Is season 3 dying before it even hits?

Actually… yes they did.
Rukizzel in response to the question “Why only three stages.”

“You’re looking at a good part of it in relighting 17 existing stages. From what I understand - and I am no dev - but this isn’t a copy/paste method.”

I don’t make ■■■■ up.

1 Like

other than the fact that Rukizzel said he isnt a dev
good part doesnt mean all of it like around 45-70% amount range but at this point we are argueing semantics we dont know anything about so never mind

For me it is cause there is NOTHING in S3 that has enticed me yet. Of the S3 info we have the negative stuff outshines the good for me such as only 3 stages and no ultimates.

1 Like

To be honest the game has kept deviating further and further from my tastes. I am amused at how some forum members keep mocking the overreactions with this statement “people complains about something and then the week after, everybody forgets about it”

Well, yes. It still hurts to see how Boss shago at the end of season 1 announced ultimates but they never came. It still hurts that DH got bought. It still hurts thunder’s retro, Orchid’s thong, spaghetti hair, no fixed retros, no eyedol, manual hitstop, TJ’s animations, Maya’s animations, Pay to unlock, Gimmicky characters, Marvel like juggles, Fulgore’s washed up stage, Orchid’s face, Omen’s looks, no rooftop stage, corny stage ultras, change in art style, barebones story mode…

All these things still hurt. No I have not “forget” about these. It’s simply that one becomes tired of complaining. I think about these everyday, they hurt like the first day.

Everyone complains about how KI S1 "was going to become an “unbreakable combo festival” hadn’t S2 arrived.

I have never enjoyed KI again as much as I did in the end of S1.

3 Likes

Your right. We don’t need to argue about the difference between “big part” and “good part.” It’s all good. You make thoughtful posts, I just didn’t want you thinking I had plucked that idea out of thin air. And I am not suggesting they haven’t said that they devoted the resources to other good stuff. I just don’t want people to go nuts in their minds and then be “wait, that’s it!?!?” When the announcements come. If it turns out everyone gets everything they were dreaming of then I will be thrilled to admit I was wrong. Everyone will be too busy celebrating to rub my nose in it :smiley:

It just seems like a big chunk of the community is melting down and I don’t want to see that happen again.

Non of these things mean KI is dead.

[quote=“Filemoncio, post:64, topic:5123”]
Everyone complains about how KI S1 "was going to become an “unbreakable combo festival” hadn’t S2 arrived.
[/quote]IT WAS! I hated fighting wulf/sadira.

Well…

3 Likes

i am trying to think what stage variants could be…i made a vampires stage from sabrewulves, i imagine this after gargos rising, i really would like a real stage like this.not a variant though :worried: maybe at a higher floor or at the roof of that building

4 Likes

I agree with the TJ and Cinder parts, also I’ll add that Omen is lazy design. Also, KI not being at EVO would really be a RIP. Guest characters I don’t care for much and don’t really complain about them being added to the game. Minus Arbiter, I still think he is a weird deigned character especially without armor.

While this looks kinda cool looking I think making everything a certain color would be distracting and lazy.

I think we’re due for a much lighter Season this time around.

6 new characters total, with 4 available at launch.

3 New Stages

New lighting engine

New balance adjustments and new moves that were explained during KI Cup.

… $20 bucks for the Breaker pack. thats it.

Amen to that. Why it’s so hard to maintain a certain level of consistent quality in this game is beyond me, new developer or not. It’s almost as if Microsoft lacks experience making video games.

3 Likes

Adam has already said in an interview that the dojo will be getting changes.

I don’t believe anything I hear anymore, just going to wait and see.

3 Likes

Pretty weird that they haven’t announced any specifics for a game coming out in a few weeks. Its like MS wants this game to fade into obscurity…

This is the ONLY aspect of this entire thread that concerns me. Generally, you’d have pricing, game editions, and pre-order options a month ahead of release if not more so - with KI, we’re all still very much in the dark about all of the above.

That’s very true for a retail release. But is it true for digital releases?

Too late. I am too invested emotionally in this game to just let it go. I can’t do that. It’s like your wife telling you she wants an open relationship after 10 years of marriage.

You can’t simply say “sorry not my cup of tea, farewell Helen. Oh well keep the house and I’ll have the car and the dog”.
You’ll stay there and argue about it, even if you know the outcome won’t change.

■■■■ you, Helen.

6 Likes

Well, there are many games on XBL alone that release with little to no fanfare at all. Just go into the XBL store on any given week to see what’s new and been added that you’ve never heard of before. It happens all of the time.

Now, I realize that with how close we are to release, we’ll obviously find out answers to the questions and concerns I have in my previous post, but that’s not necessarily what concerns me - what concers me is do we really have true grasp on how popular KI really is? Is it even really that popular? Or do we, as fans of the game, simply hype it up to be or have heightened our expectations to the Nth degree?

I can go onto ranked leagues and get a reasonable and conservative estimate of how many people play KI - which would be in the thousands. It won’t be accurate, as it doesn’t include those who never play ranked or those that play offline, but it does give me a bare minimum, so to speak, so I can say there are “at least” this many people who play KI. Unfortunately, it’s not a lot. However, there are times like with the Shago fund that makes me think otherwise - how else could we raise so much money so quickly? There has to be a fanbase and big one at that. Right?

Unfortunately for us, we may never truly know - only the folks at IG and MS can ever really know that, since the information is literally pumped right to them by server connections and/or actual sales.

One thing I can say for absolute certainty however is that the community for the game itself is not dying or even waning. If anything, it’s waxing and getting bigger - it’s just doing so very slowly.

We already know that KI isn’t as big as other franchises, like SF or MK, but for me at least, that’s okay because I know it’s still in its infancy as a franchise (mostly due ot the long hiatus between releases) and will get their eventually. For now, though, the odds are that I can’t just bring up the game as a topic with some random individual on the street and have them expect to know what I’m talking about. It’s just not going to happen anytime soon. While it may take time, that day will come, though - that I have to believe in, otherwise, I wouldn’t be an avid supporter of the game. I even do what I can to introduce people to the game and help it grow - and I’m not the only one. Even if I’m wrong though, and it may truly be on its way out, then at least I, for one, can say that it was truly fun while it lasted.

2 Likes

This is a great post. I have a pretty strong opinion on this that I think is inferred from available information, but it’s ultimately just supposition.

I think KI has a small but passionate userbase. If I go to the killer Ranks I see around 5,000 killers playing in any given month. It’s tough but not that tough to get to Killer, so I would peg the total number of regular ranked players somewhere between 10-20,000. That’s being generous. Of course, regular players don’t tell you much about sales and I’m certain the number has greatly expanded through the January Gold giveaway.

The success of the community fund was probably driven by a smallish number of people giving a largish amount of money.

But you’re right it’s nowhere near MKX numbers or SFV numbers. I’m still guessing it’s way ahead of a game like Guilty Gear or BlazBlue though.

What I can’t tell you is whether this is success or failure for the project. I don’t know what they spend, I don’t know what they make, I don’t know what their targets are etc. I am someone who believes that the game is doing well enough if I can find online matches and I have always been able to find matches at KI. But I think a lot of the fans on this site probably have an inflated idea of how well the game is doing.

While I would love to see Killer Instinct become a hugely popular series on par with MK or SF, as long as they’re doing well enough to keep people employed and continue making content (or eventually a sequel) I’m happy enough.

2 Likes