Kilgore Community Fund

You seem to be missing the point.

Its not that $5 is an absurd amount of money but if you went to Starbucks for a $5 coffee and they said “Yeah that’ll be $10, the other $5 is for a professional coffee drinking club that you’re not a part of, you’re only $5 for the coffee.” then they proceed to argue with you that its not that much money and it helps their business.

You’d say to the barista “I don’t give a damn about your elite club, I just want my coffee.”.

2 Likes

True, but it would be a special flavour coffee, there would still be all the regular coffee’s for the €5 price.

Companies do stunts with actions, prices, etc all the time, It’s fine, just like with everything else, you dont feel its worth your money, dont buy it.

In my experience its often the people that have the compulsions to have a complete game, full achievement score etc, that feel ‘forced’ to buy the game for this price because they cant ‘not’ buy it, but that is hardly MS or IG’s fault.

I do feel bad for the people who really cant justify the expense because of…reasons… but they will be tight for money regardless of what they want, so its not a KI problem, its a financial problem.

Also, I feel their intentions are pure, so to speak…since they probably would sell more Kilgore’s for the €5 price than the €10 one and they dont get to keep the extra 5 since it goes to promotion for the game/tournament scene

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s the fault of years upon years of game developers making games where they hid all kinds of stuff in them and then give you a completion ranking, and things to that effect. Now developers know that people have been conditioned to feel the need to complete games, unlock everything, master every mode, find every easter egg, secret code, and glitch, only now they attatch ever increasing price tags to the “complete” experience.

1 Like

My only problem with Kilgore is the value.

I bought the Shago fund 3 times, on 3 accounts simply because I wanted to fund Shago’s moveset. I also bought the Day One Xbox LIVE card just to get Shago’s skin when I picked up my console at midnight release for the console. I have no problem sharing my money with the KI team but it has to be worth it.

The Shago fund gave us $20 in KI gold, that alone justifies the $20 price tag. On top of that it gave people who didn’t have the Shago skin a chance to buy it, that alone was probably a $10 value on its own. So already the value of the fund bundle is greater than what you’re paying, on its own that is a great deal. Then on top of that they promised to give Shago a unique moveset if they reached the goal and it had even more incentive with the tournament support.

Kilgore’s fund is literally just a $5 character and a forced donation to tournaments. It offers nothing of worth beyond the character so people who don’t care about the pro’s bank accounts feel like they’re being ripped off because they have no say in the matter. Its either you support the pros or you don’t get the new character they’ve been dangling in front of everyone for weeks.

I bought Kilgore, I payed $10 for him because I love this game and I intend to support it for the foreseeable future but I’m not going to open my wallet and pay multiple times and truly support this fundraiser without actual incentive for me to do so. If this fund had offered up an exclusive skin pack or even just a gold/terror pack to justify the price I might have been more inclined or better yet had it offered us a chance to get new stages for the homeless Season 3 characters… Yeah I’d probably drop $50 on Kilgore bundles to fund it.

The fact is the vast majority of paying KI players don’t watch tournaments and don’t care if someone walks off with a ton of cash that they helped donate. They just see a $10 character and don’t understand why. Now if they had offered a skin pack on the side that was exclusive to the fund to raise money… That would have worked, nobody would have said a word and it probably would have been received positively. The problem here is that they didn’t offer anything to shoot for with the other 99% of the 6 million players unlike the first fund.

This “fund” if you can even call it that was a step in the wrong direction for the rest of us, especially after hearing the devs tease Shadow Orchid or Maya in that stream last year, giving us the expectation that the next fund would include some kind of in-game content.

Anywho long rant but still, this fund is a giant disappointment.

Then just don’t buy it.

1 Like

I have the strangest feeling that if they made a trailer with Kilgore at the end with the pricing of the Community Bundle with $10 of KI gold, Kilgore, and have a teaser at the end which is the Jago ultimate, things would’ve been a bit better received.

5 Likes

Are you talking to me?

Because the “don’t buy it” line has to be the laziest retort to this situation that I can think of. KI is a game about characters, so overcharging for one of them who was teased and even put in the story mode with a playable demo just doesn’t cut it. We as the customers who pay for the game, who’s wallets are expected to spread wide open for this fund have a right to be upset and voice our concerns.

Simply saying “don’t like it, don’t buy it” doesn’t really further the conversation, or validate either side of the argument. The KI community is passionate, we’re going to support out favorite game and of course every player worth their weight in nanobots is going to need the newest character, even if he is an overpriced remix.

1 Like

That would have been great!

I do like the idea of the Kilgore pack coming with some KI Gold. Just $5 of the stuff since the other half is going to Kilgore. Since KI Gold can be earned pretty now (usually enough to buy a mid-high tier Shadow Skin like a 1000 G Fulgore or something in a few weeks) giving it away in character bundles seems to be a really good way to help win some people over.

I already got him so I don’t know (or even particularly care) if it’d be added retroactively or not but it’d be a pretty cool thing to do. I got him because I just really wanted a new character and I thought he looked fun. Got some dosh set aside for the next few characters too, though I hope they learn from the backlash and include just a little bit of extra hotness to sooth people.

I haven’t read this whole thread, so I don’t know if anybody has brought this up, here goes:

Maybe $5 for a fighting game character is a little too good to still be true in 2017. If you look outside of games it doesn’t take long to see prices are going up on everything, its hard to believe that $60 still gets you so much video game, or that developers will bother making anything for $5. Sure, skin packs, cosmetics, and things of that nature are an easy $5, but a lot of work goes into designing and balancing a fighting character, and in a game where the roster is as large as KI’s that requires an awful lot of balancing. Every new character that gets added in is basically throwing a wrench into everything thats come before it, and the team has to spend a lot of time before and after the character comes out tweaking numbers and trying to regain that balance.

Now I totally understand that $5 is still the going rate in every other game, but I can’t help but expect that is going to change sooner or later. This isn’t meant to be a devil’s advocate argument, and I’m obviously not hoping that prices go up; I just think that when you look at how much work goes into making and balancing a KI character $10 doesn’t seem like too much to ask.

The way I see it the other $5 going to support the FGC and KI community is a bonus, the same way that the KI Gold that came with Shadow Jago was a bonus.
^Of course if you want to retroactively give Kilgore owners some KI Gold that’d be cool too IG^

Exactly. Simple as that. Or wait for him to go on sale.

/Thread

1 Like

Why would a shadow orchid or maya be ingame content and not Kilgore?

Kilgore is finished, the entire point of my statement was that we expected to be funding content that does not exist.

A character, is a character, is a character, weather we pay for its creation in advance or after…and Kilgore was probably more work and costs more to make than Shago.

For example:

• Kilgore has his own theme (just think about how much it would cost to order a themesong from some well known music guys)
  • Shago’s looks were already there for IG to work with, Kilgore’s appearance had to be designed of off Fulgore by IG
  • More characters to balance against now with a bigger cast

Alright well you completely missed the point but that’s ok.

Its not about how much work went into each character, its the fact that we didn’t have an in-game goal to donate towards. I’m not going to argue the semantics of it, obviously its not the same.

Thats ok I did miss the point :sweat_smile:

But working towards the goal of a character, or already having the character finished…I dont know, in the end its still about a character so, to me, its not a big deal. But to each their own. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I personally would have preferred the option to donate to the fund directly instead of locking a character behind it. Many others have said things along the lines of “well you shouldn’t mind paying the extra since you are supporting the tourney scene”

By that argument should I support the butchers shop even though I’m a vegetarian?

Having played as KG in SL he’s not the kind of character I would purchase and plenty of his animations have been borrowed from Fulgore. If a character like Eagle or maybe an awesome guest comes along I may partake with the cash but only if I have the choice to donate

Just asking:

Is the reason you would not like to purchase him is because some of his animations are borrowed from fulgore?

I’m Just confused on the wording there… :confused:

Also:

Calling it now: Eagle is gonna be mix of Thunder and Tj Combo!

Sure, they can buy it or not. No one’s arguing that.

Regardless of that choice, letting the developers know why they are or are not buying it still serves a purpose beyond that.

1 Like

< shrug > I’m a pretty big KI fan and I haven’t bought Kilgore. And it’s not even because he’s a remix or I think he’s overpriced, but rather because I dislike the business decisions being made around KI Gold and what it can be used for.

As a consumer, the ultimate power you have is the power of your wallet, to pay or not pay for content that you feel is good or lacking in some way. It’s often repeated because it’s true - if you don’t like something a vendor (any vendor) is doing with regard to their product, then do not buy it. It really is that simple. The departments that make these decisions don’t make them based on forum feedback - they make them based on what they think (and what they know from past pricing points) people are willing to pay for.

6 Likes