matches, and revived a high rank, it MEANS SOMETHING

MyGod will absolutely be a killer soon. And that will be because he is very skilled. His rank will mean something.

Wasn’t everyone reset the qualifier?

I just don’t like that something that should work automatically (assuming the opponent doesn’t counter, of course), like her shadow counter, doesn’t work simply because it whiffs due to being out of range, since it doesn’t push her forward.

Furthermore, while I acknowledge her potential for massive damage, I don’t like that you have to cmmit shadow meter to the ender to get it. It basically forces the Kim Wu player to use the shadow meter for that instead of other also useful (but arguably far less useful) things. Using it for that is so good IMO (since it’s massive, direct damage), why would you use the shadow meter for anything else? This in turn, would make Kim Wu more predictable as a character, which is bad.

I also don’t like how useless her dragon ender is immediately after performing it. Sure, it’s useful later, but this particular ender doesn’t do much else (such as damage, for example) and she’s often left vulnerable because she’s always left a short distance from the opponent, which in a lot of cases, is still within their reach.

Add to that other aspects of her fighting style where she often backpedals when I think she’d be better off pressing forward more aggressively instead. I can’t tell you how many times I would start a combo, only to have it drop automatically because she would backpedal mid-combo, usually with the MP button-presses, which can cause her to whiff if you’re not careful (and her nunchuka animations continue for a good amount of time after you stop pressing them BTW, which can leave her open to attack if you don’t have her dragon counter ready). Furthermore, this forces you to use mid-combo moves that move her forward, rather than back, which again, makes her more predictable as that’s what more Kim Wu players are more likely to do, which again, is bad.

…and her low HK? God, I don’t even want to go there. IMO, it’s 1 of the most useless things I’ve seen in the entire history of this game. It’s reach is so pathetically bad… :fearful:

I will admit, though, I’m no Kim Wu expert. For example, using her dragon cancel as a means to make things safe is something I haven’t been doing a lot of - I’ve been using it for crossups or to get closer on the ground, both of which are easily punishable, or for making her flying dragon kick special move relatively safe on a whiff or block on occasion.

1 Like

Yeah I think @BHswordsman09 was making the opposite point. MyGod is high level but he doesn’t play in ranked so you won’t see him on leaderboards. That doesn’t mean anything with regard to his skill.

Anyway, back in the subject of Kim Wu. I watched part of @CrazyLCD’s stream last night and it sure looks like a bad matchup against Aganos. Kim has some weaknesses for sure. But I would still suggest giving the game a little time to develop before we start drawing broad conclusions about her viability.

…IF Kim can land a combo & IF she has meter yes she could come back like the YouTube video. There were two chances that Shago had to demolish her with the 1-2-3 window and her mp backwards flurry.

I’m glad some are agreeing with me at least initially, she NEEDS a forward pressure shadow firecracker, she needs less recovery from her dragon kick, shadow dragon kick I just don’t know how to put in words , and her FP ender is remarkably low damage even after two shadow linkers. Maybe a smaller mild damage dragon projectile from a collected dragon instead of relying on cancels? Not sure but if she never changed at all id still be using her-

Any video comparison I feel is sheer luck, that’s not a definitive rock solid end all.

Good convo guys!!!

I Do love her distance for shadow dragon dance &

Beating people with a new character doesn’t mean a whole lot, especially in the first week. I was getting away with waving Tusk’s sword around like an idiot at first because he’s brand new and nobody is familiar with his options or the matchup at hand. You can bet your ■■■ I can’t get away with that same stuff anymore, and inversely I don’t do it because I understand my own character better now as well.

Being high on the leaderboard also means nothing. I’m #4 on the Tusk leaderboard but I don’t believe I’m the 4th best Tusk in the world by any means.
TampaBison was at the number 1 rank spot in SFV for a while, and he himself said the stuff he does wouldn’t work at a tournament. Online rankings aren’t the end all be all, not even close.

The game has received more than just new characters. There has been a system-wide update changing something about every character in the game as well as global mechanics.
Are you saying you have all of the interactions between every new and old change between every character figured out with confidence?
You know exactly all the tech everyone is capable of within a week?

You’re a hyper genius then, sir, and I recommend you go for that Evo title this year.

It’s not hard to use kim wu if you actually good at the game. Especially, she has anti airs, and you can use her dragon parry on, for example Jago’s fireballs.
Or to end a combo, apparently you need to be trained and taught a lesson. Kim Wu is not weak, if you can properly use her.
Her shadow dragon kick ender does a lot of damage and can stop any move.

I’m starting to think she was designed specifically for Gargos himself!

2 Likes

I think she’s got potential.

However I think she is harder to play than advertised. Some of her buttons can be just as bad to whiff as some of Tusk’s. Many of her best options need dragons to use.

I think she could be adjusted to get dragons more easily and shed be fine.

I don’t play Ms. Wu but it looks like her dragons are too difficult to earn for what they do?

So is she free to punish when she dragon cancels anything or are people just not doing it right? Because right now every time a Kim tries to dragon cancel anything unsafe I just mash jab and hit her out of it for a full combo.

The dragon cancels are very confusing at start of pickup but later can be a huge part of Kim’s arsenal- waiting to see what buffs she gets in the vein of her dragon abilities …

I see what you did…

Maybe Gargos it’s a real nasty zoner

2 Likes

I tend to agree. Personally I think IG HAS to remove her parry. She’s not freaking Hisako and she doesn’t need it. Especially as it covers her from the front and behind. In short, I think Kim Wu is over powered… and will need to be tweaked… Nothing big…

Why not? Those leaderboards are the leading authority when it comes to who is the best (not counting those unscrupulous enough to cheat their way to the top, mind you), because its data comes right from the source. I myself have relied on leaderboards to measure my own skill in numerous FGs over the years - it’s why I can say that I was, at 1 time or another:

1. the #49th best Dhalsim player in SF4 within the U.S.
  2. within the top 200 best MK players worldwide using the low-tier characters, Sheeva and Baraka.
  3. within the top 150 best IGAU players worldwide using Lex Luthor.
  4. was 1 of the top 5 best Lex Luthor players in IGAU worldwide.
  5. reached the #95 spot on the ranked leagues leaderboards using Aganos in KI.

Many of these may no longer apply, but I can still be proud of said accomplishments. It saddens me that you choose not to be proud of yours. :pensive: