I am disapointed with Season 3

@JEFFRON27

I can see why you’d be worried about that. KI would never even get its name mentioned because of it. Its a pitty too. Too many guest characters would not expand the roster by much.

Now, looking at things in appoint of view.

People are going to be disappointed with the franchise. I would reply to you and @CrimsonScorch88 about the guests controversy among the community, but this is not the thread for it.

I knew that already, I guess it just didn’t cross my mind as I was typing the response. Still, I’d argue the franchise really gained popularity in the Solid series, though I could be wrong.

[quote=“JEFFRON27, post:41, topic:12081”]
I’d hate gor KI to be “dat game with Joanna Dark”
[/quote]So you’d rather it be unknown entirely? Guest characters get people to notice the game.[quote=“JEFFRON27, post:41, topic:12081”]
just take away slots for characters that add something to KI’s universe
[/quote]True…

[quote=“JEFFRON27, post:41, topic:12081”]
AND game play.
[/quote]…and false. All the guest characters bring new and unique playstyles to the game.

Here’s another thing: a lot of people against guest characters argue that people who get into the game because of them won’t stick around long enough to make a difference. That could happen or it could not, but I believe that getting interested in the fighting game genre all depends on your tastes, not the player base you come from. I was a shooter fan until I got into fighting games 4 years ago out of sheer curiosity.

he wasn’t saying the game should be unknown. He just wants KI to be remembered without the need of guests. You don’t want the series to be too dependent on guests either and it shouldn’t

@SonicDolphin117

Understandable since MG was more or less familiar for the impact it had on the PS1 era and beyond.

I’d rather KI be known for the characters it has. And yes sure people notice, but what then? what wuld those people who pick the game up because “it has Joanna Dark in it” how do we know they’ll actually like the game enough to continue playing it? how do we know they’ll support future games? That’s an even bigger gamble to me than it would be introducing what you have on hand. I’d hate to bring up a dead horse, but I think advertisements like on T.V. for example is one way to get some attention. Only issue is money. But that’s only one way t do it.

Another way is you simply introducing it to your friends or people you know. And while that is a gamble in of itelf. If they don’t like the gameplay they won’t be playing it wheter you stuff a guest in there or not.

Also I disagree with the gameplay aspect because I think making a character like Jonna Dark for KI is simple beyond aestics. Just make her a secret agent, give her some weapons like guns and such, and some accessories that make her similar to the character and boom your done. Hell the Arbiter could easily be replaced by another character of a different alein species that exists only in KI’s universe.

Rash I admit is tricky because outside the whacky toon like personality which I consider a part of his aesthetic, the game play aspect can be kept. Only real issue though the character’s animations will be different and vary depending on what it is.

I’d rather KI be remembered for it’s original native KI cast (old and new) not because Jonna Dark or the Arby or Raam were in it.

Addijng to your other post: You did so because of curiousity, did you require a guest character to get interested? Personally just because Raam is playable doesn’t mean I’m gonna go to the store and pick up the latest Gears of War. Rash had no point for me in playing Battletoads because one thing I like aside from fighting games is Coop beat-em ups and I have played a Battletoads game before I even knew we’d get a new KI.

When I am curious about a game, I just look at the roster first of all, and the game play, if I see something of interest I’ll play it. And no I won’t be looking for a guest character. I’ll be looking at what it’s original roster has for me.

And I’ve been a fan of the Halo series since I first picked up Halo3, it was my first 360 game. But Raam being in KI isn’t going to make me wanna play Gears. I admit he was an interesting edition but I think he more or less is taking up slots for an original character that could have his game play style to begin with.

Guests only serve for attention. Beyond that, they are replaceable.

1 Like

To be honest, like 5 of my friends picked up KI for Rash, Arbiter and General RAAM. Imagine how many other people made the same decision.

5 Likes

Do your freinds ever plan on playing KI more? do they even plan on supporting a future game?

Yes they do. They said they are amazed at how well IG made characters from a completely unrelated series, and translate it well in a fighting game. They are fans of IG. One, is a newcomer to fighting games too.

2 Likes

I see. Well that’s good to know at least. Even so, I wonder how many more picked the game up cause of the guests then ditched it later on. I do admit though your experience has added some optimism to that regard for me. Though that doesn’t mean I’ll accept a guest with open arm. As I’d still rather a season full of original KI characters.

For all we know your friends could of only made up the small percentage that actually stuck with KI. I wonder though, did they bother trying out the others?

i didnt know sonic became nintendo, i swear I thought sonic was sega… same with final fantasy VII thought that was square enix, when did they make final fantasy VII for a ninteno system, crossed my mind for a bit.

1 Like

You say this as if people that play the game for the original characters will never drop it and will always support the series. There’s plenty of people that would go “oh, this Fulgore character looks pretty cool” and then they play the game once and never pick it up again.

I just have a more difficult time trusting guests being viable as main stays. Though @TheNinjaOstrich already gave me some small degree of optimism about it. Though I personally would rather have as little guests as possible. Because outside of guests, KI’s got a rich and unique roster, better than any fighting game, and the gameplay and soundtrack are just wonderful in general. I’d rather KI be known for that, much rather than the fact that “Guest from unrelated franchise” was in it.

Others as in other characters?

Two have a Rash & Jago main, one has a Kan-Ra and a Arbiter, one has switched from the guests and become a Saberwulf main, and the last one is trying out everyone, but I see him leaning toward RAAM & Cinder.

I hope other people will have a similar habit with your freinds’ examples! but that’s just crossing my fingers. Tell em I said “Welcome to Killer Instinct”

Will do. Don’t worry. Just because we have Guest Characters, doesn’t mean the end of the game or new characters. Sometimes, it’s a guest character can actually bring tons of new players in to have fun. :slight_smile:

True but it would leave a guy like me wondering what kind of cool unique KI universe character could of taken that slot that was filled? Usually my mind goes to those places when a guest that shows up.

Think about it like this. Too much lore from new characters and such can “Oversaturate” a game with story, to where it becomes hard to follow, because for every new character that comes in, has to b connected to the lore somehow. Too many connections can be a bit overwhelming to someone who is trying to follow a story.

Not to say it can’t be done because it has, and done very well, but it’s something to think about.

For someone like me, Fighting game stories are not hard to follow. EXCEPT BLAZEBLUE AND GUILTYGEAR…But I never played those for the story anyway. Even if that was the case I only pay attention to the characters who interested me enough to learn their back stories like Arakune.

Even something as simple as Arcade ending fighting games. I just see what happens the next time around, and which ever ending is canon is, and which isn’t canon isn’t.

For example Cinder’s story he burns Sadira to a crisp. Much as that tickles me her story shows she’s actually left ARIA’s team after an experience with Hisako (according to what I read from the devs) so Cinder killing Sadira isn’t true. Basically I’m not worried about over-saturation sometimes. Since well I’m more worried about over-saturation of unrelated characters, individuals who’s only purpose is to attract people but nothing else beyond that, or characters from another franchise that really outside of attracting people doesn’t do much else.

Now I’ll give you this: while KI having more guests is still an idea I’m not fond of. At least they are game characters. I mean you won’t ever see them appear on a top 10 KI character list from me, but it’s better than effing MKX which is practically a sellout for featuring so many horror movie villains. I absolutley despise that cainsaw weilding ■■■■■■■ and honestly the only thing good about him, and Jason, is killing them with fatalities, but even so. That will stray off topic.

while ideally I’d like the next season to not have guests if we get at max only one more it may not be so bad. Hopefully we don’t get more than one if next season happens.

Will I leave KI if that happens? nah becaue I’ve lovedKI ever since my childhood I wouldn’t leave it for that, but at worst you can probably expect me to get bitter about it. lol

Personally I feel like since Arby and RAAM got invovled in the game I think the respective devs of those games should put something KI related for it. I may actually pick up and play Halo5 again just to wear some Fulgore themed armor. Might just make up for no split-screen and no playable elites.

2 Likes

Halo 5 added an armor set called cinder recently so I’m not sure if it’s slight nod to KIs cinder or not.

How does it look? cause if it looks nothing like Cinder in some way it may not be related to KI at all.