Guess what happens if you report someone

I’m european and I play different people every day, from every platform, from different countries , at any given timezone. You probably have connection/nat/teredo issues, so you only get paired with the same people

A lot of people are wrong. Being part of a big group doesn’t mean that your group is right

If someone uninstalls a game because his opponent pressed a button several times… they are too focused on themselves and they just think as spoiled kids, not as a grown adult.

Today is teabaging. But there is a bunch of stuff which some people wanted out of FGs. I know people who wanted to eliminate throws, because they consider them cheap.

This is what is called scrub mentality. A scrub uses self made rules while playing, and sees unfair/wrong when somebody doesn’t use them.

Some would consider throws cheap, so they get angry for being thrown. Others consider zoning cheap, so they refuse to play against zoners. Others consider teabagging an insult, instead what it is (pressing a button, nothing else).

All of them are wrong. And you can’t do nothing to satisfy an scrub, since a scrub will ALWAYS find new stuff to complain about.

2 Likes

Throw is not disrespecting. You got me totally wrong here. Teabag is an expression that doesnt affect gameplay. Its just you not respecting your opponent. Im not salty cause I lost i did many sets with good players from the forums and I lost most of the time. So i dont have anything against the gameplay. The reason i made this topic is that i think tbag should not be encouraged. Dont come at me with “just pressing down”. Cause insults through messages are just Pressung buttons on the keaboard . Or words through the mic is just air that comes out of my mouth. Thats your logic.

I know tbag is not that big of deal.
Lets just leave that there.

Fun fact - I will curb stomp someone who taunts me after taking a round far more than I ever would an opponent who teabags. On the whole, I consider some taunts way more disrespectful than a guy dancing on my corpse or mashing down like a maniac. For whatever reason, post round taunts just irritate me.

To a certain extent, that’s part of the problem. How people take things is one of murkiest and muddiest areas to wade into imaginable. New players playing with friends on the couch may take it one way, new player playing Ranked by himself takes it another way, skilled player like Letalis takes it another, and so on and so on. Meaning changes across cast members (Rash’s taunt has never once made me angry, Jago’s irritates me), opponent, and context. That’s generally a bad place to try to insert hard and fast rules.

3 Likes

Well, not “everyone” thinks it’s an issue at all, but let’s follow the “do something” train to its logical conclusion, as I believe that is where your frustration in this thread seems to lie. I agree that teabagging is generally done online in the spirit of being ■■■■■■■■ so let’s try to unpack that for a minute.

First of all, let’s define the problem. Teabagging is the repeated pressing of down, so that should be a fairly simple, “know it when I see it” type of thing, right? Maybe…but how many down presses does it take per second before it is a “true” teabag? What about buffering? If I have a meter and you’re Glacius, there’s a decent chance I’m teabagging the living daylights out of the ground at midscreen, because I’m buffering shadow ORZ to punish any hail/shatter I see. So should we change our definition to stipulate “it’s only teabagging if done over the opponent? Perhaps…but if I do a hard knockdown where I’m guesstimating your wakeup timing (say, to cross up your DP input with a heavy TK-ORZ), it’s also not uncommon to see some teabagging as I buffer, but wait for the get-up animation. Sometimes I buffer to make it look like a command grab is coming, but meaty low instead. The repeated crouching was a red herring to make you think a special was coming. In none of these instances do I mean anything insulting to my opponent - I just want to play the game and hit them.

So within game, the definition of what a teabag even is is much fuzzier than it appears at first blush. So let’s just assume that the biggest issue with it is between rounds, and instead focus our corrective effort there instead. KI has post-round positioning as a balance affecting mechanic, meaning we begin from a place where that positioning capacity has to exist. So our fix must preserve the ability to get in on Glacius or back away as Kan-Ra before the announcer yells “Fight”. So left, right, and up motions must be preserved and represented on the screen. Would you have the developer disallow down inputs altogether? Does that mean that I can no longer buffer a command grab or shatter or DP to come out first frame after “Fight”? So instead of ignoring the down input, how about we instead just remove visual cues of it - stock the motion in our input buffer, but simply always show the character standing (or walking, dashing, etc). Ok, so we’ve now solved our teabagging problem, but we’ve also made it so that I as the opposing player have an entirely different set of visual cues that I must respond to to have an idea of what my opponent wants to try. Is Glacius just stutter-stepping backward because he’s bored, or is each micro-walk hiding a down input for a hail or a cold shoulder? Trying to hide the input to prevent ■■■■■■■ behavior in this case also has the side effect of obscuring legitimate cues and tells that affect actual game progression. Post-game movement is probably the easiest fix in that the game could theoretically simply kill all inputs after a lifebar is reduced to zero, but “easy” is a pretty relative term in coding parlance - a program built in installments like KI tends to have unforeseen connections between disparate components that means small fixes to one thing can cascade negatively across the entire program. But still, this fix could probably be made to work with a bit of effort, and wouldn’t impact game balance at all.

So with these fixes in mind, could a new KI be made with neutral start conditions between rounds and no post-game movement? Sure. But the former tangibly changes round-start balance, and so isn’t a change that should be made lightly or as a knee jerk reaction within the current game - Glacius and Kan-Ra and even Gargos are better characters if the opponent is forced to begin the fight at midrange, and that has to be assessed holistically. And even then, in our hypothetical game where neutral position is enforced and there is no extraneous movement permitted after the fight, if I really want to sit on top of you on HKD and furiously mash down (this time with intent to be an ■■■, as opposed to buffering or baiting), the opportunity is manifestly there. I’ve changed game balance to some extent, and still a player can be a raging douche if they feel so inclined. Our down/sec rule isn’t savvy enough to distinguish between legitimate buffering or mindgames and being a douche, so that’s not workable and will needlessly catch people who are simply trying to play an effective game and react to things. If you try to split the difference and say only cardinal direction down is flagged, well, I can teabag with down+forward just as easily as down.

This very long post is really just trying to make the point that any fix has costs and downstream effects, some of which are not immediately appparent. Some materially change balance and MU’s, some affect the meta and reaction games, and some likely generate some non-trivial number of false positives if implemented. So all of that, and jerk player 347 still has the capacity to be a jerk, whether by taunting, taunt cancelling, literal griefing in certain MU’s, dropping combos on purpose, winning with only DP’s, just to come off the top of the head. We have changed game balance and meta and probably banned a couple people who didn’t deserve it, and the dedicated player can still (pretty easily I might add) find a way to show his condescension.

As @BigBadAndy said, I wish players would be nicer, particularly to newbies. But I also don’t think it’s a worthwhile use of developer time to try and eliminate all potential outlets for douchery within the game. There are a lot of ways to show contempt for one’s opponent, and personally I’d rather they spent that time fixing bugs and thinking of cool new mechanics.

7 Likes

Like I said before, competitive games have this type of behavior. Sports have it, video games have it, there’s no avoiding it. So if you can’t handle it, then competition isn’t for you simple as that. I don’t like listening to stupid uneducated customers who spew how my job/life works to me, but I deal with it and move on to the next customer.

Agreed… Jagos and Rash’s Irritate me too. Where Thunder, Omen, and Eyedol feel more like “Lets do this!”

I guess you are right.No ranked for me.

Have you ever seen the movie “Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back”? There is a part of the movie when they do exactly that. They fly all over the country and beat the he’ll out of the people who talked smack about them. It brings a smile to my face when I think about that part of the movie.

People who say rude/hateful things on the Internet/Games are no different than the small child who gives you the finger while hiding behind his mother.

2 Likes

Do the Japanese tbag as much as punk and knuckledu?

I wouldn’t say KI encourage this but it allows it more than other games.
However long ago I saw a girl playing KI1 and started teab…ing the AI (during no mercy moment or stunt) saying “I’m soooo gooood”. Never in my life I recall doing such a thing by then. When did we become so stu*id??!

Now we have threads like this because of ppl that find humiliating others the most they can, looks fun and cool and you are such a bad*ss.
Not enough with taunts, ultras, no…there’s also plenty of time for doing this dumb shooter imported idiotic stuff.

If there’s another KI consider minimizing this disrespect space or functions. Don’t feed the trolls (because the game allows this for real, while in others games you don’t have much space or time for this).

PS: this reminded how toxic Gears can be, it’s not fun. But it’s a shooter…I am not a fan of facing this all the time in the fighting genre where you can also deal a bit ammount of salt and pressure.

PS2: fighters remind me a bit of tennis. You can lose your Focus with too little. Is it allowed to provoke like an ido*t there? Lets not turn fighters into a lame t…ing show, please.

PS3: again, we didn’t do this before and a taunt was like “Whoaaa!, You punk!”. This genre is very scrubbyright now.
(Yes, I admit I did t…bag sometimes too, but you can imagine why). And yes, some taunts can irritate me, just because most ppl no nothing about fighthing games at all.

1 Like

My goodness… you’re the Dr. Phil of KI! :smiley:

2 Likes

B-but…that’s when I need to go dash over my daggers if I happen to have lost one or both in the first round. :disappointed:

That particular line was about after the second lifebar is ended. So you’re good in our hypothetical here :joy::+1:t5:

1 Like

Or not as the case may be. :sweat_smile:

Here’s another thought. Even if teabagging and taunting were completely removed people would find other ways to get their message across. Look at other games where you can’t teabag, in dark souls people use fast weapon swapping as their “teabag”. In Call of Duty people sneak a knife swipe in the last few moments of the kill cam as their “teabag”. Back in the guitar hero days people would intentionally miss the last note of a song as their “teabag”. No matter what you do people will find ways. Heck in KI some people already do the back and forth shimmy instead of teabagging.

I honestly don’t see how this could be viewed as disrespect

1 Like

Uhhhh… I think I might need to doing this…

Yeah, I’ve done that “little dance” few times. But it’s more like being cocky or happy for the victory (not a la “Nicky style”) against certain players.
It’s something like “la la la, I got it right, it was fun”.

I’ve always done it because I always need to do something with my fingers. Whenever I’m emotional (be it nervous, excited, or in deep concentration) I always fidget with my fingers. Moving side to side just keeps my fingers busy. Never thought it meant something like a taunt.

1 Like

It’s not, you should not stop doing it if it helps you.

1 Like

I don’t find moving like that offensive at all. I love dashing with Wulf in between rounds sometimes, and heard someguys consider I’m mocking them but I’m not, you could also syy I make them anxious.

2 Likes