Injustice 2

I want cartoon characters for the sake of having cartoon characters…

You know why Ryu from Street Fighter is boring? Because he’s all about “I need to train to be a better fighter”…

You know why Scorpion from Mortal Kombat is boring? Because he’s all about “REVENGE!!!”…

One-note characters are never interesting, because they have only one thing they are all about. It’s the exact same when it comes to “this character is the black guy” or “this character is the gay guy” or “this character is the girl”…

If they can be more than the stereotype, then I can be interested in them.

Sadly… as soon a character is gay as part of their character, people try to make it a problem… even if they are so much more than just that.

2 Likes

Watch Modern Family. The son/brother is gay. The brother and his husband can’t do one scene without pointing it out. They point it out at least 2 times in every episode. Episodes of Will and Grace “both old and new series” do it also. There was another show on NBC that was about an Irish family ml and the youngest son was gay. Same thing, they couldn’t do one show without pointing it out 10+ times. I don’t have a problem withdrawal it being in any show/movie/game. I have issues when it is crammed down my neck. I wouldn’t go to a bar and say every 3 mins “I’m straight, I only like women”.

I had zero problems with the gay issue in yhe witcher games or any of the 4 Mass effect games.

For the record, I hate the Black Canary/Green Arrow constant reminding annoying also.

1 Like

I like Will and Grace & Modern Family. But that Irish show was annoying AF

1 Like

Remember when this forum was about Injustice. I miss that.

1 Like

Do you know why they do this?
Because it’s a big deal. And the reason it’s a big deal is because it’s been taboo for so long, that when there finally were gay characters represented on network television, we had to raise the flag and yell “WE’RE HERE NOW AND WE’RE NOT GOING TO GO AWAY!!!”, and the reason we had to do that, is because there are people who would try and prevent it from happening, who would try and silence us, and even still in parts of our world to this day, will KILL people who are gay JUST because they are gay.

For someone so old and knowledgable as you, I would have thought you knew this.

Either way, there’s still people today who are fighting it and have troubles accepting that homosexuality is a thing, and that’s why we keep on being loud about it. To quote a cliché, we’re here and we’re queer, so get used to it.

Hopefully it will indeed be considered natural enough that it won’t be necessary anymore.
And still, here we are, with people having a problem with a character in a game being gay.

You mean how Hellboy has some big upper body, but his legs look like they belong to a 11 year old girl? How did no one notice this? I guess it was more important to worry about the big arm than the rest of his body. I also love that he flicks a smoke at the person. I am happy they didn’t modernize it and have him flick some E-cigarette.

That’s how he supposed to look

1 Like

I generally agree with you. I think “tokenism” is not very useful and it usually doesn’t accomplish the goal of making a game more inclusive or improve the character development, story or gameplay.

@anon39655210 I can see this is a hot button issue for you, understandably. But I’m not seeing how @FallibleJoker14 is arguing with you.

Years ago, I probably would have been in the “just leave it out of my game” camp. But I’ve spent some time in truly intolerant places where conformity is valued rather than diversity (ethnic, social and religious conformity - each in different places and in different degrees). My perspective on this has changed and while I still don’t believe in forced or phony diversity, I feel like we should be in a place in 2017 where developers can tell the stories they want to tell.

3 Likes

Well, he quoted me and started arguing, after all. Even when I tried to tell him that we were in agreement.

Oh, and the reason it’s a hot button issue for me is because I’ve lived through the hatred and felt it on my own body. I’ve been run over by people I didn’t know, but had heard from other people that I’m gay.

@CausingThought6 and I were just discussing of characters that I didn’t know about that he wanted to see in the game. Some of them happens to be gay and I mentioned I’ve heard about them… and that’s when other people decided to comment on how they didn’t want a character in the game, just because they are gay… when that was not even the topic that was discussed. And that’s what got this ball rolling, because… ffs… if everyone were so accepting and didn’t care about it, then it would not even be an issue, but fact is… that’s just not the case. There are people who just wants to make it a problem if a character turns out to be gay… which has been shown here today.

It’s sad… and as a gay guy who loves videogames, I’ve listened to bull like that time and time again… and it can only be described as homophobia. So yeah, I’ll open my mouth and spit back at those people.

I get it. I remember when Ellen had her sitcom, and the week she came out on the show, sponsors flipped out. I remember when shows use the word gay as a negative remark. I also remember that on the first Will and Grace, the week that the 2 males kissed, it made the news.

Now none of it is a big deal. The truth is that you can’t have it both ways. If you want it accepted, it cannot be a big deal. If you want it to be a big deal, then it is because people don’t accept it.

1 Like

You’re the one who started out with it being a problem with your:

When that wasn’t even what we talked about. You’re the one who made it a big deal, not me. You’re the one who started all this. So if anything, you’re the one who should just have shut up about this, because without you, none of this discussion would have happened.

Factz

1 Like

Look, I don’t care if a character is gay or not. All I care if a character is good or not. If a character is good, I won’t care if he is gay or not. If a character is bad, it won’t matter to me if he is gay or not. Still a bad character.

The issue is when a character is defined by him being gay. This can get in the way of being a good character. If the entire focus of a character is his sexuality, that is really hard to do while still making a good character. It is possible to have a good gay character though like Kung Jin.

If a character is straight, no problem. If it’s a good character, I have no issues. Gay? I still have no issues with it as long as it is a good character.

I actually disagree with this. Most of the time, it’s usually better to promote discussion than for him to just shut up.

2 Likes

Not when he’s trying to blame others for the topic being brought up afterwards.

to be 100% fair. They never said they didn’t want a gay character. They simply said they didn’t want a character in the game ONLY because they were gay. They were like you, they didn’t know much about the character, and wanted a reason for their inclusion in the game besides pure diversity. Despite being part of the LGBT Community (I am probably going to regret confessing this), I have never thought diversity for diversities sake is a good thing. No one likes token characters, and when a character is created specifically to be diverse, they are always just a token character. As someone who creates characters and franchises as a hobby, I never even decide on a characters orientation unless I decide to do a love story with them. Alex Danvers and Maggie Sawyer on Supergirl is probably the best examples of homosexual characters that I can think of, because that isn’t the only thing they are about. I don’t think he’d be opposed to a gay character if the media had done a good job at making gay characters anything other than tokens for years.

Now that I am done playing devils advocate, I can say that I am not pleased with @SadisticRage76 and his conduct on this forum. Despite coming from an interesting point of view, he has done nothing but antagonize. And angered @anon39655210 by mocking a very serious issue he has faced for most of his life. I guess he just feels the need to live up to his namesake.

2 Likes

Where my question is… why even bring that up in the first place? That wasn’t even what we were talking about. You see what I mean?

Either way, it seems like we all agree on that one-note characters who are only about that one thing are boring and unwanted. So that’s something.

1 Like

To be fair, I feel that @SadisticRage76 resulted from this right here. Based from the description, it would make sense why he doesn’t want them added. If it was described differently, such as giving some interesting traits and then mentioning that they were gay, it wouldn’t be a huge issue. It’s not that he hate gays but more that he hates token characters

1 Like

Whoa, hold on now…
This I need some explanation on…

All you know about them is that they are gay… and you don’t like them because of that?

I deleted the comment. I shouldn’t have said that and I am very sorry. I didn’t like them because I assumed they were token characters. But I shouldn’t have assumed that. That was wrong. I should have though more before I posted.