Giant Spiders

So in other words most spiders are actually relatively harmless, am I correct?

1 Like

Correct. Even many of the larger species aren’t aggressive. That’s why tarantulas are popular pets. :slight_smile:

Of course, there are still species that can kill you, and will make you suffer greatly while they do it. Mostly by melting your flesh or running a fever. Just be aware of what kind of spider you’re dealing with and you should be okay. Education is key!

4 Likes

And docile too :wink:

And especially of course, don’t PROVOKE them either :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hows about the dreaded Whip Scorpion!
http://imgur.com/tYfcmO7
http://imgur.com/hKPdsrP

1 Like

I’d be fascinated really. Ironically when I was in 3rd grade I had a fear of spiders. Mostly from the eyes. But my fear wasn’t very extreme. I was also fascinated. Then two things changed my perspective.

1: I killed a spider out of fear and my teacher told me the spider wasn’t going to hurt me I cried in guilt after that.

2: after @Jeffron27 brought me a book about spiders he checked out from his school I read a paragraph that made me feel pity for them.

Now. the spider is my favorite arthropod. I even have three favortie type sof spiders.
1: Tarantulas
2: Wolf spiders
3: Jumping Spiders (look flippin adorable)

All in that order.

@ZDhome

Actually, there are snakes with no fangs. The colubrids, pythons and boas. believe it or not, only 10% of the snake population is venomous. and less than half of that have venom to hurt a human but some wont hurt too much. problem is, the venomuse ones get most media attention.

If your looking for a pet snake, this video may help you with suggestions.

3 Likes

Those spiders are BAD-■■■! Lol I bet Sadira keeps those in her backyard! Lol
Despite how big and scary these guys look, they’ll likely not wish to bit you and they’re not as venomous as some smaller ones (I say this because they’re so big they can just man-handle their prey) Goliaths really just crush their prey to death more or less and the prey dies from the sheer size of those fangs biting into them.

If you tick off a Goliath spider what’s likely gonna happen is it’s gonna turn around and kick the needle like hairs off it’s abdoment and into your eyes and face. Which is how it avoids getting eaten by pesky mammals like canines and stuff.
(In lamen’s terms, if you threaten it, it will assault you with the hairs on its rear end)

Huntsman spiders are, whether you wanna believe it or not; are your best freinds, you’d probably be over run with some nastier bugs in that region if not for them.

While I myself won’t be freakin’ out over these things I do find all the “nope” posts in here hilarious. XD

As for handling them, I’d feel safer handling them then I would a rat.

Well it dpeends on your definition of “harmless” if you mean a snake that’s not aggressive and weon’t kill you, then you’re in luck, there’s alot of those around. Snakes like ball pythons, garter snakes, corn-snakes are just a small sample of snakes that can make good pets. If you’re talking about an animal that will never bite you unless you do something to cause it, then you’re better off not getting any animal as a pet cause all of them can bite, lol.

the snakes that are typically the deadlier group are the elapidae (cobras, mambas, taipan,) and vipers (rattlesnakes, malabar pit-vipers, bush-mashers, etc.) granted there’s still only a few in those groups that are actually toxic enough to kill you. Corn snakes and garters make up to colbrid family of snakes which a great majority of them are harmless and are the most common : D

2 Likes

Jumping spiders are great. Once I was watching one sitting on the edge of a wall, then it noticed me, slowly turned around and leapt of the wall backwards. Like it was showing off.

1 Like

Either that, or it saw you and it was like “nope nope nope” XD or it very well could be showing off :>

2 Likes

As a matter of fact you are correct. There are only 4 types of spiders that kill or harm a human.
The brown recluse, (Not aggressive)
The widow spiders (not aggressive)
Brazilian wondering spider (aggressive)

these two can hrut a human but human deaths are rare.

But the Funnel web spider is by far the most dangerous.Especially the males. what really causes these to happen is that male spiders leave their dens in search of a mate. But they end up wondering around aimlessly and as a result, they end up in homes. if you where in Australia, and found a funnel web in your home. It’s likley a male. ironically they are the ones who have the realy nasty venom. Complete opposite to the male black widow who’s venom has no effect at all.

1 Like

Fun fact about that: widdows and recluse are very common where we live : P

1 Like

Wolf spiders also amke a good anti-brown recluse and balck widow predator to. Spiders can also keep their own species in control. When two spiders of the Same species meet one of two things are likely to happen

A: the jazz music plays (mating)
B: the boxing bell.

and after either of the ladder occurs.
C: the dinner bell.

2 Likes

Probably the nopest thread I’ve ever seen on these boards lol.

I’ve had a phobia of spiders for as long as I can remember. I’m sure part of it is lack of exposure. I see something that looks like it’s moving with its 6th leg first and it freaks me out. Plus, we have wolf spiders, brown recluse desserts and black widows in my area, so I tend to not want to study the creepy crawly that’s in my house. Again, totally ridiculous reaction, I know.

Although I will say that I just learned that the daddy long legs myth is just that. I used to believe that they were the most venomous spider in the world, but couldn’t puncture human skin. Not true according to snopes. There is apparently zero evidence of this. So maybe if I were to get a man eight legged pet, I’d start there. :slight_smile:

Oh and Rukari closing and reopening the thread was hilarious!

1 Like

@Iago407

Well the wolf spiders can take care of the other two, so it’s good to have them.

Also the daddy long legs isn’t even a spider at all. Unless your talking about cellar spiders.

Spiders have the following.
Eight legs
Eight eyes (sometimes 6)
two body parts
Pedipalps

Is this the animal your talking about?

1 Like

Yeppers. Those guys like to come in and hang out on my wall. Those don’t really bother me, but you’re saying they’re not spiders brcause they lack two body parts? Huh. No kidding.

I watched the video. I swear I saw that guy get bit twice.

I don’t care about bites. But it would be annoying at the least.

I wish there was a snake that wouldn’t bite. I would like the hognose one, I just need to know how bad they hurt :confused:

I don’t trust spiders
and I feel they will use their fangs against me =(
ok, maybe not all of them :stuck_out_tongue:

Still
I don’t trust Sadiras :expressionless:

2 Likes

I have a real soft spot when it comes to spiders however in video games I can’t stand them.

By body parts I mean the following.

Insects have a head, thorax, and abdomen.
Spiders have cephalothroax.
Yhe daddy long legs has one body part.

But with that being said, the Daddy long legs is still an arachnid since it has 8 legs like the spider and scorpion. It is also known as a harvest-men.

1 Like

To be more precised, they’re harvestmen. Their diets vary but they’re the least harmless of the arachnids, compared to ticks which are the most dangerous.

1 Like