Dead or Alive 6!

I can’t quite say that I didn’t see Kula coming entirely. KOF has a lot of characters that they could’ve included, and there were signs depicting Kula in the first place. Even if I would’ve chosen others myself, she seems to translate well enough.

I’m not sure if it’s fair to throw Nyotengu in there considering Tengu, or all of the bosses for that matter, have existed for a while now. It’s not like any of those characters throw hand-to-hand combat completely out the window either.

Nyotengu with her Japanese dress makes both your own and opponent’s hard to see. That is my only issue actually.

Wouldn’t normal Tengu be worse? That guy was huge

Okay, I must be crazy, but I can’t find where to buy or unlock the two KOF characters. I see them blurred out on the select screen. Aren’t they both available?

PSN Store updates tomorrow, but the update comes out today.

2 Likes

Ah, thanks! Thought I was losing it lol.

Both Mai and Kula play really well.
Not a huge fan of the ice as I mentioned but gameplay wise, Kula is on point. Moveset is a bit limited compared to others including Mai but still not bad.

Kula’s looks are a bit disappointing. I am surprised that team Ninja couldn’t seem to find the same color hair as the original. And her face is now standard DoA doll and lacks some of the personality of the original. Mai, on the other hand, looks good imo.

1 Like

I think I’m happy with them overall. They feel nice to play which is the most important thing IMO. Kula, especially, has a lot of nice little touches in her moveset. There are small things that bother me at the same time though.

Her DP is a QCB now?
Her projectile in this game isn’t even a projectile? What?

That may be because they wanted to separate her from NiCO. But if you ask me, I think it looks the way it should when you compare it to the her recent incarnations. At least in the right lighting.

Maybe it is a bit dark though.

1 Like

DoA6 location test at a Tokyo arcade. Only had one 100yen coin so had to make it count: completed arcade mode, below screenshot of credits rolling :smile:

4 Likes

Haha. Seems like a solid use of 100 yen :joy:

I kind of disliked Ayane from the start (I think the constant rotating put me off) but after a bit more time in the arcades, I am actually starting to like her.

Why is that? The rolling never left.

1 Like

I had a few good matches and enjoyed playing as her more than playing against her. Basically nothing changed, it’s just me.

World Championship starting

Live on YouTube

Go and watch. And remember support Core Values.

Sigh. I’m always struck by how great this game could be if it was a fighting game rather than a delivery vehicle for soft core anime waifu fantasies.

3 Likes

Yes

If they had put VF characters in instead of waifus from other games I’d play DOA6 every day. The only reason I played DOA5 was because of the VF cast.
But hey, in which other country do they have a Mai Shiranui festival? :laughing:
d28651-345-433986-0

I’d honestly love it if the next game Team Ninja did was Dead or Alive Vs Virtua Fighter. Just go all in on it. Make an in-game story / single player mode all about it.

Give us a cast like Akira Yuki, Sarah Bryant, Jacky Bryant, Pai Chan, Lau Chan, Kage-Maru, Jeffrey McWild, Wolf Hawkfield, Dural, Shun Di, Lion Rafale, Aoi Umenokoji, Taka-Arashi, Brad Burns, Goh Hinogami, Lei Fei, Vanessa Lewis, Eileen, El Blaze and Jean Kujo from VF. That’s 20 characters.

From DOA, give us Ayane, Bass Armstrong, Bayman, Gen Fu, Jann Lee, Kasumi, Leifang, Ryu Hyabusa, Tina Armstrong, Zack, Hayate, Helena Douglas, Brad Wong, Christie, Hitomi, Kokoro, Lisa Hamilton, Mila, Rig and Diego. Another 20 characters.

I don’t even need any of these 40 characters changed up all that much, though I’m sure they should probably add some stuff to everyone. But yeah, give us past stages and new stages from both series, some sort of play for ranking and content loop, either to unlock the final five or ten characters from each series or unlock more clothing options, etc. Give us DOA’s survival mode, online and offline ranking modes… All that good stuff.

But yeah, have it be a serious thing about the DOATEC tournament or the VF tournament or whatever and give them clothes that are a bit less on the anime waifu fantasy side.

I’d play the crap out of that game. I know it’s probably just me, but I’d almost assuredly get more play time and more fun out of this than I would out of another Marvel Vs Capcom game. I miss VF that much, and I also think that DOA could be great without focusing so much on the whole “underage looking women with comically large beach balls on their chest” aspect.

2 Likes

Game is not at Evo Japan so that says a lot for such a relatively new game.

I always understood the criticism on the female characters’ designs but the male characters have some of the worst designs too imo. For me personally, it’s the lack of interesting male characters what keeps me from playing. They look so generic, one of my criticisms of VF as well, and many of their battle mechanics have been implemented better in Tekken or VF imho

I have always felt that DOA has a more fluid feel than VF and is more understandable and less deliberately opaque than Tekken.

But I do think the character designs in general for DOA are pretty bland. The female characters get a lot more love and attention in terms of outfits, but the designs of the characters are mediocre.

I have always felt it’s a good game for the audience though, because it’s cinematic and the gameplay is relatively easy to understand compared to most things. But they manage to get booted out of big esports venues for too much cheesecake. Just suggests to me that selling bikinis to perverts is more profitable than fighting game esports.

Yes, gameplay is way more fluid than the other 3D fighters. One of the biggest selling points but sadly obscured by other unnecessary stuff. I watch a lot of Tekken lately but I cannot help but notice how great DOA looks in comparison.

I meant that VF and Tekken have implemented martial arts styles with moves that make characters feel uniquely different. DOA can feel a bit similar across certain characters even though the martial arts styles should allow for more diversity. For example, some of the Ninja characters have similar looking kicks as karate characters.

Strangely, DOA also has in comparison one of the better performing online functionalities.

So, they basically have all the necessary ingredients --graphics, fluid gameplay, reasonable online-- but a lousy chef who keeps adding salt and pepper to a deliciously looking cake :laughing:

1 Like