Kan-Ra S3 general discussion

I’m already freaking out, lol

Kan-Ra 3.6 changes

Shadow Clutch is now immune to projectiles until its active frames are over. [This won’t affect too many matchups, but in a few where Kan-Ra is cornered and his opponent is throwing projectiles from a range where he cannot contest, this should help a great deal.]

This is a great change. Thx for listening @TheKeits
This will help a lot against his worst match ups.
Know we have a great use for a move that has been worthless in neutral.

EDIT:
OMG I am so hype right now for this change. This is soooo good I never thought they were considering my suggestion.

2 Likes

Do you guys have any use for down-back MP or st.LP? I never use these moves. Do I miss something?

I think the range for those moves are slightly longer than 2LK, so if anything they could serve as fast punish tools where 2LK would fail. I don’t remember the frame data off the to of my head though.

st.LP is slower than st.LK and it’s hitbox is just pathetic.
cr.LK is a low, so there is that. But why would you use cr.LK to punish anyway? st.LK is faster with better range.
down back MP is also worse than cr.MK. It might have a slightly bigger hitbox, but I am not sure right now.

Both are still useless IMO

Kan-Ra’s st.LK has 2 different active frame hitboxes.
The first one has shorter range and I think it looses to low body invulnerably moves. The second has longer range but starts up one frame later obviously.

So if you need that little bit more range you have to add 1 more start up frame. This is important to know for certain situations.

EDIT:
St.HP’s 2nd active hitbox also has more range than the first

same is true for back+MP
It hits for the first time on frame 9 (2 frames active, than 3 frames inactive)
Second hit on frame 14 (2 frames active, than 3 frames inactive). The hit box makes a big jump forward here.
The next 3 active hit boxes appear on frame 19, 24 and 29 following the same pattern, but with only very small range increase each time.

So worst case it might actually take 29 frames to hit your opponent instead of 9

A chance I’ve been curious about is should Ra’s anti air clutch moves become active earlier. I only ask this because I was testing clutch situations after a flipout and even if I read my opponent is going to jump and do anti air clutch the clutch will whiff.

The answer to is to delay your clutch a bit and it’ll hit but should that be the case? I only ask for the sake of consistency. If you read your opponent is going to jump, then you should be rewarded with clutch. It’s not like the move is super safe. Having to delay it at all now runs the risk of getting punished on a read or worse getting the wrong clutch angel. This could be me just complaining but I was wondering if anyone else had the same thoughts.

Having to delay the anti-air clutches to catch opponents on set ups is pretty rough too. Never been able to pull it off consistently. Can’t tell if this is just meant to be really hard to read and execute or is this way through a mistake. Then there’s the “It has to be this way cause it’s too good if we make it so we take out the need for delay so it’s gotta stay this way sorry guys lol”.

DO NOT use AA clutch as an AA for regular jump ins unless you have godlike reactions. U have cr.HK xx whirl for it and cr.HP.

AA clutch is a match up move. It helps a lot vs. Sadira, Cinder, Aria, Rash and all cursed characters.

I wouldn’t use it even if I read a jump. It is way to risky. If you think they will jump, hit em out of their pre jump frames with a long range poke or just AA with cr.HK xx whirl.

Also, what do you guys mean with delaying the clutch?

1 Like

WIth Fubuki’s win and placing 3rd in the last 8BBDs and with the recently discovered rock solid and safe tech that has been discovered, I think it’s safe to say that Kan-Ra is one of the most fun, underexplored and viable characters in the game. I just love the character.

4 Likes

Is there any info about Kan-Ra’s book? I think it’s some kind of Necronomicon.

Let’s discuss the changes:

-Decreased the amount of PD inflicted to himself from Sandsplosion by 50% (from 20 points to 10 points) [To be honest, we overlooked this when making the PD changes in 3.6. With PD healing slower, it was important to decrease the PD Kan-Ra puts on himself when using Sandsplosion.]

TBH I think this wasn’t necessary. I like the idea to get punished hard if you wiff an invincible reversal. But that’s a buff so it’s good.

-Fixed a bug causing heavy manuals to not be possible off his heavy linkers. [We aren’t sure how long this was around, but this will greatly increase his combo options.]

They were possible before, not sure what they are talking about. Maybe it has something to do with the next change:

-Reduced pushback on Swarm linkers. [This is so that more of his manuals will reach]

FINALLY! Good change

-Fixed a bug where Kan-Ra would become stuck in a single pose during Whirl if going over a sand trap while already cursed by another Kan-Ra.

That was a funny bug. Seems like you can still make some Raam statues

-Fixed a bug where Kan-Ra could not special cancel normals while a Shadow Sand Trap attack is also hitting.

Good fix. Might be that I was a victim by this bug without even noticing

-Fixed a bug where you could juggle after Clutch into medium Spike without a Swarm around by increasing the air pushback of standing and crouching kicks.

What are they talking about? Does this mean clutch, m.spike, St.LK xx whirl is no longer possible?

-Fixed a bug where you could not combo backwards Clutch into Sand Spike against some characters.

Cool

1 Like

Yep, clutch, m.spike, St.LK xx whirl does not work anymore. While this fixed “bug” is a nerf I already found something cool with the new cr. and St.LK push back properties. I put into the setup thread.

2 Likes

Just had to forfeit an online tournament…

2 Likes

Thats terrible. I’m salty as hell myself. For me it’s been beneficial I went back to glacius and shaking off the rust, im thinking of just dtopping kan ra, not worth the effort anymore

I want to play in tournaments but because I decided to invest time into Kan-Ra i’m already starting off a little bit behind and having the current bug with Kan-Ra is just the nail in the coffin for competitive play…

What’s the new bug?

Kan-Ra cannot cancel c.HK, a much needed tool, into any special moves. This is not intended. The devs have acknowledged it and will hopefully fix it soon…

I just played a couple of matches. I am still godlike :blush:

The break made me think about how to use the shadow trap. Depending on match up and life leed I sacrifice ender damage for a shadow trap.

I am also working on using Instinct in a different way. Enders take too much time so I try to get reset after reset whenever I am in instinct. Need to watch more fubuki vids…

1 Like

I’m still rough on how resets work. I know we’re purposely dropping combos into something like sHK into either command grab or swarm but the logic behind it and pressing the buttons themselves feels awkward as hell.

Also something I just thought of. As KanRa players would we take a much faster start up on our command grab at the cost of not being able to combo it with antlion anymore?