Kim wu is too low tier

Wait! It parries moves BEHIND her???!!!??

Yep; all you need is appropriate timing and the correct input. :wink:

I sneezed next to her and she parried it onceā€¦

4 Likes

The problem is the KI leaderboards only take into account your win numbers, this means someone could lose most of their matches but because they play a ton more than everyone else theyā€™ll still get to the number 1 spot. Iā€™m number 2 Rash right now but my win ratio compared to the other top 10 Rashes isnā€™t that great, because theyā€™re better than me despite being lower on the leaderboard.

(And yes, there is a tab on the leaderboard for win percentage but thatā€™s not the page everyone looks at when comparing leaderboard placements.)

Youā€™d be surprised just how many FG LBs are like that. Ijust roll with the punches - wins are wins; if they donā€™t count losses then that merely shows dedication, and IMO, if they put enough time into it to get said wins, then they rightfully deserve it. :slight_smile:

Because getting x amount of wins doesnā€™t mean youā€™re the best, it means you managed to beat x amount of people of all-ranging skill levels. I could have gotten those wins by beating 360 terribads.

This is quite possibly the one and only nerf that HAS to happenā€¦ No WILL happen. If I successfully cross her up, she canā€™t parry from behind. Its too stupid and brain dead. I literally had a guy parry almost every move I made once he used his Instinct.

I donā€™t mind the parry itself, BUT it needs to have vulnerability to the back. It literally makes no sense that she is able to parry an attack at her back and she isnā€™t even facing it!

To be fair, she doesnā€™t actually hit you when she parries. She just gets a dragon.

Yes, but I wants to kills her!

2 Likes

Youā€™re dreaming if you think IG is going to remove her parry, OR remove its ability to prevent cross-ups. Her parry is wildly unsafe on whiff, and she needs the mechanic to grab dragons without sacrificing a tremendous amount of damage within combo or popping instinct. Further, all the ā€œparryā€ mechanics in the game proc on cross-ups - why would Kimā€™s be nerfed when it could convincingly be argued that itā€™s the worst of them?

Come in empty at her, same as you would to Hisako. If youā€™re flow-charting cross-ups, then youā€™ll need to mix that up a bit and itā€™s as simple as that.

Re: the position on leaderboards being an indicator of skill, Iā€™ll just say that being at the top of a leaderboard hardly means youā€™re the best. While you certainly wonā€™t make it there without some degree of skill, a lot of it boils down simply to time, i.e., do you have the time available to sink into making it to that top spot. Iā€™m the #30 Hisako last time I checked, but there are only 4 or 5 that have better win percentages than me. Iā€™ll never ever catch most of those players on the wins Leaderboard (I play a lot, but have neither time nor inclination to play THAT much), but Iā€™d be willing to put my Sako against almost any of theirs.

Welp, this has been an interesting read.

I have to disagree with saying you can accurately rank or tier a character after a week or two. There is simply no way. Now, that doesnā€™t mean you cant accurately gauge a lot of that characters strengths and weaknesses, but strengths and weaknesses arenā€™t an exact or accurate measurement of that characters ranking in relation to other charactersā€¦

Now, the leader-board discussion is something Ive run up against in other games and its always aā€¦ ā€˜conversationā€™ starter. I think that leader-boards absolutely DO prove something and DO matter. The trick is figuring out what they actually mean. There will always be anomalies, or people who just game the system to make rank, but by and large, it does give you a snapshot of who the better players are for a certain character, or game, or whatever. It needs to be taken with a grain of salt and I think, personally, they should be re-jigged to be listed as some kind of composite graph that measures a players success across more than one field with the listed character and you can click PROMINENT buttons to bring certain rankings to the fore. Ie, # of wins, win %, etc, along with a points system of some kind thatā€™s built to try to measure not just wins but the value of those wins. Many games use points systems and none of them are perfect, but they are valuable.

There will always be those absolute monsters who just donā€™t care to play online, or have very little time for it, or whatever the case is, and IF THEY WISHED, could blaze through the rankings and murderface the entire leaderboard and climb easily to the topā€¦ they will always existā€¦ but the leaderboard doesnt have to encompass every possibility, just like if I see my name at #5 or 50 or 500, I donā€™t say ā€œIā€™m exactly the 50th best Shago in the worldā€. I say ā€˜Im 50th on the Shago leadboardsā€™. This does mean however, that I am the 50th best Shago on the leaderboard.

I know I havenā€™t made my point all that well, but this post has run long enough, lol. The leaderboard discussion is somewhat akin to the ā€œOnline vs Offlineā€ debate, where some people keep mindlessly screaming that online accomplishment is UTTERLY NULL AND VOID because it does not correlate to offline accomplishment, an argument that drives me INSANE.

Okā€¦ I just bought Shago and I loves himā€¦ So Im going back to practice to fiddle some more.

Oh no. Not here, too. Smh. I just was about to get familiar with the KI Community in the forums (though I donā€™t really plan on getting on every single day, but at least once a week). Online or offline (mainly offline), I came here looking to find new people to play with in the game & Kim Wu is my main. My 1st event is MWC in June. If you feel like sheā€™s bad, then itā€™s probably because you havenā€™t fully understood her yet (based on what Iā€™ve been reading). Itā€™s still too early to even say how good/bad she is. Iā€™m no high level player & Iā€™ve seen what a bad character looks like in other games. Itā€™s like every forum that I go to now, thereā€™s way more talking from a theoretical standpoint rather than actually understand the character; more importantly playing. I use online to practice & have fun with people, but it doesnā€™t always give the best example of solid play.

1. Because itā€™s online. Youā€™re not guaranteed a very good match no matter the connection
  2. Offline youā€™re guaranteed a good match unless youā€™re on a crappy monitor with lag.
  3. You also learn more going offline. If you can go, then I would highly advise it. If any of you are close to where I live and want to go to an event one day, Iā€™ll be more than happy to plan with you & help you in anyway possible to make sure you go, play ppl and have a good time. Others will as well.

At any rate, thatā€™s my 2 cents. Donā€™t take what I say too harsh. Iā€™m speaking on what Iā€™ve had to endure. And itā€™s really discouraging to keep going to forums meeting people because of these type of discussions. I look forward to meeting, playing you guys and Iā€™ll share whatever I find. Nice to meet everyone. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So cross her up and donā€™t hit a button and punish her parry whiff.

And @GalacticGeek the leaderboards may represent a significant achievement, but it certainly isnā€™t telling us who the best players are. On Saturday, I was sitting at 24 on the Tusk leaderboard, despite my very modest win ratio (55% or so) and sitting in Gold Tier. I would never claim to be the 24th best Tusk player in the world. All I could say is that, at that moment, I was the 24th most winning Tusk in ranked matches in the world. Thatā€™s really very different - and is a reflection of hours played and commitment to the character, which is a real thing but not the same as skill at the game.

1 Like

Iā€™m enjoying her a lot. Not sure why her medium quarter circle back animation, turns into her light,when done from a combo though.
This is from a match last night. Was soo fun! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QMxOfg4zj8&feature=youtu.be

8 Likes

So Iā€™m not sold on Kimā€™s tier placement. But Iā€™ve been playing her quite a bit and I feel like a few of her tools could use some minor quality of life improvements just to be more consistent.

First off her Shadow Counter is kind of awful. It could really use a bit more reach or something. Thereā€™s a number of shadow moves that completely avoid it and get a free whiff punish. (Aria shotgun knee I know does this for sure.)

Second her cr. HP anti air is beaten cleanly by certain jump ins. (Riptor HP and Shago HP) I donā€™t know if thatā€™s intended or not but as a fundamentalist whiff punish character with weakish pokes itā€™d be nice if her primary AA was reliable.

Third her dragon kicks could use a bit of help on their hitboxes. The LK kick works well. But the AA kicks lose to all sorts of weird stuff. I feel like my anti air flying kick shouldnā€™t be losing to stuff that is designed to beaten like Cinder Trailblazer and Glacius Limbs.

The shadow dragon kick also has a really tiny hitbox on the first hit. I understand wanting to move to have a narrow range but itā€™s frustrating to have it drop in combos at certain distances.

Finally the gap in firecracker that projectiles get through is nuts. Itā€™s already somewhat dangerous to try and firecracker a projectile since on most of them itā€™s a read and not a reaction. And the reactible projectiles belong to characters who can punish for for trying with teleport or shadow wind kick. Do we really need to have a tiny gap where you can miss the firecracker on top of that?

Honestly though I donā€™t think any of her tools are useless. But itā€™s frustrating to make the right read and still be punished for it due to wonky hitboxes and hyper specific ranges. So itā€™d be nice to see some quality of life updates. I donā€™t think theyā€™d alter the characters design or make her unduly strong.

7 Likes

As a new player bouncing around so many cast members, all I can say is my Kim always gets stuffed and obliterated in ranked. Meanwhile my orchid typically gets good revenge. I mean, itā€™s really weird I put the same hours and levels into both.

There is nothing wrong with being bottom-tier n KI. The balance is just that good. Other than that, itā€™s just to early to say.

Right now Iā€™d settle for just being plus after her Parry.

2 Likes

Number of ranked wins demonstrates one thing - how good you are at beating players online.

In KI since the netcode is fantastic, that gets you just a bit further than in other games, but itā€™s still the same thing.

It is not however unreasonable to assert that players who do well offline will also do well against online players.

I wish Juicebox played this game and was on this forum so he could chime in on this.