Fighting Game Complainers

I’m a Killer Instinct fan that just left a popular streamer’s Twitch channel where the discussion came up that Killer Instinct was no longer “fun.” I for one, find it amusing, that some gamers are so arrogant to think that their opinions matter so much, that they believe developers should listen to them when it comes to game balancing, patches, nerfs etc; With the exception of serious game flaws, e.g. MKX and SFV’s horrible launch netcodes, I think some gamers are just self-important crybabies. Out of the six million people that play KI on a near monthly basis, you honestly think that YOUR singular opinion matters? LOL. I feel KI is a near flawless game. Could it use more costumes, maybe, could we use an arcade ladder, I’d like to see it, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to get on Twitch and whine and complain about how KI should be scrapped and MS and Iron Galaxy should start over from scratch because I don’t like a feature. Some people have been whining since Season 3 started, “Oh, I don’t like Flipout/Stagger,” “I wanna see [insert character] get nerfs/buffs,” “I don’t wanna pay $10 for one character!” and on and on. Dude, if you don’t want to pay for it, DON’T! If you don’t like Flipout/Stagger, then try not to get hit buy it so something, If you don’t like how you keep losing, then learn a different character!

I confess, I’m a complainer in real life, but not about games in the way that the people I am talking about are complaining. How are you going to claim that your opinion on what you don’t like about KI should be the standard for how IG and MS adjust the game go forward on Twitch, where people can be influenced by it and say to themselves, “Yeah this game is broken. I’m not going to play it.” People do listen to streamers, and when the crybabies get online and go H.A.M. on their dislike for KI, the streamers fans may be turned off from it. That risks the future of KI going forward. Some people will say, by complaining, that’s the only way things change, and I totally agree with that sentiment, BUT, when you complain about things that are personal dislikes while the vast, silent majority, may see nothing wrong, you’re voice becomes destructive. Some of these streamers need to learn to temper their grievances, or silently go play another game that they find more enjoyable. If these people keep using their Twitch streams, to voice their biases, and I feel, completely unjustified and unfair critiques, we risk never seeing a sequel to a series that has already seen a 17-year hiatus.

People, please be careful of how you air your grievances. The forums are a good place, but don’t take to Twitch and start calling the developers tone-deaf because you haven’t seen a change implemented. Bad word of mouth is just as effective as positive buzz and so-called fans of this fighting game could end up seeing their negativity killing the series entirely. As I said, outside of a completely game breaking bug, just deal with whatever it is you find unpleasant, and if they developers see it as being unfair, or the vast majority of the community agrees than maybe it should and will be addressed. But for some of these people, they’re just arrogant whiners that need to just STFU (pardon my French)!

Here’s hoping for a Killer Instinct Season 4. That is all.

15 Likes

this game rules and i think the devs are doing a fine job taking care of it and fostering a community around it, taking feedback and using that to improve the game for the majority of people who are playing it. KI is one of the most balanced and fun games to play that has come out of this generation, which is especially surprising to me considering my initial low expectations. every character is cool and unique and has something that makes them fun to play and difficult to fight against, which isn’t a very easy accomplishment in a fighting game.

typically, for every entitled vocal complainer, there is 40 people happily enjoying the game. so while some people being jerks might deter some people from playing and enjoying the game, people praising it can cause it to check it out too. maybe we need to be more vocal about how much we like stuff :wink:

6 Likes

Not necessarily a full ‘season 4’ but I’d love it if they decide to concentrate on better costumes/ accessories/ arcade ladder/ shadow slots/ program the game to where dedicated matches happen that make the player commit to a match instead of 6 disconnects because a level 2 player is scared to try a match with my level 50 Kim wu

1 Like

Are you talking about Ranked? It is not your lv 50 that is the problem. It is your Killer rank. I watch my son fight killer rank all the time, and he is low bronze. He gets mad at me because I will not let him quit. I can see how fighting several high ranked people in a row could tire a person to the point the quit a match. I am not saying it is right, but how many times to they need to gf eter destroyed before they are matched correctly. Now before you say “they need to get better”, not everyone wants to spend a month or longer in pratice mode just to play a few matches online every once in a while.

@EarthRavenous16

I would bet that I could name this streamer with 2 guesses, but I won’t do it in this post. I have always said that these streams do just as much damage as they do good.

1 Like

Heck yeah right on OP!

No I’m not speaking of ranked.

I’m talking about any given match in multiplayer when the opponent may seem to see they are about to fight my high level character after we are about to choose the music and stages.

A lot of people disconnect before the fight starts.

I have to agree with you @EarthRavenous16

I know that they say that complaints are necessary but not if they kill the game.

Most of these complaints also stem from the game not being like the KI they thought of in their head. Heck even SFV and MKX have some the thing sI don’t like abou them.

MKX -relies too much on guests, and SF-V doesn’t really appeal to me in gameplay. Not to mention of all of these game sKI had a decent launch. (well, MKX did to).

Also you know whats funny. People use the whole complaining about complainer argument, but their complaints about thse complainers is because the complainers could destroy the game. Even kill the franchise.

1 Like

Okay so… according to you, you saying this:

… doesn’t matter. You’re a gamer, this is your opinion, but your opinion doesn’t matter. According to yourself, that is.

Remember when I made top 8 all the time and even won tournaments back in S1 and S2? Well, I don’t any more because KEITS! screwed me over with all these changes. Even though I’m barely in my twenties I’m too set in my ways to change. Nobody at school and my mum won’t listen to me bitching about KI, but thank Gargos I have my loyal stream viewers that will listen to me.

And if they disagree, I’ll kick’em.

8 Likes

Ha ha that is so funny and true.

That sucks that they are just dropping matches in multiplayer. There is a setting they could use, so they wouldn’t fight anyone above their rank.

1 Like

No my opinion doesn’t matter because it’s an opinion. What should matter to developers is if the MAJORITY of KI players are having fun by logging in every month and playing. KI just before Season 3’s release had 6 million unique visitors and I believe it was announced that they’d crossed 7 million unique visitors post Season 3 launch. Yet despite the addition of more content like Ultimates and skin packs some competitive KI players and streamers continue to whine about the game in a very destructive manner like not having more costumes or stagger/flipout. Developers should listen to the whole community not just a very vocal minority that keeps wanting the game to revert back to and earlier form. Negative buzz is just as effective as positive buzz and some of these streamer run the risk of burying this franchise.

3 Likes

You make it sound like that the devs are gods who can’t do anything wrong, and everyone who says anything bad about them are “killing the franchise”.

If something doesn’t work well in the game, then sharing said feedback to the devs is not “burying” anything. We’re all wanting the franchise to flurrish and be awesome, but we all have our own idea of what that is. Sometimes the devs hit that, other times they miss.

You cannot shush complainers. You cannot tell people to stop sharing their opinions. And complaining about people complaining makes you no better than them.

Killer Instinct is not perfect, and it is not considered the best fighting game by the majority. Those who like KI ARE THE MINORITY! And those who praise it as the best out there are just a vocal minority.

KI isn’t bad, I love the game, I love the franchise… but it has a way to go to become the best. A few costumes and such things won’t fix anything though, and yes, some of those who complain are indeed forcusing on some of the wrong things and spouting a lot of sh#t. And those who follow their opinion are just stupid sheep who can’t make up an opinion of their own.

The devs aren’t stupid though. They listen to the feedback, and then they go through the mill “Can we use this or not”. And most of the sh#t these complainers spout is useless, but there are SOME feedback that they can use. And IG has been very open about recieving feedback, that’s why there’s this forum, that’s why they are our there talking to people at events where KI is playable, etc… And everyone are allowed to give their feedback, whatever it may be and however they want to.

So you like KI and think it is the best game. GOOD! Enjoy it then! Have fun! Go play the game and have a good time! But don’t tell people who don’t like the game or aspects of the game to shut up! They are entitled to their opinions as much as you are. And you do indeed seem very entitled.

It’s become a trend, I’ve noticed… that those who like the game want to seem more important than those who do not. You aren’t though. You’re just one person and you’re no important than the rest. And it is arrogant to think otherwise.

2 Likes

A better statement to make would be “Be constructive”. Here, it just sounds like you’re trying to stifle any complaints people may have.

Doesn’t mean that those dislikes don’t have some valid ground to be changed. A lot of suggestions have been taken from these forums, and even if they’re not implemented i’m sure the devs take some ideas from here and bounce them around to see if they would work in the game.

And that is how its done on the forums, look at the regulars and you’ll see proper conduct. If you only focus on the lot that come in every once in a while when something is broken, then you won’t see all the good this forum has.
I know you may be trying with the best of intentions, but in talking about complainers, you’ve become one yourself. And to quote you yourself,

Don’t respond to everything you see. Engage with people who have an open mind and are looking to debate and shake hands afterwards.

I say this not knowing which streamer the OP is talking about. This comment goes out to all streamers (and stream viewers) for whom it applies.

The complaining in the KI community is so egregious that I have begun to disengage more and more. I now spend most of my time watching SFV streams (a game I have several substantial problems with and haven’t played since Evo last year), because the players at least want to be there. I spend time watching KoF14 and GGXrd Revelator streams, two games I don’t own and haven’t played (but maybe I will one day), because the fanbase is so excited to play matches that the happiness and positivity just rubs off on me. They are so happy about their game that they can’t wait to get home and stream or talk about it, and I want to be around people like that. Meanwhile, I tune into KI streams very rarely (a game I do like quite a bit).

Let me make it very clear; at this point, I don’t even care if 100% of a person’s complaints about KI are valid. Maybe the new counter breakers are stupid. Maybe the game is the most unbalanced it’s ever been and every character is fuc.king stupid garbage trash. Maybe the game is buggier than other fighting games. I could respectfully discuss why you are overexaggerating, but sure, I’ll just grant you the fact that KI is a superb piece of sh.it. I seriously don’t care anymore. Either you play because you like the game and are happy playing it, or you should play something else that makes you happy, for the sake of everyone involved.

People say stream numbers are down for KI because the game is worse than it used to be. Let me be clear again; stream numbers are down because I don’t want to spend my free time watching someone hate their life. We are beyond talking about basic fighting game salt here, or occasional frustration over some wonky interaction; we’re talking about a pattern that lasts for months (and now maybe years) at a time. Whether the game is worse or not is, honestly, completely irrelevant anymore. I have better things to do than be around perpetually negative people, and you should too.

34 Likes

Not to go off topic butt since your online now, I figured I
ask you something Id been meaning to ask.

Is it possible to zip your site, for download,
off line viewing?

That would be great.

No, my site uses gifs and video from online sources. If you want to talk further about it, you can PM me.

oh, ok.

@anon39655210 That maybe so, but if your going to give bad feedback, you need to do it in a way that is constructive and provide ways to improve the game. Not bash it and then not give ways to fix it.

I think that is what @EarthRavenous16 is getting at.

That’s fair, I agree with that part. ^^