How would you improve KI's gameplay going forward?

YOU GET A DP! YOU GET A DP!
#EVERYONE’S CHARACTER GETS A DEE PEEEEEEE!
Already got a DP?
#Well now you get TWO!

Kappa

3 Likes

They can make it so KV meter fills up faster then.

Manuals were good enough to reward them. I feel the devs are just trying to get rid of players who “aren’t good enough”.

The basic stuff in SF is fun though (get in, punch, kick, special = 3 or 4 hit combo) but the advanced stuff is just not very fun to me.

Wrong. Combo assist and easy to use characters exist. Play GG, blazblue, or mk, games which needs insane time in practice to optimise everything. I never needed to practice any of ki combos to pull off anything i do.

So combos are shorter, so less damaging, so guessing is better since the penalty for failing is small

You want a totally different game. Its so similar to the current game (or any past season) than an egg to a nut

2 Likes

I honestly don’t even like that. I feel like I’m poking until my opponent makes a mistake. And by the time I realized I open him up, my opponent either:

1. Recovered so fast that I can’t react to combo after the hit confirm (partially do to the input delay and netcode being @ss)

2. Is pushed back so far that I can’t even do anything except get another jab in

That wouldn’t change anything. Even if the Kv bar was shortened by half the optimum strategy would still be use mostly heavy to force a break(if you don’t break you will take max damage every time) using up meter until there is none left. Open you up again(which would be easy since the defender has no meter) then go for max heavy damage. The only difference is repetition. You will simply have to repeat this same cycle over again not only slowing down the game but heavily reducing variation in the combo structure. After all what’s the point in using anything but heavy if your trying to literally take away their meter by forcing them to break.

1 Like

No offense but it sounds like you just simply dislike better players rather than the mechanics in either game themselves.

4 Likes

@VladKravich What you are saying is, “Better players than me beat me. I like this game but only when I win. I want to remove stuff that allows better players to beat me so I can win.” Here is the thing. They win because they have more skill than you. You can’t nerf that. A good player will always win. You just want KI to change so you can win. Here is the thing though. No matter what changes are made, the better player will always destroy you. Even in a simple game like Divekick, the better player will win.

4 Likes

No because before staggers and flipouts, I’ve had many wins and many losses anyway.

And why do you not like stagger and flip outs? [quote=“VladKravich, post:59, topic:20230”]
they only seem to reward the better players when they are already good at the game
[/quote]

Everything in this game rewards the better players. I don’t think that you understand the concept of better players are going to beat you.

They were able to beat me anyway without them in season’s 1 and 2. Their inclusion in S3 just makes matches more 1-sided.

I don’t think that is what happened. Your opponents increased their skill and adapted and learned the new mechanics. You didn’t learn and adapt to them so that is why the matches are more one sided. The opponents increased their skill and you didn’t. Of course the match is going to be more one sided. “Better players than me were already beating me without counter breakers. Now they can counter break and I am not adapting to this. Counter breakers are making the matches more one sided.” See how that sounds? That’s basically what is going on except replace counter breakers with flip out and staggers.

4 Likes

Anywho I think the game is fine where it is but I can see why people dislike characters that mainly work by yoloing special moves. It makes it feel like your opponents aren’t really working as hard as you when they can just come in at will to start their pressure and you have to put in lab time to counter something as simple as a yolo poweeline.

I’m really confused by the people who dislike stagger.

It’s just an attack with a lot of hit stun. There is nothing magic about them that changes how KI works in any real way, except allowing combo extensions without requiring cancels. Half the characters don’t even have a stagger move. Virtually all of the top tier characters from the previous patch (Jago, Omen, Aria, Thunder, Mira, Maya etc) don’t have staggers at all.

To me it just sounds like “I’m losing more in S3… hmm, what did they add in S3? Oh yeah, stagger! Yeah, stagger is the reason.”

20 Likes

If you wanted to make this game for like SFV (i.e. more footsie based), there are a couple of things you could do:

1. Have auto-doubles increase the KV by much more and have manuals increase it by much less. This would shorten combos, and encourage manuals which are harder to pull off.

2. Make it so not every normal can be cancelled into an opener. This is already the case with sweeps, but certain normals with long reach (e.g. Shin Hisako’s f.MP) could be non-cancelable so they only work as pokes. This would make it so that not every stray hit could lead to a combo.

That’s all I can think of right now, but I’m sure there are other ways. I’m not saying these should be implemented, but if you want a more neutral based game those are some of the ways of going about it.

In regards to the Stagger/flipout thing, I think it’s just a matter of people not liking the fact that they are spending more time getting hit. It’s definitely not a balance issue, its just that it means the player spends less time doing what they want to do and more time trying to get out of a combo. The mechanics don’t make the game any worse on a technical level, but it should be easy to see how they make it less enjoyable for some.

You’d have to give those normals some kind of added buff though. Sweeps offer hard knockdowns for landing and other non cancelable give things like staggers.

To be fair, at least @VladKravich is in here trying to explain what he wants in the game. Most of the discussions on the topic are people complaining without explanation.

I think the biggest problem with stagger and flipout (mostly flipout) is that people don’t have experience with them. Honestly if every character did this all the time and they were immensely powerful everyone would have adjusted by now. But 80% or more of the people I play don’t even use them. So no one practices against them. So when they see it they just throw their hands up in the air “oh my gawd, what am I supposed to do!?!?”

I could certainly live without these mechanics but they really don’t fundamentally change the game. There’s no way this is the reason anyone should be saying “this game just isn’t fun anymore.”

4 Likes

Are staggers breakable?

Depends on the stagger. As an opener? No like most openers. In the middle of a combo? Yes.

1 Like

If performed during the combo system, yes

1 Like