Kilgore Community Fund

Watching the uploads of Max’s Kilgore play on youtube and I’m starting to see the trash talk, blaming Kilgore every time he drops a combo, calling him a piece of ■■■■, thanking Kilgore every time something goes wrong in the match.

1 Like

I’m watching the same videos and I just see a guy playing the game. People need to relax. Kilgore isn’t a person with feelings, it’s not like he’s taking Max’s comments personally.

Let’s analyze these step by step.

Increased support means better showings
Maybe. Depends on what you mean by “better.” I think the idea that a bigger prize pool is going to double attendance is far fetched and maybe we will attract another big name FGC player or two.

Which increases interest.
Maybe, but interest from whom? So much of this is based on the idea that getting the FGC interested is a big deal for the game. I think that’s dubious.

Which increases logevity
This is circular if by “longevity” you mean the length of time people are playing in tournaments. If by longevity you mean sales I think they are going to be selling more content to people playing SL than to the FGC.

And sales.
I doubt this very much. In the abstract it makes sense but I simply won’t believe (without evidence) that KI tournaments are selling significant numbers of copies of the game. An EVO stream has what, 20,000 viewers? Even if none of them own the game already and all of them run out to buy it afterwards that’s a pretty paltry number of sales.

Which profits Microsoft,
Only if it’s true. And it has to balance out the money spent supporting the tournament and administering it etc. then of course it has to be significant enough to even be noticed…

Which means more budget for IG
This is a dubious claim. It’s not impossible but it’s a reach.

So yeah. This all sounds logical but there are enough steps in the pathway that are either highly unlikely or at least questionable that I don’t find this reasoning very convincing. To be honest I think dropping this line of argument and just saying “a bunch of is really like these tournaments and we are glad to see MS supporting them” is more convincing. Then you don’t have to wallow in convincing everyone that this is an effective marketing strategy. Look at the people who are thrilled about Ultimates. They don’t need to claim that Ultimates are going to increase sales. They just need to say “yay! We got something we like.”

I don’t think a single person is trying to imply that Kilgore’s feelings are hurt, they’re just saying that a person of influence such as Max who’s usually the biggest KI fanboy can influence weak minded followers and make the character look bad, possibly hurting the character’s sales and the attached community fund, when the simple fact is Max isn’t well versed with him yet, not that the character is busted as his comments would lead people to believe.

Personally I don’t think its that big of a deal, but now i can see where they’re coming from.

I don’t know about that. Max’s comments lead me to believe that Kilgore is a complex character with low damage that’s hard to win with. That sounds like pretty much the consensus from everyone so far. I haven’t heard anyone say anything different - and again I’m watching the videos too. I don’t hear him saying anything especially negative or encouraging people not to buy or play the character.

Street Fighter is arguably the biggest name in the FG genre and the perennial love child of the FGC. SFV was released with a laser like focus on that very community and by most measures was a train wreck. Right now on twitch SFV has < 1k viewers, MKX has about 250.

You’re going to have a very difficult time convincing me that the FGC’s reach/influence is all that impressive. I’d rather see that money spent on ads on IGN or a lambo for @TheKeits.

That’s a real bummer because now I’m torn; I love KI and want to support it, but I don’t want to encourage another community fund. It literally provides no value to me. Stages, skins, accessories, more artifacts in SL, ANYTHING else would be better. I’ll echo the ‘why no KI Gold?’ thought.

I wish we knew the terms of the next 2 characters. If they are a good value for a player like me I’d be happy to ‘take one for the team’ and support the CF by purchasing Kilgore. But as it sits I’d be encouraging IG to take a direction that’s worthless to me.

Welp, I broke guys. I needed KI back in my life and Kilgore was the perfect excuse. I took advice some dude on here said on just skipping on fast food for the week to justify the purchase. I like KI again.

I like Kilgore, but he won’t be winning competitive game I feel. If they block a lot Kilgore has little to no options imo.

I broke too, I completely disagree with how this was handed but I wanted the character and I support KI regardless of the poor choices they make regarding stuff like this. KI is still my game and my wallet is always going to support the development of more content.

3 Likes

i just purchase, Kilgore for the KI support and the ki world cup …

2 Likes

Ok let’s be real. Capcom didn’t make sf5 with a lazor focus for the fgc. They didn’t make the game entirely for tournaments. All that happened was that they didnt want to release the game and miss their biggest money making hype tournament and instead released a rushed game hoping that the hardcore people would cover their losses because they made a incomplete game.

If sf5 was purely made for the hardcore people they wouldn’t give it the infamous 8 frames, they would have made a better training mode with more options , the character trials would be made to create and show off specific realistic combos that are important in that characters gameplan instead of flashy inefficient combos.

Most importantly it would have more depth and flashyness . More depth means that the skill ceiling and ways for pros to find unique play styles and and tech and be rewarded for their time spent in the lab instead of hitting the character skill ceiling.

Flashy cool stuff is also important because the tournament scene isn’t just about the pro but the hundreds of people who go to the event knowing they won’t win but going to watch and support the game as well as those watching at home. Like people said tournaments are also about enticing people to buy and play the game, like a kind of advertisement. If people are bored watching your games that is a failure in that department.

It’s not that much guys I bet a lot of you spend that on a pack of cigarettes or a 6 pack or even an online movie

It does seem to be at least assistance in supporting the game
$5 that’s a coffee from Starbucks lol

I can only speak from my personal interest. I don’t play KI to play against AI. I like to play against other people and while I have some friends who play their schedule does not always match mine as such it’s important to me that there is an active online playerbase.

This is where the significance of tournament play comes into play. Find me a game active in tournaments that does NOT have an online playerbase. Because I’ll find you plenty of games that no longer see tournament play who have no players online to que against.

Again if you’re someone who plays fighting games and playing against AI this probably has no relevance to you. But the fact is the games that are streamed and the games that are played in tournament almost always have an active online playerbase. And so people like me who want to play against other humans find this to be an important aspect.

Active tournament play does not equal an online player base. You can have an active online player base without an active tournament scene. An active player base causes an active tournament scene. An active tournament scene is not the cause of an active online playerbase.

1 Like

It’s a symbiotic relationship.

And I never claimed causality I’m talking about sustainability and growth which is very different. We’re not talking a fresh new game we’re talking about games that have existed for a fair bit of time.

Do you think blizzard activision invests so heavily into the competitive scene because they are just doing fan service to their hardcore pro players or do you think they invest in it because they know it will effect their bottomline?

It’s 2017 Tournaments and Streaming are a very relevant form of marketing. You can spend your budget on TV and Magazine ads but that’s not really adapting to the times.

On Kilgore stream, when they revealed his price and showed KI Tour Schedule, the events were planned from January to March.

As we know, Kilgore`s price is meant to support prizes for those tournaments.

Does that mean that next character reveal will occur just after the tour, on March or later? Damn that is a long time…

I sort of get where you are coming from, but I don’t agree.

SF5 was explicitly created for the hardcore tournament crowd, and that is evident by the fact that they rushed it out for tournament. They dropped the Arcade mode, the story mode, etc., al modes that the casual crowd wanted/needed, just to get the game out. Sure they lowered the execution barrier and all that, but they did that with the expressed goal of enticing newer players to the tournament scene (the in-game lag was intentionally put there to try and equalize the offline and online experience).

In practice the success of all this can be questioned, but yeah, they succeeded in bolstering the scene for a time, but suffered in the sales department with the casual crowd.

I have my own thoughts and opinions on why SFV didn’t light the world on fire with its release, but that all has little to nothing to do with this thread.

For some people, the price was not the problem. It was where the other $5 was going.

1 Like

5 goes to the community fund… what about the other 5 dollars?

Thats just the cost for a normal character.

I know but does it go to something though?

Probably not, it will cover the normal production costs and profit I suppose.

1 Like