Crazy...allowing a character like Gargos

Invincible armor that cannot be pierced? What are you talking about. That doesn’t exist. Grounded heavy normals completely ignore armor.

6 Likes

Why do I get the feeling this is the first this guy came back to the game since S1 ended?

1 Like

Right thanks for correcting me. He can use a heavy laser sword… 1 weapon available in the whole arsenal.

That’s not a grounded heavy normal. That’s a heavy special. That doesn’t work.

3 Likes

They’ve nerfed the ■■■■ out of the guy repeatedly since his launch, also jago has f.hk which is his best normal against armored enemies especially gargos. As with any zoner you cannot let them get away as many others have stated you can block his punches and move forward or jump in since L.portal punch if blocked takes forever to recover. Granted this is all before he gets minions, when he does wait patiently and jab them.

1 Like

That’s all well in good, but I this kind of helps make my point. It shouldn’t be THAT hard to have a fair fight. Like with Fulgore, go ahead and do that, I’ll just full screen shadow blade my way in that b*tch. But, with Jago he has to work so so hard just to have a fair fight. I don’t think that’s right. I don’t want to go out there and say that should bring the full-screen shadow windkick back, but they have to offer SOMETHING to counter that BS.

1 Like

Counterpick

Lets see a few thngs Jago can do that Gargos can do nothing about unless he wants to waste his instinct.
-S.Hp into any special for free combo.
-Cr.Hp into any special for free combo.
-S.Hk into any special for free combo.
-Cr,Hk into Sweep infinite Gargos can’t escape without wasting instinct.
-F.Hk into any special for free combo.
-B.Hp into any special for free combo.
He does have stuff to counter Gargos. You just don’t want to use it. At least 2 times in a match, Jago has time to close the distance and excel where Gargos is weak at, If you don’t use it, that is on you. Even if you don’t use it, Jago can still close the distance with some patience which you don’t seem to have.

3 Likes

Best thing to do fighting Gargos with Jago:

• Yes, Walk and Block is a thing. If you are close enough too, you can windkick Gargos before he can send out a portal punch.

• If you have meter, Shadow Windkick is always a viable option.

• Izzik and Dretch (Trident and Fat minions respectively) can only take 2 & 3 hits respectively. Also, if they are knocked down, and Gargos is getting comboed, the minions stay on the ground until the combo is ended.

• Gargos may seem powerful and OP, but without minions, he’s got the worst defense in the game. Keep close to him, and Uppercut him in every chance you get. He’s kinda unsafe on a lot of stuff.

• When he has instinct, hit him with Grounded heavy normals. It can negate armor and start combos. Until he explodes Stoneskin, keep hitting those Heavies!

2 Likes

I’m being completely serious and honest when I say this.

I understand your frustration. Getting in on Gargos with most characters in painful. I’ve had my own share of salt in this department, and I hate the flying around stuff too.

But I keep my cool and win with the understanding that the moment I knock Gargos down, his life bar’s gone. He has no reversal even with meter and his backdash is just ok. So unless he lands a shadow counter or blocks like he reads minds, I got him in checkmate.

Practice timing your dashes and blocking, killing the minions, and keeping pressure. Practice is the only way to improve.

EDIT: And thank you for finally saying something relatable and sensible rather than ranting. It makes people want to help you :wink:

2 Likes

Kind of dated but pretty much all of this true and will work hell if anything jago can punish him now much easier than when this video came out since gargos was nerfed.

2 Likes

I wish I could offer meaningful advice but when I read about “jump light punch spam” (do you mean jump medium punch which is punishable on block?) and “armor is unpunishable” (it loses to throws and grounded heavy normals), I don’t know what I’m supposed to say.

Shadow fireball does an excellent job clearing out minions and will also punish Gargos from most ranges if he happened to throw a portal punch. Walking and blocking in increments is fine. Heck, just block for like 10 seconds if you want, what’s Gargos going to do from full screen? There’s no mixup, the chip is negligible, and eventually you will build meter for shadow fireball.

If you need to approach, do a mixture of walking and blocking, attacking the minions with jab (or guess shadow fireball), and jumping. You can jump over light and medium portal punch and cover a large amount of distance; it requires a read and good timing to get over a minion, but it’s very reasonable to do if you bide your time and don’t just jump at the first opportunity.

When he’s in instinct, challenge with Jago’s superb heavy buttons. If he has two minions AND instinct, then yes it’s going to be tough. Your options are backdash or jump back to create space and wait it out, shadow fireball (does superb damage on Gargos in instinct and from many ranges will not be easily punishable), or try to throw Gargos instead of hitting him with a heavy button.

If you get close to Gargos one time as Jago, you can put him in frame trap hell and, much more often than not, get a good combo opening on him, which he must break or else die. Instinct activation won’t save him from your pressure. His only way out is to break your combo or shadow counter something. You will do much more damage to him than you will take on your way in, unless the Gargos player is seriously outplaying you (although I know that Gargos playing well and deserving to win is not an option for you).

Would you like me to humor you some more? Feel free to read these pages:
http://ki.infil.net/jago.html
http://ki.infil.net/gargos.html

8 Likes

It’s obviously not. You can’t just do an attack from all the way across the screen and hope that it works. So that means you have to walk up to him to make it viable. Hit the minions to kill them first so that you have a clearer path to go across. With lights since they take damage via hits and not just normal damage. Block and dash forward to close distance. It’s the same situation with Deathstroke in Injustice. If you notice that the Gargos you’re fighting is using the low Portal Punch a lot, then jump. If that’s not working, don’t jump. It’s a simple process of learning and adapting.

“With Fulgore, I have a pretty easy one button solution to anything Gargos tries from range! See? Such a fair fight!”

Your definition of a fair fight needs to be broadened, and if you think playing Gargos is easy enough such that characters need universal one button solutions to get in because otherwise they immediately lose, then I recommend trying to play Gargos for a bit to find out why that’s not the case. He has several serious weaknesses that you might encounter, and then you can start to think about how to attack those weaknesses with your main character.

8 Likes

In all honesty @Infilament, I thought for a second those links were gonna take the low road like what you did with Shadow Jago.

#NoWeaknesses

19 Likes

Not gonna lie. I avoid Gargos matchups when I can. OP boss character, which is what he’s supposed to be I guess. They nerfed him, but he’s still a boss character IMO. Luckily, I don’t earn my salary from playing KI. So, I can avoid the matchups with Gargos and another character I won’t mention in this thread (unless I’m in a particularly strange mood).

I, myself, have trouble with Gargos. My three primarily mained characters (Arbiter, Cinder and Riptor) don’t have too many things that could stop Gargos from annoying the hell out of you, Cinder’s got good pressure tools, but it’s not really what I’m on about…

With Jago, while not knowing the matchup itself, Gargos can still get an upper hand to himself, Jago doesn’t have any fullscreen attacks that get him moving to another place.

And it’s true, Swordsman is right, Laser Sword is an opener, and nothing else, really. It’s not going to straight up summon 500 endokukens to go straight towards him, is it?

Yeah, he can take full distance coverage, but with Gargos, there is one simple trick that could stop him, if you do it correctly, play with his mind, constantly and not think out a specific gameplan. Gargos players tend to keep you away for a long time, if not, for the entire match. Just make sure to fire endokukens if he’s trying to grab ahold of you, or if you like, catch him out with J. HK, and then rush in with Jago until you think he’ll take distance.

That’s usually one gameplan for me if I were to play Jago against Gargos. Just a thought.

If I can block a portal punch and get in with Aganos’ natural disaster roll for a hit into combo punish from nearly full-screen before he does another portal punch, I think you’ll find a way to get in. :wink:

1 Like

Play with Gargos for a while. Against Killer players, not bronzes or silvers.

You will learn the multiple weakness that Gargos has, and how to take advantage of them

1 Like

As a fellow Arbiter player, I ask that you stop spreading nonsense. We have all the tools we need to eat Shadow Lords for breakfast.

Pain and Panic can live. They’re cool.

3 Likes