Eyedol with one or two heads? (Poll)

So what you’re saying is that it was a 15-year-old’s edgy “mature” wet dream? Sounds pretty goofy.

1 Like

The first part does seem true, the second part…to me it seems simple: don’t give him a dumb goofy personality. Make him vicious & violent…

Honestly the Hulk has the same issue…sometimes he’s portrayed as dumb and goofy, especially in portrayals aimed at kids, but when they write him as violence incarnate, smashing tanks together, swatting missiles out of the air, stuff like that, nobody views him as goofy. If Eyedol was violence incarnate, nobody would see this:

They’d see this:

4 Likes

That’s nope disrespect but just reality what u said there friend :astonished: u just woke me up with this. Now I realize it…

1 Like

Yet Rash is completely, utterly, stupidly goofy without any of his alt costumes or props and still found a home on the roster without so much as a second thought. Nobody really had a say in that one, or were able to opt out of the inclusion of such a joke character.

As far as Eyedol is concerned, I think what is “goofy” is totally up to interpretation. Riptor is pretty goofy, a robotic dinosaur is probably one of the most derpy ideas in fighting game history. Fulgore is a badass Cyborg with a damned pony tail, tell me that isn’t goofy as all hell yet its part of what makes the character charming and it had to be on his modern design.

Clearly there are lot of people who don’t think Eyedol is goofy and it seems like some of the folks at HQ just don’t really click with that design and that’s cool not everyone is supposed to but a lot of people obviously find what you call goofy to be pretty awesome and enjoyable. If Rash can break the fourth wall and turn into a giant spiked boot, there is a place for a two-headed cyclops on the roster.

12 Likes

rash is a guest charecter and not apart of the ki lore. Eyedol is a boss level character and is held to a higher standard.

You have stated this on several posts. I will never agree. I think it’s just your opinion.

What can, indeed, leave a cultural imprint of goofyness, is in fact how two headed humanoids have been portrayed in Harryhausen movies, which is where you got your first (and probably last, till 1994 KI came) impression that a two headed humanoid in motion is clumsy and not scary at all.

So this cultural impression is not about the design itself, it’s about how it was presented to you and, for a long time, you had few or none other depictions of such a creature to form a diferent idea of it.

If the only time I had seen an alien humanoid was the movie E.T., I would never use aliens in my game because I would say “big headed clumsy aliens are goofy”

4 Likes

I guess I was only imagining those Battletoads threads…

most fighters have them, they’re ■■■■ near common place now.
I know “certain” people; expect to magically be exempted from the things they don’t like in game X and or Y… but nope lol

Rash is aware of him self, He knows he lives in a virtual reality. The forth wall doesn’t exist for him or the other toads.

ok, fine.

#Tekken says hello…

A lot of people do think its Goofy. The problem with Eyedol is that he’s supposed to be of grandeur. A warlord not just some goon.

5 Likes

Well, I’m not going to bother responding to that entire dissected post but yeah…

Eyedol would only be as goofy as they make him, it just feels kinda lazy to exclude him because of his supposed “goofiness”.

5 Likes

Does IG and company find making Eyedol too challenging? Because saying he’d be too goofy sounds like an excuse :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. If done right, he could be a two headed bad mother*****. I’m sorry no disrespect but him being “too goofy” is a bad excuse. Either they can’t take on the challenge of making him or they just don’t want to.

6 Likes

I see no problem with a revised Eyedol with one head, and a Retro with two, just as long as there is that two headed retro

1 Like

I’d be okay with that. But such a thing would require twice as much work as the two headed version would need separate animations and voice acting in addition to the new model and accessories that retros already get.

https://www.google.com/search?q=two+headed+monster&biw=1200&bih=818&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwid6eTO_rHMAhUJ4mMKHUNhDnIQ_AUIBygC

Those two image searches above are what you get – what anyone gets – when they type “two headed monster” into two very popular search engines. See anything scary? Anything really cool? Cerberus pops up after a page or two, but that’s a dog.

My point is that this is what you fight against with Eyedol, because this is what the larger audience expects from a two-headed monster – either silly or goofy, with little in-between. To keep Eyedol as Eyedol, you almost have to just say “yeah, goofy.” and accept that. But that’s not been what we’ve done with non-guests in KI.

Eyedol simply has a lot stacked against him based on his original design.

7 Likes

You are so hung up on your interpretation of what goofy is that this has to be some form of misdirection. I bet Eyedol is definitely in the works if all you can come up with is google search results for 2 headed monsters turning up with the two headed monster from sesame street which is literally named the two headed monster. If you search for robot dinosaur you get a t-rex with a cowboy hat lol. Just accept that it’s within your power to make him not goofy.

5 Likes

I think you underestimate yourselves, if you take the IG/MS charm and apply it to a two-headed character we both know you could make it look amazing and even if he does have a little goofy in his soul, just run with it. We have confidence in you guys.

3 Likes

dude, cyborg dinosaur are ■■■■■■■ nice! There’s nothing silly about them! :sunglasses:

Nice music @TempusChaoti btw

1 Like

Eyedol isn’t happening guys, he’s making it clear. Still, a two headed monster is more interesting than something like Omen.

I will be comfortable with your decision and I know you guys have gone over this at least a few times to come to your decisions but:

&

look pretty fine to me

5 Likes

I’m telling your they’re just trying to pull the wool over our eyes! Eyedol is happening the arguments against him do not hold water!

1 Like

Well in my humble opinion Eyedol doesn’t look anywhere near as goofy as that Sabre retro… BAZING!

2 Likes

Exactly this. You guys are more than capable of making Eyedol’s design the vicious demon he can be without completely canning his old design.

I am currently working with my game design team on a series of boss characters for one our projects, and one of the ideas we had come up with was a multi-headed creature(we had juggled between a Dragon and Minotaur design for a while, but I believe the conceptual process is still similar enough to what would go through with Eyedol to compare).

While yes, a two-headed creature of humanoid form is often portrayed as goofy and argumentative with itself as a form of comic relief in mainstream media, but it is certainly possible to make a two-headed humanoid to be menacing and intimidating, much like how a two-headed dragon is often percieved as “Oh ■■■■, double dragon power!” rather than a goofy creature.

I was really hoping this wouldn’t come up :smile:
When looking for inspiration for our bosses, we googled the same thing. Upon further research, The reason that Sesame Street character floods the search is because the name of the character is “Two Headed Monster”. A character from such an established show will by default be the most relevant search result than any other art of a two headed monster that has any another name. Anyone looking for any actual two headed monsters is going to have to add adjectives or -sesame street to get a good search.
Cerberus is also a very well known multiheaded creature that has shown up in many different works, and yes while Cerberus is a dog, it is still very much a monster.

Googling two headed cyclops brings back nothing but kids cartoons and really old clay-mation scenes that for all I know could be considered scary for back then, but are just weird to look at now. No pictures of Eyedol show up at all until you scroll really far down.

So lets look at what Eyedol is in the old KI arcade game. Like many other “allowance eating” arcade bosses of the 90’s, Eyedol was designed to be hard and kill win streak momentum. Eyedol is a monster that was able to regenerate health at a frustrating rate and could reflect projectiles back at the player, and could knock players to the other side of arenas. Anyone who has ever even made it to him will automatically associate Eyedol with a sense anger, frustration, and terror. For the young me, the struggle of fighting him automatically made me picture him as a menacing and evil creature(cause he kept stealing all my cash!).

So with no real modern “serious” designs to look to for inspiration, we have to look at old Eyedol and other two headed creatures to try to rebuild this type of monster from the ground up for a modern audience.
Looking at Eyedol’s old design we have the following significant details:

• Two heads
  • Cyclops face
  • Head horns
  • Muscular upper body
  • Colored skin
  • Goat legs and hooves.
  • Wields a club
  • Talks in unison(well, grunted, but it was in unison)

I am going to leave the two heads and cyclops face alone, because I am trying to prove that they could stay.

Right off the bat I would cross off the goat legs, as I personally see them as the most goofy part of his old design. Replacing them with a more humanoid design not only makes animating easier, but helps makes Eyedol appear to be bigger and bulkier. regardless of whether we keep the goat legs or not, I would armor them up with metal and cloth with old blood splattered on it.

His upper body should remain the big muscly way it is now. We want him to look tough.

In the old game he was colored either green or red, we could take that a step further and make him either scaly like a dragon or snake(two other creatures that are often drawn multi-headed to add to their threat), make him furry like Cerberus or Dioskilos(another mythological two-headed dog), or leave him the bare humanoid he is currently, adding body hair and/or body armor as necessary.

His club could be left as his primary weapon, but as many others have stated Aganos already wields a club, so we could change it to another weapon if need be. Since he is a large character, we should pick a large weapon to go with him.
I would choose between some of these ideas:

• A ball-and-chain Flail with a grossly oversized spiked ball.
  • A double headed Battle ax with a huge ax head.
  • A Mace, close in use and design as a club, but different enough.
  • A giant Battle Hammer.
  • A huge Ball and Chain carried by gauntlet-ed hand that Eyedol would throw, pull back and catch, and swing around by the chain would look terrifying and powerful.

Since Eyedol is a warlord, having pieces of metal and cloth strapped to him would certainly make him look more warlord-y.

Looking at Eyedol’s heads, to make him look more evil, we could put demonic metal helmets that shroud the top half of his faces(bottom of nose and up) in shadow and have each of his singular eyes pierce the shroud with a menacing glow.
His horns could either be part of the helmet or be sticking out through holes in the helmets, whether those holes look to be there on purpose or not.
We could also just give his heads a more Orc-like or Demon-like shape to keep it simple.

His speech pattern of the heads talking in unison should probably stay, as when they talk individually is where most of the goofiness could come from. Granted it is certainly possible to have each head speak differently to make the effect seem like two guys are ganging up on you, but this is a lot harder from a dialogue writing perspective, and I personally find the unison speech to be much more terrifying and intimidating.

These ideas for my redesign took me 3 hours to come up with by myself. I’m positive a professional team given the same time they are given for every other character could easily come up with a better design while keeping him similar enough to his original design and making him a destructive hardcore killer of men.

For those of you that took the time to read this whole long post, thank you :slight_smile:

6 Likes