Kan-Ra S3 general discussion

His wind kick is stupid. Seems like each time I go for standing HP they block but the one time I don’t they throw out the Shadow Wind Kick and it goes through EVERYTHING.

2 Likes

Why did nobody tell me that you can cancel the cr.HK anti air into whirl for a full combo AA punish.
I hate you all
I feel so stupid finding this day one stuff just now. And I am a killer rank Ra with pretty good win percentage… sigh

Oh and speaking of whirl, this is the buggiest move in any fighting game ever. Followed by swarm…

Did we already talk about how stupidly good j.MK is?

What do you guys think of the state of Kan-Ra’s curses? I kinda wish there were more ways to apply the curse or that it should last a bit longer once you have cursed someone.

Curse is very strong, I already created a thread about it.
A cursed opponent can’t do anything except shadow moves. Most moves become unsafe on block. I think the 8 seconds for a throw are okay but the stinger ones are a lil short with 4 seconds.

On a side note, Fubuki 142 is in top 16 in tonights KIPL. I hope he plays Ra…
Let’s go!

Curse is one of the tools I find myself using the least just because i can only apply it in two ways and the few times i get it with stinger, I blink and its gone. I definitely feel it more when I’ve gotten a throw off but that’s rare for me to do since I keep my distance most of the time.

Didn’t know Fubuki made it but he’s gonna play Ra. He has to. Please.

1 Like

He is in winners. Too bad I gotta sleep soon

Bummer man. I’m about to settle in for the tournament.

So I just watched all of Fubuki’s matches. Cool stuff as always. But I think he lost those matches because there is only one mode he likes to play and that’s going in no matter what. He still doesn’t use shadow trap correctly. He could be so much better and he already is awesome.

Just rewatched him and Shin Paulo and you’re right. Fubuki needed to play a slower game because that DP was murdering him especially in the second game where the counter breakers didnt happen. Also he went for a lot of long combos that if he just ended them early and gone for a setup he might have gotten more out of it.

I didn’t see many flip outs from him through this tournament.

Sorry @lHagenl I thought everyone knew about cr.HK whirl business

1 Like

I don’t think Ra’s flipouts are viable at high level play. You can beat them by combo breaking, reacting to the clutch or just DP. IMO at high level it’s worse than a 50/50. So he did well not relying on flip outs.
Don’t get me wrong, I go for a lot of flip out setups even vs very good opponens but as I said, it’s just not worth it vs somebody who did his/her homework. Not saying that it wouldn’t catch them by surprise from time to time depending on your setup

Then you’re giving them too much credit and thereby already detering you from using something.

2 Likes

Flipout scarabs would be useful just for the sake of mixing it up to say I have other tools that I use .

1 Like

If shin paulo can get away with dp nonsense with thunder…I’m pretty sure flipouts will work just fine.

@FengShuiEnergy

You are absolutely right. It’s always gambling. The question is, how much do you wanna gamble in a best of 3 set? Checking their knowledge about some shenanigans might cause you to loose the first match.

@Harlequin969
flip out swarm still looses to breaks, DP and block because it’s negative on block.

All in all I don’t think Fubuki lost because he didn’t use flipouts. He lost because he was over aggressive at situation where it was unnecessary.

It’s a best of 3. Plenty of time for checks and adaptions.

They only lose out to it if you’re looking for it. In his ft10 against Thompson he was getting away with murder using a lot of things. If no one is looking for a flipout clutch which most people who aren’t familiar with the KanRa MU are looking for it will work. And even if it only works once or twice that might be all he needs.

Pulled this out because I think it’s a very interesting statement, but somewhat flawed. I think it’s actually very beneficial to check these kinds of things, particularly early on in the set. If you get hit you get hit, but even a failed mixup is an opportunity to build a mental profile of your opponent, and it gives you the opportunity to mix them up on the next go around. If they jump the command grab the first time, hit them with the low bandage on the next go around. If they break the flipout, then you’re back at neutral and you’ve got a data point on how willing they are to sit still at any given time.

There are certainly times when going for some shenanigan or other is ill-advised because it might cost you a match, but I’ll give up some life early on to learn about what kind of player you are. If you’re the type of guy that’s going to DP me in the face for flipping you out, I’d rather find out about it at the start of round 1 than later on in the set.

Not using a tool because they “might” avoid it is the same as not having a tool. Sometimes it’s the right call to pull out an option even if it doesn’t work, because it at least forces the opponent to keep that concept in the back of their mind for later.

Yep you guys are right. It’s always good to check those things and that’s what I do also in my matches vs people I don’t know. Maybe Fubuki didn’t went for flipouts because he played those guys before and knew it wouldn’t work.
My statement shows one of my weaknesses pretty clear. I respect top players way too much.

@STORM179 congrats to your first place btw.

2 Likes

Something I finally figured out. When doing the flipout command grab setup, if the combo meter is only at level 1 the command grab will whiff because they’re too close. At level two however it’ll always grab them. So if you’re doing a quick cash out and you only have level 1 combo do flip out scarabs or just let them fall.