Kilgore tech/strategy thread

Eh, I don’t think it’s THAT cut and dry with fulgore. Gun rush beats fireball, and teleport can phase through laser on reaction. The main issue comes from fulgore’s teleport, but his is much slower than spinal’s and can be punished on reaction, even if you’ve already committed to something (due to exhaust cancel.)

The main issue I see is, even when he is able to get to overheat while efficiently building meter, his mixup seems pretty mediocre, so in some matches it’ll be hard for him to make up for the low damage he does normally.

IMO the MU isn’t particularly bad for Kilgore, but the lack of meter works in Fulgore’s favor at the begining of the match.

Fulgore just wants to be at mid/close range, where a non overheated and meterless Kilgore struggles.

My point is that, although Fulgore can’t zone efficiently Kilgore, he can’t be zoned by Kilgore either. It’s a mid range fight for both of them

2 Likes

His mixups seem mediocre, but I believe he doesn’t need them.

Unlike most characters, Kilgore actually is designed with one chance combos in mind, or at least to some degree. I mean, he builds meter quite well, and he can get 37% from a throw with one chancers, +50% with two bars.

Thank god that his mixups are mediocre, because with that damage conversion, he would be a monster with better mixups

2 Likes

Ah I see, I haven’t really messed around with Kilgore too much so… back to the training room!!!

Yeah, I mean, it’s appropriate, it’s just another wrinkle to playing him. Main thing is that if you don’t open someone up at least once by the end of your first overheat, unless you’re controlling neutral REALLY well it’s very likely you’re going to end up behind later in the match.

2 Likes

Hmmm. Instead of doing the last st. Hp can we connect back hp? Asking cuz if we can it will set-up for a heavy metal ball so you can cash out that potential.

given the lage hitboxes of gargos and aganos you’ll be able to follow up with a h. metal ball instantly. but it will only work on those 2.

If I want to do a set up off it i won’t do the last heavy guns and instead will do heavy missiles for a set up.
This is very situational though as it only works when your overheat has ended, forgot to add that. Otherwise you can just back dash C MK meaty heavy ball.

1 Like

Heavy missiles is one of my favorite things on this character. I nicked a trick from Max’s streams where you use them on hard knock downs to make waking up a dicey situation for the opponent. It can also hit them during a throw for a little extra umpf.

Also, something fun I learned: If you’re going for Shadow Missiles after OTG L. Guns, and it misses: Do not be alarmed. The rockets will continue to seek their target after multiple passes, allowing for total lockdown for at least a few seconds.

And one fun little thing that I’m not sure is practical, but is hella cool.
Shadow Missiles>Forward HP/Crouch MP>Shadow Uppercut/Boop does pretty okay damage for a one chance break, and allows for followups after. Exploding, with style!

One last thing: if you’re overheated and need to stop a fireball coming your way, explode. Big ones like S. Endo or Charged Endo will still hurt, but it negates any smaller projectiles in its blast radius. Even a while barrage of Kilgore’s Shadow Missiles can be negated with a single righteous robo-f.art (really? That’s censored? I can’t even replace swears with 8 year old style humor anymore :sob: ) and the self damage inflicted is completely negligible compared to the chip/hit damage you’d be receiving. Don’t be afraid to self destruct!
Wonder if you could work self-detonation into a combo, too… hmmm

1 Like

I have won a lot of fights just popping instinct when my opponent corners me while they are in the danger zone, and then just explode anytime they get close

I never tried to cancel self-detonation into instinct, but even if it’s possible(I highly doubt it), I don’t believe that self-detonation can lead to a combo. It causes a H. Knockdown on Kilgore, so even if you can combo self-destruction into missiles(not sure if possible, I highly doubt it), you can’t wake up on time to combo anything else

1 Like

Heated teleport can’t be turned into a combo due to the hard knockdown sadly. Its already good that the move itself makes you invulnerable for a couple of sec and has a fast recovery. The heated version steps it up by sending your opponent almost full screen.

1 Like

Probably not possible to combo from it, but is it possible to tack on as a juggle after a DP or missile ended in the corner maybe? Just thinking it through on the train…

The best frame trappy string i can come up with.
This is nowhere near infallible, and isn’t a true block string, but I think it’s quite nice and the best I have come up with.

5 Likes

Given kilgores tools and mechanics I say he’s about a midtier so far. His tools revolving around spin state will be difficult for kilgore players in higher gameplay.

In an hypothetical tier like this:

-Top 5
-High tier
-Mid tier
-Low tier

I would put Kilgore either in high or mid tier; probably a bit better than all mid tiers, probably a bit worse than all High tier

1 Like

Kilgore does no damage they say!

2 Likes

Should we be putting the videos in the op like some of the other tech threads or nah?

Or i could make a separate thread for that or something if it’s a time consumption thing.

I’ll get on updating the OP with stuff from the thread soon. When I started it I was getting sick and it just got worse over time; I’m only now starting to feel better.

1 Like

oh okay sounds good. Hope you have a full and speedy recovery. Lots of fluids and vitamin C

Killer Instinct. Kilgore. 47% one chance break for one bar off overheat throw.
This juggle is 41%-47% depending on how late you leave it to OTG and how late you leave the DP cash out. The longer you let the PD build up the more damage you get. The most damage I have reliably got is 47%.

6 Likes

Wow

Just WOW

1 Like