For Honor

I’m glad you’re enjoying it. I’m still getting killed by things I can’t explain, or counter. Some of this is due to lousy connections and some of it is due to being paired against obvious practices teams of four who played the beta and are coordinating, while I’m stuck in a group of randoms with maybe my one noob friend.

One of the samurai has a three hit overhead, the third of which is unblockable and seems to do enormous damage. What is an effective counter to this? I can’t consistently interrupt any of these hits - especially the third which seems to plow right through attacks that would normally stun. Dodging isn’t effective either…

As an aside, sorry I couldn’t stick around last night. I’d love to join up but I had to get to bed.

1 Like

I’m going to assume you’re talking about the Kensei here; for the record I believe that chains do not need to be aimed at the same arc, so while his unblockable attack is always a top arc attack, the other two might not need to be. I don’t know if you’re still playing the Conqueror, but the first two attacks of that chain are able to be blocked or parried. The unblockable overhead can still be parried (which will cost the Kensei a pretty large chunk of stamina and leave you for a free hit or guard break typically) or dodged, though those require more specific timing. If you’re playing the Conqueror still, his “all-guard” shield stance should make the first two hits easy to block as well.

Not every attack is interruptible, and some are only interruptible by heavy attacks, so keep that in mind. Sometimes the better option is to defend and punish versus trying to counter-poke.

I know I sound like a broken record at this point but the way to improve at this game is practice practice practice. Learn what works in particular matchups and what your opponent’s character wants to do, as well as how your opponent is playing the character. I faced a Peacekeeper last night who was extremely grabby (because the PK can stab you to apply Bleed during a grab), and also liked to use the forward-dash bleed stab.

I was able to adjust my play when fighting this particular player, as I am familiar with both of those moves and why they are strategically useful. I focused on teching the grabs as well as blocking high, and continuously poked them with lights, applying my own Bleed, and before they knew it they were eating a heavy attack and getting executed.

On the contrary, when I have been playing AI modes to complete my Contracts and Orders, I tend to struggle against the Conqueror. All the Conqueror AI needs to do to beat me is block while charging up heavy swings (hold RT); after parrying me or blocking me a single hit takes off close to a third of my Nobushi’s health! I need to work on that matchup in particular.

Typically games like this are best played with others who you can communicate with, but that isn’t always the case. I played with a group of guys last night after being invited by someone I used to play Gears UA with, but even though we were a four-person group we lost more than we won. We had a lot of difficulties where people were not calling out enemies (in particular when they let enemies run from them during Elimination or Deathmatch modes) and swinging wildly around teammates, which caused several teammate deaths or staggered a teammate, then allowing the enemy that teammate was attacking to get away or complete a revive.

I expect I will be on tonight should anyone want to play.

I’m packing my bags for a week long work trip, but I will try to be in tonight.

I have a lot of difficulty parrying. The timing seems to be very tight, and I’m not confident that consistent parrying is possible online. This was a challenge for me playing the Conqueror and I have given that up (at least for now). I’m just using the Warden.

1 Like

I spent about 30 minutes yesterday getting block/parry timings down with a friend. If you have a friend to play with, I think it would be a good idea to jump in a first to 99 with 10 minute rounds just to practice a bit of everything. I managed to notice an improvement in my blocking online, as well as consistently landing parries for some easy punishes.

For Parry timing, watch the red attack indicator; you need to Parry when it flashes to have the correct timing.

Got the game last night.
If you wanna play at all, co-op campaign, Elim, Brawl, 1v1 etc., I’ll be down to play. Just shoot me a message if I’m on.
Gamertag: MathAmphetameme

Pardon me for not going through whole topic, three questions:

1.Does this game has combat depth satisfying for fighting games junkie?
2.Is it well optimized? (aka will it run at potato?)
3.Does this game look like having a decent lifespan on PC? Ubisoft games are known from having zero support and dying quickly.

Who knew this game was actually fun? I should have played the beta. So far I’m having a blast… except for when I get pushed into fire. lol Now if I can just decide which class I like best.

I get the theory but I can’t get the actual Parry more than 1/5 or 1/10th of the time. I’ll see if I can work on it.

http://xboxclips.com/xSkeletalx/3478029f-46cf-4c62-8305-00827999f699

I always hoped I’d pull this off one day, but this guy had to be PISSED.

1 Like

Very nice!

I’m not much for online multiplayer as I usually suck and die too much for it to be fun. Is single player mode worthwhile at all?

@JEFFRON27 is playing it right this minute as we speak.

The samurai especially draws my interest but I’ve bought too many games where I ploughed through the two hour single player and then tried multiplayer and got spanked unmercifully because I’m not L33T enough for online hardcore gamers, lol.

I’ve only been playing this for a few days but I can tell you that from what I see, all multiplayer modes let you play against bots if you choose. Team Deathmatch as an example allows four humans to play against 4 bots. You get the idea hopefully, and you can also level up with xp that way. For me personally, I’m enjoying the game so far. Just throwing out a little info…

I’ve been very impressed with single player. If you are looking for a 50 hour experience this isn’t it, but for a single player campaign built around a game designed for multiplayer I would say it is very, very good.

This game, wow…I didn’t even know I acually wanted a game like this. Then I played the Beta, and Pre-orderd after only 6 hours of play.

The only things I don’t like is fighting people with flails, they almost have no stun when ya parry and they attack fast and switch their gaurds fast. I have no real sure fire way hot to beat them yet, cause Gaurd Breaking’s messy for me right now. Anybody got any tips for them as a Kensi, Warden or Law-Bringer?

That and it turns out this game COULD of had split-screen but it was dropped to enhance the features. I felt like they could of at least had both cause if they did, that would of been amazing cause then my brother could join me in battle. It leaves a mark but this would of actually of made me depressed a bit if I didn’t love this game already. Lol

I loved the story especially when it talked about an interesting subject: “The concept of Humans only being a war like species or are they capable of actually coexisting peacefully?”.

I wouldn’t call it the most philisophical story but I enjoyed it. You basically got a good hard look at everything from different sides and while the villain isn’t the most 3D of all things I have to say; if there was ever a top 10 list for game characters that troll, she would be in the top 5 for me, lol. I would of liked to know why she thinks this way but I’m sure that’s something for the next game.

Onto the Multiplayer I’m enjoying it. I don’t have all the heroes yet though, cause I’m saving up for that Pit-Viper Kensei outfit. The Kensei is currently my main class and I played the heck out of that one in the beta. However I do like the Warden and just last night I discoverd the joys of being the Lawbringer, even though my first time was terrible cause I didn’t know jack-■■■■ about moves till I practiced a bit. I wouldn’t call myself “great” or “good” or even “gud” yet but hey this is a game I like enough to keep growing with it.

Only thing I’d like to see for a sequel: Aztec Warriors, Persian Warriors, and Split Screen.

I really like the game but the servers are terrible, at the moment I seem to be kicked off about half my matches which is especially annoying since you don’t get your xp and coins unless the match is finished.

Anyway my mains at the moment are Conquer, Berserker, Orchi and Valkyrie( even though I suck at her).

I have to say I agree.

1 Like

Yeah and it doesn’t have dedicated servers which for a 8th gen multiplayer focused game is pretty disappointing.