For Honor

PVP the game is unplayable right now. Started a Dominion PVP it was me and 7 bots. People started joining and dropping off randomly until it crashed. Then waited a shitload of time for another PVP Dominion to start and it crashed straight away.

Check out the information for the Season 2 update! Weā€™re less than two weeks away at this point.

@TheNinjaOstrich think youā€™ll drop the Nobushi and Shugoki when this comes out?

Iā€™ve found true love with the Valkyrie. Sheā€™s sooooooooooooo much better than Shugoki, come on.

Yo Iā€™m playing Shinobi

Iā€™ll keep the Nobushi, I love her playstyle.

But Shinobi looks REALLY interesting. Iā€™ll look into it.

And I realized itā€™s on my birthday too.

Looks like Iā€™m going broke lol :smile:

I will be looking to add the Centurion to my playable roster, as he looks to potentially play like a more aggressive, less defensive Warlord, and that might make him an easy transition.

Shinobi will be one to try out but is not one I want to focus on.

Looking forward to finding out about the later classes too, I think the possibilities sre incredibly exciting.

1 Like

There will be a live stream today (and a larger one on 5/15) showing off and discussing new stuff coming with the patch, including changes.

Itā€™s happening at 12PM EST, but as Iā€™m at work I will have to read the text notes one of the FH forum members always takes.

Unfortunately I do not have a twitch channel to link you, just search for For Honor and the stream titled ā€œWarriorā€™s Den.ā€

1 Like

The Centurion looks fun butā€¦ only the gladius and no shield? The gladius was a sidearm for the standard spear+shield combo. Seems weird to block giant axes with what is essentially a short sword.

Text listing (still in progress) and link to the stream

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1665073-Warrior-s-Den-May-11th

@TempusChaoti did you ever end up picking up the game and playing it? What do you think about the general design, and do you feel (as I do) that it is essentially itā€™s own unique genre of fighting game?

EDIT: Movelists available here.

https://pvplive.net/c/for-honor-shinobi-and-centurion-movesets-and-season-pass-outfits-revealed

I did not pick it up. I played a lot of the betas, but the lack of a good single player experience pushed me away from the game. While Iā€™m a huge fan of the game, and think it has a wonderful look to it, I donā€™t have the free time to ā€œgit gudā€ on a lot of fighting games these days - between projects at work, family, and having to current on just about everything thatā€™s released on multiple systems, Iā€™ve gotten a lot more choosy about where my personal free time for gaming goes when I decide to really dive in to something.

The game has a ton of potential, IMO, not just for the game but for opening up what a fighting game means to the larger audience. The fighting looks great, the character classes are (mostly) interesting to me, and I can see room for more team-based games like this in the FGC (Phantom Dust too!) in the future.

I follow the meta developments and the ongoing discussions on the game, its MTX philosophies, and how the developers talk about it because thatā€™s all interesting to me as a developer and someone that interacts with press, but thatā€™s about it at this point.

3 Likes

Thanks for the insight; the game has captured my interest pretty much entirely, and I find it very intriguing to see what people who work on fighting games think about it. The forums for FH are incredibly full of nonsense, as there are a lot of people who treat it as a button masher or slash-em-up and donā€™t understand fighting games, so most of the posts and discussions are in shambles or lack the sort of breakdown detail that weā€™re used to seeing in the tech threads here.

The free-roam aspects of the game (as well as the three-arc system) really add a lot of new development options, at least from a non-developer, fan perspective.

Finished watching the entire Livestream video.

Glad to see that the Shilowbli (Inside Joke) is a technical character. Seems fun to dash in and out in a dance of death. Itā€™s like a rubber band effect while fighting. Seems really cool. Only thing is I canā€™t take hits, due to having the lowest health in the game. Gonna try him out for sure.

Centurion looks amazing! Lots of hard hitting moves, and he seems like he will be a threat if he can get that vortex going. Excited for the 16th. :smiley:

I canā€™t wait to see his walkthrough when I get home; from reading the bullet points he sounds really interesting to play, and Iā€™m hoping my assumptions about similarity with my Warlord will turn out to be true.

As you have seen me play, and youā€™ve seen the Centurion, how similar do you think the two characters play?

@BigBadAndy are we ever going to see you on the battlefield again? I feel like itā€™s been forever since we played.

I think they have similarities, but the Centurion seems like more your character. But, we will see.

To be fair you can be successful in FH just mashing. It really depends on the situation you find yourself in.

I actually have my doubts about this. Obviously it depends on what you mean by ā€œsuccessful,ā€ and ā€œjust mashing,ā€ but I think the game is a bit of a victim of impossible expectations. If you approach it like a fighting game you will see a lot to like, on paper, and then most people develop a series of complaints based around ā€œdegenerateā€ strategies and mismatches between classes. But honestly, I think For Honor is a team fighting game. No one would look at NBA2k18 and criticize it if the one on one mode was unbalanced. They would look at the team game and keep the individual matchups in that context.

People are free to disagree but the ā€œrealā€ game in For Honor is a team game and pet of that game is map control strategy and part of it is learning to fight to live rather than fight to win - so that your team mates might show up to help you. Some of the game is following gang up tactics so that you never find yourself alone etc. some of it is oicking which enemy player you should go after based on the strengths and weaknesses of your character.

So, keeping in mind that ultimately I much less in to the game than you are, I would just point out that I think For Honor is by design less dependent on individual excellence in one onone fighting. But that doesnā€™t mean yku can succeed without skill. Itā€™s just a different type of skill.

Not really feeling Shinobi. Never been a fan of ninjas and any Eastern weaponry/armor. Not really digging his flashy moves too. Iā€™m gonna enjoy taking advantage of his low health while people are inexperienced with him. I think Shugoki may be able to one hit kill him with a full charged heavy, so thatā€™ll be fun to test out.

Centurion looks fun though. I think I saw something about him being an assassin/tank hybrid, so Iā€™ll finally have an assassin character to play.

I think weā€™re agreeing. The duel mode is pretty pointless to me - just turtling and 10% of the depth of something like KI.

The real meat of the game is in the team modes, where the different scenarios presented (outnumbered both for and against, distance to boosts, points situation, etc) is where real skill comes in. This is why the nerf mid-season to sprint speed boost and revenge boosts through gear was terrible for my Shugoki (rep 23). It meant I had no flexibility in team modes: if I was headed to one objective, I couldnā€™t really change my mind. So if Iā€™m sprinting like an oil tanker to an objective that has 2 enemies there, Iā€™m screwed. Even if I turn back they can chase me and kill me 2v1 easily. Before I could either sprint speed away to another objective and/or go in and try to have my revenge turn the tide. This part of the game is what makes FH interesting to me beyond a mere fighting game.

When it comes to the actual fighting part yes, you can be successful mashing as thatā€™s how the game is designed for some classes + matchmaking doesnā€™t seem to care that much about pings and lag anyway so thereā€™s a limit to how cute and technical you can get. This might change once they normalise stance block speed in all classes, but right now in consoles over wifi forget about blocking a peacekeeper or a valkā€™s light attacks.

1 Like

I definitely disagree on this; itā€™s definitely true that the game is designed towards 4v4 modes as much as it is duels, but I think youā€™re discrediting how skill really comes into effect. I love the 1v1 aspects, even in modes like Dominion, but when playing a 4v4 mode you have to accept that 1v1s are never a guaranteed thing. Yes, there are certain strategies which people dislike, but what fighting game doesnā€™t have that? For example, one of the things people hate about my Warlord is that he has a very long range push/throw and can dump you into hazards easier than many other classes; but there are definitely ways to avoid it, and I personally prefer slugging it out over ledging my opponents. Not to say that I wonā€™t ever do it (because I certainly do sometimes) but that isnā€™t my end-all-be-all strategy while playing him.

Letā€™s use KI as an example. Right now, many Thunder players use his Sammamish and its followups as a heavy part of their gameplan. Many non-Thunder players donā€™t like to go up against it. But Iā€™ve seen plenty of great Thunder play where Sammamish is the garnish rather than the whole meal.

When in a 1v1 in For Honor, you definitely want to think about spacing; looking out for hazards or forcing the enemy to fight in a position where it is favorable to you (such as with their back to a wall) is definitely something which can help you out, even if only on a mindgame level. It is definitely not required to always gang up on an enemy (2 against 1 for example) and you definitely do not need to fight ā€œto liveā€, you can absolutely fight that opponent for the kill. This can be accomplished by good defense, good offensive pressure, or a mixture of both.

What you do want to do is avoid ending up in situations where you are outnumbered needlessly, and sometimes that requires positioning differently. Even as my Warlord (who I am the most comfortable playing) I will sometimes cede a point Iā€™m holding to the enemy because multiple enemies show up at once to take it. Sometimes I leave the point to head straight to my team, and other times I move just off of the point to somewhere the enemy canā€™t surround me or will need to stand near hazards they might be bumped off into.

Iā€™d definitely like to discuss your thoughts more, but I also recommend you join me and Ostrich for some games at some point, maybe next week after the patch? You mentioned having more fun playing with someone than by yourself, and I think youā€™re simply at a bit of a plateau and might need some assistance in getting past it.

By the way, they have mentioned that the Conqueror specifically is strong right now, but that itā€™s a problem that he only has one ā€œreally viable strategyā€ meaning that Conquerors have to go for shield bash loops in 1v1 situations. They are looking into changes for the future to help with that, though.