Do we honestly need a Season 4?

It needs 100% more Eyedol.

3 Likes

I think the real question is “can they afford to make a season 4”

Season 3 is looking like a bust so far, alot less streamers and players than in season 2

1 Like

I think a lot of this has more to do with what appears to be their “Meet the Robinsons” approach to content
If you notice they have only really went back & redid anything for the sake of balance adjustments
other than that they just keep moving forward

2 Likes

The amount of Streamers don’t equal to a games success or failure in most cases really. Barely anyone streams Revelator, Pokken (has very good attendance at CEO and EVO) and Skullgirls which a great amount went to northwest majors and Combo Breaker. KIs numbers for Combo Breaker and CEO have gone up from last years.

1 Like

I agree that a whole new season would be a bit much. The game has been around for so long, and even though I only joined when it came to PC, I think chars would start to be less unique after they pass the 30 char mark. Imho the game would just get really bloated and I’d rather they start fresh on another game.

I would love a season 4, well it would depends if Eyedol is the last character or not. If he isnt then yes i am with S4, if he is then GG IMO

1 Like

What I meant to say is that not all of us can afford to buy a new console every now and then just to buy an improved update of what is essentially the same game. Especially if there is a possibility to continue delivering content to the existing game in the existing console. I wouldn’t be particularly interested in buying a new console just to go over the same process of seeing the same characters being released with only graphic updates and minor gameplay tweaks - I’d rather see that in the current system.
Besides, what difference would it make between having to learn a few more matchups in the current iteration and a bunch of new ones in another game?

1 Like

No to a season 4, instead polish up what we do have and move onto the next KI.

I’d rather a sequel!

Some characters feel their purpose has ended. Some can get a new chapter in their lives.

This can be done without making a brand new game.

1 Like

I think a season 4 would be amazing. I think it would be better for his reputation that Eyedoll gets hyped up as the main baddie for his own season. It would fill up all the classic characters from the old games, and then the rest can be filled up with original characters and more guests to draw in more fans.

I would hate to see KI end after finally starting to expand with the PC release and guests. Also, I think a season 4 with mostly new characters and some guests would cater to casuals in the sense that they can finally jump unto the series just like these characters will. I’m sure a lot of people here grew up with Fulgore, Jago, etc, and I think a season 4 with new fighters would be a chance for new players to grow up with them.

2 Likes

What I meant by next gen is for them to create this game for the xbone and PC because KI was meant to be for the 360 but then was cancelled and ported to the xbone (articles and footage of this being on the 360 exists). 8-9 characters aren’t really “a few characters” especially because in this game not only do u have to learn a MU u need to learn how to break them as well unless u just want to be guess breaking the whole time lol. A season 4 seems so risky I worry it might scare players off cause there’s so much u have to learn. I don’t know if MS is willing to fund them to do a new KI tho

1 Like

For Casuals it’s pretty awesome to have a season 4 and probably get new guests like from MK as Ed boon seems interested into to doing something with KI. I’m just thinking more about the game in a tournament and/or competitive standpoint (not starting wars or anything, heck I could be wrong and maybe season 4 turns out to be a good thing for the game)

1 Like

Well obnoxious “Casuals vs Hardcore TRUE fans” demagoguery aside, I think we should get some updates, some visual tweaks and maybe a physical release.

Rather or not that’ll require a 4th season idk. I do feel that maybe KI shouldn’t start with 40-50 characters but should save room for a sequel instead.

I personally dont want a brand new game. Just keep improving this one. Graphical enhancements, characters, modes, etc. It has a great foundation and more players now than ever. Don’t just start over with a new game.

1 Like

I don’t see a sequel coming until at least the next console generation, if we ever see one.

As for season 4, the only way I’d agree to ending it with season 3 is if Eyedol is somehow included and they keep supporting the game with other non-character content. If development stopped at the end of this season, I’d be a strong supporter of season 4.

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry too much. Look at the Tekken games - large rosters with each character having HUNDREDS of different moves. And yet you don’t see a decrease in sales or interest. Also, keep in mind that the general public (which KI is aiming at) isn’t made of competitive, hardcore gamers who learn every move and match-up; it’s casual gamers who simply want to enjoy a good game, without diving too deep into it, like myself. Note that I’m not saying that KI doesn’t cater to “hardcore gamers” - it does - but seeing how easy it is to play and get into it, I wouldn’t say they are the game’s primary targets. For those people, me included, the main draw is the “colorful cast of characters” with their unique traits and abilities. And the more, the merrier, as long as they can maintain a certain degree of originality, before falling into the clone-fest of the likes of MK Armageddon.
Like I said elsewhere in these forums, I’d be satisfied if they just kept adding new content in the form of visual enhancements - like what they did with stages in S3, only this time with character models - and other extras such as the much-requested Ultimates and new stages. As far as characters go, perhaps a few more originals (since a large parte of this season’s were guests) and, of course, Eyedol.

1 Like

I really feel like Armageddeon was more of a “close this chapter of MK” kind of game. They weren’t really trying to make it competitive, interesting, or in any other way
fun
at least as far as game mechanics go. They were just trying to cram all the characters into the game in any way possible so they could wipe the slate clean.

1 Like

And let me tell you, that’s precisely the reason why I bought the game! It felt like a “Greatest Hits” album at the time, with all the characters back. The same happened with Tekken Tag 2. I love those games with their massive, comprehensive rosters, although the flip side of it is having an army of clones with barely indistinguishable moves and attacks. Almost everybody plays alike. I think KI could manage a good balance with up to 35 characters. More than that would probably be too much, unless they could really push their imagination to the limit.

A possible sign of “creativity starting to fade away” would be the inclusion of too many guest characters and the emphasis on “sibling” characters (regardless of their markedly distinct appearances) rather than “standalones”. For instance, Mira is a brand new character and also a brand new archetype (vampire) but her story is too tied to Maya’s. The same would go for Eagle, were he to appear in the game. Hisako and Kan-Ra, on the other hand, are two examples of brand new “standalones” who aren’t (or weren’t at the time of their release) really tied to anyone else.

Previously from my notorious yet truthful post topic of “Is this what we waited 15+ years for?” after playing as Eyedol, I can honestly say that I am ready to give this game another shot and advertise in the positive light as to why Killer Instinct deserves a continuation but with much more content that is bigger than MKXL. Bigger than Tekken 7 or any other fighting game out there. Its time to get serious because the faith and continuation of Killer Instinct, now rests on our hands. I still stand by my old videos I made in the past this year but Eyedol’s frame animations in this game, has given me a new fond hope/respect for this game. FIGHT ON AND SPREAD THE WORD about this fan project http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/killer-instinct-m-u-g-e-n-project-is-back-165187.0.html and my most positive KI3 video ever (watch it tomorrow because it is still uploading) https://youtu.be/qDSsFSpJORQ NO EXCUSES KI FANS and EXTREMISTS! Show me how much you REALLY LOVE KI! #Eyedol #KillerInstinct #Irongalaxystudios #Xbox #ContinueKI #KIseason4 Be honest with yall selves, the current product is seriously lacking but that all can change
IN SEASON 4!