Holy crap Mira's awesome!

The point of her is that you have to spend her health to get crazy mixups and open people up. And she has some of the best neutral, pressure and mixup tools in the game. Plus, her three variations of command grab make them easy to land in multiple situations.

You have to learn to manage yourself. The first few matches, you will get yourself killed. It’s inevitable. But once you understand her completely, you probably won’t even worry about life anymore.

The problem is that KI has fixed health for all cast (I think it’s 360 HP or something like that, spread in two bars of 180 HP and three of 120 for ARIA) so it’s hard to make a glass canon character in it. Other games would just make the char have less health.

Even then I think it’s early to tell even if the idea was poorly implemented. Right now people are going crazy with the setups and not exploring her neutral game too much - I’ve seen people do 90% of damage to themselves on the first round and finish the opponent in what would be a 1st round perfect, except if you take one hit you’re right at his side on the red bar land.

Something similar happened to ARIA. People where still learning how to manage her less health per bar and the fragility of the bodies, some where using the floating bodies too much in the hopes that it would create an accidental setup, others where switching too much or not enough and losing bodies for no reason… it took players like Sleep to show a proper managed ARIA win matches and even tournaments.

Eventually people will start managing her health better. They will resort to mind games on the neutral and use the canon balls more efficiently, doing high 50%+ damage while not losing 50% on the process.

I’m already seeing the potential, she has really good normals specially when jumping. She’ll eventually be one of those characters I hate playing against like Kan-Ra, Riptor and Cinder.

Yeah, I think Mira is going to turn out to be very good. She really can open people up, but you have to manage her health wisely.

I agree about the health bar.

I don’t see her having a great neutral game to be honest. There are other characters that have better zoning, better normals, are faster etc. then she is. She’s going to have to be in your face to do her damage, and as a result, will have to spend health to get there.

Managing her health will be vital. But you sacrifice your damage for it… at which point she becomes more glass then cannon. I think she’s going to stay as an either or character. Either you dominate the match in 20 seconds, or you’re dead.

Will be interesting to see where she ends up, but I’m making an early bet that buffs are coming.

she is indeed awesome, but without having her own stage she is incomplete and not as fleshed out as the rest of the characters with their own stages

stages for DLC!!!

I think every single statement you make here is true, in isolation. But my overall impression of the character is the opposite. I do think she has a great neutral, because the whole is greater than the sum of it’s parts, and I think Mira is going to be popular and effective.

I’m not intending to argue, I just thought it was neat how different people can agree on the facts and still disagree on their meaning.

Not to be a ■■■■, but she has a ton of opportunities to regenerate health, and it seems to be what differentiates good Miras from bad ones.

Too many Miras are going for max damage combos and her medium/heavy specials at neutral which just freaking crushes her health. Instead of going for a damage ender, go for her recovery ender. Instead of doing a damage linker, go for her recovery linker.

It is quite literally the only thing keeping her balanced since she has almost every tool a character needs, best in class specials if she spends the health to use them, and unbelievable damage.

That she has to be aware of her own health while having what would otherwise be broken gameplay really shows how clever the design of KI can be.

Mira’s neutral is amazing. Bats control space and keep the opponent still, she has an air dash and mist form combined with decent air normals. Her ground normals are STUPIDLY good (St. MP specifically) and her walk and dash speeds are decent. Plus the qcb+p is a pure 50/50, in addition to a command grab and a +2 slide.

1 Like

This is really true, and I think people just don’t get it yet.

I think Mira’s “math” is just different and people will need to adjust. Imagine this scenario - you are in the middle of a combo and you and your opponent have equal health at the exact moment you are getting ready to choose your ender. You have a choice of doing your damage ender and doing 20% damage to your opponent or to do your bite ender and recover 50% of your lifebar. In this situation the damage option puts you at +20% on your opponent and the recovery option puts you at +50. In this circumstance, the recovery actually does a LOT more to put you in the lead than the damage to your opponent. If you only have a small gray bar, then you should prioritize other things. When one or more damage bars can go up or down it’s no longer just a contest about how much damage you do at any given time, it’s how far ahead of your opponent you are in terms of life lead.

Using Mira is all about life bar management - not just running in and doing combos.

1 Like

It’s also important to note that in the corner she gets a wall splat (ok damage) into guaranteed command grab for life regen. She also gets ridiculous tick grabs off a lot of her blocked normals, and whether or not to jump out seems pretty 50/50 from what I’ve seen.

I think she’ll be a very good character. Her mixups are really good (and actually don’t cost a ton of life if you aren’t trying to be overly cheeky with them), she’s got solid buttons, and she has a lot of opportunities to cover herself and force the opponent to just kind of take her pressure.

The life cost to her mixups is pretty severe, but I actually think it’s necessary to be that way. Mira can be really oppressive if she’s in a mind to just apply the maximum amount of pressure she’s capable of.

3 Likes

Agreed 100%.

The life cost is completely necessary. Without it you have what is essentially the best character in the game. It is a clever way they limit the use of some of her specials. Homing bats is incredibly good. The frames on her medium/heavy slide are great (if memory serves). She’s got a built in high/low special. But the cost? You’re going to have to bring yourself closer to death and actually make a choice… do I use homing + mist form to get in for a mix-up and eat a fairly large chunk of damage, or do I play it a bit safer for now.

The number of Miras that get a big life lead and then blow it by spending health for her neutral tools is amazing.

1 Like

Just as another note, I think the different forms of her command grab would be getting hammered as way OP if they did any damage (Although recovering Mira’s life has just as much of an impact) As people develop the skill and the matchup knowledge to use them effectively I think it’s going to be pretty fascinating to watch.

Even in my hands her MK bite is a really potent antiair and her LK bite functions almost like a counter or reversal.

And her hk bite takes me by surprise about 100% of the time. Good range, decent speed… don’t want to turtle too long against Mira for sure.

That’s really true, although it cuts both ways. If Mira has no black bar, then you don’t want to change your gameplan to avoid her bite. If she has a huge one then you need to avoid bite at all costs. The opponent should be cognizant of her black health too.

never has getting owned been this much fun. I mean, there are times that I completely destroy my opponent but more times than not I’m dead before I even realize it. Still, mira is one of ig’s best creations and I’m completely in love with her design and play style.

I’ve been playing with her against Rash, and I’m really having a hard time getting around his shenanigans. It’s hard enough to get around his wrecking ball with others, but I haven’t found anything that works well against it save for MP which hits 2x, and even then it seems there are certain frames during the wrecking ball seems to plow right through it anyway. I was playing against my son with her, and normally he can’t touch me…but Mira vs Rash, I just kept getting wrecked over & over…and he’s an extremely sore winner, so I wasn’t too happy about the experience.

1 Like

i am so sorry but that sounds so cute XD

K…just curious, how so?

I have a little brother but he is to small to play games with being only 4 and I was an only child for a vast majority of my life.

I can’t help but imagine you playing fighting games with someone far younger than you that is jumping up and down bragging about winning like I’m sure my brother would if he was old enough to.

Try 2hp. Depending on its hitbox, that might work since it will go through armor. Does her blood have a hurtbox?

It’s no good when the kid starts beating the old man, got to delay that as long as possible!