Do you use a Fight Stick, Fight Pad, or controller?

I use an Elite Controller. It’s just much hardier than the standard Xbox Controller, plus you have near unlimited options for button configuration.

Just switched to stick AND picked up shisako… Getting lots of L’s lol

Yeah I noticed alot of player’s using Regular controllers in the last year.

Not counting Japanese and Korean players obviously… you’l never get them to compete on pad… not even on Divekick.

I think this paradigm shift of seeing more regular controller players might be coming from Developers being more consious of who’s actually buying their games… not every owner of any fighting has a dedicated fighting peripheral… hell I bet only 10% of them do.

I’m sure Capcom has Metrics on this stuff…

That being said, with the exception of KI, NRS & DOA I still feel like a regular controller is still unadequate for Fighting Games… I can’t tell yall how many time’s I’ve screwed up V-Trigger Cancels just because of not being able to press R1 & R2 at the same time consistently… or Ibuki’s, Menat’s & Urien’s alternative EX moves.

Don’t even get me started on Ed & Blanka
Bringing back Sliding & Pianoing Techniques… And when I mash they say I’m scrub.

Plenty of Japanese players play on pad - I played with several of them while at Evo Japan, and saw dozens more while walking through the venue. To be sure the old heads mostly play on stick, but a lot of the younger guys play on pad.

Have you tried changing your button configurations at all? I routinely change which buttons do what while playing any 6-button FG on pad. Some things will still be tougher, but you can move things around to try and make things a bit easier on yourself.

1 Like

Hmmmm… that never even occured to me… I haven’t seen a Any Japanese newbies… lol can’t believe I didn’t notice that… to be fair I haven’t been to any events… I watch them all from the confort of my home and its usually the ones in the US… and its unlikely for inexperienced Japanese & Korean player’s to fly that far unless they are a part of Tokido’s or Infiltration’s Entourage.

Anyway for a regular controller I did Swap out the 3 Kicks Macro for a V-Trigger Macro to make things easier… but then I lost the ability to Taunt. I mean yeah Kick versions of EX Moves and V-Reversals were Trickier too but not being able to Taunt was what really threw me off…

This isn’t an issue in KI because IG had a controller lying around office some where and they saw: “Oh hey look… theres a right stick… can we use that ?

LoL… I mean… it seems so obvious that I don’t even know if it can be called a stroke of Genius… But it was.

To be fair… Street Fighter is notorious for its execution based option selects and enabling Right Stick Macros was definitely going to open a Pandora’s Box of Exploits that would make the game the exact opposite of accessible.

You know whats Funny… Madcatz teamed up with Capcom to make the SFV Themed Fightpad Pro… the interesting thing is this controller doesn’t have a Turbo Feature… ofcourse this makes sense Since Links in SFV are not impossible anymore and Rashid’s Mixer doesn’t require inhuman Mashing speed like Sol’s DP in Guilty Gear Xrd…

but then Ed & Blanka came along…

LoL… I mean… I know Turbo Functions are illegal but still… its like Capcom was trying to ■■■■■ Madcatz over.

Finally Got My Fightpad… ayt so first impressions.

This thing is huge… which I’m fine with because I’m a former Xbox Owner so my bones have already been condition to just deal with it.

The D-Pad doesn’t require as much Force to press… this is great because it only takes 30 Minutes for my 360 Controller to make my thumb ache… hopefully having a Softer D-Pad will let me play longer… especially with Charge Characters.

The Face Buttons… now the first revision of this cobtroller had an issue where some buttons would stick… they would just stay embedded in the controller after pressing them… I haven’t had this problem.

The Face Buttons aren’t as round as the ones on the 360 Controller so your thumb hits the button nice and flat, you don’t get that uncomfortable pressure sensation from the convex shape of rounder buttons… this also means that pressing buttons that are beside each other like O & X at the same time is a teeny tiny bit more Consistent. Now… the buttons aren’t so flat like on Sony’s DS3 to the point that the edges are basically 90 Degree Angles that prevent you from easily sliding in between buttons… the socket around the button is also slightly caved in to make sliding easier.

The Triggers (Yes, a Fightpad with Actual Triggers) are just like the D-Pad… soft and easy to press… they don’t resist as hard as both the 360 & DS3 Controller… I can also confirm that The Triggers will register as Buttons within your System so even if the DeadZone in the game is somewhat high, you will still get a solid button input so long as you pass the Deadzone within the Physical Triggers.

Touch Pad is exclusively a PS4 Feature so nothing I do on it registers on my Computer… the Touch Pad Button does work though.

Oh and one last thing… the button order isn’t identical to the one on the 360 Controller… basically what I’m saying is Square is A, Cross is B, Circle is X… and so on.

1 Like

i take it fightpad is hitbox like stuff … so box with just buttons, no analog, no digital cross?

1 Like

This is what’s generally referred to as a fightpad:

Just a pad with a more FG-oriented button layout.

1 Like

My current controller of choice is a Hori RAP 4 KAI. PC I plug it straight in while on the Xbox I just bought a Brook adapter. Previously I had a PS3 SCV stick from Hori, but I sold it because I believed the USB hub part was causing issues.

I do have a custom case that’s for Happ/IL (American) parts, but I left the project on hold due to priorities. Whenever I do pick it back up, it’ll probably be a multi platform board like a Brook UFB and convex or concave buttons.

Usually they remove Analogs but The Madcatz Fight Pad Pro decided to keep it… 6b4288ad427f3f8402f94f7270532e74

Can You Believe this ? :scream:

Madcatz just stopped Driver Support for all their Game Controllers. They’re just not there anymore.

I knew they went bankrupt last year but seriously ? No measures were taken to ensure the preservation & availability of those Drivers ? Have they not heard of Dropbox ?

LoL… I’m sorry if I’m rambling… its just that I literally cannot believe this happened. To just ■■■■■ over your costumers like that.

I honestly believe that all this fuss about “arcade sticks” is just marketing, hype and childhood nostalgia… I understand the nostalgia well for I too grew up amongst arcades, plus the part that what you learn as a kid stays with you, but still, c’mon! Let’s drop that urban myth already!

Especially for 2D side-scrolling fighting games like KI, Street Fighter, MK etc a stick is just extra space for nothing; can never be as fast, nor as immediate as a good D-pad. Furthermore, in KI for example, you often need to press 2 buttons or even 3 buttons at the same time. With a controller, these can be mapped to a single button press. Once you get used to said mapped button, you will be getting the desired effect every single time 100%. But with an arcade stick, during tough situations, there will always be a fear and a chance that you might just miss timing two/three buttons as one and ■■■■■ up your input…

Thing is, the average arcade stick is of better quality than the average controller… But, with a quality controller such as the Elite for example, you 're good to go… Firstly, its traditional, non-satellite disk D-pad is a stellar one for fighting games. In KI’s case you can map all the action buttons on the right side of the controller, leaving the left hand just for the D-pad. After some repeated use, the paddles do become 2nd nature, I know they have for me… Add to this that you can pull out of the way the left stick, shorten the trigger to bumper-like levels and increase right stick sensitivity for ultra quick breakers, and you got yourself control potential that no arcade stick could ever match

1 Like

I use a stick personally. I bought said stick for my PS4 to try and learn to play SFV with it, and I’ve ended up using it on my PC with KI more. It’s gotten to the point where I’m more comfortable playing stick in this game than I’ve ever been with a pad :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Of course, when all’s said and done, it comes down to a matter of personal preference! But does it ever happen, missing an instinct trigger/throw/breaker due to having to press two buttons as one? Or are the arcade stick buttons so functional and big that this is never an issue? I have yet to use arcade stick in fighters from the early 90’s in some coin-up flip…!
Edit: Except for some matches I had in a Tekken 5 arcade at some point

I mean, the odds of randomly missing two buttons are so negligible that it’s really not something to sway someone from using a stick. It’d be like someone saying they don’t use controller because they might drop it on the floor due to sweaty hands. Plus most sticks have two extra buttons that can be mapped to be multiple buttons at once anyway. And even when people do miss inputs it’s more for mental reasons rather then controller complications.

4 Likes

I see, didn’t know about arcade sticks with mappable buttons, that’s interesting. I’m confident about 2 buttons, but 3 buttons at once I would map them for sure…
But if I may add, having played lots in my childhood with SNES controller (a stellar controller for fighters), I don’t like having 6 buttons in two series of threes like Mega Drive style, arcades and modern typical fightpads; I feel there’s much distance for the right thumb to move from upper left button to the down right one.
Of course I guess that is not an issue for those playing arcade claw-style. But for those who mostly use the thumb like me, the elite paddles can be of significant help, because you can have your right thumb as freely as before, while using two more fingers underneath, naturally as you hold the controller

What about Stickless Arcade Controllers like the Hitbox ?

I play on hitbox now. I like it a lot, but there was DEFINITELY a learning curve to it. Some stuff is much (much) easier to do on it, some things are harder, but overall it definitely feels very clean once you get used to it.

1 Like

I would inagine Double Tapping Directional Inputs on it is a Breeze… or in The Case of USIV Akuma’s Ultra 2… Tripple Tapping. :wink:

Yeah, movement in general feels really good on HB. :+1:t5:

2 Likes