Eyedol MU: Scublord Report

Just out of curiosity, why were you using her instinct that way? She can’t do anything with her instinct if she isn’t on top of you, so what was the thought process behind you using it in that manner?

Mostly for defensive “keep-away” purposes, much like Kan-Ra’s sand-swarms; that and I can never seem to actually place them where I want them to go up close.

Ok. Well, I guess I’d just encourage you to try and be a bit more thoughtful about how you approach a given character’s toolset. Try to think about things in terms of what you’re supposed to “get” off of any particular move or action.

While webs can be used as a sort of poor man’s scarab, Sadira’s offensive options are wildly different from Kan’s, so that probably isn’t the character you want to model in this instance. She’s not going to be command grabbing or poking the opponent from beyond her ersatz scarab, so what purpose does building a “wall” really serve? An opponent generally isn’t going to want anything to do with Sadira in instinct, so he’s probably not going in, and if you have to cross your own wall to apply pressure (which you do), now you’re just making it so that you don’t have any webs available to make yourself safe as you apply that pressure.

You want to approach your individual actions with a character in the context of their overall gameplan and the tools that define it. As it relates to Sadira, that means using instinct as a tool to lock someone in place and force them to take your mixups. She’s got other ways to keep space and avoid midrange pressure options - you don’t want to spend your most valuable resource on something she already does really well.

2 Likes

Keep in mind that I haven’t really played her since S1 and she’s my absolute least favorite character, so while I appreciate the advice, it probably won’t change much in this particular instance, especially since there’s so much more that I can’t do with her very effectively (in-air combos, juggles, jump-cancels, etc.). Her play-style just does NOT mesh well with me - we are not compatible.

Besides, isn’t this thread supposed to be about Eyedol? Give me advice about him! I like him (despite how ugly the brute is)!

Oh, wait, Sadira sub-forum… NM.

Haha. Fair enough, but I was trying to speak more generally about just trying to go a bit deeper into your your chosen character’s tools and how they fit. Particularly this part (yep, I’m about to quote myself :disappointed_relieved:):

This will help you with any character you choose to play. Including Aganos.

On the other stuff…Eyedol is a terrible character, and liking him makes you a bad person. Kappa

Have you seen my post in the Aganos sub-forum? I suppose you haven’t because you’re suggesting I do something that I’ve already done.

I had not. Good stuff :thumbsup:

Is there a way to escape from this set-up?

Edit: starts at 1:44

@TheKeits

I don’t get it. What setup? It would probably help if you posted a vid of the setup itself, and not an entire match =S

It starts at 1:44 in the video.

I don’t notice anything strange at 1:44 in the video. What are you referring to?

From 1:44 and onward, there clearly is some kind of inescapable set-up.

All I see is somebody missing a few combo breakers and getting recaptured, then not blocking on wakeup. There’s nothing inescapable about this? Either correctly combo break, block on wakeup, or DP after the combo ends.

4 Likes

Perhaps @SightlessKombat should speak for himself here, not me.

If you call “not breaking combos correctly and not blocking and getting hit with reset after reset” an inescapable setup, then yes, I see what you mean.

o_O

1 Like

Yeah, someone just refused to block. I think I heard trailblazer on wakeup.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know you’d posted my video after the fact. Ideally not the best tactic as I could’ve defended my position as well had I known about this sooner. Also, you’ve posted this in the wrong thread as well. Ideally this should go in the Cinder topic. No offense is meant by this, just observations.

First, to those saying why didn’t you just block etc, that’s very difficult to do when the guy just keeps doing what appears to be a string that’s plus on block (or at least safe enough to not be easily punishable) and you’ve never seen it before. Also, this was during a terrible online ranked session (which I’ve had more and more of recently as I’ve been trying to get these last few ranked achievements) and there were a couple of things I figured out after this match that I could’ve used to anti-air him had I realised earlier. That being said, I was trying to press something… anything to punish him and noting would come out, which is why I’d (falsely or otherwise) branded this a reset that was almost, if not completely, inescapable reset. I don’t enjoy playing Cinder, if it wasn’t for ranked achievements I likely wouldn’t play him as I have issues with his control responsiveness compared to Wulf who has a similar scheme but one that works far better than that of the man on fire.

I’m just looking forward to seeing how Eyedol is balanced out in the next patch.

1 Like

It’s annoying to be in a slump in ranked games, especially when you’re playing characters you don’t really like for achievements. I understand completely.

Just want to caution you against using the word “inescapable”, since it is very strong and, in this case, also very false. There are no fewer than 3 ways to escape what was happening to you (correct combo breaker on the slow 3-hit manual, block and shadow counter, or challenge with Fireflash after blocking, not even counting just blocking a little while longer and picking a better spot).

If you are going to “press something” to interrupt an opponent who seems to be at advantage a lot, you have to choose an invincible move (which Cinder’s light Fireflash is). Just trying to press any button at random is a recipe for getting dunked unless you really understand the situation you’re put in. Certain moves, like Fireflash, are designed exclusively for this purpose, and no other move is suited for it.

2 Likes

I can see your logic in this particular case and in fact Fireflash, I realised later, is one of the most lucrative moves I’ve seen to anti-air opponents. It was unfortunate I hadn’t (for whatever reason) remembered/realised that in this match. Thanks for the info on the light version, that’s extremely useful.

The word inescapable is subjective in instances like this, especially in light of the fact that all the hits look (or sound, if you want to be pedantic) relatively similar, or enough so that manuals are pretty much impossible to break without a guess based on nothing but a 33% chance and not educated deduction. I wasn’t sure if there was a manual in there or not, couldn’t figure out how to shadowcounter it mid-match without a very high-risk guess and he seemed to keep doing the same jumping setup that appears to leave him at advantage, thus not giving me the luxury of waiting for a better opportunity to open him up and reap vengeance on him.

Again, thanks for the information, I’m glad that at least someone understands and is willing to discuss this and provide extra assistance where possible.

It isn’t really, though. Inescapable literally means “0 escape options”. If you have 1 escape option or more, it is not inescapable. It’s a term with a clear definition and no subjectivity.

Eyedol’s jumping attacks leave him at strong advantage, yes. They can be anti-aired though (light Fireflash does a decent job of this). The manual you were often locking out on, the 3-hit fwd+HP normal, is not one of those 33% chance guess breaks, because it is very slow and easy to react to (can’t say for sure for blind players, perhaps).

Your chance to wait it out and reap vengeance on him is not to press buttons (besides light Fireflash) on wakeup. You need to block a few attacks and see his course of action after blocking. If he jumps, you can anti-air him (again, maybe hard for blind players). If he continues doing predictable strings, you can shadow counter them (Warrior Eyedol, for how strong he is, has some weakness to shadow counters… for blind players, I would say “randomly guessing” on shadow counter is a decent strategy here). If he refuses to never stop pressing buttons, just pick a time and do Fireflash.

1 Like