Kilgore Community Fund

Wow. You are really mad over this KI gold. I think it is great that you are sticking to not buying Kilgore, because of this.

Itā€™s an understandable frustration.

Seems to me like they gave too much KI gold in the S3 Ultra Edition + Shago fund, and theyā€™re worried they wonā€™t make enough money off this new content if they let fans just pay with the currency theyā€™ve been sitting on for a year.

Haha. Iā€™m not even necessarily ā€œmadā€ about it - Iā€™ve simply made a conscious decision as a consumer to no longer buy any content for the game ā€œjust to support itā€. Iā€™ve bought a ton of things for KI that Iā€™ve no intention of using, simply because I love the game and want to support what the team is doing. But theyā€™ve altered their pricing structure in such a way that I am no longer going to act on ā€œgoodwillā€ to buy KI content, and will henceforth only be buying things that I personally want to use. Kilgore does not interest me, and so I will not buy him.

Thereā€™s no real anger around it. They (generic corporate ā€œtheyā€, not necessarily any of our gracious hosts here on the forums) have made their decision as a company, and I am simply choosing to respond in the only real fashion I as a consumer can. I wish the team continued success, but because of the model theyā€™ve chosen Iā€™m done buying content I donā€™t plan on using.

6 Likes

I am glad you noticed that I was just messing around when I used the word ā€œmadā€. You have the right method, but it just sucks that there is not enough people that will support you and do what you are doing.

I do feel sorry for IG. I know they did not make this decision, but are stuck dealing with the backlash.

Itā€™s 50% this and 50% Iā€™m not keen on his play style.

1 Like

Just to be clear we did boo PaulB when he got up to play in 2016. It was all in good jest though.

Bottom line is that even if you donā€™t care about tournaments. They help to put the game out there and get it into of the eyes of potential consumers. If more people see they game more people will end up picking it up. I didnā€™t know ā– ā– ā– ā–  about Tekken but I just happened to see it at evo one year and I went ā€œDamn those combos look sick! I want to do that!ā€ and I picked it up. Buy paying 10 bucks (which is literally the price of a god damn Large Pepperoni Pizza/ Funko POP/ or less than an Amiibo) youā€™re helping to keep KI in the eyes of people that could by the game. You are literally making sure the game lives so that you get your accessories and new characters.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure that season 2 going up for free on Games with gold will bring in more players than a couple of high-end professional tournaments will.

2 Likes

Everything helps, plus we donā€™t know that theyā€™ll even buy anything.

Iā€™m getting a little tired of spurious food/coffee comparisons for Kilgore. $10 is also the price for Suoer Mario Run, a matinee movie ticket, 3lbs if ground beef at the Safeway or 30 bottles of the sparkling water I like. Itā€™s missing the point to focus on the gen dollars. People are complaining because itā€™s being inflated by a public service project that they donā€™t feel like paying into. I donā€™t like being the Grinch (and I already bought Kilgore) but I donā€™t really see this is unreasonable and I honestly donā€™t think lobbying people about how great offline tournaments are for the game is going to sway them.

I am 100% certain that this is true, BUT the percentage of players who discover the game through tournament play that actually pick it up and develop their skills and stick around in the community is probably much higher. Iā€™m not a snob, and if MS was ignoring the masses in favor of trying to recruit the FGC I would agree with you. But, in my opinion, they really are doing their best to cultivate all audiences for KI. So attracting fans of competetive fighters and not just people who will download the game and play it one afternoon with their friends does make a reasonable amount of sense.

3 Likes

Iā€™d be lying if I said I wasnā€™t like ā€œuuuuuhhhhhhhhā€ when I first heard 10 bucks. Itā€™s definitely a hard pill to swallow if youā€™re looking at it as ā€œA $10 rework of fulgore with no retro and only a couple of accessoriesā€.

1 Like

This was me too. Frankly, it seemed aggravatingly inflated and a large part of it is my own resentment at the behavior of a lot (although certainly not all) of our high level players. Unfortunately itā€™s tough to point to that group and say ā€œdonā€™t you want to support these ambassadors for the game?ā€

But I slept on it, realized Iā€™ve sunk stupid amounts of money into the game already and I didnā€™t feel like living without the character for a quibble over $5 and the principle of ā€œpay for your own damn tournament.ā€

1 Like

This probably wonā€™t happen with the next charecters but if it does I hope we get a heads up that way Iā€™m not sitting there salty that I canā€™t play the new character because I didnā€™t have $10 (plus tax) sitting in my account.

#Amen to that.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œBigBadAndy, post:211, topic:17468ā€]
I am 100% certain that this is true, BUT the percentage of players who discover the game through tournament play that actually pick it up and develop their skills and stick around in the community is probably much higher. Iā€™m not a snob, and if MS was ignoring the masses in favor of trying to recruit the FGC I would agree with you. But, in my opinion, they really are doing their best to cultivate all audiences for KI. So attracting fans of competetive fighters and not just people who will download the game and play it one afternoon with their friends does make a reasonable amount of sense.
[/quote]I agree with you, theyā€™re doing a fantastic job and I really donā€™t want my posts in this thread to imply that I hate the FGC or something. I just hate how Kilgore and the subsequent fundraiser was handled, it was pretty tasteless and as a casual player I donā€™t appreciate being strong-armed into flipping the bill for the 1% of the KI players who attends offline events if I want to continue to enjoy the game.

I know where I want my $5 tournament money to go. I want soap for all tournament players, and a mandatory personal hygiene rule in place. I know why some of these pros are good ā€œI am talking about all fighting games nowā€ it is because they spend more time playing than showering.

IG already said that they are not doing the $5 tournament thing with the next character. They said they were going to do something else.

@BigBadAndy , Iā€™m with you 100% in your views and opinions on this Community Fund matter. I also bought Kilgore but am not happy where my ā€œotherā€ $5 is going, mostly because I donā€™t know exactly what itā€™s going to be used for and if itā€™ll truly benefit the game the way I think it should (content and longevity).

As a member of the KI Community Iā€™d like to see a portion of the Fund go to where itā€™s truly deserved: to the people that have made selfless contributions for little else than the love and passion for this game. @Infilament is the first person that comes to mind as his guide is the end-all be-all reference for Killer Instinct. I have no idea how much time he put into it but I appreciate it and Iā€™d like to see him rewarded for it.

Iā€™ve been watching the 8bitbeatdown while reading through this important topic and I donā€™t know if @l8BHZombiel gets enough credit for these phenomenal online tournaments.

@Sajam is one of, if not the best KI commentators due not only to his deep knowledge of the game but also his clear analysis during crazy gameplay and matchups. He truly saved the day at Evo this year when there were initially a couple sub-par commentators that did not serve the game well at the premier fighting game tournament of the year.

I donā€™t know if heā€™s on here but Brandon Alexander (I really hope Iā€™m getting his name right) has been dedicated to this game for as long as Iā€™ve been watching tournaments on Twitch. His enthusiasm is awesome and infectious.

This is in no way a complete list as there are many more people I havenā€™t mentioned but are probably equally deserving.

2 Likes

Yes. I am 100% with you on this one. The community fund should go to the community. Things like @Infilamentā€™s guide benefits the community a lot more than tournament funds that most of the community doesnā€™t benefit from. Iā€™d say 8bit beatdown is very important to KIā€™s tournament scene because more people can access it.

Well zombie and sajam have places where you can donate to them. I think infilā€™s site also has a donation link. And Brandon would probably just use any money you donated to him to help fund ki events anyway. Either way these people already have places where you can donate to them if thatā€™s where you want your money to go.