Improvments to Kan-Ra

Im just happy to know that you read these Keits.

2 Likes

There was a video(I have to search it) during S2 which explained the exact outcome of whirl. It was explored deeply, managing to show how, when, and why it sends the opponent fullscreen, close, or whatever.

ive seen that bug before

Seriously, I have to see it. Where is it?

EDIT: Are you taking about that video where his twister projectile is explained? That got changed anyway

1 Like

Maybe Iā€™m just reading this wrong, but couldnā€™t you just do research on this as well? Not entirely sure why itā€™s the developerā€™s job to explain this to you when you have the game itself as well as an entire community to talk to about it, but oh well.

@TheKeits I know that Jago and Fulgore are getting some changes in the next patch. Just curious if you think Kan Raā€™s in a good place, or if you see him getting any adjustments. I know that up until recently, some of have been hoping for buffs, but wasnā€™t sure if thatā€™s still the case or what you guys think of him right now.

@Iago407
He obviously asked me some rhetorical questions. Which kinda answered my questions. Just thought it would have been nicer to get a real answer. From one of the guys who came up with that stuff.

And no I donā€™t think every possible outcome from shadow whirl was intended. Itā€™s buggy and it would be cool if someone could look into it.

And even if the outcomes are intended. What is the point in it? Why not just let me combo after spending some meter on a move that hit? Why do I have to figure out every outcome instead of just make my opponent land right next to me so I can hit the **** out of him/her?

@TheKeits?

On the other hand, as I said, I am fine with it. Makes that character interesting.

Do you guys think Kan-Ra will just stay the way he is? or might take on some adjustments in upcoming updates?

I agree that kan-ra is one of the weakest characters in the game. Whether or not IG thinks that changing that is a good idea is up to them, but I think he could be buffed in small ways that make him more enjoyable to play. Iā€™m going to highlight some frustrations I have with playing him, but donā€™t take this as me suggesting he be improved in all of these areas. I just think that thereā€™s MANY areas where he could see small improvements in ways that donā€™t make him tangibly more frustrating to fight.

I do understand that characters should be designed with weaknesses in mind, and Iā€™m not going into this from the point of view that all of the flaws he has are unintentional or something. I just think that as far as weaknesses go, he may have too many.

First, I agree with @F3Sleep that sandsplosion is not a move worth using, at least not very often. Considering just how risky it is, and how little he gets for successfully using it, solid blocking seems more like the way to go. I donā€™t think it would be too much to make it instinct cancellable, or reduce the amount of PD it builds.

Iā€™m usually the one arguing against this point of view, but for kan-ra specifically it rarely feels worth it to spend time in the combo system. So many of his best tools are multihits, plus his linkers have worse-than-normal scaling, and the end result is that without meter kan-ra just doesnā€™t see much reward for extending combosā€“he often ends up starting a combo close to level 2, but scaled so heavily heā€™s unlikely to reach level 3 or 4. He canā€™t even open a combo from a light attack without scaling it by 5 hits and adding a bunch of KV. Would it be unreasonable for him to just have normal linker scaling?

As far as defense goes, the issue isnā€™t just sandsplosionā€“kan-ra has terrible options to deal with frame neutral situations, or even ones where his opponent is in his face and minus. Not only does he have no fast normals that are plus or even on block, he doesnā€™t have any chainable lights. Heā€™s just terrible at getting back to a distance where he likes to fight. To compare to glacius, the icemanā€™s 2LP is 5 frames and +1 on block, with range pretty close to kanā€™s 2MK, which at 9 frames is his fastest plus on block move that creates space. That kind of direct comparison does glaze over differences between the two characters but I think itā€™s worth pointing out that glacius ALSO has a resourceless DP that does big damage, can be safe for a bar, and gives him a chance to get hail out, while being a similar character archetype to kan-ra. Maybe he shouldnā€™t be able to mash his way to safety whenever someone gets close, but SOME tool to create space safely would help a lot.

Kanā€™s splat/launcher enders are some of the worst in the game. His wallsplat doesnā€™t give him enough time to use options other than throw for a meaningful mixup, and his launcher ender only allows for light followups at levels 1/2/3. I get that recaptures off launchers are strong but given how heavily his combos scale anyway I wonder if making his followup after launcher a mixup beyond the counterbreak mindgame would really be a problem.

Getting into more nitpicky territory, whatā€™s the deal with shadow clutch? Likeā€¦I get the ender version, but the neutral version of the move is pretty much pointlessā€“slow, easily jumpable, and even if it connects the damage is pitiful. I guess the throw invul is good but Iā€™d rather just backdash or tech and not lose a bar if I guessed wrong. Like, you could buff the moveā€™s damage by 80% (from ~44 damage to ~80 damage) and it probably still wouldnā€™t be that good.

I also think that just as an ease of use thing, giving him bigger windows to cancel to linkers/doubles after his openers would make him more approachable for someone wanting to learn him. Specifically for scarab opener, the window to cancel is annoyingly small.

I dunno, thereā€™s a good chance all this is stuff has already been taken into consideration. Iā€™m just saying that I would enjoy kan-ra more if some of this stuff was adjusted. He can be buffed without being brought back to season 2 status.

6 Likes

I can safely say i agree with everything in said 100% . That was right on the nose.

2 Likes

Just because kanra won a beatdown btw nobody important enter that week (ā€œONLINE tournamentā€) does not change the fact he is struggling tremendously this season. This cast which has every tool to get in and out freely from kanra traps/scrabs. Also online Kanra shenanigans will not work the same in a offline setting period! Ive played fubuki and he is amazing ill give him that with kan but there are things that are obviously not going to work effectively in a offline tournament. This has been proven to be true, me being the s2 kanra of 2015 most of these online setups failed me offline in live gameplay. Sadly these setups Iā€™ve done a million times was not giving me the same results as online gave me. Most of these setups are false!.. Or known as an online illusion!.. because of the online lag which will always be there regardless of kiā€™s amazing netcode. These are just my thoughts please do not take serious offence! I was just asked to make a statement on this matter.

4 Likes

Ouch.

6 Likes

Yup i said it :wink: HOLLYWOOD!!!

2 Likes

iā€™m not even mad, you won EVO :laughing:

2 Likes

Completely agree, Hisako can vengeance counter an explosion/reversal, most of Kanā€™s hits are minus on block allowing very little to no option of escape (let alone even if they make contact on block still can be severely punished), receives very little reward for such long successful combos or shadow moves, and some of his mechanics are trash such as whirl at certain points where it leaves you in a neutral position and juggle options may need some more work. Iā€™ve taken time to go into the polls and surveys to advocate for changes to Kan-Ra and hopefully they will make some great changes to him or maybe they are making him look bad at first only to have him rise to glory with amazing changes in the end of future updates? ~ Hail Ra!

2 Likes

Sand explosion has a terrible hitbox and recovery I agree but I think the devs dont want it used much. I am not sure why a dp recovers faster than sand explosion or why at least some dp can be instinct canceled. You can not jump out of a dp most of the time as they tend to auto correct but you sure can jump out of sand explosion. You can even jump into sand explosion if done correctly. Explosion is bad no doubt. As far as the launcher ender is concerned it does not offer a lot of freedom as to which buttons you can press from a level 1-3 you are simply pressing light or using shadow whirl would be cool if you could do more depending on the ender level. Using shadow whirl would be fine except any hope of getting damage if you get away with it isnt happening because of scaling you must go for some sort of reset after it. I honestly have not spent a ton of time with the wall splat yet but I was just thinking last night that I should so I plan to see what I can make happen with wallsplat it might be great. Shadow Clutch after a stagger does seem to add some potential damage but not nearly enough to make it useful. I have not found a good use for it in neutral yet it may exist but i have not found it maybe in neutral it should eat projectiles like rash tongue for instinct or meter lol just kidding unless you are really going to make it happen.

2 Likes

Kan is not bad but he simply isnt easy to be effective with. I honestly never want him to be as he was in S2. I dont see a ton of Ra in ranked and that is because you cant just pick him up and win free like you can with Hisako, Fulgore, Jago I see a ton of those in ranked and players that arent even good at the game can win easily with those characters. People actually like it when they see a person playing a good Kan now. I am for some Kan changes to give him more options but not too many

2 Likes

What if there was a way to ā€œbuffā€ Sandsplosion, making it more effective, but in order to do so, the opponent had to be cursed??? Iā€™m juggling this thought in my mind, and I figured Iā€™d hear your guysā€™ thoughts on that.

Personally I think that in instinct while he has sand all over it should just be the regular sand explosion from S2 hitbox and recovery then when not in instinct he can have the bad one.

3 Likes

Makes a good bit of sense to me

For using shadow clutch in neutral, itā€™s 10 frame startup so you CAN use it to whiff punish some stuff, but itā€™s just not enough damage to be worth it. Itā€™s only about 1% more damage than regular clutch (though the combo counter says 2%)