Do we honestly need a Season 4?

It’d be nice, but where it stands I’m just happy that they have a plan for future support of the game. MS probably wouldn’t announce 100 grand in tournament prizes otherwise. Whether or not their plan will include more characters, stages etc, it doesn’t looks like they’ll just abandon it any time soon.

1 Like

Considering the fact that there’s only one character left (maaaaaaybe 2? Plz?) I think people are more or less starting to get in to the mindset that the season’s winding down, even if there’s still a month and a half left, if not more.

With that winding down feeling comes this sort of… I don’t want to say panic, but maybe worrying over whether more content will be on the way or if this is the end. So I think it’s only natural to look forward a bit, even if we have tons of great stuff left in this season.

As to OP’s question, I see this a lot. Should we get another season or a brand new game? Here’s my issue with that question… Simply asking automatically assumes that those are both realistic and viable options when we simply don’t know if that’s the case or not.

What if MS doesn’t want to fund KI as a full, triple A title? What if they don’t even want to fund a full release on a lower budget? What if they decide to fund it on a lower budget, only to then scrap it later if it’s not coming along well or it starts costing more than they want to spend?

Make no mistake, if you say “end KI after season 3,” whether you like it or not, you’re trading the known for the unknown. The tangible, for the possible. What if MS says “that was a great experiment, it went really well. We should try it with some other games,” and then KI gets put on the back burner for the rest of this generation or even the next generation as well?

That’s why I don’t get why so many people think that this iteration should end after season 3. You want to make the argument about having to memorize too many matchups or systems, fine. I don’t agree with it, but it’s a valid argument.

But this whole “we should stop this so we can get something better,” argument doesn’t make much sense when we’re not guaranteed anything.

Regardless of that though, if I could choose between a new KI game in two or three years or season 4? I’m taking season 4. This game is amazing. It’s fun, the character designs are awesome, the gameplay is unique and engaging, and there are tons of great ideas throughout, from the alt colors and accessories, to Shadows, the story modes, ShadowLords, etc.

Why would you want this to end? Because we might get a new game sometime down the road that might have cool stuff like this or other stuff that might or might not be as good? At this point, I personally don’t feel the pull for a sequel when I can get more of this. Maybe after season 4, as I do agree with OP that the roster doesn’t need to be up in the MvC range lol, but I don’t think we’re anywhere close to that yet.

Season 4, plz!!

4 Likes

Eh… I think KI S1 → S2 → S3 is similar-ish (gameplay-wise, at least) to a lot of these SF upgrades. The aesthetic was different between Alpha 2 and Alpha 3, for instance, but the game was kiiinda the same with some system/balance differences, like KI seasons are. Modern games don’t have the luxury to overhaul the entire aesthetic of the game every year anymore, but they can do gameplay changes.

And ever since 2001, the SF games that have stuck have been played for many, many years. CvS2, 3s, and MvC2 ruled arcades in America for 7-8 years, then SF4 and Marvel 3 ruled the modern-day Capcom scene. For tons of people, all they know are fighting games that stuck around for 5+ years.

1 Like

Either Season 4 or KI2, so long as the series continues I’m happy.

With the Xbox Scorpio on the way - maybe we could get a season 4, a 4K native resolution bump, ultimates, stages and extra costumes for all, plus a few more characters would be nice.

2 Likes

Would like to also add that it’s weird to compare a well known series like SF that was on multi platforms to a game that was dead for 20 years came back on one console and finally got a release on another platform. It was more than Tristan talking about this lol

2 Likes

Either way I’m interested to see what’s Microsoft and Iron Galaxies plan with KI after Season 3 is done and finished as there’s only one slot (maybe 2 if they do a bonus character like last seasons).

1 Like

Season 4 for would be stupid potentially 1 returning character(eyedol) and New characters and like 4 guests cause why not. Guests will get fans mad and New won’t have relationships with player that they already cling to. Like Some just want to see their favourites return but when theirs no more then what?

I meant more of the roster getting way to huge that learning MUs for people that plan to play this competively or trying to get into get the game will be to much of a hassle if they keep doing the 8-9 characters, roster balance change and new system mechanics lol (Might, I could be wrong and competitive players would love to see more of this). Not exactly sure where all this rich guy and only for a graphics update came from

Meh, I think my point was missed.

Just saying it wouldn’t hurt to keep adding content to the current iteration, because it’s really good.

Season 4 is a touchy subject, because clearly we want to see content added to a game we like. I would rather this version continue (so it can develop, mature, and be refined over time to where it’s super great) as opposed to starting a new version which may or may not be very good out of the gate, and then will take at least a year to gain steam.

But at 26 very complicated characters already, S3 is super huge. Adding 8 more characters is risky to me. Eventually it will just be too much to learn (it’s already getting close).

In a perfect world, I would love to see a S4 add only a few characters (3 or 4, maybe? all IG originals) and then spend the rest of their time on polish. Add new training mode features. Add some fan favorites like ultimates. Add more colors/accessories/announcer DLC packs. Make the game’s menus run even smoother. Stuff like that.

Unfortunately, I don’t think it will be easy to convince the money handlers at MS that this is worth the cost of a new season. Improving features that exist and making tons of “quality of life” changes doesn’t lead to sexy advertising and probably not a ton more players. That’s why this is touchy… what I think is probably the best path for the game is probably the least likely path.

8 Likes

If you were to say make a season 4, that means more content and this game continues to get support. If they made KI2 it would be a little to soon since most fighters are not coming to xbox one except injustice and tekken so they should really support this game to show they have faith in their franchise. Making a sequel pretty much would kill this game in every sense of the word and why do that?

2 Likes

If it means more guest characters, then no.

Read this part again. This is my main point

1 Like

I think 4 more characters to bring the roster to an even 30 would be the absolute most any KI game would ever need. At this point I’m more interested in them polishing the game and fixing the visual bugs and stuff like that . Maybee a community fund or 2 for some stages or something later on down the road.

1 Like

Yes I love ur take on this Infil. I only really did this post because I do love this game and worry about what it’s future is gonna be. (At least in the competitive standpoint). I know combo breaker and CEOs numbers went up since last year which is cool

1 Like

Yeah, this. The game has a great assortment of characters already, I don’t think I’m the only one who’d rather see it expanded in other ways.

1 Like

The only KI needs is a new game with UE4 and a japanese developer.

1 Like

Um…no. I see absolutely no way in which KI would benefit from a japanese developer. What exactly would improve from that scenario…Jago would get Ryu’s backstory where he just wonders around the world in an attempt to “git gud” for no apparent purpose other than because reasons?

Well lets see…

We still don’t have ultimates.
We still don’t have Eyedol.
We still don’t have retro stages.
We still don’t have more than one costume per character.
We still don’t have more than one DLC accessory set per character.
We still don’t have online training mode.
We still don’t have Dojo mode for all characters.
We still don’t have alternate “respect” taunts.
We still don’t have about a bazillion requested cosmetic bug fixes.
We still don’t have season 1 stage ultras.
We still don’t have… (the list goes on and on and on)

So yeah, more seasons would be a plus. When they stop making content it’ll stop making money then this game will probably stop being developed and the likelihood of seeing any of the “extras” we want go down the toilet.

2 Likes

Needs more Eyedol

2 Likes