If You Could Nerf One Character

Or just make a missed one HKD herself lol

Maybe so, but if I could have 1 nerf, thatā€™s what I would like to see.

Hummm I donā€™t think you meant to answer my post? XD

Iā€™d ask to trade the one nerf for one buff (which would obviously be medium wind kick -3 on block), or otherwise decline to use said nerf.

I hate the focus on nerfing, and I donā€™t want to see any more of it for months to come. The nerfs are taking characters out of the echelon of power play that I wanted to see all characters playing within. With the possible exception of Mira (though not any Mira play Iā€™ve seen to date), there are no characters in KI who are currently too strong or doing anything too degenerate, but there is a ā– ā– ā– ā– -ton of characters who are too weak and, typically, who are no longer playing the potent midscreen game that played such a big role in drawing me into KI in the first place.

Stop thinking about nerfs. Ask for buffs.

You should probably just go ahead and make this a discussion thread, or make an accompanying discussion thread if you really want to stick to your guns.

1 Like

Thunder cannot do followups after a blocked shadow Sammamish. On hit or on whiff is fine, and on block for the regular ones is fine.

But mostly I think the top tiers are fine in the game after 3.7 and I wouldnā€™t want to see any substantial nerfs to them. Iā€™d agree that the game could probably use a few buffs to a handful of weaker chars instead, if theyā€™re gonna do anything.

6 Likes

Ohā€¦cause we were bothā€¦ohā€¦nevermind.

1 Like

There are characters who are considered by alot of people to be degenerate though to be frank. In regards to weakness itā€™s just a symptom of IG not knowing what to do to bring them up to par without doing something they wonā€™t like or have unideal results or back to square one with their issues Like some characters if brought up to bar are just cancerous lol. Some thereā€™s only so much you can do because they have innate flaws in their gamepaly. Others are clear inferiors to others that fight similar to them.

Itā€™s more a question of how can we make x function at peak efficiency and get good result with it. Aslo you forgot to note that Glacius got some pretty great buffs to his moves last patch

Thereā€™s not really a lot in your response that I can discuss without phrases like ā€œsuch as?ā€.

I donā€™t intend to spread outright toxicity regarding IGā€™s balance decisions, if thatā€™s your concern. I realize that charting a course for combat design and balance that enables extensibility, and gives them any chance of mostly keeping a lid on utterly broken stuff slipping by QA unnoticed and then emerging in the wild, is a difficult thing which requires hard decisions and compromises. The combat designers at IG have obviously put a lot of thought into their decisions, and have placed their bets, for better or worse. Iā€™m hardly going to jump onto Twitch or Youtube with some screed about how the game is garbage and people should stop playing it.

But I am less interested in KI as a result of decisions that have been made since the start of season 3, which have generally had the combined effect of making offensive toolsets tamer, particularly at midscreen. Iā€™m also not convinced that this was the only reasonable direction for combat design to move in, that enhancing certain charactersā€™ toolsets is impossible without making them degenerate and broken, as you say. In a way I think it compromises an important part of KIā€™s core ethos ā€“ it says ā€œyeah, SF-obsessed bystanders, you were right when, say, you called safe forward-moving attacks yolo and scrubby and mindless. We will endeavor to be more like our betters in the SF community.ā€ All else being equal, I wish the game and the community would celebrate the interactions in KI which set it apart from the rest of the FGC, rather than seeking to assimilate with the SF sceneā€™s dogmas.

For those who are largely fine with the current balance but have some hangups, I think this thread positions nerfs as the natural, default answer to said hangups. It says, ā€œI struggle against Fulgoreā€™s pressure (in concert with the rest of his arsenal probably?) and the answer is to make Fulgore a worse pressurer,ā€ or ā€œI struggle to deal with Gargosā€™s minions and the answer is to delete minions from the game.ā€ I donā€™t know where SonicDolphin is going with his ā€œexperimentā€, but I think this is the net effect.

You could instead be asking for those (genuinely interesting) tools to remain potent, but for other characters to gain (also potentially interesting) tools with which to deal with those tools, or with which to make other aspects of those matchups more favorable for them. (Assuming, of course, that other characters donā€™t match up well against Fulgore or Gargos in the first place.)

Back in season 2 we had competitive players criticizing the ā€œyoloā€ mixups and whatnot and screaming FOOTSIES from the rooftops, and then when IG did something about it they became hyper-toxic about the powerful safe games that emerged from the likes of Jago and Fulgore players, and now it seems like IG is doing something about that stuff too. Itā€™s just a vicious cycle of people ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  on the dirt they get beaten by, leading to more and more nerfs until none of the characters do anything interesting anymore and, maybe by some point mid-season 5, weā€™re basically playing a reskinned Street Fighter. Maybe thereā€™s an audience for that, but for someone who genuinely enjoys the very different paradigms of strategic thinking that KI required of players from the outset, I have to check out at some point before then, and there isnā€™t really anywhere for me to go.

Anyway, a few specfics:

Iā€™m not seeing why this was relevant. ā€œMidscreen play is broadly not as potent as beforeā€ is not the same claim as ā€œall recent balance changes have been nerfs.ā€

I was trying to refrain from using the phrase ā€œsuch as?ā€, but, erā€¦such as?

2 Likes

remove vengeance counters from hisako i just hate this move xd

4 Likes

there is so many characters i would like to nerf but if i had to choose one it would be thunders damage reduced 80%
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

If youā€™re assuming I made this thread because I think the game needs to be adjustedā€¦no.

I just did this for fun. It doesnā€™t really have to go anywhere.

7 Likes

Buff Sadiraā€¦

Oh dang itā€¦ you mean nerf a characterā€¦ mmmm

Reduce the hitbox to Rashā€™s Shadow Big Boot, as at this moment it can juggle you while you are BEHIND him.

3 Likes

Wow oh wow, ATI Masters really would have a challenge getting his 70th Star. :smiley:

1 Like

aw hell naw im out of here

5 Likes

I feel you, and largely agree that the wind kick nerf isnā€™t a change I would have ever made to Jago. At the same time though, I think KIā€™s characters are still the most interesting mashup of archetypes and toolsets in the scene right now, and think any fears of the game being eventually homogenized into blanditude are baseless. KI is still a crazy game in the midscreen even with an unsafe windkick, and will remain so even if both Glacius and Fulgore saw nerfs to their forward advancing specials.

For my single nerf, Iā€™d make it so Fulgoreā€™s throw no longer gives such a long HKD. Heā€™d get no vortex options off of his (rather impressively long-ranged) throw anymore.

4 Likes

Iā€™d make it so that Shin Hisakoā€™s command grab not be a hard knockdown. It already leads to powerful pressure but being hit by it should not lead to even more pressure when it lands.

Thatā€™s actually a really good idea and makes a lot of sense.

@SonicDolphin117 im sorry cause you said 1 nerf for one character and no discussion, but im just lost in my choice. so im gonna open a poll with more option to it,

mine will be to make all kind of DP punishable on block and no follow up , just the same as what happened to maya, im snipe on thunder atm lol

Nerf for Gargos - Reduce his meter gain by half for each minion out. 2 minions out means no meter gain. That or significantly increase the meter gain the opponent gets for blocking his portal punches.

Side Note

No point in asking for only 1 nerf per post. People donā€™t listen :stuck_out_tongue:

could not say it better myself lol

1 Like