Kilgore Community Fund

If they had revealed a fundraiser today for ultimates without having just teased them and did so in a way that was reasonable like giving up KI gold or skins WITH the donation it would have gone though the roof. Might have even hit the goal faster than the Shago fund did. Even offering up stages for the homeless season 3 character would have generated an insane amount of hype, the problem with this is it feels forced and you’re not getting your money’s worth, they’re literally just skimming an extra $5 off the top whether or not you give a darn about tournaments and the average Joe who wants Kilgore only sees the $10 price tag.

And they’re right to be angry, nowhere in-game does it say its a fundraiser. It just says Kilgore, give us $10. The average player doesn’t come here, they don’t follow KI on Twitter or tune in for developer streams, to them they fire up the game after waiting for the countdown to end and they see $10.00 on their screen.

I have said before, the $10 was not the problem, I just didn’t like that $5 went to tournament funds. I don’t like supporting a bunch of players who pan-handle on stream so they can go to the larger tournaments. They stream 4-6 hours a night for 1-2 weeks before the tournament, then they go and the streaming comes to almost a halt until the next tournament. It works the same exact way with game patches also. I don’t want to support these types of people in any way.

There are several of us “I am including you :slight_smile:” “you other guys know who you are” I don’t want to name without permission, also I don’t want someone upset if I forget to name them" That are on these fourms everyday. It does not take a patch/update, or some new content to get us to come back because we love KI as the game that it is and not because it makes us money “don’t get me wrong, if my X1 spit out a dollar everytime I started KI that would be cool :smile:

1 Like

Right on bro! I dont like the pay to watch me play a game method either. Ive never paid anyone on twitch …I just dont get it. Why cant they get a job and pay their own way? that’s what I would do? I would never ask for money without giving some sort of reward back (Like Kick starter)
Most of them dont even teach you anything, they just ■■■■■ and complain when they loose LOL

Like when I was on Hk smash stream… he threw a fit when I beat him LOL

I was on some kids stream tonight in exhibition and he complained the whole time about lag and wake up Dps and frame data,and how his Rash was a low level against my Killgore … OMG I wanted to punch him through the head set! But he had me muted. OMG he sucked … I wrecked him 5-0

2 Likes

I know this is sort of off topic, but i have been watching Max. “I thought I would try to give him the benefit”. He did not disappoint me. I have watched this stream for 2 hours and he has done nothing but bash Kilgore. He bashes Kilgore about every 15 sec. Now it is so bad that the chat is jumping on board with nicknames for Kilgore, and even more bashing.

How is this good for KI? I would be really upset if my pool money went to support someone like this.

That’s uncharacteristic of Max, generally he’s KI’s #1 fanboy. Figured he’d like Kilgore since he loves Fulgore so much.

He is just stating his honest opinion about a product he bought.
And no, he is not bashing him every 15 seconds. I have been watching him play Kilgore both yesterday and at this very moment I am writing this. He thinks Kilgore is one of the hardest characters in the game, and yes, he is skeptical of him, but it is all within his right to critisize something he’s spend money on.

However, Max loves Killer Instinct. And that’s why he bought Kilgore, to support the game, to support the devs, and to support the tournament scene, because he wants to see it thrive! That doesn’t mean he should love everything about the game and every single character unconditionally. If there’s something he doesn’t like about the game or about a character, he is fully within his right to state such.

Just like you do.

2 Likes

Have noticed the chat? Every time he makes a crack, the chat jumps all over it.

I haven’t seen the stream or the chat… but twitch chats are an entity in their own.

1 Like

I don’t read the chat, because I don’t care about the people there. I am watching his stream to see what Kilgore is about, to see what Max thinks of it, and because I overall enjoy his streams and watching him and the rest of the Yo! Videogames cast play alot of fun games.

It doesn’t matter what people in the chat says. What matters is how a man who has bought a product is entitled to his opinion as he tries it out.

If you do not share his opinion, that is completely alright! But Max and no one else are obligated to praise something JUST to promote it, especially not if there’s something they don’t like.

Thing is, Kilgore is ONE character out of an entire roster. It’s quite fair that there’s some of those characters people don’t like. And it is completely alright for them to state such. There’s nothing constructive in just praising something, ignoring all the flaws and bad stuff.

2 Likes

Wow, hearing Max just say he’s about to give up playing Fulgore after them changing this instinct again.

Didn’t hear him bash Kilgore though, at least since I started to watch.

Fulgore has seen actually very few changes in 2 years.

S2: Rework of the character. Okay, this is the baseline.
S2 (halfway): Lost a bit of damage on some stuff. Okay, whatever, nothing changes about anything.
S2 (a little over halfway): Lost full screen on heavy up-laser. Throw a bit more fireballs now, maybe the vs. Sadira matchup changes a bit.

That was everything that happened to Fulgore for one year.

S3: Rework of medium and heavy laser. Changes his full screen zoning a bit, changes what button you pressed during your special cancel (light laser -> medium laser)
S3 9 months later: New muscle memory/setups to dink around with in instinct.

I mean… I understand Max likes to say he doesn’t play much KI and can’t keep up with stuff. And to be fair, he does play a ton of different games. But if Max can’t keep up with this pretty simple list over 2 years, I dunno what to say.

4 Likes

I would be willing to buy Kilgore if we had information on business model for two upcoming characters. If they gonna be packed together in some kind of “off season bundle”, then its cool.

But when it turns out every one of the three will cost 10$ and can only be bought separatedly, there will be tsunami of backlash, and I can bet people who already bought Kilgore would feel ripped off af.

I don’t want to start flying off the handle about what Max did or didn’t say in his stream about Kilgore or Fulgore. He’s been a big proponent of the game since long before it’s release and I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. To be fair, talking for hours in end to an invisible audience is actually pretty challenging and some of these guys need to say stuff just to fill the space. If you’re having trouble learning a character what else can you say? If he starts campaigning outside of a live stream for nerfs etc then I will reevaluate.

@HailFireSpawn just to pick up on something you said - I’m not entirely certain this community fund won’t be as successful as the Shago one. It will definitely not be as popular with the people on this forum, but just like the FGC it’s tempting but wrong to think the folks on the forum are somehow representative of the playerbase as a whole. First, people tend to post their complaints more than the things they like. Second, we are all really into the game. Justby way of example, according to the internet season passes and paid dlc are the worst thing in the universe and the price of everything is outrageous. According to data in the real world people are spending hundreds of dollars to buy hats at subway surfer. The collective wisdom of the Internet may be good for something, but it sure isn’t “wiki wisdom for business success.”

The reason I think this community fund might well be a big success (regardless of the fact that I don’t like it) and bring in as much or more revenue than the Shago fund is that $10 is less than $20 and more people will likely pony up the $10. The reward is clear and immediate - you’re buying Kilgore. The player base is at least as large and likely several fold larger than at the time of the Shago fund and Kilgore is cool enough that people will want to buy him. My only real concern is that they are eroding the generally very positive relationship with the community.

In any case I think the folks at MS and IG are at least as smart and sophisticated as we are. I doubt they are stunned and astonished that people are complaining about the cost. People will complain about the cost of everything. Some of them who are FGC enthusiasts might be surprised about the depth of bad feeling some of the fans have for the tournament crowd at this point. But they also have a huge advantage over usin that they are looking at data. They know how many people bought into the Shago CF. they know how many people have paid $10 for Shago since then, how many people are shelling out $5 for skin packs and my guess is they have a pretty good real time understanding of how many people are buying Kilgore. If he’s flying off the shelf then they aren’t going to worry too much about complaints on the forum. I’m sure they read our feedback and take it seriously but I wouldn’t over estimate the importance of fan backlash on the forums.

2 Likes

You are right. Max and everyone else has the right to not like something. I just wanted to point out that like other streamers, that he does just as much damage to the game as he does good. Nothing more. He knows that character balance takes time, but yet continued to bash a 2 day old character, and pass judgement on every mirror match. "Like other KI players were ruining his Kigore stream by selecting Kilgore also.

I just thought I would give Max another chance, but I can’t. He might like KI like I do, but trashing a new character on stream just shows a lack of class.

Thus is my last post on this matter.

1 Like

I just don’t think this is true. And I don’t think he could do anything in a single stream to affect his overall positive impact on the game. There’s a big difference between complaining about a character you don’t get and the kind of truly toxic “S3 sucks” kind of stuff other people are doing. If he makes a video and posts it in YouTube about how Kilgore is a huge disaster then I will reconsider. But in his streams he says a lot of dumb ■■■■ because he’s talking for hours. That’s part of why I don’t generally tune in. Keep in mind this is the guy who got together with his buddies to make “■■■■■ ■■■■■ ■■■■■■ go by in the DoA scroll. He’s not the savior/saint of KI. But the guy has a KI1 Fulgore cutout in his game room.

4 Likes

If you buy 3 seasons of a TV show on blu ray does that mean you’re entitled to everything they release post the seasons you own? :sleeping:

2 Likes

Dude relax, you have never liked max so there is a little bit of bias in this decision.Max says things off the cuff. I dont think he literally hates Killgore, every stream of every new character if he is loosing he says typical stuff like we all do when we loose "Thats BS, oh come on, WTF, Im not liking this guy, why doesn’t this work, that’s broken, this sucks, I hate how this works, ect…)

Now like Andy said, if he makes a youtube video declaring a state of emergency on the price of Killgore and the direction of KI … well that’s different. But what he spouts off during a long stream cant be taken to seriously IMO
All in all I def do not put Max in the same category as the other streamers that pan handle to make it to tournaments we were discussing earlier.

Max:
Supports KI, works on KI, plays KI and uploads funny videos like “week of…”, doesn’t berate KI…

Some other people:
CBs are broken, fix that face, KI is dying if they don’t listen me, Orchid thong retro…

Yeah, give me 1000 Maxs more. I always liked Max(in fact, he was the first youtuber I followed), and although I don’t watch his streams(timezones don’t fit), I highly doubt he was being toxic. Some of us, sometimes, when something goes wrong(a bad read for example), we can be salty or something like that. It happens that a streamer has witness when he does that. And that’s ok

Spreading false info… thats another thing. And I don’t believe Max does it

9 Likes

Well, since the approach for the next character is confirmed to be different, I’m guessing that Kilgore is the only “community fund” character, and the other two will be regularly priced.

This makes me feel like the other two characters will definitely be remixes as well. I mean, why would someone buy a re-imagined Fulgore for $10 over two completely new characters that are cheaper?

Another possibility could be a second community fund for Shago/Omen full accessories using the next character(s). Maybe funding for stages, or other sort of fluff/non-gameplay content.

Yeah, I don’t necessarily like or agree with everything Max says, nor do I watch his youtube vids/streams that much (especially now that I’m really into KI 2013), but I definitely think Max is and has been great overall for the KI community, and he seems to be a nice person overall. His Assist Me vids and Weeks Of …'s get tons of views and I’m sure a ton of people were either introduced to KI or reintroduced to KI 2013 (I’m in this group) through one of Max’s videos. I think they tend to gets like 50-100k viewers per video.

When a new character arrives, many folks comments are either complaints, it’s broken, I don’t like this, dont like that, why doesnt this work, etc etc . But after some time (or by the end of Max’s Week Of vids), the comments are more like, ahh! that makes sense, got it, ok ok ok, ohhhh, nice, duuuuudee, yess!!! etc etc