Injustice 2

I never said I wanted them in the game. I don’t really know them.

Thing is though, there will always be homophobes who will hide behind that arguement of yours, calling the devs SJWs and what not, just for including a character who is anything but straight, no matter how the character is presented in the game.

Take Kung Jin for example. It is never directly said that he is gay, but was confirmed by a developer. Kung Jin’s entire character arch was about him once struggling as a poor thief and was now a shaolin monk who had to learn to work well with others, put his arrogance aside and learn to trust people… which he eventually does.

Yet there are people who think NRS just put him in MKX to “please the LGBT people”, and use that as a justification to hate him as a character, while ignoring everything else about him.

If NRS decided to put the Midnighter in I2, either as a skin or not, it would be because people like him as a character, and not just because they want to add another gay character in the game. Because these “SJW” reasons homophobes try to blame is only in their own heads, just so they can point fingers and be hateful b@stards.

Also, the readers’ age demographic is highest at mid-twenties and thirties, not teens, as seen here:

Hah, seems like we had the same thought. XD

4 Likes

i got a better idea, why not leave the sexual preferences of fictional videogame characters out of the picture and just leave it to the players’ imagination. all this identity BS is tiresome.

2 Likes

I would initially agree with you, but when writing interesting characters, all aspects are important. Diversity is the spice of life, after all.

As for Injustice’s case, the characters are from comic books where their entire lives are painted out and written for people to read about. These characters aren’t shallow fighting game characters whose only purpose is to kick and punch each other in all sorts of ways. And when writing interesting characters, all aspects are important… which includes their sexualities and romantic orientations.

Even Street Fighter, whose characters are mostly just “karate guy”, “kung fu girl”, “military man”, and other stereotypes, have a lot of diversity representing all sorts of nationalities and ways of life.

1 Like

lol. naw thats ok, when i play a videogame i dont care who is fuckking who or what, i dont care who is romantically involved. i play a game to have fun, and get some diversion from my hectic work week that i endure endlessly. identity politics are being shoved down our throats across the entertainment spectrum and its BS i dont care for. if you want your spice of life, go read the comics they got all the material you need, especially marvel

1 Like

You do realize that Injustice is based on comic books, right? The DC Universe? Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman… they are all characters from comic books…

1 Like

yep i do, and i dont care about that either go read your comics and go discuss your identity BS on DC forums

And you’re totally missing the point…
-sigh-

1 Like

If you think that businesses in this country “US” would just put a character in a game to please a group of people, you are very wrong. we have TV networks based on that exact idea. There are all sorts of marketing plans and ideas just for this topic.

I Remember when the gay comic started to become a big deal. All Marvel and DC did was find characters that had small fan base and turn them. The fan base had to be large enough for it to matter, but small, so that it would not cause an issue.

I just need to remember that you are not old enough to have seen what I have, or know the things that I do.

Oh, and how old am I then?

I think if we are talking about “is Poison from SF transsexual or a woman?” It’s the kind of topic that just gets people riled up. Likewise if the only interesting thing about a character is their sexual orientation then I would agree that it doesn’t make sense to put them in. For Midnighter and Apollo, if “gay Batman and Superman” is really the best description then it’s hard to be in favor. But I could be convinced if the characters themselves have something to bring to the table.

I do think, though, that it’s disingenuous to say “I don’t care about their sexual orientation, so just leave it out.” If you don’t care then why are you commenting on it? The characters in Injustice have stories and those stories are referenced in the game. No one is all angry about Green Arrow and Black Canary’s gratuitous and unnecessary relationship. But this plays a very prominent role in their characters. It’s in their pre and post match dialogue. And I don’t see you guys all complaining that you “don’t care who they have sex with, I just want to play the game.” It seems to me that what you mean is “I don’t want to hear about gay people.” Otherwise I don’t know why you aren’t busy complaining about all the cute, story related conversations characters have throughout the game.

I thought Kung Jin was very well handled. Yes he’s gay. No it’s not something they make a huge deal about. No it’s not the only thing interesting about him, nor is it offered up as somehow providing a backstory in and of itself. Kung Jin’s role in the story isn’t “he’s the gay one.”

If you don’t care about the story then great. Please feel free to not care about it. In which case you shouldn’t be worried about whether the characters are gay or not.

5 Likes

Glad to see you back on the ground. ^^

i am feeling free to not care, thank you!

As we will not care about your request then, and continue the talk here, thank you. ^^

Diversity for diversity’s sake is not a a good way to design your characters in my opinion. Although you don’t want the same “white guy who knows karate” vibe in every character but we shouldn’t just be picking the most marginilzed groups just so they could feel “represented.” As long as they handle it in a interesting and clean way without shoving it down my throat, I believe that diversity can be a great thing that games can learn to incorporate (Look at KI!)

3 Likes

Thing is, game developers can have diversity in mind AND make good characters out of them as well.

3 Likes

Yes that is true, but something like making a character a “gay transgender space alien” for example and making them repeat it to you every interaction, intro, and outro, is diversity gone wrong in a game (there might be some examples of this but I can’t think of any right now). This idea of diversity for diversity’s sake might be more prevelant in other forms of media like movies and tv shows

2 Likes

… Seriously?

What is wrong with diversity? What is wrong with representation? What is wrong with having characters in a game be something you are not?

I already agreed that making a character based ONLY on that one thing isn’t a good thing, because it’s not interesting, but having a character who is gay as part of him/her seems to freak out some of you guys for no reason… unless you have something against gay people. Otherwise there’d be no reason for any of you to argue against this.

As BigBadAndy mentioned, no one cried about the obvious romance between Green Arrow and Black Canary in I2… but heaven forbid that one of the characters are gay, right?! And if they somehow showed it or even just hinted at it, THAT would be shoving it down your throats!!! Because OH NO, it’s not like straight people and their romances and sexuality aren’t being shoved down our throats all the time, right? But that doesn’t matter, because it’s not gay, so it’s okay, right?

Yeah, this is what I’m dealing with all the time… so when game developers show a gay character in their game, I take it as a win for my team, because that shows that the devs aren’t being homophobic a-holes… those who complain about it, however…

Look it was the first thing that came to mind, I’m sorry if it came out as something as homophobic or anything in that regard. I’m saying is that if they incorporate a gay or lesbians character, I want to them to be recognized more as just the “lesbians or gay” character. I’m sorry if you read my post differently then I intended it to be portrayed as

1 Like

That’s exactly what I’ve been saying as well… so why keep arguing?

I just wanted to put my opinion on the issue, it’s something I’m passionate about because of stereotypes I’ve seen in other forms of media. I just saw the conversation regarding this today.

1 Like