I am disapointed with Season 3

As always the same tired argument over guest characters from people that think they’re entitled to whatever the few here on the forums are shouting for.

I understand the frustration with guests, but I’m grateful that it didn’t turn into MKX where fifty of the characters in the universe were forgotten, but movie icons, that appeal to movie fans and not gamers mainly, get so much attention. With the exception of Eyedol, every character made it in (Eydol will come in soon too), and we have had two seasons of reviving the game for diehards.

I think guests are nice because they help this game grow. My girlfriend and I absolutely love Gears, but we started playing KI before knowing about guests coming in. She wanted Skorge, and I wanted RAAM because it’s nice to see two of our favorite games combine. Even if Skorge did come in later, she would still love Spinal the most, but she still likes how guests can make the game grow. And we like how everyone gets something out of KI. Huge fans get to see Gargos back after so many years, as well as the rest, plus amazing newbies like Aganos and Hisako. At the same time, Halo, Gears, and Battletoads fans get to experience this great game and help us grow. It helps those franchises as well as KI.

I’m not sure if this is a good example, but look at Halo Wars. It’s a strategy game, but so many people bought ut because it was Halo, and now it’s getting a sequel. I never cared for strategy games, but it’s one of my favorite Halo games. I like KI guests because they can unite gamers from diverse backgrounds and help so many genres and series expand. It’s good to see we aren’t being ignored for a cash grab like MKX. We’re completing the classic roster soon (I know Eyedol will come soon), and that survey implies a potential season 4. I think it’s fair that we got two great seasons for KI fans, and now the devs are focusing on trying to please newbies and diehards alike.

See, the thing is, they did ask for it.

People actually wanted Rash, or just any Battletoads character. There were fake renders people were making before he was announced. You can try looking for them if you want but it might be harder now that he’s real.

There was a thread made a while back about how they could include a real grappler into the game. They got their wish in the form of General RAAM. It doesn’t matter that it’s RAAM, it’s the playstyle that they wanted that matters.

4 Likes

Meh not really but you never know

We got a halo rep, and what new halo game is coming out? already?

mm don’t quite see the resemblance at all. Still it is nice

The Halo Brute in the survey is vague because it could be Tartarus from Halo 2, or Atriox, the new Brute from Halo Wars 2. I feel like it will be the latter just to use to hype up Atriox in the upcoming Halo Wars, and bring in some more Halo fans. On top of that, if a S4 gets revealed a couple months after S3 ends, the could even include Skorge as another Gears guest to further promote Gears 4, and get some more Gears fans since there’s a decent split in that community when it comes to RAAM vs Skorge (RAAM made it in KI due to him being much more iconic since he was arguably the best antagonist in the series). I still think there’s lots of room for cross promotion between KI and Gears/Halo since there are new games coming out soon.

And lets not forget after Rash and multiple guest characters were announced for S3 tons of people on the forums were debating and asking for guest characters like Master Chief, Arbiter, Marcus Fenix, Skorge, RAAM, etc.

1 Like

What I want to kniw is, why is that necessary? I mean they already have a represenative from Halo already and Gears. Sure those guys have fans, but come on.

I’d much rather their be no more guests that are from the same franchise. I’m open to the idea of at least one more guest. and I’d much rather that’d be the case.

I’m hoping none of that ever comes true. Sorry to the cheif fans but Arby’s in it now. we don’t need another Halo character in the game. I love Halo, but I’d appreciate it if I didn’t get any more BBQ sauce on my cake please.

That isn’t the point I was making. I was adding to what swordsman was saying about people wanting guest characters, such as a Battletoad, as opposed to not asking for them. My point was that when it was announced that there would be multiple guest characters in S3, people here on the forums were all over the idea of guest characters like Master Chief and Marcus Fenix.

In redux:

1.People did ask for guests (FACT)

2.Guests are a part of this games roster (FACT)

3.They do add to the core game but not the story. (FACT)


4 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like guests either. When I filled out the survey, all of the guests were ranked dead last for me. However, the idea that we could easily just have original KI characters that can play in the style of the guests doesn’t work for what they’re trying to do.

They want to specifically put Arbiter in the game to lure in Halo fans. A KI character that plays like Arbiter will not accomplish this, of course. Unless they wanted to make a character that’s a blatant Halo rip off, but not “actually” Halo, in which case, I almost tend to wonder if something like that would have the opposite effect for Halo fans.

But that’s kinda what I was driving at in my last post. This game isn’t just for you and me. It’s not just for the .0015% that filled out the surveys or come to this site or go to tournaments, etc. They also need to sell this game to everyone else and if that means some people view it as that game with Joanna Dark or Raam or whoever, I personally think that’s a small price to pay for us getting more content that we actually DO want and care about, ya know?

Now, people might dislike the fact that this sort of trade off needs to be made in the first place and they might even argue its necessity to begin with. I like that the guests raise the profile of the game. I like that a Raam trailer gets six times the views than a trailer for Tusk or whatever it is because it means more people are seeing it and caring about it.

If more people decide to play the game because Raam’s in it or Rash is in it, maybe they’ll also decide to branch out and try some other characters and actually become fans of KI and not just their one character. Maybe not. But to me, it’s still worth the gamble. KI gets more fans, MS gets more money, and we still have content that we enjoy, even if part of what we’re paying for might not be what we want in the game. We’re paying customers, but we’re not the only paying customers.

It kinda goes back to what I said in another thread recently as well… I don’t even agree with some of the stuff that other fans on this site want. I don’t want that Shark TJ idea. I vaguely recall you being in to that (unless I’m mistaken?) and if so, that’s GREAT for you! No doubt. I wouldn’t question your taste or your preferences and certainly not your right to have them and voice them on this site.

But I personally despise the idea. Every picture I’ve seen of an idea for this character only serves to illustrate how much I absolutely loathe it. To me, it looks worse than Rash. A shark with legs. That’s not a werewolf or a robot or a dinosaur or even a guest. That’s an anthropomorphic canon character and one that doesn’t appeal to me at all.

But that’s okay too. We don’t have to think the same way about this. We each get a vote. We all get a vote and hopefully IG listens and makes the decisions that they think are best for the game based on their knowledge and our feedback.

Same goes for the guest characters and other stuff that people outside of the immediate core audience might be lured in by or interested in. We’re all a part of this community, from the Battletoads fan that only bought the game for Rash to the forum regular, to the pro that goes to every tourney. It can be hard to remember at times, but we all get served (and underserved) equally. It’s the whole package, and the big picture that matters. To me, there’s still something great for everyone, even if I might not love every part of it. They can’t please everyone in these different groups, after all. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yea that shark idea is lame. They brought in so many characters in the new backstories that deserve a spot before a joke shark.

the disavowed
Rylai spider sisters
Mrs combo
Kim wus grandfather
Orchids dad/ grandmother
Jago sensei
The king from kan ra/ aganos story
Hisako village warrior

Ftw

1 Like

@lago407

Fair enough. Honestly I’m actually indifferent about a Shark man creature. I just figured using the water element and not the cold element, which Glacius uses would be interesting. However they do it hopefully it gets pulled off well.

And well, I guess it’s been so long I kinda lost site of things like that. Heck I remember even in the past during the earliest season when I once told someone that “just cause you’re paying money doesn’t mean you have to act like IG and MS should wait you hand and foot” While you did it in the most polite and reasonable manner not gonna lie it has made me somewhat humble.

On a generally good note I would like it if KI does get Ultimates for everyone this time around. And if that means I have to tolerate a Joanna Dark who at worst will be another MK9 Stryker, then well that’s fine I guess. The ideas of guests still do not appeal to me, or at least the idea of more because of my experience with stuff like Star-Wars characters in SC4, and the horror movie villains in MKX etc. Probably blinded me by the possibility that, unlike them it may not really hurt me by much.

In my opinion half of those suggestions should stay as background story characters. But I like the idea of the King, Jago’s Sensei and what not.

1 Like

Oh absolutely! If they could do a darker, more KI-like version of say… Rikuo from Darkstalkers or Trident from Eternal Champions… I’d be ALL about that! I just thought the man-shark thing looked pretty bad and kinda silly, but that’s just my take on it. I find zero fault in anyone that thinks otherwise.

Yeah I hope you didn’t take anything I said personally. :slight_smile: I’ve seen you on these forums for a long time and I know you’re one of the good ones, so I definitely wasn’t trying to condescend or berate or anything along those lines.

You have a good attitude about it, if you don’t mind my saying so. I’m not that in to ultimates personally, but I hope we get them because I know that others are much more heavily invested in the game receiving them.

But yeah, the general sentiment is one that I think we all need to live with. I think we got so used to the idea of getting a certain number of stages or getting a certain number of canon characters, that it can be a bit confusing or even frustrating when they make changes to things that we consider a given or a known where it comes to this game.

I mean… I still miss Adam’s Q&A posts where we’d get some hints here and there, some progress type stuff and then some answers that we’d all try to pick apart. At the same time, I also liked the character backgrounds and now I’m really enjoying the novella.

It can be very tough to remember sometimes, but I think it just comes down to whether or not you feel like they’re making the game better. Not necessarily for you or for me, but just improving the product, making it more attractive to more players, etc. I believe that’s always their goal; inclusion, and while sometimes, that net they cast out might not catch you or me or the casual guy or the FGC pro, sometimes it absolutely does and that’s really all I can ask for in a game that I’ve already enjoyed so much, so far.

1 Like

My point was ANY of those background characters could be a better choice than a lame SharkMan

@lago407

You make another good point. I think I kinda gotten use to that same sort of deal lol. Sometimes I guess if you let yourself ge to cushy it’s easy to get spoiled.

@BblackorchidD a not so unreasonable point at that.

1 Like