If there is a sequel, I hope there's a new engine

Yeah I don’t know who owns the rights to the Hex Engine, but I’m assuming it’s DH. If that’s the case, then my guess is that IG or whoever MS might tap for a sequel would need to build it from the ground up, either using Unreal 4 or something along those lines. Complete guess on my part, of course.

As for the blood or gore toggle, it’d be nice in theory, but wouldn’t that put the developer in a situation where they’d have to create a lot more work, whether it’s recoloring blood animations, perhaps giving each character a T rated ultimate and an M rated ultimate… Plus, if that stuff’s in the game, even with a code, you’re still talking about the game being judged by its most mature content, and MS didn’t want this game having an M rating before. I doubt a code keeps them in the T range.

I also don’t think it’s censorship. It’s a creative choice. Choosing to go in a specific direction for the game isn’t censoring anything since the stuff that’s being “censored” doesn’t exist. It’s not like they had brutal ultimates in this game and then took them out because some group pressured them into it.

Regardless, as far as what I’d like to see out of a new engine, I’d just say improved animations on any and all movements and higher graphical quality where it comes to faces, hair, and many other textures. Ya know, just make the game look and play more smoothly.

I already think this is an amazing game, so hopefully a sequel can build on what this one did well in every possible way. Sort of the Mortal Kombat 2 vs the original Mortal Kombat idea. Make it look and run better, then do more of everything.

Thais why I hope future games maintain KI 2013’s speed.

Yeah, a game is rated by its worst content. Several MK games have had blood & gore toggles and they have all been rated M.
That being said, a toggle for either shouldn’t be complicated. In most cases changing something like that is simply a matter of changing out a 1 for a 0. It might be a little more complicated, but doubtful.

I would love an engine that could support tag team and head-tracking. I really miss this last feature…not sure if it was anything related to the engine.

3 Likes
  1. why are people so obsessed with Tag Team Mode. I don’t get it. Now team battle like the older Tekken games, i’d be all over that.

2. what is head-tracking?

1. ?

2.its when the character’s head follow the opponent and vice versa.

Team Battle was a cool mode where you and your opponent pick 6 characters each. Each character gets 1 health bar. First person to loose all of there teammates is the looser. It was essentially a way to do 6 matches back to back without having to go back to the menu. I love that idea way more than a tag team mode, which I don’t see the appeal of.

It’s just a preference, I guess. Team battle is also very appealing.

Anyway, I can only speak for myself and I have been dying for a good tag team game that is not a Marvel game, where everyone is just jumping around like little monkeys. Street fighter tag team was my dream but that got crushed by gems and other nonsense with SFxT.

What I would also love instead of gore is combat damage on characters. Not over the top like in MK9, but like in Art of Fighting, some lasurations, bruises, tired idle animations, that would be awesome af.

2 Likes

They actually just added that in Naruto… I was pleasantly surprised. Its weird… I feel like theres alot of untapped potential when it comes to Dynamic effects to outfits/appearance over the course of a fight.

If there is a KI4 it will no doubt be developed on MS next gen console (it will NOT be an Xbox One game, it’s too late in the cycle). So yeah I’m pretty confident it’ll be based off an all new engine to take advantage of the power.

OP: “I want a new engine for the sequel”

Proceeds to list a series of things that this would “fix” - none of which have anything to do wth the engine.

I’m not going to debate the merits of the things that you are asking for. But if you want to post about a new engine, it’s probably a good idea to know something about what the “engine” actually does and doesn’t do.

For example, engines don’t create animations. They also don’t dictate whether characters can have finishers. And “engine” isn’t the entirety of a games code it’s just a framework with built in tools to help make the programming easier - but usually mostly around rendering visuals… Doom and Tekken 7 are both using the Unreal engine. That doesn’t make Tekken a FPS nor Doom a fighter.

90% of the comments in this thread are about things that have nothing to do with what engine the build the game in.

10 Likes

I dunno, I’m not sure how involved it would be to change blood colors or certain other M rated aspects of he game in to something more T rated. I mean, the code itself could certainly be a switch of sorts, but as far as how much it actually changes and how those changes would be implemented, that seems a bit more complicated, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, I’m guilty of that one here. Part of my word blob above was stuff that I wanted to see in general, but I should’ve known better then to put the animations part. My bad. I still want all that stuff I mentioned for a sequel, but I should probably read up a bit more on what an engine does and doesn’t do before I go asking for stuff. :blush:

I would really like it if they gave KI a Comic Book aesthetic. Something like the new DBFZ or Guilty Gear.

2 Likes

Cell shading wouldn’t be too hard to include, but I’m not sure it would be as effective for KI. I’ve seen cell shading used in lots of places but only two that I think set the standard for excellence. The first is Platinum Games mediocre Transformers game. The visuals are a perfect throwback to the gen 1 cartoons. The second is Arc System Works in Guilty Gear and DBFZ.

In both of those cases, they have taken excellent and well recognized hand drawn art and made brilliant 3D recreations. This is not easy to do, as converting 2D to 3D is always liable to produce really odd results (take a look at South Park for N64 - which recreates those characters perfectly and yet is the stuff of nightmares, for just one example). But Platinum and ASW got it right, and astonishingly so. You can’t tell GG or DBFZ are not 2D until or unless they do something like pan the camera. But the reason that is SO impactful is because of the familiar reference material. I’m afraid that KI has no significant body of (consistent) 2D art to reference. So even a great job in that style will still not be as impactful.

2 Likes

I think a borderlands type thing is more appropriate.

I just think it would be a nice throwback to the comics and would be an easy way to say, tie them into a story mode or something. Wouldn’t need to be full on 3d I don’t think either. I think KI might sit fine in a 2d animated environment. The game is crazy enough and the characters don’t behave like traditional beings like Tekken. I think they could do enough with 2d for the fighting itself and maybe go the cinematic route for ultra’s or ultimates and supers? It’s just an idea. I just feel there’s a lot of source material in comic form to make a great version of KI from.

True. I think most people (and I’m guilty of this as well in this thread) just use “engine” as shorthand for “rebuild game from as close to the ground up as necessary to add in stuff we want.”

I’m not arguing with you. It might look great - but I don’t think the comics are really such a hot property that people will recognize their influence and with different artist every month there’s no iconic visual style there.

I’m not sure what you mean. KI is currently a 2D fighter with 3D graphics - as are most of the other big 2D FGs (SF, MK, GG, DBFZ). Hand drawn or pixel animated 2D games are becoming a lost art and I’d be really surprised if the next KI did that. It would be costly and probably not appreciated. After all KI originally used 2D Sprites digitized from actual 3D models. So it was never a 2D animated game even back in the day.

But these games can’t switch back and forth. The graphics are always 3D even if the fighting is in a 2D plane.

While I would like KI’s art style to become more timeless, cell shading is the wrong way to go for me. I would much rather a more Pixar/overwatch style.

1 Like