KI is “complete”

You read my mind. Rather have what we have with the variety, than dozens of characters who all have the same gameplan. SFV has one legit zoner (who happens to be really good at rushdown too!) and the rest are all rushdown/mixup characters. Even Dhalsim is a rushdown/mixup character in SFV! And they all have the same gameplan of getting the CC, popping trigger, and going to town on rushdown. They tried to do an Eyedol with Zeku and completely failed. I’m fine with the roster but if there’s no KI 2 then I’d happily take a season 4 of course.

3 Likes

I mean this game literally came out 2013. It’s eventually gonna die out of content

1 Like

So some of you seem to think that KI’s complete status is due, at least in part to the way the fanbase treated the developers, am I reading that correctly?

Don’t most games have some toxic aspect of their communities, especially in the FGC? I mean, I’ve heard of some really good communities, like Smash, and what not. But I’ve rolled through several Mortal Kombat communities and I see plenty of toxic people and conversations.

Now, obviously KI doesn’t pull in MK dollars, but if it were making enough, you’d have to think the developer could put up with some obnoxious a-holes, even if some or even many of them were their own high level players, no?

Is it possible that the more likely reason KI is now considered complete is simply that KI has been out for four plus years and isn’t making the kind of money it did before, or perhaps after their season 3 contract was fulfilled, IG wanted to move on to other projects, or MS wanted to move on and invest in other things, or both?

Mind you, NONE of these are rhetorical questions. I’m legitimately asking because I really don’t know. It just seems kinda odd to me that a video game developer would say “our fans are jerks, let’s stop making money off of this and try something else.” Maybe I’m wrong though.

1 Like

There’s a lot we don’t know, but we do know it sold 50,000 copies on Steam. At full price that would be 2 million in sales before Steam cut and various discounts. That’s not amazing, but not shabby for a port of a 3 year old game IMO

3 Likes

True. I just tend to assume that sales, investment dollars etc are what likely rule this decision as opposed to how well the community treated the devs, but again, I’m not really sure about that, so I’m just throwing the question out there. :slight_smile:

Yeah, money is money. As I have found out recently, that the community is more toxic than I thought, but the KI community has done an excellent job in keeping this game alive. I mean it came out on launch with only 6 fighters and no arcade mode. Now look at where KI is. Besides complaining about a game is what everyone does every now and again. No one is going to like every thing in my opinion. And to be honest everyone on both sides of the remix/ ultimate debate where pretty dramatic. Everyone acted like a civil war was happening :rofl: . Now as for degenerates that like to attack the employees who are working hard to create a good game are an entirely different story.

2 Likes

Whelp, as this forum’s unofficial “Mr. Tuesday,” it’s more than about time that I throw my 2 cents into the ring:

I have been a Killer Instinct fan since 1995, and I’ve been mashing buttons alongside you guys on Xbox Live since Launch Day, and it’s been an incredible journey to watch this amazing new game evolve and grow from 2013 to now. I know that no matter what, I’ll keep on playing, but it is a genuine bummer to see the word “complete” thrown around by the KI team- especially since I thought that this edition was going to continuously updated like one of those “games as a service” type games, like Minecraft or something.

I really wanted just one more brand-new monstery fighter to show up to expand the universe and fill out the roster to a nice, round “30,” but that seems unlikely with the talk of completeness and “no more balance updates.” Kilgore is a ton of fun, but since I’m not big on most of the human cast, (outside of Thunder; Thunder rocks), Shin & Eagle didn’t leave as big of an impression on me. They aren’t bad characters or anything, but it’s just a preference thing, which leads me to my next point:

The survey! I wonder what the results of that (at the time) epic survey are being used for, or why they were asked? I remember that it was noted that the results influenced Kilgore’s development, but why tease remix fighters like Sharkman and ENT Aganos, or brand-new fighters like the Halo Brute or the Wendigo? (Wendigos made it into the comic, but still…)

“Complete” may refer to gameplay, but what about cosmetics? Why create a huge, empty “Colors” menu to exclusively host the Omen colors? What about the ending page once you defeat Gargos at the end of Shadow Lords that asks players to “Stay tuned for updates!”? More accessories, skins, colors, and above all else, story mode content is still possible, right??? :art:

Going back to the comic, issue #6 of 6 comes out next week, and I’m still holding out the faintest of hope that there will be some kind of revelation that ties back into the game*, but still- the term “Complete” still burns.

Surely KI isn’t done-done, and I think that more KI will appear before many have guessed in the doomy & gloomy posts about more content/sequel in the far-future, but still- I want more! Blarg- I’m still having fun with KI, and I’ll admit that this seems like the darkest bout of radio silence that I’ve ever seen since the game’s launch, but I’ve still got a smidgen of hope that there is something stirring behind the curtain. I mean, why make a comic and fund major tournaments if the KI Crew was donzo with KI?

We’ll likely find out more before too long, but I’ll still be biting off faces with my favorite fire breathing dinosaur cyborg either way. :t_rex:

Fight on,

-Zenek

*Something Aganos-related, perhaps? :deciduous_tree:

5 Likes

Well, I don’t think they “teased” anything simply by asking if those were ideas people would be interested in. I believe, if I’m not mistaken, that they said that a lot of the ideas for new characters and even for remixes came from the community, so they just kinda threw the ideas out there to people.

Now, how those remix options from the survey turned in to Kilgore and Shin Hisako, I have no idea. But I don’t personally think that they should be held to those survey options just because they put them out there. I’d still love to see Ben Farris as a character one day, with all the military mercenary stuff going on, complete with his mouth lol. Maybe in the next game, if there is one.

The new character ideas kinda threw me as well, as I wanted all of them the second they mentioned them. But I believe that Eagle was the second most requested option after Eyedol, so they absolutely delivered on that front. I can’t help but still want a djinn or a lovecraftian character, but again, maybe in the next game?

Honestly, I think they were just leaving the door open for the possibility of more stuff. If they kept on going for more seasons, they’d have those spaces already carved out and wouldn’t have to create new menus or whatever.

I mean, the whole game was more or less built to be constantly iterated on, but they had to stop iterating at some point. Sure, I was hoping that the game was going to have more of a WoW lifespan, but I don’t think anyone realistically thought that was going to happen.

I sincerely hope you’re right! I definitely want more as well, whether it’s a 4th season or a new game. REALLY hope @TempusChaoti and MS can make this happen. This is honestly one of the best fighting games I’ve ever played. Who knows, maybe with a new game with more up to date graphics and what not, more people will get in to it because they loved this current game or they heard it was good.

Well, the comic could be for story closure, which would be a great way to send this story off, if that were the case. Can’t say I’ve seen many games get that kind of a conclusion. As for the major tourneys, the funding is coming from the Kilgore fund. It was always going to be used for tourneys, but hey… If you’ve got hope that something else is going on behind the scenes, then who am I to throw water on that? Especially considering the fact that I’m hoping for the same thing!

1 Like

A new game is almost definitely in the works, or soon will be. The only questions are when it will release, what kind of product model it will have, and if the developer will still be Iron Galaxy.

2 Likes

I hope it is IG, they know KI very well.

3 Likes

I hope they don’t cut any characters from the first game. Just revamp and make better. Give it more polish and style. Then add in new stuff. I don’t really want a whole new game, I moreso want Killer Instinct (2013) HD 2.0 updated version.

1 Like

What makes you so sure that a new game is almost certainly in the works ?

That’s what I want too.

I tend to agree. But, and this is a big speculative but, I don’t know that KInwas ever intended to be a money making machine for MS. If that was the case many of their decisions defeated this - including the lack of costumes and customization.

I think the principle purpose of KI was to generate hype for the Xbox One. So, I think if KI has been the source of goodwill and positive ambassador for the Xbox brand, they might Might Have kept it going despite it not making money. So in that sense I think the negativity of the fan base really hurt the chances of the game’s future. Not necessarily a season 4 but even a sequel.

1 Like

For the longest time I was beating the drums for ‘fixed’ or new and improved retro costumes for Sabrewulf, Fulgore, Orchid etc. and Ultimates for everyone…had they given us those things I honestly would have felt satisfied and personally seen the game as ‘complete’…if that’s even still a measurable trait in today’s DLC game structure.

That said, honestly this game is ‘done’ and has been for sometime. I’ve been saying on this forum for over a year now (and getting attacked almost everytime I do lol) that a Season 4 is an absolutely awful idea with zero appeal both conceptually and more importantly financially for MS…the market for a Season 4 of this dinosaur of a game by current standards is ridiculously small and this forum certainly isn’t a good litmus test for judging potential demand.

What DOES make sense (and I believe is in the works right now) is an ALL NEW ‘KI4’ for MS next gen system. The sooner everyone here accepts this and moves the hell on the better.

I still love the current KI, play it often and consider it the crowing achievement on XB1…but the game just no longer makes any sense to spend time or resources on development wise.

On to KI4 for next gen and I cannot wait.

I just hope I don’t have to shell out for an Xbox One x to play it. Has there been any game so far that doesn’t run on both the X and the standard?

1 Like

I think Dagger Assault was just a failed experiment. They truly believed it would turn out to be good hence the numerous patches of buffs to make it better but alas it never shined. Who knows though maybe it’s one of the best moves in the game and no one just found anything because of the small player base but I think that’s the least likely answer.

Quite frankly Maya operates just fine without it and never needed it to begin with but it makes sense that they wanted to replace the magic ender with something because it might of felt bad stripping something powerful away like that without giving her something else back.
__

On topic though I think anyone whos been following the game even in the slightest would of realized by now the game wasn’t going to be receiving anymore major updates in terms of actual content or balance patches. The game has been “complete” for about a year now and that’s fine with me. Still sad Orchid and the rest of the OG characters didn’t receive ultimates but hey at least we got some at all.

Here is to hoping for KI4.
Cheers.

4 Likes

The various inquiries of what we’d like to see in the series’ future on these forums, including the formal survey. And the fact that MS has somewhat recently acknowledged they’re in desperate need of first-party titles that aren’t Halo or Gears. I believe KI is one of the few fresh IPs they’ve handled this generation that hasn’t been a flop, and I don’t think for a second they’re going to let its potential sit in the fridge for another 15 years again.

5 Likes

Makes sense. I mean like you said, they are in probably the worst shape as far as first party exclusives I’ve ever seen them in so yeah it’s be insane to let KI die again.

No