Kan-Ra S3 general discussion

I want to play Kan-Ra, but I’m having trouble learning him, and not getting hit. I know now, I’ve seen more offense from Kan. Is that what I’m supposed to do, as well as keep traps up?

That sounds sick. Lol Traps everywhere, and I’m forcing you to move XD

There is a lot of useful information in this forum.
If you are a beginner start here: ki.infil.net
If you wanna see an awesome season 3 Kan-Ra, follow Fubuki 142 on your xbox and watch his streams.

Different topic:
I think my worst match up in this game is the mirror.
My brain just can’t take 2 Ras on the field.

1 Like

Are there any Kan-Ra players at EVO?

Not so far. Fulgore is still the best.

Kan-Ra patch notes announced on stream:

“shadow trap becomes a normal trap when hit.”

FINALLY!

They said they are afraid of that change and might undo that in the future…

1 Like

It should be interesting to see how the shadow sand trap buff plays out. I think it might be ok, but I guess we’ll get to wait and see along with IG.

I didn’t see any in my pool or any of the others I watched, but they were running so many concurrently that may not mean much. Sleep did pull Kan out for at least a bit in his FT15 with Rico at the Saucey Suite though.

Haven’t touched 3.3 Kan-Ra yet. Won’t be able to until Friday night. So how are you guys feeling about his buff?

And who is that Kan-Ra who played money matches vs that Raam player after EVO? We have to talk my son…

I am trying to figure out what IG was so scared about with that small buff. On the surface all it allows is a sand explosion that you have already spent meter to get. But I saw the look on @TheKeits face when he put that out there. There was fear of some op opportunity I want to find it.

It’s because it’s too strong in certain match ups. If you put a shadow trap on the field there is absolutely no excuse why you should loose to RAAM. Other characters also have a very hard time when Ra hides behind shrap’n’swarms ™. Landing that 1 hit to break his defense is crucial and should get rewarded. Now we still have our get out of jail card.

On the other hand, it is needed in other matchups. You need everything you can get to defend yourself and getting destroyed because you got counter broken made me feel like S2 all over again.
Now we still have our get out of jail card :slight_smile:

Lol, that’s awesome.

Most characters can deal with shadow trap with meter if done right. RAAM has at least two moves that can be used to combat the setup. His shadow running grab takes a few hits iirc. Also, if RAAM is inching his way up close (as most grappler characters should), the 1f shadow command grab will easily snatch Kan-Ra if he isn’t aerial.

I was initially fine with the shadow trap being destroyed after a combo breaker, because of how the system worked in S3. The opponent can’t combo from a combo breaker, and the gap created afterwards sorta eliminated options for most characters. You do have many of the characters who still have options after the combo breaker (ARIA, Jago, Fulgore, Glacius, Arby, etc), and that poses a major threat to Kan-Ra, and that for me was a huge problem. So all in all, I am glad for the 3.3 change that was made.

My defense vs Raam looks like this:
Kan-Ra, 2 swarms, shadow trap,…RAAM.

While the shrap is constantly harassing RAAM on his way in, I poke him with st.HP and cr.MP.

If he manages to get to a jump in range he either jumps into the air scarab or the ground scarab.
If he wants to shadow grab through he gets hit by spikes and 2 swarms. He will be slowed and I just jump over him with j.HP into an one chance lvl 3 or sometimes lvl 4 swarm ender, that he has to block on wake up, which gives me time to set my stuff up again.
If you survive the start of the match, zone RAAM out with your multi hitting moves and AA his admittedly pesky j.HK until you get a bar, it’s basically over.

that or something similar is what I do in most match ups vs none teleport characters.
Vs teleport characters I try to stand on top of the shrap so it’ll help me check both sides.

I also love how it stays on the field in between rounds. It helps surviving the the get-in-on-me-for-free-part

I should ad this to the MU thread.

I am glad to see people still supporting Kan-Ra in the forums

5 Likes

How are you getting a 1 chance lvl3/4 with KanRa?

As I said, running through swarms and a shrap + some pokes add a lot of potential damage.

Kan-Ra’s a character I’ve always liked and wanted to play, but shied away from because of some of the dumb stuff he had in S2 (+7 on block Swarms!?). I’ve started to mess around with him again and I feel the struggle of being behind at the beginning of every match. While that’s pretty rough, there are some things with his offense that I wanted to address.

I think flipout is a great addition to his gameplan, and it’s so ■■■■ fun hitting someone with a flipout > Clutch reset. But it seems like almost all of his “juggles” funnel down to a flipout without any other options, so it kinda becomes a flipout/counter breaker 50/50 every time. That’s a problem because Kan-Ra gets hit harder by a missed counter breaker than other flipout characters who have much better defense (Thunder, TJ, etc.). Here are two things I’d like to see happen to him:

1.Open more opportunities for him to juggle with medium/heavy buttons.

This is probably done by increasing the hangtime on all of his launchers (Spike, Spike ender, Clutch) and/or increasing the height of some of his buttons (like db+MP, d+MK).

I’m pretty sure it’s impossible to juggle with anything other than a light off of any Spike or level 1-3 spike ender. Like, you can only get either a flipout or a LK into Whirl recap, which are both breakable with lights. I’d like to be able to do Spike ender, bait the light lockout by juggling with db+MP then recap with Whirl to maximize the lockout.

2.Make already-existing juggles easier to hit.

Kan-Ra can juggle with a d+HP after a Clutch, but the timing on it is so ■■■■ tight that it’s probably not worth the risk. If it was easier to hit this, then it would open up more recaptures, more flipouts, and some awesome stuff in Instinct. Just look at this:

http://xboxclips.com/Leo%20Ferreis/261b3e5c-c863-4472-b8f7-871b716c37c9/embed

By far the toughest part of that whole sequence is getting the two d+HPs to hit because its hitbox is so ■■■■ short; you can see me miss it at the beginning.

His horrible defense is another discussion, but I think these changes would help and increase the fun factor with Kan-Ra.

1 Like

I think every flipout is a light normal in this game, so it’s universal with Ra’s clutch flipouts being the only exception IIRC so there is that.

For following up spike launches and clutch you are supposed to put em into a swarm or trap and than use whirl or Antlion (unbreakable) for the recap. That’s just the way he is designed.

But I agree on Ra’s juggle buttons after a spike ender. It’s pretty obvious that a light normal is coming.
I abuse that ender vs weaker players, who don’t break the flipout or just DP and I go for swarm ender or clutch for better players. Counter breaker when I feel ballsy.

All in all I think relying on spike ender shenanigans leads to bad habits. And it kills your shrap.

Does jumping have a few frames of invincibility at the beginning?

no

Then why doesn’t this work. Sandspike ender, flipout, anti air clutch. My opponent jumps out of reaction because previously I’ve done light clutch. Reading this I do heavy or medium clutch. It passes right through their bodies and I get punished for the attempt.