How to play Double Helixs Killer instinct season one (tutorial)

I would like to say that assessment is a little overstated…but I can’t.

Still, no regret dropping SF4 for KI. It’s why I got my Xbox One, and even if that SF5 amazon listing for Xbox One is real and not a hoax, I’m still on board for KI.

1 Like

The struggle of hugo on sf4 ill never forgot , I still have nightmares about the goken match up

1 Like

I would love ki to have a edition select mode like sf4u. So we would be able to play the season 1,2 and 3 version of each character. What I would give to play season 2 aganos again.

2 Likes

I honestly feel like an edition select would split the community. Complaints about how S3 wasn’t as good as the previous seasons is bad enough as it is. If they allowed people to play the previous seasons, not only would these complaints increase in number, but there would also be new complaints about why these editions can’t be played in official tournaments.

And the last thing I want to see is S1 Wulf and Sadira again. Hell, even S2 was kind of dumb with the stuff Kan-Ra could get away with.

2 Likes

Honestly for me, I think it would be cool if they could have Season 1 and Season 2 as separate and standalone games as a bonus mode or something like that. No added extras and stuff, it’s exactly what it was from the ground up…

Lol its design was good, but not so much anything else. Don’t get me wrong, I dislike gimmicks as much as the next guy/gal. But, Season 1 was broken as ■■■■. Sadira jump cancels and one chance break won almost every tournament and Jago’s stupid safe everything and plus frames made him ridiculous.

This game was saved.

5 Likes

I could only imagine if S2/3 characters had only S1 mechanics…I could forsee alot of OPness from that.

1 Like

Just watching these 2 videos makes me want to stop playing KI. Season 1 was so much better in almost every way. I don’t think shadow lords mode is enough to keep me around, KI3 just isn’t KI3 anymore.

1 Like

I’m surprised ig hasn’t closed this lol

1 Like

People remember S1 with rose tinted glasses. Have fun eating unbreakables, unblockables, and everyone only doing one chance into shadow ender instead of actual combos.

6 Likes

I tried this for fun…

HOLY CHET that was broken!

If MS/IG hadn’t stepped in, KI would have died.

I still have Sadira Nightmares XD

3 Likes

I would like to see people actually try and defend S1 as better designed than the future seasons in more than like 2 ways. I’m sure it’s pretty much impossible.

People have the freedom to express their opinions and the like. IG might feel a little hurt by some of these comments, but they know they shouldn’t try and become forum police.

3 Likes

Indeed. I’m sure a lot of people think it’s neat to go back to an early KI1 build and do Cinder’s infinite Ultra…doesn’t mean it makes for a good game experience for the masses.

Honestly I don’t exactly have fond memories of S1…mostly because it was a buggy mess. I’m pretty sure I had my unlock progress reset like 3-4 times, and once it even transferred over to my son’s profile.

Does anyone remember the Shago glitch back when he was a skin? The one where if you selected him by timing out the select screen, he would have Jago’s effects on his moves and no voice clips?

:slight_smile:

Not to mention he was the undisputed king to manuals being able to manual off anything with relative ease.

3 Likes

Sounds like how Eyedol suffers in almost every match I’ve played against other players. :smiley:

There are a few things about the DH version that I think were a bit better back then:

1. Shadow move effects
  2. Menu design
  3. Splash screen design (DH logo, Helix Engine logo, KI “press start” screen)

And then there are some very clear improvements IG made

1. Character model effects (lighting on Fulgore, Jago’s glow, Thunder’s axes, Spinal’s skull on fire)
  2. Fulgore’s mechanics
  3. Glacius’s mechanics

Really, really interesting video.

I LOVED season 1. I put more hours into season 1 than any other game I’ve played on Xbox One by approximately 10x. Because of life reasons I still haven’t matched that with hours on season 2 & 3. I have tremendous respect for what DH did and I really liked the dev team and their attitude about the game. I have nothing but fond memories of Season 1.

But it’s simply not possible to compare the second group of 8 characters to the first or the gameplay of a 6-8 character fighting game to the gameplay of a 10-16 or 17-26 character fighting game. The game was going to change as it grew regardless of whether IG or DH was at the helm. People are free to have whatever opinions they have on aesthetics like shadow effects and lighting etc, but it’s just wrong to suggest that S1 was somehow more sensible, coherent, or technically superior to the game now. On a per character basis it was way more buggy and there were far more broken mechanics than the current game - along with a LOT less content. No story mode, no shadows, no Shadow Lords (soon), no Online lobbies. As far as footsies versus gimmicks - Spinal and Fulgore stand out as two of the most gimmicky characters in the roster, each with a special resource and a teleport. That’s not a problem for me, but it shines a pretty cold light on the idea that if DH was still involved we wouldn’t be seeing “complex” characters. Those suggestions are simply not justifiable based in the evidence we have.

7 Likes

I’ll agree with you on 1 and 3 as far as what DH did better. I do like the old shadow effects, and when I heard the mechanical sounds of the old logos and then the explosive fireball of the press start (or menu back then), that felt so awesome.

I don’t mind a little forward progress and Iron Galaxy putting their own artistic polish and flair, but the Press Start screen is something I don’t think will ever get more interesting than the Iron Galaxy logo. Would love to see an honest to goodness attract mode where fighters play out a randomly selected demo match, or even if there were a transition similar to season 1 where you saw green photo-realistic flames burst open to the Menu.

I would’ve at least loves to hear what DH would have done with season 2-3 if they were still working on it and how different the game would’ve been.

2 Likes