Gargos is annoying to fight

That’s so

You disappoint me, infil.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Like father like daughter.

1 Like

@GalacticGeek You are the resident Aganos player right? Can you help this guy?

If by spam, you mean projectiles, there’s quite a few options:

• shadow ruin ( :arrow_down::arrow_lower_left::arrow_left::heavy_plus_sign::fist::heavy_plus_sign::fist: )

• holding shadow natural disaster ( :arrow_down::arrow_lower_right::arrow_right::heavy_plus_sign::athletic_shoe::heavy_plus_sign::athletic_shoe: )

• finger-flick ( L:fist: )

• anti-air finger-flick ( :arrow_left::heavy_plus_sign:L:fist: )

• low finger-flick ( :arrow_down::heavy_plus_sign:L:fist: )

• jumping finger-flick ( L:fist: during jump )

• a well timed natural disaster jump ( :arrow_up: or :arrow_upper_left: or :arrow_upper_right: during :arrow_down::arrow_lower_right::arrow_right::heavy_plus_sign::athletic_shoe: )

• absorb the hit with chunk armor ( to gain chunk armor, if you don’t have any: :arrow_left::heavy_plus_sign:H:fist: )

• well timed payload assault ( :arrow_down::arrow_lower_right::arrow_right::heavy_plus_sign::fist:; L hits mid then low, M flies in an arc, and H spreads out )

• thrown peacemaker ( payload assault while holding peacemaker )

• jump ( :arrow_up: or :arrow_upper_right: or :arrow_upper_left: )

• block ( :arrow_left: or :arrow_lower_left: )

PLEASE NOTE: All moves listed here assume you are on the left, facing right. If you are on the right, facing left, then you will need to reverse all left-right directions above. :wink:

EDITER’S NOTE: Hmm, didn’t see the rest of the thread to realize the topic. Silly me! To avoid the portal punches, please see block, jump, thrown peacemaker, well timed payload assault, absorb the hit with chunk armor, holding shadow natural disaster, and shadow ruin, listed above. All are options for the portal punches; some are good for creating openings, some avoid the move entirely, some discourage the opponent from using portal punches, and others simply punish the opponent for using portal punches outright. Furthermore, not listed above, you can also use natural disaster (the non-shadow version) after a blocked portal punch to get in closer for a potential punish.

1 Like

Hate to be that guy, but shadow ruin is QCB + KK, not QCF + PP. I’m sure that’s what you meant, though.

I would treat the portal punches like Kan-Ra’s Spike, since it’s pretty similar in startup and safety (all the portal punches are negative, like Spike). If you have a plan of attack when you’re full screen away from Kan-Ra, you could try to apply similar things here. Shadow ruin works pretty good but meter is precious so you don’t always have this option. You could try to guess with regular natural disaster + up… it sucks if you’re wrong though. I don’t think any other thing works that well. You can never chunk up, you can never throw rocks (not sure why you would want to, from full screen, in this matchup), and I imagine jumping over the medium one is really difficult for Aganos.

I imagine the lingering hitboxes on portal punch hurt Aganos quite a bit. He might struggle to get around them more than he’s supposed to in this patch.

The one thing almost nobody pointed and really impress me its how fast can Gargos gain meter only using portal punch, specially with minions pestering around. This is also valid for the defense. As Aganos, if Gargos gets the distance, block until getting enough meter for a shadow ruin. If the Gargos player is smart, he will stop. Otherwise, punish him hard with shadow ruin.

Also, IMO, Aganos has the tools to mantain a good fight against Gargos. Aganos’ it’s really comfortable just in the spot where Gargos’ isn’t, the range of Aganos’ sweep. If chunked, Gargos’ only tool is sweep, and if blocked, he is in problems. Other options either are risky(Dash into throw and stuff like that, which Aganos can expect and anticipate), are a punish(the Aganos player must commit a mistake), unsafe, or use meter.

For Gargos, shadow oblivion it’s very valuable as “de-chunk” tool. If he has meter, Aganos could lose all his chunks if he does a bad move.

2 Likes

[quote=“Dayv0, post:46, topic:10812”]
Also, IMO, Aganos has the tools to mantain a good fight against Gargos. Aganos’ it’s really comfortable just in the spot where Gargos’ isn’t, the range of Aganos’ sweep. If chunked, Gargos’ only tool is sweep, and if blocked, he is in problems. Other options either are risky(Dash into throw and stuff like that, which Aganos can expect and anticipate), are a punish(the Aganos player must commit a mistake), unsafe, or use meter.
[/quote]This is why I like this matchup. It’s a battle of titans in every sense of the word.

[quote=“Dayv0, post:46, topic:10812”]
For Gargos, shadow oblivion it’s very valuable as “de-chunk” tool. If he has meter, Aganos could lose all his chunks if he does a bad move.
[/quote]While it won’t remove chunks against the golem when he jumps, it’s VERY effective as an anti-air - it tracks perfectly in that case. So be careful when in the air if the shadow lord has meter.

[quote=“Infilament, post:45, topic:10812”]
I imagine the lingering hitboxes on portal punch hurt Aganos quite a bit. He might struggle to get around them more than he’s supposed to in this patch.
[/quote]They do hurt, but this fight will become much easier once it’s fixed (hopefully sooner than later - like another mini-update like they did with Glacius and Kan Ra; It’ll suck if I have to endure it for a whole month or more).

I did know that, but thanks for noticing the error; easily fixed. :wink:

1 Like

Imagine a game where you can only dominate or lose and combos don’t requite much thought and practice. Also imagine a game where you can just learn one good combo and win the game. And te only redeeming factor is the fatalities.

That’s MKX.

Also as hard as it may seem the punches don’t really do much damage and I’d suggest you fight Gargos from standing mid-range because if he’s not battling you from the air or in your face you have the advantage.

2 Likes

Thread title: “Gargos is annoying to fight”

…that’s because he’s currently a largely broken character, until they fix his portal-punch bug.

No that is not the title. I do not know where you got that from. It clearly says “Gargos is anyying to fight”

1 Like

I was paraphrasing! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I gotta say right now playing Gargos vs Gargos, my experience has been rather boring. It seems like it breaks down to just a race to see who can throw out a LP portal punch with the best timing to get a combo going. The portal punches pin you down so effectively any attempt to do anything different ends in a d*** punch or a hard knockdown.

BTW OP, you might want to edit your topic header.
You spelled “annoying” wrong. (Not trying to be a grammar naz*i, just being helpful…I make typos all the time myself.)

Nah, he’ll still be annoying to fight even after they fix it. That triple jump is the devil to anti-air, and full screen stuff is always annoying in a character.

1 Like

As Gargos,I hate being full screen. That is why when I land a light portal punch full screen,I immediatly rush in and command grab them.

1 Like

And I’d love to fight more Gargos’ who play like that. Unfortunately, I seem to mostly run into the ones who start the fight by preemptively trying to triple jump away to the other end of the screen. Gargos full screen with a minion or two out is really annoying to deal with. :unamused:

3 Likes

[quote=“STORM179, post:55, topic:10812”]
Gargos full screen with a minion or two out is really annoying to deal with. :unamused:
[/quote]What do you expect? He’s an evil megalomaniac and all around arrogant SoB. He cares not about you or anyone. He will happily annoy you to death and laugh at you as he does it.

Not for Aganos - the golem can wait to finger-flick as he comes down or hit him with a shadow natural disaster on a crossup attempt, or simply be preemptive and hit him with a jumping natural disaster before the shadow lord gets enough height (since his extra jumps are rather slow). Another alternative for Aganos is to roll under him with the natural disaster only to jump back into him as he comes back down; even if it whiffs, it’ll ruin the positioning the gargoyle was likely hoping to get.

1 Like

Don’t wanna turn this into an MKX thread but what you’re saying is kind of crazy. There are plenty of older games (games that people enjoyed and still enjoy) that were far more broken and unbalanced than MKX. Even with the ■■■■■■ up PC version I got a hell of a lot more of my money’s worth out of MKX than I did from SFV.

Knock him down.

Which is good for Aganos. I don’t play Aganos :smirk:

Not my problem. :wink:

You should use ARIA. She solves everyones problem.