KI3 has ruined other fighting games for me

Yep. Same thing here.

I donā€™t think SF V is bad really, I like what theyā€™ve done with it, especially on the de-emphasis of charge specials. Bison is actually scary compared to what he was in SF4. I like it a lot actually. I got to play the beta, but I donā€™t have a PS+ account, so the online component for the full game isnā€™t an option for me. I barely use the console as it is, despite how fun the game is, so I donā€™t really intend to buy a subscription either.

Seeing as any Story mode really isnā€™t the big selling point of fighting games now, despite how big, elaborate or great it is, itā€™s the most temporary of all modes the game offers. Without being able to enjoy the online component, I donā€™t see much reason for me to get it at launch. I like it, but KI has my interest for now.

I will give it props though, as it was fun, and itā€™s a big departure from what SF4 was. The farther away it gets from playing like that balance nightmare the better. SF4 was fun at the beginning, but over 40 characters isnā€™t a great balancing juggle. I think it just became too difficult to appropriately balance that many characters and a number of them suffered for it.

To be fair, the Darkstalkers series had the ā€˜Dark Forceā€™ mechanic years before KI13. So at the very least, KI likely took some inspiration from Darkstalkers.

1 Like

Well then, I didnā€™t know that. Funny though how SF5 has this type of thing.

Instinct is based off xfactor from mvc3, soā€¦yeah kis new feature is based off another fighting game.

1 Like

Well, looks like I was wrong lol. :confused:

No. Othr than the being a transformation buff for a small period of time and an increased bar ater taking damage,they arenā€™t similar.

2 Likes

@Linkinworm The story mode is explained as art with voice overs, a placeholder for the full animated story mode coming in summer.

The story mode you played for characters at the game store is an abbreviationā€¦

Yes I have played the beta and think that KI delivers on game mechanics and music while SFV excels in graphics and v trigger animations. So everything brings something to the table. Ariaā€™s instinct animation made me hope for awesome instinct animations for the other characters, as we saw a great closeup of Orchid when activating the firecat in her trailer, but only see it far away in game- but still ok I guess

I did not play SF 2 but did love XMen Mutant Academy, X- Men: Next Dimension, games like War Gods Mace the Dark Age, Mortal Kombat, Evil Zone, Cardinal Syn (STILL an awesome game!) and the Soul Calibur series and later Marvel Vs Capcom 3 ( by way of hoping for a show of Psylocke), and to tell you the truth, I love Persona 4 & BlazBlue/ Guilty Gear more than SF , but there is no denying the Prom King of the Fighting Game World. Slick Graphics, a sampler of the soundtrack, and Ryu figure, a sexy Ryu exclusive costume skin with promised DLC was a day One pre order no brainer for me! I donā€™t see myself craving online matches with SFV as I do KI, cause the mechanics are somewhat less fun to control as in I donā€™t get much out of a guessing game and spacing with my Karin for the win compared to, say, a complete Arsenal of my takedown say, with my sketchy Sadira in multiplayer!

I do have both xboxOne and PS4, and subscribe to Xbox Live Gold and PS Plus, they are similar and neither are in particular better than the other, they do serve their purpose.

I look forward to the new Injustice sequel and hoping for a Marvel fighting game with my faves Psylocke and Storm represented-

Persona 4 I just got into while waiting for season 3 news and info, and it completely ROCKS- as well as Skull Girls! The mechanics and imagination in that game are off the charts! Iā€™d love to see them do a Marvel fighting game

I do wish KI would have even more stages, say, access to the still image from KI or KI 2 stages much like the practice mode we have currently, and a way to have at least an ultra ender on those static stages, that would be amazing.

Other than that, Iā€™m very excited to get my hands on Kim Wu and maybe a surprise new main like a new female original character of Season 3 (hoping for a Disavowed female character linked to Orchid or Mira or a TJ Combo black girl) and learn them to see where my habits take me as a casual fighting game player who lurks into multiplayer exhibitions every now and then.

Beserker mike mentioned it in a interview with max that instinct mode is based off xfactor, but function different.

Itā€™s exactly the same feeling I had after playing Demonā€™s Souls, and Dark Souls. Itā€™s so hard for me to play an action-rpg without wanting to go back to Dark Souls. In fact, I love that game so much, Iā€™ve bought it a total of 5 times across PS3, 360, and PC.

I tried GGXrd on PC but I just wanted to turn on my Xbone and play with Bae-sako.

Same. Cant play witcher os skyrim because the combat is so much inferior to ds that its not fun at all.

Playing Killer Instinct made me lose interest in other fighting games. Iā€™m kinda interested in SF5, but I donā€™t think Iā€™d be playing it. Other games just donā€™t have that mindgame KI offers.

1 Like

AMEN just like the 90s KI stole my time from SF the 21st century has brought that trend back.

Ridiget
Boring
Unblanced
Frustrating combos

Vs

Smooth
Exciting mind games
Extremely balanced
Fluid creative combos easy / super hard

This said i have EVERYTHING SF almost every console ive brought has been due to SF however its end here.

Sf4 was great but after the wow of its return it wasnt a great game. Sf5 has built on that but its too little too late.

I really dont need it!

By far!!! 3rd stike is EVERYTHING one of the best games ever made!! Just slightly behind ki but only just and ki still needs to go the distance.

Its on the top of my list for backwards compatability

Me and my son been running around the house saying ā€œTORNAAAAY!!!ā€ the last 2 weeks lol!

The girls are like "what does Tornay mean?

2 Likes

OMG!!!

My best mate who i play games with since i was like 3 is nuts on FG likes me (hence my counter breaker game lol)

and his name is TONY!!!

so we are always like TOOONNNNAAIIIIIIII lol

sean tho? meh!

Nercro
Ibuki
Elena
Hugo
Chun LI

LOVE

oh and lolā€¦

2 Likes

just i little thing to say :expressionless:

THANK UUUUU FOR THAT :heart_eyes:ā€¦

thats exatly what i was feeling at this moment here today

The less charge characters, the better. That was honestly my biggest gripe with SF back in the day (along with the character appearances), so that immediately gets me more interested in SFV.

As for story mode, itā€™s the first thing that I got to when I start playing a new fighting game. I love the lore, love being told a good story. MK kinda set the standard with their last few offerings, and I think the genre might be headed in that direction a bit more because of it. Not saying every new fighter will have a huge, epic, 5 hour cut-scene mode, but I always liked the story in fighters like MK since I was a kid and itā€™s good to see more games in the genre caring about it as well.

1 Like

I think story mode is the first thing we all go to for fighting games, but itā€™s not what we stick around for. While the MK story is awesome to watch and unfold, after weā€™ve been through it once or twice, itā€™s usually just pure multiplayer from there.

And since I donā€™t have a PS+ subscription, I canā€™t do SF V online, which limits my enjoyment beyond the initial story mode. Pretty much just saying why Iā€™m probably not going to get it at launch. Down the road though, I see it being a possibility. For now, Iā€™m content with KI online.

But SF V is definitely going to shape up to be a very good release, no question or denial here.

Ah, I hear ya. I love a good story mode, but Iā€™ll concede that itā€™s not something I go back to over and over again, at least not initially.

I think that SFV will end up being a great game eventually. Iā€™m just not as interested in it as I was back when it was first announced.