Feedback and suggestions/request about Rash

(see my earlier post above)

I love the extremes you guys keep jumping too, assuming that IG would get MLP and other stuff in. Extremes are not a way to prove your point.

Its not an extreme its as plausible as Rash in KI because if he fits, they all do, just because

Lolno. Your logic is fatally flawed bro

No it isn’t, you are saying a Toad from another dimension fits in KI, I say He-Man does too, or Leonardo from TMNT, who is to say otherwise, just because portals. Doesn’t make that an extreme but as sound as a Battletoad from another dimension. The only thing tying these 2 together is the origin of Rare originally creating them. That doesn’t give it a strong argument in regards to it fitting, as I said earlier, Viva Pinata is also originated from Rare so why not Horstacio in the game as well, he can have explosive attacks, confetti attacks and what not, a portal opens up and lets him into the KI world from the garden of another galaxy.

Battletoads are a TMNT parody to start with, so that couldn’t work, for starters. Tusk is a He-Man paridy, so, again that couldn’t work. Also, I’m not saying another dimension. That’s you. I’m saying another arm of the galaxy, assuming that KIs galaxy is a pinwheel like ours is. There is no proof that Battletoads and KI aren’t in the same universe. They are both dark, gritty, but have a parodical sense of humor.

I get what you are saying but Rash is coming through a portal, you clearly see it and that opens the door to anything as I said for an excuse. I don’t see a huge toad with shades, big smile, cartoony look and moves fitting in with the rest. It is way off course. Pure and simple

You’re talking about the looks of his retro. Remember that. We still haven’t seen his updated “modern” costume. I guarantee it will fit better than the cartoonist throwback that is his retro.

Yes I’ve heard but I doubt they will change the cartoon attacks. It gives me some comfort that it is his retro but I still prefer him as a hidden character

I was not aware of this. Is it confirmed?
If this is true, it could potentially make all the difference if his updated look brings him in line with the rest of the cast.
They would indeed have to get rid of the exaggerated attacks, but there could yet be hope if you speak the truth

Yes, this has already been confirmed.

The questions seem to be who can be excluded and who can’t and why. You and Kixmix keep trying to answer those questions with your opinion and the rules that govern your opinion on what’s okay and what’s not. Rash can be excluded because he’s a guest, but Sadira’s not a guest, so she can’t be excluded. So your distinction is guest versus lore.

But that’s your opinion of the correct distinction. Regardless of the point of the thread, that’s the argument and that’s the reasoning that governs it.

Frodo’s argument (to me) seems to be that any time characters are excluded, it’s due to a distinction that’s arbitrary. It’s you deciding to separate some characters from others for reasons specifically determined to be logical and right by you. Frodo’s question (I believe), which neither of you have answered very well, is why is your method of separating the characters valid, but his is not?

You can talk about “lore” all you want. But lore is an arbitrary argument. It’s the rules you’ve selected as unbreakable. By that logic, I could say that I want to separate Sadira, Shadow Jago, Kan Ra, Aganos, Omen, Hisako and Aria from the rest of the cast because I’m a “true” KI fan and I only want to use “true” KI characters. KI1 and KI2. That’s my lore.

Now to that, you might say “no, those are true KI characters because they’re in the current Killer Instinct lore,” but why should I care what your opinion of the lore is when my separation point dictates that I want to be able to fight classic KI characters because those are the only “real” KI characters to me? FYI, yes, that argument was brought up by people when Sadira was announced because she looked like such an MK character.

So yeah
 I don’t care which game these new characters are a part of or the fact that they’re in the current game that’s still ongoing. This is my preference. Why should they obey your preference but not mine? Why is your “lore” logic more sound than my “true classic lore” logic? Why is one rule correct and the other faulty?

Let’s take it a step further (away from lore). I hate the way Aganos pulls the screen back. I have bad eye sight and have a hard time seeing the game as it is. When he’s on screen, I can barely tell what’s going on. Should I be allowed to exclude Aganos because of this medical condition? Is my medical condition less valid than your preference for not seeing guests?

For the record, I don’t have bad eyesight and I love all of the new characters, including Aganos. I’m just trying to make the point here that everyone has preferences. That’s the point I believe Frodo was getting at with Sadira.

Why is your preference for no guests more valid than someone else’s when their preferences could have next to nothing to do with the game’s lore or which characters are in KI and which aren’t? Lore might be your deciding factor, but why does that have to be the deciding factor for someone else?

I saw more than a few posts during season 2 from people saying “I just want to play season 1, I don’t want to have anything to do with season 2. Can I just get classic, unadjusted season 1 and not have to play with or against season 2 characters online?” Again, why is your preference for no guests valid but other people’s preference for season 1 not?

So what if they’re all KI characters. That fact was never in question because that’s not what some season 1 fans used as the argument against having season 2 rebalance and characters forced on them.

I don’t see how you can justify your own separation of characters while denying others. The “lore” argument doesn’t work as a reason because, again, most people’s preferences have almost nothing to do with the lore. You can’t use a determining factor like lore and expect other people to have to obey that determining factor just because you obey it.

Also, if Rash is written in to KI’s story, then technically, he’s part of KI’s lore starting with season 3 regardless of whether his appearance might break Battletoads lore (which it might not, but even if it does, we’re talking about KI anyways, so why does breaking Battletoad’s lore matter?)

I’m sorry. I respectfully disagree with you guys. Putting in a way to not fight characters that you don’t want to fight, regardless of the reason or the arbitrary rules governing that reason means that anyone could want the same for any reason, guided by any rules they want to follow and there’s no logic that I’ve seen from either of you that refutes that argument.

If a character’s in the game, then they’re part of the game. Even if they’re from a different season, even if they’re tall, even if they’re not from original KI games, and even if they’re a one off guest. I understand your impulse here. If Banjo’s the next guest character, I wouldn’t be happy about it. But I wouldn’t expect special treatment or for the devs to acquiesce to my specific preference.

3 Likes

understood, just like you wouldn’t like Banjo, neither would I as I don’t like Rash in KI . They are still guest characters and not characters like the rest. It is as you say then they can just do whatever and it becomes lore so in that case if they have an agreement or the rights to whatever character, it is fair game to include it into KI with no backlash and we all have to accept it. Get the rights from Mattel, add He-Man, She-Ra, GI Joes, etc., get the rights from Disney, add a Jedi, Mickey Mouse etc. We have to accept it as KI fans because if it can be done it must be the right thing to do? It will encompass other franchises and bring others to KI? No guarantee, I don’t think so.

See, again, you’re rushing down the slippery slope. If one Rare character makes it in, you seem to think that we’ll get this hoard of guests that look horribly out of place in KI when there’s absolutely zero indication that something like this will happen and you have to know that deep down.

Of course there’s no guarantee this won’t happen, but you have to trust the developers to SOME extent that Banjo and Mickey and Bart Simpson and Yu Gi Oh and a Corvette from Forza won’t make it in, don’t you? If Banjo’s in the game, then I’ll eat my words. I will. But I really don’t think we have to worry about it.

You don’t like Rash. Fine. You don’t think he fits KI. Fair enough. But again, why does your opinion of what fits KI matter when Frodo’s opinion of Sadira not fitting KI doesn’t? If I recall correctly, he was on that train of thought with other people back on the DH forums saying that she looked like Mortal Kombat character. So why do you think it’s okay to exclude your character, but Frodo can’t exclude his? To take that down the slippery slope, what’ stop anyone from saying they want to be able to exclude any character for any reason if people aren’t governed by the lore the way you are?

But to your point

This is still an arbitrary distinction. Here’s an example. You know who’s not like the rest? Monster characters. If I prefer human characters because they look more realistic to me and I want a more realistic looking game, then why can’t I w e e d out all of the monsters? (didn’t mean it like marijuana, but thanks UC.com lol)

As for Rash, I’m not going to dispute your opinion for not wanting him in the game because that’s your opinion and you’re certainly entitled to it, but while I know it’s been asked several times, why is a mutant frog such a crazy, outlandish character that couldn’t possibly fit KI, but a robotic dinosaur is? Forget the lore. Forget who was already in the game and who wasn’t. Tell me why, to you, one fits and one doesn’t.

1 Like

I’ve answered that question many times already, tone. I know the classic costumes have pom poms, cheerleader outfits but that is the only goofy side to KI that is extra accessories for people to mess around with, with the classic costumes I get that. But as a substancial character in KI lore a Battletoad with a big cartoon smile, shades, adolescent humor/talk and cartoony moves like horns with sheep “Baaa” soundbytes, huge boot with cleets is a little too much I’d say, its crossing the line of beyond absurd.

Apologies for making you answer it again. To me, you’re splitting hairs here. You’re compartmentalizing that which is okay and that which is not based on your own personal preference. Riptor having a cheerleader outfit is okay because that’s KI’s goofy side, but having a character that’s more light-hearted in general? That’s crossing the line and it’s beyond absurd.

I’m not sure how you reconcile that and separate the tone from one and the tone from the other. Again, using lore as your reasoning doesn’t change the reality that a dinosaur can be in a cheerleader outfit in the same game with a talking frog.

So where is this line and why do you get to decide where it’s at and others don’t? If Frodo decides that Sadira looking like a Mortal Kombat character is absurd to him, then why should he have to fight against Sadira? If someone thinks that Season 2 plays too much like a Mahvel game, or that all the stuff Cinder has in the game is absurd, why should they have to fight any of the season 2 characters?

Look, I get that his tone is a bit off from the rest of KI and I respect that this rubs you and some others the wrong way, but if you look at the rest of the game and take it as a whole, you’ll see that there’s a fairly substantial range in terms of tone in the game.

In addition to those classic outfits that you’re kinda putting in a box and separating from the rest of the game
 How about Aganos putting a little flower on the rubble on top of his opponent? Isn’t that a little tongue in cheek? How about Omen’s goofy looking masks? Orchid’s alt outfits? Sabrewulf’s steam punk accessories? Kan Ra getting Lo Pan’s outfit from Big Trouble in Little China as an alt?

How about the fact that a werewolf can fight a rock golem or a dinosaur or a ghost? I mean
 Just look at it from a macro perspective. The tone is all over the place in this game. That’s why so many types of characters can fit under one umbrella. You’re looking at one thing and saying “that has to be serious” while letting all this other stuff go, all in the name of having something be a certain way when the game allows for a lot more than you seem to think it does.

Either way, I still don’t see why thinking Rash is absurd should allow people to exclude him while others can’t exclude characters that they think are absurd. I feel like I’ve already established the argument that lore as reasoning is shaky ground at best given how arbitrary it’s value is, what people determine to be lore, and how much anyone can value or devalue lore when making an argument for excluding characters, so I’m not quite sure what your reasoning could be otherwise.

Same goes for the idea that allowing one light-hearted character in the game will set us on a slippery slope that somehow opens the floodgates on a wide range of goofy characters in the game. It’s simply not going to happen. If Banjo’s in the next game, I’ll gladly eat my words. But I tend to doubt that we’ll be going down that kind of a road with future guests.

1 Like

Yeah, I meant to address the whole “absurd character in game lore” aspect as well. Look at every other fighting game out there. Are there these sort of absurd “outlier” characters in every game?

Street fighter has Blanka, who’s this green, mutated monster in the midst of a game with human characters. Say it’s explained by the lore all you want, he’s still an outlier.

How about Goro on the original Mortal Kombat? Again, all human characters except for this dude with four arms. Then in the next game we learn that there’s lizard men, dudes with swords on their arms and a whole new “realm” where characters can be thousands of years old. Doesn’t any of that, even within the lore, stretch the boundaries of absurdity given the look and tone of the first game?

Tekken
 Good lord. We’ve got a dude with sword in a hand to hand fighting game. But that’s okay because two of the characters can sprout wings and shoot lasers from their eyes. We’ve got a robot in JACK, a robot in Alisha Boskonovich, whatever the heck Ogre and True Ogre are, a fighting bear, a fighting panda
 All within this completely serious story.

Now, you might say “but I’m talking about KI.” My point is that having outlier characters like Rash in fighting games is not unheard of by any stretch of the imagination. You might not like them. I might not like some of them. But they do fill a role within the game. They do play to a part of the fanbase both within the game, and in Rash’s case, outside of the game as well. Even if you don’t think that their absurdity fits within the game’s lore, it still fits KI specifically (due to KI’s tone being all over the place) and other games as well.

1 Like

The argument of Riptor and Sabrewulf doesn’t hold any weight because they weren’t introduced with pom poms, cheerleader outfits, reindeer antlers etc. If that was going to be how they were introduced and presented can you imagine the uproar after seeing the trailers to those characters even before we play as them? The thing is there is their fitting presentation and the extra stuff gets goofy for original costumes. Not the other way around

@Iago407 is enunciation my point much better than I was able to, thanks.

@Kixmix You’re forgetting that we only have Rash’s retro costume in right now. If you’re OK with Riptors retro being goofy AF, why can’t you be OK with Rash’s retro being goofy AF?

1 Like

No I’m not forgetting because his moveset is still cartoony, that will also cross-over and isn’t tied to the Retro, just like every other character in the game.

Rash may be different from the other characters BUT the existing character are different from each other. KI look at characters individually not collectively. We don’t know rather or not Rash is apart of the lore. Considering that he’s stems from another IP he’d still be referred to as a guest regardless of him being a permanent addition(if he is).

The main question here is: “should people who don’t like/want something get special treatment?”