Kan-Ra S3 general discussion

1. one of my most used resets was medium swarm linker into cr.HK xx clutch. Really hurts my offense that this is bugged right now. You can go with St.HK as well of course, but that move looks so big (can’t find a better word) that your opponent often times feels that something is about to hit them.

If you have problems executing resets try to get hard swarm linker into heavy manual down. If you can hit that link switch to medium swarm linker and the heavy manual xx clutch won’t combo but reset. Not sure whether I am clear here. Just keep asking if you don’t understand.

1. What about a much faster command grab without any drawbacks?

It would also break the idea behind Ra’s clutch and trap synergy. We already have this problem with his shadow clutch, which isn’t fast, does little damage and which is jumpable after the freeze.
At least it’s projectile inv. now, so not completely useless.

I’ll practice the manual timing. Honestly now that I can do manuals pretty consistenly doing the reset shouldn’t be an issue. Just wish I could practice the crHK version but I’ll wait for a patch.

As for the command group, I’m just used to the diea that to get something you have to lose something. I’d love a faster command grab that I could combo with. Or actually anti air with without making the hardest read of my life.

You sound like the guy at IG who does all the Kan-Ra changes:
“hmm…maybe after 2 years I should fix his swarm linker so he can combo like everybody else in the game. But god forbid I give him something good because the forum will kill me. So let’s just take away his ability to recap with m.spike, St.LK xx whirl after clutch because that was unintended and totally OP broken. I am just going to say that that was a bug and I am gonna fix it by making his light kicks look like they hit like a truck. I hope those 2 guys, that still play him, never want me fix shadow swarm or his whirl randomness because than I have to take away his ability to block”

No offense @Harlequin969 :wink:

They will never decrease the startup of AA clutch because it’s synergizes with his curse. You are supposed to AA with down-back.HP vs non-cursed and AA vs cursed with clutch or vs characters who like to stay in the air.
Again, I think this would break the idea they had for the mummy.

None taken. It’s how the nerf/buff cycle always acts in other games I’ve played. Getting a straight up buff is often rare.

But I’ve also complained that curse never felt good enough. Or rather I never got to benefit from it. Either I anti air with scorpion sting and they’re full screen so long that by the time they get to me curse has expired, or I get the grab but I’m too close to them to want to risk buttons against a DP or some other nonsense.

I’m probably using curse wrong but for the most part it’s the one aspect of Ra that I haven’t been able to comfortably do.

I have the exact same problems with curse.
It’s not even like I ever plan to throw someone. Because you need to be very close and that’s something you don’t wanna be as Kan-Ra. Every time I use throw I rather should have used St.LK into a combo for real damage.
The only time where I actually try to throw is when I kill their first life bar and end the combo with a wall splat into throw (which for some reason only works vs half the cast)
I would trade the damage of throw for a hard knock down.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who has issues nailing, wall splat, into throw. I’ve been punished for doing that several times.

There is nothing to nail here because it simply doesn’t work vs some characters.

1 Like

lol Can confrim.

Congratulations to @SSGKingEZ

He won NWM9 with Kan-Ra and he had 3 ridiculously weird sets with @ShinTristan

He played smart but horrible at the same time.

Smart because he used shadow spike (the best move in the game IMO) like the great zoning tool as it is. He also used trap + sandsplosion teleport escapes which is a smart strategy against Thunder.

Horrible because he didn’t AA a single jump in with down+back.HP.
King EZ if you are reading this, PLEASE work on your AA game.
Also, Cr.LP xx clutch is NOT a punish. I would have liked to slap you in the face every time you did that after blocking thunders DP follow ups. My hand would really hurt right now LOL.
Rewatch your matches, they are painful to watch because of all the mistakes you made.

But you know, you stuck to your gameplan and you won it, so who am I to talk.

GGs buddy

1 Like

@BiyemAssi237

Yes, Jago can kill all the swarms with his windkicks. So does every other move in the game.

Swarms purpose is to be annoying and to block the path to you. You can easily destroy them with any attack.
And that’s the point:
To get rid of them, your opponent has to wait for them to disappear, which won’t work because you can just create another one
OR he has to move around them by jumping or destroying them.
As soon as they jump or attack, they don’t block. And that’s when you hit them.

You mentioned windkick. Some moves can destroy the swarms and hit you at the same time. But jago has to usually use medium or heavy wind kick. Both of them are punishable if you block them.

You gotta develope a read on when to use your long range pokes to beat things like shadow wind kick.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice,[quote=“lHagenl, post:332, topic:4439”]
Some moves can destroy the swarms and hit you at the same time.
[/quote]
I think this is plain stupid as design. and just defeats the purpise of a swarm in neutral. Not only do swarm have very high start up, they cant be reliable t make the opponent respect ur neutral. I got destroyed by a fulgore and aria, I couldnt do anything. I cant outzone him, I cant play neutral , I cant play a keep away. I feel that grounded swarms rather leave me plain open, cuz he will just blade dahs and hit me. All his moves have high startup and non zoners seem to zone me better. So salty cuz the aria tbagged me like crazy lol

That’s why both of these characters are bad match ups for Ra. It takes some experience to know, when to place swarms and where to place them on the screen.

1 Like

At least do u think the start up of his specials could be buffed ? He is really slow for a zoner

Technically he is not a “zoner”. He is a trap grabler character.

Technically every character is a zoner. Some want to be in a close zone to other characters and some want keep them out or away.

Ra can play a very effective keep away game vs some characters.
Others have very strong tools to deal with his keep away. You gotta switch to a very setup heavy playstyle vs them.

But to answer your question:
Yes, less start up for his moves would help a lot of course

@BiyemAssi237
Wait… didn’t we just play?

1 Like

Yeah man we played yesterday.You know, playing a heavy setup game requires you to be a guy who makes combo videos not many people are lab techs. Do you have any posts on how to deal with rash, thunder, aria fulgore, infact 70% of the cast. Lol

New 3.9 stuff:

Tested some stuff on my parent’s super laggy TV so I need you guys to confirm but this is what I found out:

Wall Splatt ender into clutch works. This is a game changer for Kan-Ra because his best and safest setups are after hitting clutch. Now every time we touch someone in the corner we are in a very good position to set up a vortex.

st. LK xx l.swarm can’t be interrupetd by mashing jab anymore. Same is true for cr. LP xx l.swarm (nice).

st.LP now combos into l.swarm on counterhit (awesome)

db MP range increse is ca. 1.3 little tiles (nice)

cr. MK xx l.swarm is still a true block string (thank Gargos)

8 Likes

Thanks for the writeup. I was wondering what Kan Ra players were thinking about the most recent changes, but can’t find anything except for yours. I haven’t tried him since the patch dropped, but maybe tomorrow I will. If you wouldn’t mind explaining something to me, what is this corner vortex you’re speaking of? I have some ideas, but I would like to be sure. Thanks again.

A vortex is pretty much having your opponent deal with the same mix up over and over again. Wall splat ender now combos into clutch, which is a hard knock down. Kan-Ra has very good and very safe options to mix his opponent up after that, and if you hit him you basically end the combo into wall splat, clutch and do it all over again.

Right, I guess I wasn’t clear enough. Thanks for explaining what a vortex is. I was actually meaning to ask what you would do in this vortex.Like, what exactly would you do after getting the knockdown? When I think vortex, I think difficult to block crossup that even you yourself won’t know which side your attack hits on. Does Kan Ra have something like this? If so, what? Thanks again. I hope I was clearer this time without sounding condescending.

In the corner:
Combo of your choice into wall splat, clutch, dash, l.swarm
-From here you can do a meaty low with cr.MK or
-A hard to react meaty jump up MK that combos into the swarm or
-Let the swarm suck your opponent out of the corner and do a super ambiguous j.HP or j.MK that can hit cross up or
-Do an empty jump low or,
-Do whatever you come up with

You can also just skip the dash, swarm part and just keep your opponent in the corner and harass with your long range normals and put swarms and the shadow spike on the field. Kan-Ra’s corner stuff is nuts.

1 Like