KI4 Getting Announced at E3 2019, Release in 2020 before EVO?

PS4 ? Uhhh ? That’s not happening buddy lol

Yesterday, hell, even earlier today, I probably would have agreed with you. Now, in light of today’s news, well…

That being said, KI being on a Playstation system doesn’t seem too far fetched…maybe not PS4, but PS5, possibly.

When Killer Instinct’s creative director likes a tweet about KI4 coming in 2020 MingLee

(INB4 don’t look too much into it)

2 Likes

Well, this is referring to the guy that kept trolling everyone on whether or not Eyedol was happening, so…yeah, I’m personally not putting much faith in the idea that his like has any deeper meaning than just to show he’s enjoying a fan’s enthusiasm.

This becoming as weird (and kind of creepy) as the milleena fans with ed boon dude.

(Well maybe not but still calm your butt)

3 Likes

Yeah I don’t think I ever heard them say that about KI’s player numbers. That’s pretty amazing. I really hope they want to represent as many genres as possible. Seems like they were just covering shooters and racing games and then picking their targets here and there while assuming the rest would be sorted out with multiplatform titles.

Hopefully this generation finally proved to MS that this kind of approach doesn’t work as well with core genre enthusiasts and even casuals that can rather easily discern which way the wind’s blowing for specific types of games and follow it. Sony has the RPGs, Sony has the Japanese games, Sony has the single player action games, Sony has the fighting games and so on and so on. Multiplatform games don’t help if the exclusives are still tilting so far toward one console over the other.

This is what concerns me a little as far as KI and the Xbox fighting game scene. I tend to wonder if MS is really prepared to make the investment to lure fighting game fans back to the console. I mean sure, if you’re already buying a system, KI would be a nice exclusive to have and you’ll get multiplatform stuff like Mortal Kombat, Injustice, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Dragonball FighterZ etc.

But if you enjoy the genre and you see Street Fighter, Guilty Gear Xrd, KoF XIV, BlazBlue, Dissidia Final Fantasy and others only on Sony’s system, which are you choosing? Are you going to miss out on one game or six (obviously more, but still).

So if MS doesn’t do some heavy courting of studios like ArcSys, SNK and others to end that exclusivity they have with Sony and perhaps get more exclusives for themselves, either through these companies or perhaps others like Sega (Virtua Fighter? Fighting Vipers? Eternal Champions?) or Capcom (Darkstalkers?) or others, then will they essentially be ceding the genre’s core base to Sony in the next generation as well? If they do that, will they have as much of a need for KI to begin with?

Sorry, that’s an awful lot there and I apologize for rambling on. Just some stuff I’ve been thinking about with regards to the genre (and other genres) as we inch closer to next gen. I really hope that source you have is right and that MS isn’t done with KI. Also if you feel like sharing any inside info, I promise complete discretion. :smiley:

From your lips to the shadowlords ears! Really hope this happens at E3. Not getting my hopes up, I mean. Just saying it’d be awesome.

I like that MS and Nintendo seem to be forging a solid relationship, but Sony? If you’re releasing all of your exclusive games on your direct competitors system, then what do you have to lure people in to your ecosystem, especially if that direct competition isn’t doing the same?

I mean sure, if Sony wants start putting Naughty Dog titles out on Xbox, sure great, give em Halo, Gears, Forza and KI. But until then, I have zero problems with MS doing what they can to get people to buy their hardware.

Nah let’s not put LCD in THAT category. He just wants a new game and as far as I’m concerned, I hope he shouts it too the rooftops. Even then, he wouldn’t be as weird or creepy as Mileena fans. Not by a long shot. :joy:

1 Like

Good night!
The news about a new KI would greatly brighten the fans (including myself), and it’s being a cause for anxiety for the 25th anniversary.
We must also remember that IG changed the study site, and was hiring new members. Whoever accompanies the Iron Galaxy on Twitter knows that.
I sincerely wish IG continued their work on KI. I understand that it should not be too easy to work everything out, but both the mechanics of the game, the story and the attention that the IG staff has provided to the fans, whenever they can, is something we can not literally forget. They did a good job on KI, and could continue on it, after all, the story continued on the HQs, but that of some characters still remains a mystery.
Even if it is done by another company, I would like the story to continue from the point where IG stopped. There are still characters that have the possibility of having a bigger exploration in their history, just as some characters are without a destination for their story in the game. The KI can still have its history explored in many points if the person, responsible for it, knows how to work well. And fans are certainly looking forward to some answers, even more so about the characters that did not appear in the sequel to the comic book story. And I’m one more of them!
Waiting for any positive news about the game, and that this news, even if it is just the beginning of work on a new game, will make the happiness and anxiety of the whole community. Long live to KI! :heart:

1 Like

So it’s basically taking all information that’s freely available and deducing based on that?

I don’t mind LCD he’s alright, there are far more irritating streamers/youtubers around…not counting myself of course. I think it’s fun to speculate what MS may or may not be up to, although I’m pretty sure a new KI will come about with the new Xbox system.

Killer instinct 4 will die if it isnt on PS4. People forget the reason why the initial KI is dead. Exclusivity, KI should never ever be an xbox exclusive, get KI on ps4 and it will be the number 1 Fighting game in the world , A game absent for 20 years exclusive, is MS serious at all?

How can u miss the chance of letting 120million players on Ps4 play Killer instinct?, whats the selfishness about exactly , Sony has fighters on xbox why the hell is Microsoft not getting the point?

Anything short of that. PS5 will steal the shine again and KI & XBOX whatever will die again

@LCD good article, but trust me , am not expecting any KI4 announcement. Microsoft has terribly embarassed KI with this senseless exclusive crap. how can anyone embarass the best Fighter in the world KI.

1 Like

…sigh.

The only reason the PS4 is the go-to fighting game system (coughactuallyPCisbecauseevenconsoleexclusivesonbothsideshavePCportscoughcough) is because it is currently the best selling system and has been for a few years now. But the key term there is “for a few years”. The previous generation, the 360 was king, though by a smaller margin, throughout most of the past generation’s cycle. And aside from sheer horsepower, there’s a very good chance that the Switch of all things might end up being the go-to system for next gen, considering its lifetime sales have already beaten out the PS4 in Japan when the PS4 had a 3-4 year lead. But the PS4 is NOT the be-all-end-all life or death of any game, and especially with this console generation being on the way out. Hell, I’m sure at some point in history people were probably saying if fighting games weren’t being made for arcades the whole genre would die out, yet here we are.
Does the PS4 currently have the larger install base between it and the XB1? Of course. Would it be more convenient if all your favorite games were available on one system, obviously. But to say KI4 will die without a PS4 port… I highly doubt it.

3 Likes

Sigh. Here we go with this bag of stupid again.

1. KI is not dead.
  2. Lots of games are not on PS4 and do just fine. KI is one of those.
9 Likes

@DiGiJUL3S I do not see why sony would not want KI on the PS4. If thats the case, that means SF6 will also be exclusive to PS4, which will be horrible

I’m sure sony would love to have Halo and MS would love to have God of War. That’s not how it works though. I don’t know why people think suddenly the rules are going to change just because they want something.

As far as SF6, that’s absolutely 100% unrelated to KI exclusivity.

5 Likes

Normally I would agree, but with the recent news about MS and Sony making deals involving gaming devisions and cloud gaming using MS’s Azure for the PSN, seeing MS’s games on other systems seem more plausible than it ever has. I mean I won’t believe it until I see it, but it sounds like it very well could happen.

Yeah i mean I’m not saying Sony wouldn’t love to have KI lol . I’m quite sure they’d love to . But I don’t see why MS should give up one of their FEW remaining big exclusive franchises. I mean we know they’ve been lacking on that area for a while now but hopefully with those new studios they acquired , they’ll start addressing that and focus on some big new exclusives.

1 Like

What Sony fighters are on Xbox? Tekken and Soul Calibur are made by Namco, not Sony. Give me one fighting game that’s made by Sony that they also put out on Xbox.

KI is not dead, Xbox is not dead. Was PS4 the preferred destination for fighting games this generation? Yes, because in addition to the multiplatform fighters, they also had a lot of exclusives from companies like ArcSys and the big one from Capcom.

If MS wants to reclaim their spot as the go-to console for fighting game fans, the solution isn’t putting their only exclusive fighter on their rival’s system. That’s completely counterintuitive. Nintendo wouldn’t put Smash on PS4 to sell more Smash and they certainly wouldn’t do it in hopes of luring more fans to their ecosystem. Instead, they’d want to use it as a way of bringing more fans in to the Switch ecosystem.

My hope is that in addition to KI 4, MS will contract with indy devs to bring back Tao Feng and/or Kakuto Chojin. Then go out get some deals done to bring more fighters exclusively to Xbox. Talk to Capcom about funding Darkstalkers 4, Powerstone 3, hell find out their status with Sony on Street Fighter 6 and see if you can get in on the ground floor. Talk to Namco about Weaponlord 2, talk to Sega about Virtua Fighter 6, Eternal Champions 2, Fighting Vipers 3, Last Bronx 2, find out who owns the Mace: The Dark Age IP, talk with ArcSys about a new Guilty Gear and/or an Xbox character fighting game.

There’s tons of things they could do to try and lure fighting game fans back and it’d be great if they’d get some of it done. Sony has a bit of an advantage on MS in this regard with the current gen, so here’s hoping MS can flip the script one more time. I’d rather see that than hear talk of how they should give up exclusives.

2 Likes

i want to believe in a new KI being announced at e3. but i dont believe it will. i think its nothin but a dabs inflicted dream at this point lol maybe throw in some mesculin too. i will say though…that in the small chance in hell it does happen i will so ever happily eat a plate of crow. i will have the biggest smile on my face while i do and ill ask for seconds.

I think it’s actually possible. I have a gut feeling in my gut that there will be a lot of old Rareware IPs this year. I might be misguided but… I don’t know. I just have a feeling.

Which rules ? Minecraft is a 3rd party, microsoft exclusive like KI but released on the ps4. KI and minecraft are not 1st party MS games so the doors are open to Sony. Don’t kill our vibe dude. KI 4 with no planned ps4 release = Born dead

Ummm… yes they are. Look at the copyright on KI. It literally says Microsoft Corporation.

I have a feeling the next Xbox will vastly outshine the PS5. Just a hunch.

2 Likes