Gargos is annoying to fight

I dont know, man. It hits on frame 50 with a huge obvious tell before hand. Backdash it. He can’t instinct cancel on whiff and you can punish. Heavy Reckoning is one of the worst moves in this entire game.

4 Likes

Guess I need to practice :sweat:

With minions I can understand a sligt issue depending on you play as. But perhaps we should all wait for a bit cause in time tere’s gonna be a strategy out there to beat him easy.

In Mirror matches though I wouldn’t bother putting out minions unless you got a good plan to keep em’ alive. Cause the opposing Gargos will be beating them around easily. Jago also wrecks the poor little buggers without an issue. Lol

Is that one that teleports Gargos in place from above? Yea, that’s a garbage move (maybe I’ve been playing players unfamiliar with Gargos?). He basically presents himself to you on block to punish, way too obvious between its startup and when the portal appears overheard.

Yeah, heavy reckoning is a pretty terrible move. I’ve honestly been surprised to see how often people go to it as an option. Especially against Hisako…even when it catches me completely and totally by surprise, it’s ridiculously counterable.

I think it can work if an opponent really, really, isn’t expecting it (which is likely, because it’s a terrible move), but overall it’s not something you’ll be able to go to in two weeks, let alone two months.

Gargos is what’s missing from a lot of fighting games, a true challenge, he has lots of flaws and openings, I’ve actually almost got his habits down packed, I play on Killer and took me 52 games and Jago (main), Shago, Omen, Kim, Aganos ( Second Main in Traning) and finally Rash (5 tries) to beat him… not sure if that is laughable or not but it was so much fun to almost beat him that many times & fail right at the end, and then to finally win with almost all of my red bar left…

Satisfying

Look at Kotal Khan or Shinnock in MKX & so far Necalli for SFV, they are the supposed boss level characters in the game and fit in just as another does, no added challenge or intrigue, at least with Gargos, there is a clear understanding of I AM SUPERIOR, at least in appearance and gameplay, as we get used to him, that will diminish but he will always be noticed as above a character not in line with the others.

Heavy reckoning was whooping me with Jago the first few matches, then I noticed the obvious and also that he was dependent on it… that quickly became an advantage for me, most of his heavy moves are become predictable actually his move set is very telling, after some time, you can visually see what he is attacking with… with that said he still ahs a lot of tricks at his disposal… I don’t get how people are wanting to quit the game cause he is in my opinion one of the best reasons to keep you intrigued… Shadows Lords is going to be a hit I can already tell just by facing this guy

1 Like

Can’t heavy reckoning also catch people in the air?

yes, he does it beautifully against Kim lol

Yeah, it can. Pretty much every time I’ve been hit with the move, it’s been because I was going for something in the air.

1 Like

The only annoying trait so far about Gargos is the PEOPLE spamming the portal punch. Lol Gargos has other moves too! No one likes using the minions. I think they are fun.

I like reading the comments in this thread though. :smile:

1 Like

As for reckoning -> bounce off -> one more action, it’s maybe a bit annoying (like Riptor’s talon rake), but keep in mind that Gargos has no other safe offense. Most characters have a -1 or -2 special move that advances them forward… Gargos doesn’t have that. He either has -12 portal punch (so he can never use it from wind kick range against 90% of the cast), or… he has reckoning bounce off as his only way to try and hit you. I imagine Gargos wishes he had a “regular” -1 special move too, because then he wouldn’t get anti-aired for free against a lot of people.

So yeah, it will be on Gargos to make this move hard to punish with good spacing or whatever, which is an extra layer that makes him hard to play. If you want, you can just pretend he is safe after it (and not try to punish him) just like you would wind kick or whatever, and then any other punishes you get are just gravy.

And yeah I don’t get the problem with heavy reckoning. Unless he is smothering you with minions, you should be able to react to this move with walk forward/dash/whatever pretty consistently, and then he can’t even instinct cancel it. And if he is smothering you with minions, and he wants to waste his mixup on heavy reckoning -> instinct cancel, then hey, as the defender I’m all for that. This move is so bad I’m pretty sure I’m not going to talk about it at all on my guide page for him.

I haven’t read any of this thread, but thank you for updating the title!

2 Likes

Also, Gargos’s defense really is up there with the worst in the game. It’s chunkless-Aganos bad. Like… you can knock him down and literally destroy his entire life bar. Especially if you knock him down and get rid of his minions, he just has to block like a hero and probably eventually combo break to get out. Instinct kinda-sorta gives him one screen freeze but if you meaty with a fierce he has no option but to burst for 0 damage.

His defense is a serious problem.

6 Likes

THANK YOU!

I’ve been trying find a good “wake up” for that situation especially if Wulf is on me. Eruption if I have instinct or trying to jab on wake-up. It’s not very much effective though. :confused:

As Gargos, Wulf can be a nightmare, fighting against him also proves he is bad against constant onslaught of offense, but you have to be effective with that offense also, he will punish mistakes

1 Like

I agree I just haven’t found that “formula” yet. Still labbing with Wulf/Riptor vs Gargos.

1 Like

I get hit by heavy reckoning a lot. People can say it’s garbage all they want but it doesn’t happen in a vacuum. If Gargos is spamming portal punches while minions jump at me and then does this as I jump, I tend to get caught in ambiguous places where I can’t move forward and get out of it or backward. I’m trying to block and it doesn’t block. So I don’t know that all the “you got hit by that?!?!” Is really constructive.

1 Like

Which is why he has assists and full armor instinct, to cover his huge holes. I agree, Definitely not op.

1 Like

I personally have never had any issues with heavy reckoning. Most of the time, I can see it coming and block it in time, and then follow up with a punish. I will admit, however, that I never considered back-dashing to cause it to whiff, but as an Aganos main, that’s not really an option - so in the meantime, I’ll just have to punish him with a grounded heavy punch or kick; that way, if he does indeed do instinct, I can still knock him down hard, bounce him off a wall I’ve already placed, or stagger him (or even better yet, both of the latter 2 into a full combo punish).

SFV is very easy compared to KI. The pace of decision making is much slower, and the character designs have far less variety and are comparatively extremely simple.

1 Like