Kilgore tech/strategy thread

Sure. Go ahead.

Working on it.

Well his c. Mk is pretty good in neutral. It reaches pretty far and is only -1. C. Mp is literally a frame trap being +2 except you have to be extremely close to actually hit someone with it.

stmk is good as well at closer ranges.

Well, this is the tech thread. Kilgore doesn’t need INSX for the 2-bar 1-chance, unless he’s going in off of an OTG, and for real a lot of that stuff seems sorta practical so far.

Insofar as his neutral is concerned, I’m having sort of a hard time beyond his zoning. L.Missile is good from 1.5-space and farther, where you can snag bad jumps w/ M/H.Barrage or his DP’s and follow up. M.Missle feels like Gouken from about 3-space. I talked about frametrapping w/ buttons x L.Missile w/in 1-space earlier.

I don’t like pressing his grounded Gun HP’s without meter, save the occasional b.HP off of DP, but that’s just because I can’t land anything after DP. :dizzy_face: I feel like they can be used otherwise, I’m just not seeing it.

His j.HP is maybe one of my favorite moves in the game. It feels like a combination air-fireball and divekick, and I’ve been having a great time both pressuring and baiting anti-airs with it. Feels like a strong neutral tool thus far, but spacing it for pressure while Heated feels awkward.

cr.MK & st.MP can be alright pokes, I guess? I dunno, I hate his buttons and try to avoid playing SF w/ him whenever possible. I avoid being closer than 1-space unless on offense.

Sweep low profiles traditional fireballs (Jago, Fulgore, etc.). It’s pretty neat.

Oh, Gun Dash(xGD Linker) can be good from farther out to check forward movement.

What do y’all do? I’m sorta dumb, so this is pretty much my “neutral playbook” - how to improve it?

I usually try to zone with missiles and punish zoning attempts with c. Hp and j. Hp. If I’m full screen and they are about half dead I’ll spam ex missiles pop instinct and keep using hp to build more meter to use ex missiles more often. This is due to the fact that instinct hp builds a bar in 3 -4 uses and using ex missiles does insane damage even on chip. So I tend to not use it for juggle uses but rather a zoning tool.

1 Like

So basic heating up.

1. It takes 5 chain gun moves irregardless of the moves strengths, properties, or whether it hits or misses. Dunno if anyone pointed this out.

2. As @DEClimax has pointed out the heat effect duration is unintuitive. But we can test it out.

A little under 17 seconds total if you do nothing while heated.

I used 5 h. chain gun assaults and this knocked it down to 12.

l then used 8 h. chain gun moves and the up time dropped to about 10 seconds.

Then I went to 7 chain gun moves and it was still 11 seconds.

Then 3 chain gun moves while overheated for 14 seconds.

Lastly I did 2 chain gun moves which dropped it to 15 seconds.

So by the looks of it each chaingun move erases 1 second of overheat time. 8 is the max you can get off before the duration expires.

Tested this with other chaingun moves and it applies to all of them with some variance since each move has different durations with heavy CA being the shortest one I could find…

Metal ball and missiles don’t appear to effect duration any.

So anyone trying to maximize the efficiency of their overheat should avoid doing chain gun moves until they get in on their opponents.

1. While heated his missiles travel about 3/4 range (light and heavy) or less than half (heavy). Damage and hit box size look unchanged.

2. Like most projectiles you get more meter when they block then on hit. 5 blocked gun moves get you about half a bar of meter. 5 blocked missile moves gets you about 3/4 a bar. If you mix them up, you can get meter but is much more unsafe then throwing out one at a time. Missiles build meter faster but no heat. Guns build heat and meter but requires more shots to hit.

I think in general you should get your anti-airs super on point to keep opponents from jumping in at you whether placing missiles or medium chaingun assault to catch the jump in. Just keep in mind the rule of 5.

1. Exhaust ender, exhaust shadow, and natural cooldown all reset the heat down to 0 from overheat. So there’s no subtle speed down once overheated. It’s straight to 0.

2. It’s about a 5 second window between chaingun moves that another chaingun move will go to the next stage. So timing your moves every 5.5 to 6 seconds will let you use chaingun moves at the higher stages without overheating. Time it well enough and you can catch people trying to catch you by surprise as you overheat and can’t zone them out anymore.

I’m going to look at options to get in on people once you’re overheated as well as some options in neutral while not overheated later.

4 Likes

Yeah, anytime you have a move that hits on a diagonal like this it’s a strong move. Kilgore also stops in midair which changes his trajectory and can mess up an opponent’s anti air. I’m not any kind of tech wizard but I haven’t seen anything you can really do with it that leads to a combo. The overheated version does pretty good damage for a projectile in KI but I think that’s basically it.

It doesn’t need to go to a combo. It raises spin speed, builds meter, and controls space.

2 Likes

Although the move doesn’t lead for a combo(and it doesn’t need it for the reasons Declimax listed), it can lead to a combo with H. Missiles.
Heavy missiles, j.HP (missiles hits), you land ,and you could start a combo from there.

Extremely situational, but possible.

Still, not the goal of this move (starting a combo)

Like Climax & Dayv0 say, it’s not it’s comboability that makes it good, but everything else it does.

However, it can actually lead into a combo (no missiles) depending on where and how it hits. To combo off of it, you’ll want to connect it just before landing w/ a counterhit (why I mention baiting anti-airs). The tricky part is being able to gauge your spacing to follow up on it, either with jabs(xx), st.MPxx, or straight into L/EX.Dash.

Counterhit is pretty much a must, though.

I’m trying not to be all touchy about it, but I never said that his j.HP needed to combo into anything. I just pointed out that it didn’t. That’s a property of the move that’s worth mentioning in a game where most moves actually can serve as openers.

3 Likes

Does it carry counter hit state through the whole move? Otherwise the later hits should override the counterhit hitstun bonus, yeah?

1 Like

O.o
That’s a really good question.

I want to say yes, because I’ve hit w/ 2-3 bullets and still picked up the combo. I’m unsure if this is more counterhit carry or proximity/height related though, thinking on it.

Climax, always asking the good question. <3 your brain, big fella/little lady.

@BigBadAndy It’s good, hoss. I just wanted to shine a light on it’s comboability, because it IS present, it’s just unorthodox for a button. You said you hadn’t seen the comboability yourself, but you saw the other good stuff (angled, trajectory altering).

1 Like

I found what I think is a better 1 chance off of overheat throw it’s a few more % than the one I was using before but it also leaves a fair chunk of PD behind too which is nice.

3 Likes

Lol, I try~ :heart:

I checked it out, it’s possible to combo from a really low hit regardless of counter hit, but at that point you should really just be using regular buttons.

2 Likes

It sucks that his zoning isn’t even that good from what i’ve seen.

1 Like

I highly disagree.

The combination of gun normals, good antiairs, use of shadow meter to make himself safe after any wiff/block, and missiles covering the stage, his zoning it’s really good.

I have managed to win fights by timeouts with a huge life lead. I just tried to win without performing a single combo… and it’s possible!

Non optimal, of course. But he can put a projectile in any point of the screen, and has great control of it.

Also, I believe that his teleport is VERY underrated. It’s just perfect to his setplay

It depends on the matchup. He’s going to struggle to zone someone like spinal who can close the distance instantly, or eyedol with his low+fast jump in warrior body and superior counterzoning in mage body. For characters without such strong anti-zoning tools he’s going to do a lot better. And of course, as long as you can react to what your opponent wants to do, you can bail out of mistakes with exhaust cancel and turn them into punishes.

1 Like

Yep, Spinal or Fulgore, for example, can just ignore his zoning. Some MUs are suited into getting overheated fast to apply preassure up close.

But against character who struggle against zoning…

Oh god…
https://media.makeameme.org/created/yeessh-make-them.jpg

1 Like