How to play Double Helixs Killer instinct season one (tutorial)

Was the camera like that too with season one ultra’s? Or was that edited…looks really dynamic.

Just watching this video, I’m really happy with what we have now.

3 Likes

The camera is still like that iirc, you just can’t do the cancels like that any more.

Watching that makes me want the old shadow effects back. Yes, it was distracting, and yes, story, but the old effects look SOO much better.

8 Likes

Season 1 was just better, period.

Less gimmicks, more footsies, fireballs dimmed the screen, more sparkles, better ultras, better boss, better shadow effect, better Spinal, better Shago Ultimate, better music than season 3, better model viewer (with zoom in).

Only improvements were UI, resolution in season 2 and lighting in SOME stages of season 3 (Fulgore, for example - others, like Thunder and Spinal got worse).

IG’s kitchen-sink approach is a disappointment. Changing everything and focusing on gimmicks over and over and over.

7 Likes

You mean when combo breakers gave hard knockdowns? And sadira had unbreakables? And everything was more basic then it is now?

11 Likes

I’m way more happy with season 2 and 3 then I ever was with season 1. In my opinion the game has only gotten better with each coming season. (Beside the new shadow effects). Something I never see IG thanked for by the way is the amazing choice of giving charecters individual charecter levels to unlock stuff rather than the weird currency of Season 1.

1 Like

Yeah, I remember a lot of that.

Thunder’s redonkulous damage capability.

The REALLY broken Fulgore with his full screen anti air laser, triple fireball without pip burn, meter charge, and topping it off, 41% RAW DAMAGE on the hype beam.

And Jago’s full screen windkick and no thought required to get health back instinct. Just walk forward on a hard knockdown and your health is restored.

Fun times, but really broken. A lot of things have gotten better with time, and I’d say the game is much better now than it was then, but there are some things I would like to have kept from season 1. Namely the old shadow effect.

I also remember that old “Beta” style main menu, and I didn’t care it looked like a work in progress, the game was fun. And we had zoom capability on the character model viewer too. There was also one glitch where you get infinite amounts of Killer Points and buy the store out way too easily. And the ranking system used titles that changed every level and getting to killer was a REAL mark of skill. Just ask Max. The killer rank was not easily acquired.

4 Likes

It’s been forever since I’ve played S1 Fulgore, but IIRC they originally made him to be somewhat similar to Eyedol is now where he was kinda half rushdown & half zoner, and a lot of his game play was designed to knock the opponent back until you filled your pip meter & then you could bust loose with full-on attack mode. And it took a lot of work to get the pip meter up to get that sweet hyper beam goodness because you had to charge it manually.

…but considering DH had just finished their part and then left for Amazon I will give it the benefit of the doubt and say it’s likely he did have some flaws.

Oh manual charge…you will be missed.

Not really…he can still do it while he’s in instinct.

I missed it. After a eye laser ender I got 1-2 free bars plus a mix-up. I didn’t need another ender to use. Downside is that if you got trampled too quickly then it was hard to gain some pips. And if people were really aggressive there wasn’t much time for pips.

Then throw on the newer characters. Meter was also much tougher to make decisions with. Because if you screwed up a shadow move then you in some real hot water since if the opponent was aggressive you might have not seen more pips.
But that’s ok. fulgore is a sub.

ARIA is the master anyway.

1 Like

FULL SCREEN SHADOW WINDKICK!!! and don’t forget about the instinct cancel Enders

Ohhhh, man. I miss S1 so bad. It was so simple yet sophisticated. Character were straight forward and easy to use, but to accomplish some heavy duty damage, ya had to think outside the box. The most gimmicky characters were either Fulgore or Spinal, but even they’re relatively simple.

Compare characters like Cinder, Aria, Eyedol, Gargos, and many others after season 1 TO season 1.
There’s a huge difference in not only gameplay, but character designs too. It was such a tragedy to see DH go, and IG has been doin’ a pretty swell job, but it’s not Killer Instinct 2013 anymore, it’s something entirely different :frowning: .

3 Likes

The game would have died years ago if it stayed like ki 2013 , somtimes change is good

12 Likes

Aw… The beautiful days of Sadira’s unbreakable combos or one chance break combos. Demon Blade cancels and manual cancels.

While they were fun, you can’t argue with IG’s decision to nerf them. They were rather broken.

1 Like

Just wish we could still instinct cancel ultra enders.

3 Likes

I think that they would have moved on to crazier tactics and characters anyways. Season one was just them starting out carefully with the game. Honestly watching S1 tootsies reminds me too much about street fighter. The characters and new ways to play make the game hype as it is now. But hey, that’s just my opinion.

2 Likes

I understand the archetype at play with Fulgore in season 1, but I question if they thought everything about the character through or not.

In season 1, probably the worst matchup of the game occurred between Fulgore and Thunder. Fulgore’s zoning tools were too powerful in this case, and always managed to keep Thunder out way too well at little cost, and could play runaway without sacrificing offensive momentum to charge his meter. He could keep Thunder out so well, he could easily charge meter and sit safely with Shadow moves all day.

Still, that post was more of a reminisce about some old stuff, when you didn’t have to know a combination of 26*26 matchups. 8 characters to learn, not too much matchup stuff you had to learn. I’m not saying new seasons were bad or unwelcome, I just liked season 1 and the seasonal approach taken to put players into new matchups. Capcom fighters tend to be a little different in which they start with a cast of almost 20 and just constantly add to the point where learning new matchups becomes cumbersome and too much of a chore.

IG also tends to actually listen and adds value to the gameplay and characters rather than just taking and shifting gameplay for no reason (seemingly). I understand why Glacius’ long range combos need damage reduction, or why TJ’s tremor shouldn’t have a ground hitbox behind and be 0 on block, why Thunder should have an invincible DP or Cinder’s Inferno have a controllable direction and duration. I don’t understand why M.Bison’s HK had +10 damage or -10 damage, why scissor kick needed a -10 damage reduction on the second hit, or any of these silly insignificant changes when what he really needed to have was a freakin Headstomp need a force block proximity and stop whiffing at point blank range and some other quality of life improvements to keep him from being a joke at tournaments.

2 Likes

Rip mbizzel , may you only be good in 2 bar connection online