How would you rebalance S1 & S2 characters before season 3?

She is an air juggler, giving her a recapture would be too much. Unless it nerfed her damage across the board by 20% then she can have a recapture.

Of the top 5 characters in the game, Iā€™d say 4 of them hail from season 1. S1 characters in general are fine. Glacius liquidize moves plenty far already, Orchid grenade pressure is very nasty, and Thunder is, IMO, one of the most consistently underrated characters in the game. And no, Sadira does not need a recapture. Would it be cool? Yeah, it probably would be, but it isnā€™t at all necessary to make her viable. Sheā€™s very, very strong as is.

TJā€™s autobarrage I think is in a good place right now, and Iā€™d disagree that it feels ā€œseparateā€. It locks in, which I guess is what you mean, but all in all I think itā€™s pretty cohesive, and advantage enders are pretty underutilized in my opinion. The ā€œjuke doublesā€ you mentioned seem to already exist in the form of Hisakoā€™s wind-up doubles, so I wouldnā€™t be in favor of doubling up on that mechanic.

If you were going to remove fired up, I find it interesting that the one thing youā€™d let remain is the pillar after fireflash. That seems like a manifestly terrible idea to me. Cinder already gets away with far too many yolo reversals and reversal->reversal shenanigans - the last thing Iā€™d want to see is the permanent introduction of a mostly-safe invincible DP for him to abuse.

As to the question of whether we would like IG to go back and revamp or ā€œtouch upā€ certain characters and animations, I personally am in the ā€œfirmly againstā€ camp on that. I would much rather they spend their time developing new kick-ā– ā– ā–  characters and mechanics, than going back and rehashing something thatā€™s already been done and that I have no issues with. Omen is a good example: heā€™s a free bonus character who was designed expressly to fill a new character niche while minimizing developer effort so that they could spend more time on later characters. Going back and adding all this new stuff to him defeats the whole purpose of why they did him the way they did. Yes, he has recycled animations. He still plays nothing like Jago or Wulf. He gave them a way to make a brand-new character and archetype without having to invest a tremendous amount of time and energy, and in my eyes heā€™s an unmitigated success story. Donā€™t spend time now going back and making a bunch of aesthetic changes that donā€™t mean anything (or change a bunch of his core mechanics and make him a new character) - just make a new character. I want the team to spend their time doing THAT. I see no reason to spend valuable developer time going back and fixing things that arenā€™t broken in the first place.

4 Likes

Agreed! This guy knows whats going one!

Of course I would love to see visual improvements. In a lot characters. Visual improvements always are wellcome. In particular, I would change a lot of things of Omen, about design and visuals, not gameplay.

But the OP was about rebalancing, not redesigning :stuck_out_tongue:

If we are talking Visual improvements, can we get a KI2 Retro for Fulgore? =)

I actually think the club should have the ability to convert into a chunk and allow Aganos to convert a chunk into a club. That way the club actually has other uses besides hitting things.

Iā€™d keep everyone mostly the same for seasons 1 and 2. the only thing I think Iā€™d chane is just increase Fulgoreā€™s damage by 3%

IGā€™s idea of tweaking Season 1 characters was to compensate for some of the abilities incoming with Season 2 characters. Depending on what kind of shenanigans Season 3 characters bring to the table will depend on who/what they tweak from Seasons 1 and 2. Personally I think Season 3 should conform to what we already have and not add anything that drastically changes the game. But some may disagree. That will probably be the toughest part of making Season 3.

I am certain IG has been paying close attention to the way Season 2 is settling in. I find KI to be a pretty darn balanced game with a few bad matchups but nobody being utter trash. Glacius would probably get the most attention from Season 1 (IMO).

Sadira: Would like to see the KV meter extended a bit and have more options for areal attacks, such as air autos. A few frame tweaks would be nice as well.

Sabrewulf: Change the inputs for Eclipse from ā€œD/Uā€ to a fireball motion. While the Down/Up inputs are certainly easy, I find that it sometimes comes out during combos when I wasnā€™t going for it. I think the standard fireball motion for this move, would make its execution less accidental and more purposeful, especially when starting a combo in a crouching position.

Cinder: Lose the Pryobombs, except when in Instinct. The greater majority of the Cinderā€™s I play, do nothing but stand on the opposite side of the screen and chunk them. Cinder is already a walking projectile and doesnā€™t really need them.

Orchid: slight damage nerfā€¦ and fix her hair. :stuck_out_tongue:

Jago: nothing

Hisako: Damage nerf and add more KV after her wall splat reset.

Thunder: Iā€™d like to see Shammanish become an anti-air grapple, like Jax.

Riptor: Fix a glitch that doesnā€™t allow Sadira to perform a light HP manual after a Medium Linker. This is the only character this happens on. Also reduce the hit stun after her ram.

TJ Combo: Slightly reduce damage from completed Auto Barrage. Reduce hitstun after blocking his fist charge.

Youā€™re looking at it from a viability standpoint and while thatā€™s certainly part of the equation, I donā€™t believe that itā€™s the one and only thing that should be considered. I feel like season 2 characters have a lot more going on, which then tend to be counterbalanced by doing less damage. Not all of them, but certainly some of them. Still, all of them seem to have enough going on to the point where many season one characters seem rather plain in comparison and I think that can be changed without sacrificing a lot (or much of anything really) when it comes to new content for season 3 (in terms of developer time).

Again, if it would be cool, then why not figure out a way to work it in? Iā€™m not saying do a million things for every character, but if it would make a character better, then why not try a few things here and there? If it requires nerfing her damage, then so be it. Kan Ra and Cinder have to do gigantic combos to get the damage that some season one characters can do in less than half the hits.

The recapture I was talking about was rather context sensitive too and wouldnā€™t result in massive combos for huge damage regardless. I just think that sheā€™s the ā€œair characterā€ of the game, yet other characters in sesason 2 like TJ and Cinder seem to have just as much, if not more stuff going on in the air as she has and I tend to think that could be remedied to positive results.

I donā€™t see how it can be cohesive if it locks you in. Youā€™re either doing an autobarrage combo which leads to itā€™s own specific enders or youā€™re not, which leads to completely separate ender opportunities in what Iā€™d call his more ā€œregularā€ move list.

Every other characterā€™s combo trait feels more cohesive than that (IMO) because theyā€™re meant to be traits that they have while doing any of their combos, not just one specific, separate combo. Thatā€™s just my take on it though.

The juke doubles I was talking about are probably similar to what Hisakoā€™s does though. I think youā€™re right on that. I was just trying to think of something off the top of my head and thought itā€™d fit more with his boxerā€™s style, but I agree the end result is the same.

Yeah, youā€™re absolutely right. No question about that. In that case, either they find a way to make it less safe or simply limit it to the shadow version only, changing that move from an ender to an opener/linker. I was more just trying to say that this is a move that should be saved (in some fashion) while getting rid of fired up, but I agree that giving him the pillar permanently as a regular move would be too much.

Firmly against? Wow. I guess I didnā€™t expect anyone to be firmly against touching up characters and animations. Well, obviously I disagree, which is fine. You seem to think that itā€™s an either/or scenario and I donā€™t believe that has to be the case. They were able to rebalance season one characters prior to season two in what appeared to be a rather limited amount of time and I donā€™t think that hurt their ability to do anything as far as creating new, awesome characters and mechanics for season 2.

So he was free and required minimal developer effort, so he should remain as he is? I donā€™t quite understand that logic. The purpose at the time was to create a character that would allow them to spend more time on the remaining characters in the season and he served that purpose. How would it defeat anything to go back now, when they presumably have more time to do so, and rework him when thereā€™s more than a little fan sentiment indicating that people would like to see that happen to begin with?

Iā€™m not saying the people are always right and they should always do what people say. Iā€™m just saying that thereā€™s a rather known opinion about the character, regardless of what he was meant to be originally and what purpose he was meant to serve. He, like anything else in this game, can always be improved upon.

Yeah, this pretty much sums up why we disagree and thatā€™s obviously okay. Different strokes for different folks and all that. I certainly donā€™t begrudge you for having an opinion thatā€™s different than mine, so itā€™s all good as far as Iā€™m concerned.

You seem to look at things from a functional standpoint only, whether something works or is broken, whether something is specifically needed or if itā€™s fine as is and thatā€™s definitely a valid way to look at things.

I think that the game, in itā€™s beta status, can always be improved upon. When I write, I tend to go back and revise a good deal since itā€™s not done until itā€™s all completely done. I just canā€™t look at it through a utilitarian or minimalist lens.

I believe that many parts of the game can be made better, even the parts that arenā€™t broken, and I donā€™t think that this requires an exorbitant amount of developer time needed that could go to making new content to go elsewhere because Iā€™ve seen what they can do with a rebalance prior to season 2 in a small amount of time. To be clear: I donā€™t want them to have to sacrifice anything from season 3, but in as far as Iā€™m proposed and what other are talking about, I really donā€™t think theyā€™d have to.

Iā€™ve also mentioned stuff Iā€™d like to see happen with the UI and other things along those lines that might seem somewhat superfluous in terms of a functional standpoint, but would certainly add to the gameā€™s overall presentation, which I feel is somewhat important.

Given when season 3 is coming out, Iā€™d say that they have a good deal more time this go around to make some fun things happen in a lot of areas without sacrificing anything in terms of season 3 content. If youā€™d rather they just went straight forward in to season 3 and ignored anything thatā€™s happened prior, which seems to be the vibe Iā€™m getting from you, then thatā€™s cool. Totally understandable.

I have a few requests, though some of them will be more silly than others.
-Make Cinderā€™s fake out better properties. If itā€™s supposed to be used to bait out attacks to be punished, itā€™d be nice if I didnā€™t get hit by that attack.
-Fulgore could use a tad bit more damage, but my biggest hope would be that he gets meter easier. Thinking that certain moves could end in the charge and get him a pip, like the fireball ender or his throw. That or his speed up the spinny thing.
-Itā€™d be nice to make Sadiraā€™s air combos more useful, especially since theyā€™re breakable now. As it stands they do so little damage theyā€™re mostly decorative. Iā€™d ask for a recapture or some more powerful combo tools, like air autos, air linkers, and aerial enders.

Just a few ideas I had, for better or worse.

1 Like

Yeah, I think the fact that her air combos are now breakable makes up for the idea of giving her a recapture. As I said in an earlier post, Iā€™d want it to be restrictive. Like maybe not give her the chance to knock them up in to the air, hit a few times, down the ground to recapture and then continue on with a big full combo, but maybe at least allow for a recapture down to the ground for an ender only? I donā€™t think thatā€™d be so bad.

I just think that she needs more to do in the air to begin with. I mean, thatā€™s supposed to be her ā€œthing.ā€ Yet TJ, Cinder and a few other characters seem to be just as adept in the air, even without an air ender that she has. I think itā€™d be cool to give her a sort of contextual special move that changed depending on the first hit auto you did in midair (as I said above). Thatā€™d at least give her plenty to do in the air while not being grossly overpowered.

I also agree with you on Cinderā€™s fake. It would almost be nice if it were a fake and then a back step or something along those lines. Something that at least gets you out of the opponents immediate vicinity so that it provides some sort of advantage beyond being a bait attempt in and of itself.

For Fulgore, I donā€™t know if heā€™d be a better character with more damage alone. I mean heā€™d be harder to fight, sure, but I think the idea of gaining pips off of certain moves, like maybe if you press forward and hold FP for a moment, Fulgore delays and then does the forward spin move, but he only gets a pip if he makes contact with the opponent (even if they block). So he couldnā€™t just sit at distance, do the move, get a pip, etc. Thereā€™d actually have to be some danger involved on his part.

Iā€™d also like to see him get a pip off of throws. Thatā€™d be nice. Again, heā€™s in close with the opponent and heā€™s being rewarded for doing something in close. That makes sense to me.

Good ideas man!

Everything is fine except for TJ Combo, those massive nerfs from a couple of updates ago were unnecessary. He became incredibly restrictive, there isnā€™t much creativity to pull off with him and he can barely make any long combos since his KV meter fills up too fast.

Bring back TJ Combo

As you say, to a certain extent our disagreement stems from fundamental differences about how we think the team should approach the game and its development. Accordingly, Iā€™ll try to keep my response brief - and then Iā€™ll apologize in advance, because brevity is not one of my gifts :stuck_out_tongue:

In general, I think there are three things that matter when designing a character. (1) Are they interesting? (2) Are they fun? (3) Are they viable? These are the key items that must be taken into consideration when designing a character. (1) speaks to design, aesthetics, playstyle, and lore. (2) speaks to whether or not playstyle is enjoyable, and (3) speaks to whether or not Iā€™m destined to get my ā– ā– ā–  kicked when I take this character into the wild. When the answer to all three of these questions is a resounding ā€œyesā€, then I believe the team has done itā€™s job and designed a great addition to the cast.

The Season 1 characters in my opinion all fit that bill. They are unique, they are fun to play, and they remain viable. But they largely were all those things in season 1 as well. To my mind the additions they all got at the start of S2 were, for the most part, mostly centered around question 3. With the exception of Fulgore (who I think had quite a bit of (2) in his redesign, particularly for newer or less-skilled players), I felt most of the S2 additions to the S1 cast were about viability, particularly within the new ecosystem of changes that came with S2. Glacius didnā€™t get liquidize because it looked cool - he got it because he was getting outzoned to all hell anyway and would have gotten destroyed by Maya daggers without it. Orchid got bombs because she relies heavily on controlling space, but largely had no way to manage that space amidst KIā€™s shenanigans. She also needed a way to apply pressure that wouldnā€™t get her absolutely destroyed if someone blocked it. Spinal needed better ways to manage the fight before he got instinct, Wulfā€™s backdash was pure ridiculousness, etc. A little bit of (1) and (2) necessarily bleeds into these viability changes (because hey, these things are cool and fun to use), but I feel their primary purpose for the most part was to ensure good fights.

Your argument seems to some extent to be ā€œit would be so cool ifā€¦ā€ Thatā€™s a valid enough take on it as far as it goes, but think you miss the mark in that there genuinely is a market for simple and straightforward characters. Your rationale is that S2 has all these fancy options, so S1 characters should have some fancy options of their own. But S1 is the solid core of the game - they arenā€™t supposed so have super fancy options. Their archetypes are meant to be on the tamer and more straightforward side. A lot of people like this archetype, and actively disliked the focus S2 put on giving characters a tool for every occasion. I was one of them - early in the season I talked a lot about how I disliked that IG seemed to have a tendency to throw the kitchen sink at their characters in terms of movesets. Why did everyone have a command grab? Why does Kan-Ra have three different versions of the bloody thing? Why can half the S2 cast cross a full screen in under a second? A lot of players dont enjoy the somewhat shenanigansy characters of S2; a lot of players donā€™t like their resource dependency or their reliance on a treasure chest of moves. The simplicity of the S1 cast speaks to these types of players, and their wishes and preferences should also be taken into account.

Also, as a practical matter each of these changes or updates that you prefer does have a measurable affect on character viability and balance. Changing a moveset or playstyle necessarily changes the balance of a character. Fulgore had to have his damage nerfed because his S2 mixup potential was insane combined with his damage output, Orchid had to have her damage ender slightly reduced due to her newfound pressure options, Wulf had to have his instinct damage tweaked due to the potency of his feral cancels, etc. You stated that you donā€™t think adding new moves or rebalancing S1 characters takes all that much time, but IG was rebalancing them for months after they released, and lest we forget, Season 2 only launched with 2 characters - who themselves had to be rebalanced for months after their release. Iā€™m not a game developer, but Iā€™m pretty sure that all the rebalancing they did throughout S2 took up a significant amount of the developersā€™ time. I think you are seriously underestimating the amount of time and energy that goes into making character changes and then trying to make sure that those changes make sense and donā€™t throw the gameā€™s balance out of whack. The character-a-month flow of content worked in that characters came out on time, but every patch also came with a hefty list of bug fixes and balancing changes. They have these characters in a good place now - Iā€™d like to take my pound of flesh and let the devs focus 100% on awesome new content, and getting that content right before it gets to us. I was generally ok with the state of the game throughout S2, but a lot of other players felt like it was a mess of bugs and balancing issues. I see no compelling reason to mess with what is currently a very balanced game and give MS/IG even more work to do for S3. Let them focus on S3, giving us as much content as possible in the best form that they can manage. Like it or not, any work outside that goal is a tradeoff in terms of manpower and hours. That tradeoff is probably worth it in some areas - but I donā€™t think tweaking S1 characters in unneeded ways is one of them.

Also, as someone who mains a S1 character, I donā€™t particlarly feel like learning and incorporating some new random tool into my gameplay. Giving Sadira a recapture would probably mean she loses damage - I like my damage where it is right now. :smile: So she canā€™t convert off any stray air hit? She still gets good damage off juggles, and she has a LOT of opportunities to juggle.

1 Like

Cinderā€™s fakeout is already safe after LP LP LP target combo. It canā€™t be safe in other situations (target combos ending in MP, for instance) or else the move would be way too good. But really, itā€™s a way for him to transition out of LP LP LP, which is his best string, into a real mixup because everything else is just a block string for the most part.

On the topic of Sadira, a recapture is not a good idea, because it would let her cash out damage from air juggles without having meter. Thatā€™s a very intentional balance decision and I donā€™t think itā€™s wise for her to have. And I donā€™t think air doubles/air linkers are on the table either (unless theyā€™re for a new S3 character), because right up front, without talking about the advantages/drawbacks of such a system, the cost of changing the engine to include those would be too high, I think. If theyā€™re gonna change the engine for that, it will be for a brand new character.

slightly buff Fulgoreā€™s damae to 3% that is all

TJ Was always there, watch ProDeath. Everyone relied so heavily on his braindead Auto Barrage any str manual off any str linker that they never tried to learn good tech with him. His comboā€™s were so random that you could button mash your way to a level 4 ender and battery for 45% and then just rinse repeat.

Haha, donā€™t worry about that man. I fail at that almost every time and I donā€™t mind reading, so feel free to get it all out there. :grin:

And I agree with these three things as youā€™ve laid them out. However, in a game thatā€™s in this sort of ā€œperma-betaā€ stage, I look at everything and add a 4th step to my analysis: Could this be improved upon?

This is especially necessary (to me) when you have a second season thatā€™s really rather different than the first one. You talk about kitchen sink characters later on and I agree, some of them could stand to be toned down a bit. I already mentioned one aspect as it pertains to Cinder specifically.

But I also look at the game as a whole, cohesive unit, and when see characters with perhaps too much going on at one end of the spectrum, itā€™s hard not to look at the other end of the spectrum and see characters that could stand to have more.

I mean, we look at other aspects of the game and we do this all the time. Well, many of us do anyways. Maybe not allā€¦ But the UI for example. The UI was completely overhauled for season two and it wouldnā€™t shock me if they overhauled large portions of it again. Itā€™s not just from a functional standpoint either. There are parts of it that could stand to be improved upon from a purely aesthetic standpoint.

Iā€™ll certainly agree with this. The changes before were about viability to a large extent. So while youā€™re spot on there when it comes to why they did this in the first place, it still doesnā€™t change the fact that theyā€™re willing to go back and make changes, regardless of the motivation for making those changes.

Now, we might disagree as to the circumstances under which making such changes are acceptable, but to me, if the game is in perma-beta and theyā€™ve done it before, then why not look through whatā€™s completed and say ā€œcan we make that better?ā€ and run a fine toothed comb through it, so to speak.

Maybe weā€™re getting our signals crossed then, if thatā€™s what you think my sole motivation is here. Itā€™s not just a matter of ā€œwouldnā€™t it be cool if.ā€ Yes, freshening up some of the older characters that tend to lack some of the flash that later season one or most season two characters have is part of it, but Iā€™m also talking about closing the gap in the spectrum between the less flashy, simpler characters and the kitchen sink characters. Part of that is cohesion between seasons, part of that is general game cohesion and part of that is simply trying to put forward the best versions of characters possible and not being satisfied with something simply because itā€™s completed already.

Iā€™ve never written anything and said ā€œthatā€™s doneā€ and never looked at it again. Doesnā€™t matter if itā€™s a tweet or a novel. If it can be improved upon, or if I think of something later that might punch it up a bit, I see no reason not to do so. Thatā€™s just how I tend to approach things. Yes, thereā€™s always the chance that ā€œimprovingā€ something could have disastrous, unintended consequences, but thatā€™s a chance Iā€™m willing to take.

I donā€™t really believe this. The gameplay for all seasons is the core of the game, not just season one. The fact that DH made season one without super fancy options doesnā€™t mean thatā€™s the vision for the whole game or what IGā€™s trying to do.

I understand and respect the fact that you prefer season oneā€™s approach. Really, I do. Thatā€™s why I think that things can be done to season one characters without turning them in to kitchen sink characters. I think that things can be added to their repertoires without undermining what theyā€™re supposed to be and how theyā€™re supposed to function.

You mentioned that everyone has a command grab. Doesnā€™t that kinda take away from Thunder being ā€œthe grapplerā€ in the game? Couldnā€™t he use another throw, even if it accomplishes what his other throw does, just for simple varietyā€™s sake? Maybe instead of simply doing an a stomp down to the ground of of Sammamish, he does a type of air throw that has the same properties as the stomp?

Again, Iā€™m not looking to change him or what he does. Iā€™m not saying give him a teleport move or whatever, since I know that would completely nullify his major weakness and make him grossly OP.

Others have said that giving Sadira a recapture would be too much for her. Thatā€™s fine. I still like the idea as I proposed it within the strict guidelines that I laid out, but Iā€™m not immovable on anything here. Iā€™m just throwing out ideas, which was more or less the intention of this thread. If people feel that every character is fine and nothing should change once itā€™s been done, thatā€™s okay too. I just tend to think that something great can be made even better, and was looking to others imaginations for how that might look.

You might be right. With the roster still growing in size, Iā€™m sure itā€™s much harder to balance the game than it was sayā€¦ Near the beginning of season one. But I do think that balancing is a fluid process that will be done in season 3 regardless. Does throwing more variables (aka more changes for older characters) in to the mix make that a more difficult job? Iā€™m sure it would and Iā€™m not trying to belittle that process.

My whole point was to try and find ways to augment what older characters already do and find ways to streamline the movesets for some of the newer, more kitchen-sink type characters. Iā€™m not trying to drastically change what any character can do or what theyā€™re meant to be. So while I realize that even in requesting this kind of alteration, it would still require a good deal of testing, balancing, and overall development time. Believe me, I have no illusions about that fact. Itā€™s more that I still believe itā€™s a worthwhile endeavor, and that in requesting changes that are still consistent with the characters intended move sets, I believe that this can be done without quite a much of a headache as you seem to think it would cause. Iā€™m not a developer either, so you may be completely right in that itā€™s too much time and too much effort. Doesnā€™t mean that I donā€™t still want to see that effort put in either prior to season 3, during season 3 or at some point after season 3.

If the game isnā€™t a final, pressed disc that they have no plans to alter in the future, and itā€™s a ā€œliving platformā€ as was described by Ken Lobb initially, then I say keep improving anything that can be improved upon. If it can be better balanced, do so. If you can add some cool effects to a move that make it look better without changing what it does or its hit boxes? Great. If a character is supposed to specialize in a certain skill set or fighting style and a move can be put in that doesnā€™t throw them out of balance with any of the other characters? That sounds good to me as well.

Yeah, I definitely get the ā€œseason one resistanceā€ vibe from you. :smile: Itā€™s cool man. I respect what youā€™re saying here. You like season one the way it is and youā€™ve outlined a really good argument for why you prefer things the way that you do.

I saw a lot of similar points about season one, from the UI to the character changes prior to season 2. IG is never going to please everyone, of course. I just think that they can improve upon season 1 in very specific ways where it gives me more of the flash, variety and freshness that Iā€™m looking for without destroying that which you currently look to as the core of the game. I believe that could be done and that would be my goal with what Iā€™d like for them to do.

If I made it seem as though I want them to run roughshod over season 1 and tear it apart and rebuild it in their image, that certainly was not my intent. If you donā€™t think that they can give us both what we want, or you think that giving me what I want automatically means that you get jobbed in the deal, then I get that apprehension. But from a theoretical perspective, Iā€™d like to think that we can both get the KI game that matches what we think it should be with what Iā€™m talking about here.

What if her recapture was only available if she started a combo on the ground (or popped the opponent up in to the air from the ground) and the recapture move had to be done right away, dropping the opponent to the ground and pulling Sadira down for recapture with a full KV meter (no matter what) and her only option was a specific ender that wouldnā€™t allow her to follow up for more damage in air?

In other words, put so many restrictions on it as far as when it can be used and what damage the ender cashes out that itā€™s simply an option to use in air from a ground to air combo and not a massive new element added to her repertoire. Would that be better, or am I still totally off base here?

Would you like to see Sadira get anything, either along the lines of the other things that I proposed for her in my post above or just in general? Stuff that could help her be more of ā€œthe airā€ character compared to TJ, Cinder and others that also seem to be quite capable in air as well?

Mind you, Iā€™m not asking you if you think her air game is viable or if she ā€œneedsā€ anything to be more viable. Iā€™m not asking from a basic utility standpoint, because I know sheā€™s viable, obviously. Iā€™m just asking if thereā€™s anything youā€™d do to freshen her up a little bit? Maybe give her a little more flash or style?

Or maybe help her do what she does a little more without breaking what sheā€™s supposed to do to begin with or making her OP? Do you think thatā€™s possible, and if so, what would some of those changes look like? Just curious.

I appreciate your willingness to read and engage with my walls of text. :slight_smile: As weā€™ve both agreed at this point our issues stem from fundamentally different (but reasonable) approaches to things, Iā€™ll only address a few items.

I appreciate that you think my arguments were reasonable, but I think you may have slightly misjudged me. My Sadira comment was laced with more than a hint of flippancy. Sheā€™s still technically my main, but I play Hisako almost as much if not more these days, and my tertiary character is ARIA. Iā€™ve actually tended to be one of the stronger proponents of S2, at least once Iā€™d gotten some time to settle into IGā€™s flow (and when they made it clear they were intent on toning down some of the more blatant crap their characters could pull coughoriginalMayacough). Iā€™m actually ok with their kitchen sink characters for the most part, and I donā€™t mind that almost all their characters had recaptures or that half of them had special meters and mechanics. Itā€™s cool, because each of these very unique and interesting characters speaks to a different kind of player whoā€™s looking for a different thing. Itā€™s not that I think S1 is perfect and shouldnā€™t be changed, and itā€™s not that I think S2 characters do too much and need to be streamlined - itā€™s that I think both styles speak to different audiences and I think the variation between seasons allows each type of player to find something he likes. My arguments about not changing things werenā€™t so much for myself, but for those players who really do prefer the more straightforward nature of S1, and who train and like to be able to know exactly what theyā€™re getting with their chosen character without having to wait for the other shoe to drop, so to speak.

With regards to making the simple ā€œflashā€ tweaks you mentioned, itā€™s not that Iā€™m opposed to the team touching things up or making them cooler, itā€™s just that in a world of finite time and competing resources I would prefer that the devs instead spend their energy making new kick-ā– ā– ā–  characters and content. Sure, they could add a cool looking air throw for Thunder that somehow functions exactly like skyfall - but Iā€™d rather they take that time to give some new character some variation on that that doesnā€™t function exactly like skyfall, and incorporates some awesome new twist on things. I want them to take the time they could spend touching up Omen (whose design I actually like) designing a completely new character with an engaging backstory and an awesome moveset. Itā€™s not that I think the previous seasons canā€™t be made better - itā€™s that I want the developers to devote their time and energy making new content and making it the very best it can be. Sure, revamp the UI - but do it for S3, not to simply go back and tweak what we already have. Thereā€™s no need to make S1 characters more flashy or S2 characters somehow simpler - just make S3 characters fill the happy medium. And then when S4 comes, sprinkling in characters from all over the spectrum. Make sure existing content is balanced, fun, and varied, and once that is accomplished go on to making brand new content for us to enjoy. Thatā€™s more of where Iā€™m coming from.

On the above (which I know wasnā€™t directed at me), Iā€™d say that to a certain extent we all have to collectively get over the idea that Sadira rules the air. She certainly did in S1, but with the advent of Omen and Cinder that supremacy is no longer complete. The thing is, though, is thatā€™s ok. No ā€œtweakā€ to Sadiraā€™s air game will change the fact that Cinder does 20-hit aerial juggles, no recapture (that wouldnā€™t be completely broken) will negate the fact that TJā€™s tremor can pluck nearly any jump from the sky with the right read. No small, flashy addition will mean that Omen canā€™t do some absolutely disgusting setups with his air dash and a bar of meter. But again, thatā€™s ok. Sadira is disgusting in the air, sheā€™s still nearly impossible to block in instinct, and she still has a pretty darn good aerial conversion ability. She was conceived as an aerial dominance character - that doesnā€™t mean that no one can ever match or exceed her in aspects of that as the game continues. Itā€™s fine that there are other characters crowding her skies - so long as they are all unique and viable in their own ways itā€™s all good.