Gargos is annoying to fight

That’s if you’re on the receiving end ^^’

On the offensive, you need to learn openers and the manuals they allow, you need to wrap your head around the idea that mid combo special moves become different specials moves, and you need to learn that some of those new combo-specific-special-moves are linkers, that lead to an extension of the combo, and some are enders, which are what allow you to get actual big damage.

You need to learn that not only do specials become different while done mid combo, they also get 3 different strengths, and they aren’t done by pressing light, medium or heavy anymore, a heavy version is done by holding down the button, and now the actual heavy button version interrupts and ends the combo.

Then you also need to learn that you cannot simply memorize a combo, put it into your muscle memory, and go on auto pilot as soon as you get a confirm. You need to get at ease enough with all those alien concepts described above, that you can constantly switch your combos around, mix up your combo pattern and trick your opponent.

Then you need to learn how to use each different ender, realize and recognize that they all have different effects (many character specific, even), and learn how to identify which ender is the best in which situation accordingly to the flow of the round.

Then you need to learn to recognize your opponent’s break patterns, learn when and how to extend combos, realize that mid combo you need to confirm a lock out unlike other games in which you simply need to confirm a hit and then execute a combo, and then put all of that into your muscle memory so that you can actually take advantage of the combo system.

And then there’s the counter breaker mind game, and the whole timing associated with it.

As the player being attacked, you need to learn to identify attack strengths and break combos, know when and how to break, when and how to let your opponent attack and resist the urge to break, recognize when your opponent goes for resets mid combo and react accordingly, and confirm when a counter breaker is attempted so as to not fall into it, and to proper punish its recovery.

The combo system is a whole different beast than anything any other fighting game has done. And then there’s the neutral which weighs in as heavily as it does in other fighting games.

(again, sorry for the off topic… =S)

2 Likes

Well…yes and no.

ok, then, glad we had this talk xD

I personally blame the BS on the Infinities the game had. It’s a BS mechanic to even have! that alone makes MVC3 seemingly the worst fighting game in my opinion.

All in all while yes Gargos’ portal punches can be a pain. I’d suggest if you can. Go after him.

Personally I don’t usually like to fight so far away that often when I’m Gargos, simply because I don’t get the damage output I want for the range.

Oh, well, the infinites weren’t a “mechanic” per se. They weren’t planned by the dev team! They were found out pretty late into the game’s active life by exploiting a wholly different mechanic altogether. Basically a bug, which was never patched out because the game got no further support from capcom =/

They weren’t the main issue with the game, though. X-factor lvl3 bull**** was the issue xD

The game had so much potential and it was such an awesome fighter. Really sad that it died (some argue it’s still alive, but, well, ya know) from lack of support =/

Gargo’s portal punches are annoying for sure, but they only really become an actual threat when a minion is on the field, IMO.

Heh…I’d be careful about throwing around the “D” world. Marvel still regularly gets more tournament support than KI, and people have been claiming our game is “dead” for three years running now :-p

Hahah, I know, I know, thing is, while KI is on the up and running, gaining new players with each day and growing its player base, UMVC3 has seen a severe decrease in its player base in the last year or so.

And it’s exactly because I know there is still a loyal fanbase and a competitive scene, even if so much smaller, that I mentioned some would argue with my statement xD

Trust me, I wish we could have a rebalancing of UMVC3. I really miss playing the game, but couldn’t keep it up with all the bull**** =/ not trying to attack the game at all, though ^^

1 Like

How do you know whether a character is overpowered if you’ve never even played as them?

c’mon. consuming isn’t only option for “knowing”.

just saying that there is combo assist for a reason.

Canceling a special or normal into a critical art is impossible for newcomers

As for the rest that is your opinion. Opinions are different so i dont care.

On topic: Yes Gargos is annoying to fight. I now have

Omen
Fulgore
Arbiter
Mira
Shadow Jago
Gargos
Hisako
Sadira

On my list of annoying characters to fight against. Annoying not overpowered… To make things clear

Edit:

I play Gargos myself :smiley:

1 Like

Following this line of “X character is annoying to fight”, I have a question:

For Gargos, which character it’s annoying to fight?

In my book, for example, Aganos and Kim Wu are good against Gargos.

Opinions? Anyone else more?

Gargos is good vs Gargos :smiley:

Seriously.

No Spinal Arrow Shenanigans due to qcf+mk, no portal Punch pressure - he has to block after one on block.
His sweep is perfect vs Minions and Armor.

Jago is very good vs Gargos too imo. His windkick and Shadow Fireball is good vs Minions. He can punish stuff with a DP. His upclose pressure is a serious problem for Gargos.

I currently think Gargos broken. But only because of two bugs he has.

1. The portal punch active frames.

2. Gargos being able to perform another action after a second consecutive reckoning.

I don’t have much trouble when fighting him with Kim Wu since I can dragon kick him before either of those annoyances can come out. But some characters can’t AA that effectively or get in as fast.

Also, heavy reckoning into instinct cancel is the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen.

If it was a bug that means they sure didn’t do a good job of patching it!
Getting knocked around in a combo loop by TronBonne a good fighting game does not make. Personally I wasn’t fond of some of the character roster either. In fact my experience was so bad. I practically hate Dante and Virgil just as a whole and I don’t want a damn thing to do with them.

I usually stick by the notion that anybody can beat anything, but the balancing was so bad in my experience that doesn’t even matter with MVC3.

Lol was one of the worse things I’ve ever played. I’m glad it’s gone if it is.

Also while I do admit Gargo’s Portal Punches can be a problem I feel they have a big draw back though: lack of damage and aside from the hit box being a bit too long than it needs to. If I could fix maybe one tiny thing: The portal punches gets a 2 frame longer start up to make up for it. Or reduce the tracking thing a bit more. Granted high mobile character can easily get out of the punches. Obviously slower character will have a bit more trouble but some of those slower characters either have armor or can zone.

As a Gargos player right now I can tell you the characters I have the most trouble with are characters who have high mobility.

@SonicDolphin117 from my experience I’ve never been able to pull off a 3rd attack after a 2nd reckoning. Generally I never bother because if they’re guard’s up I’m likely not going to hit them a third time.

The devs say Gargos works best in an arch. Which means if you wanna beat gargos, get your anti-airs ready and keep at arms reach or: If you have a good rushdown character beat him up close.

I see your point, but also take in consideration that Gargos its invulnerable only in his way up. When he gets out the portal over his opponent, you can hit him before he has time to use his instinct. A well placed antiair wins here. For example, in mirror match, I can use s.HK and he will be hit.

Still, I see your point, normally it’s a good business for Gargos. It’s hard to react in the heat of a fight, and maybe even if you see it, you are being punished, poked by a minion,and stuff like that. But IMO it’s not a broken point. Portal punch eternal hitbox its, indeed.

Wow, lots of fun sidebar conversations going on in this thread. Here’s my fun lightning round responses to good stuff:

@OGZvolkan - you are wrong. Gargos is not a “pay to win” character, and he hasn’t been marketed as an OP character to try to get people to buy him. That’s not the model the game follows, and there is ample evidence to support this. Including the release of many hyped characters that initially appeared underpowered. They make a nice trailer to show how awesome the character is in order to entice potential buyers. No one with any sense is going to think that releasing an OP character, then letting people get defeated by that OP character is a good way to get them to buy that character. It’s simply not the case.

@xSkeletalx or another mod - I know people abused the title editing powers, but can one of you please change the title to this thread so I don’t have to look at the typo in “annoying” anymore? It’s driving me nuts…

@Skryba and @FengShuiEnergy SFV is “simple” for beginners because you can see how the game works and all you really need to know to get started and beat your friends is punch, kick and block. But the game difficulty ramps up as you incorporate specials, combos, spacing and “footsies” punishes etc. It’s a simple concept but very deep. KI has a lot of assistance tools designed to help new players. But the combo system is a lot to deal with. So, they are both at least trying to be beginner friendly. Which game is “easier” for beginners is really a loaded question. If they are playing against other beginners both games are easy. Playing against pros both games are hard. My own opinion is that KI is more intimidating, but really opens up for advanced beginners or intermediate players. Whereas SFV is much harder to break out of the noob bubble. But it’s all pretty subjective.

4 Likes

All I’ve ever seen as a follow up from a second reckoning is a double jump. But that’s enough to throw off my punishes, and the devs said you’re not supposed to be able to do ANYTHING after a second reckoning which means it shouldn’t be there.

Make it whiff and punish it.

3 Likes

Which characters do you main? Aside from what I assume is Glacius: You can throw out a hail and hold it in the air if tey attack again. If you’re Cinder I suggest a light trailblazer.

I would agree. A heavy reckoning into Instinct Cancel would be a bad idea considering grounded heavy attacks can set them up for a serious combo, Or hit them once just in cae they try anything.

I think my brother’s wising up cause when I have him down while he’s using stone-skin he sheds it but what’s fun about that is I know this, so block the attack and hit them hard.

Unless my opponent isn’t expecting it, I’d never use stone-skin up close

Of course I COULD do that, but it’s just difficult to react in time, especially when you’re sitting still due to fear of minions or portal punches.

Guess that’s on me, though.[quote=“JEFFRON27, post:119, topic:10812”]
You can throw out a hail and hold it in the air if tey attack again.
[/quote]

If he does a second reckoning, he’ll hit me and the hail at the same time, and the trade will be in his favor. But that’s not the issue I’m talking about here.