Feedback and suggestions/request about Rash

I actually get a little mad when i see rash on the character select. Just look at his giant cartoon teeth and i dont know how you can say hes not out of place. Its not the fact hes a toad, its how cartoonish he looks. Just look at shadow jago on character select a few seconds. Then look at rash…

3 Likes

I’m not sure what you’re trying to accomplish here exactly. You made a diplomatic, well-reasoned argument in your original post that you’re now ruining by attacking people and coming up with these absurd comparisons. Oh, you like Rash? You must want to see Sailor Moon fight Homer Simpson in KI.

No. It really doesn’t work that way.

You can name call the character, exaggerate with comparisons and look down your nose all you want (deny it, but that’s what it looks like you’re doing to me), but I doubt you’ll win many to your way of thinking. If anything, you’ll probably just put people on the defensive.

But to your original argument, I don’t think it’s horribly unreasonable on the surface. I’d only worry that some people might come back with “well, I hate fighting season 2 characters” (which some have said) or “I hate fighting cheap, spammy Kan-Ras and Jagos online, so I’d like to block them out too.”

You might see the delineation line as being KI characters versus guests, but why would that matter to other people that don’t want to fight them? The argument being that if you get to avoid characters that you don’t want to fight against, why should I have to fight characters that I don’t want to fight? Even if the reason for not wanting to fight them is completely different, the end result is still the same.

I’d say maybe wait and see what IG does with Rash’s updated look. Who knows, maybe it’s a bit darker and at least fits a bit more with the KI aesthetic. I know the giant boot and the ram horns etc are a bit corny, but it’s not like the mere existence of all of these characters grouped together doesn’t take the seriousness level down a peg or two to begin with.

You might say that MKX’s guests work a lot better, but as an MK fan, I disagree. I have zero interest in horror villains and their stories are beyond silly when trying to shoehorn them in to MK’s world. Of course, I still respect the many horror fans that were over the moon when Jason, Predator etc got announced.

That said… I’m not personally a fan of the goofy stuff in KI. If I were making a post-apocalyptic fighting game involving an evil corporation, I probably wouldn’t have a character in a half shirt, a character wearing hot pants, a skeleton, a werewolf, a robo-dinsoaur etc or the silly classic accessories.

But all of that craziness is a part of KI. Some might see a Battletoad as crossing the line, while some might see the line ending right after, but stopping before something like Conker or Banjo and some might argue whether KI has a line to begin with.

Flexibility is one of this series’ strengths. We have what we have, even if some of what results from that flexibility don’t hit all the right chords with every one of us at all times. You speak like the vast majority of KI fans don’t want Rash, but most people I’ve seen on here seem pretty happy about him, or at least resigned to the fact that we’re getting guests, and that they could’ve done a lot worse in choosing characters.

4 Likes

As I’ve said, I accept that we’re probably in the minority. And I have no problem with people who want to enjoy the character.
It’s when they immediately start raging, despite my polite request to refrain from such, and trying to shout me down along with this idea (which I see as being quite fair) that I feel inclined to illustrate the logic behind my dislike of seeing the character. Incidentally, these illustrations aren’t flattering.

As I’ve said, I know they’re not going to drop the character. I have no illusions about that. It would be nice to acknowledge those of us to whom Rash is a massive eyesore in the game. The fact that Rash is a guest character is what gives me a sliver of hope. I hate TJ Combo as well. Quite immensely in fact. But he’s a legitimate KI character, so I accept having to fight him occasionally.

1 Like

There was always going to be a degree of derision from some people regarding Rash since many were unhappy with the idea of guest characters. Does he fit into the world of KI? Well it’s a tricky question and a huge debate will come from it.

Also may I point out the TC’s original post was constructive and concise, the problem was other users jumping the gun and misinterpreting the post altogether. Adam Isgreen has stated countless times that KI will be all about diversity, so it will be interesting to see if Rash is the only goofy guest

1 Like

I appreciate the amount of thought put into the OP, but it feels like requesting a feature to exclude him is too early.

Rash’s design isn’t even final and there is a lot of time between now and Season 3’s launch. Perhaps the better course of action right now is to put the same amount of thought into a constructive thread about his design.

1 Like

Guests are apart of the official roster, just like every other game that has guests in it. We don’t truely know if they’re one off characters even, this version of KI is a reboot we don’t even know who’s going to be mainstays for this current series. (or if there’s going to be another game even) Rash and (?) could be KI’s Yoshimitsu or Ryu Hayabusa.

the characters in KI are pretty much references to pop culture. A character like Rash was bound to happen as cartoons are apart of pop culture. heck Snoopy sell’s life insurance And The RoadRunner has a Muscle car even

Canadian Mint LooneyTunes 2015

As for your I don’t like it, so I want a special online mode so I don’t have to see it suggestion. I doubt its needed. Rash is just ONE character out of many.

Very true. From another perspective, this is the very thing that led me to think that it wouldn’t be much of a problem.

I’d be surprised if IG didn’t anticipate people’s feelings about this. We’ll see what S3 brings.

well it’ll depend on a couple of factors like if the mode would be for one guest or all guests (I assume the’re going to be 2 or 3 max) rather or not there’s enough demand for the mode.

The biggest issue is that some folks are probably gonna want to expand it to “no accessory mode” and “No Retros mode” and maybe even want to add a new none guest character too the Block lists … I doudt it will go that far but I know folk will rant because they cant block other things they don’t like

sooo idk

I had some KI going at a party with a group of friends last weekend. There were 4 of us who played KI and like 6+ people who didn’t know the game existed. One thing that immediately peaked their interest is when they saw Rash on character select. “Wow! Is that the battletoads dude? I want to see you guys play him.”

So from a marketing perspective and getting new people interested I think Rash is a great edition.

1 Like

Spot on! excellent points

That’s how I feel about Omen but I accept that he still fits in the lore and I don’t mind fighting against him, but a Battletoad is a sore to see on the menu screen, he sticks out like a sore thumb and I find myself avoiding to play against someone the minute I see they last played as Rash in Exhibition

I really hope they just put Rash as a hidden character away from the menu screen, like you need to unlock him with a sequence command

1 Like

Rash IS a great addition for many people.
Very hard to look at for others.
We could both get what we want.

1 Like

Exactly everyone is happy that way, and I can still avoid playing against a Battletoad to some extent

So, I don’t feel like Sadira fits KI can I avoid fighting her?

Sadira doesn’t come from some other franchise, your point is moot

I don’t follow the logic of guest characters arbitrarily being discluded. Just because another game invented the character doesn’t mean the character can’t fit into the KI universe and it’s pretty stupid to handcuff yourself with such arbitrary rules. News Flash! Jago is Ryu knockoff and when this game comes to PC and people mod in skins I’m sure you’ll see exactly that.

You guys don’t care so much that Rash is a guest character as you do that he’s “cartoony”. Because I’m certain if battletoads never existed and they made this character that there would be complaints. And to that point what’s visually pleasing to someone is pretty subjective.

Regardless discluding any character in matchmaking is dumb. It’s counter productive to the growth of the game. You kill off a character by doing so, if Rash players have less of a player pool to play against they get longer queue times and subsequently play the game less. It’s far more reasonable to just suck it up and play against a character who makes up less than 10% of the cast, you’re bound to fight a couple toy robots, raptors in cheerleading outfits, etc. in between fighting him.

1 Like

But what’s the difference? You don’t want to fight Rash because you don’t feel like he fits KI, I don’t want to fight Sadira because I don’t feel like she fits KI. No difference. Your point is completely arbitrary.

Sadira is a plausible character designed to fit the universe, doesn’t stand out/stick out or designed to feel out of place but rather to fit in the collective and its construct. A Battletoad isn’t a plausible character because it is of another universe and doesn’t make sense with his cartoony big smile and cartoony big foot, horns and shades with the adolescent attitude (although I find it humorous, I don’t like it in this context - I like it in Battletoads) Rash is just being put inside this games confines where he doesn’t fit and just squeezing it like a puzzle piece that doesn’t really go but you force it in just to say you connected it. The only thing that connects these two games is the fact that Rare are the original creators. That is a far leap when you compare it to Sadira who was imagined, sketched and storyboarded from the ground up to fit KI as was every new character in KI like Aganos, Kan-Ra etc. that weren’t in the classic KI and KI2. I suppose I can’t get any clearer than that.

How doesn’t he fit? Is a mutant toad really that much of a stretch? What proof do you have that BattleToads and KI aren’t in the same universe? What if Rash and his brothers were the product of radiation runoff from the factories that Fulgore was being produced in, then UltraTech threw them in some portal that transported them to another part of the galaxy. When Kan-Ra opened up the portal for Gargos, Rash slipped through too