Character Backstory - The Firecat's Summoning

Because, as said several times before, our current KI is a retcon that takes elements from the previous games but is it’s own continuity.

I think it’s a fairly safe assumption that she chose to name the child after Jacob and told the monks the child’s name when she left him with them. I’d go as far as to say that’s relatively implied.

As for real world influences… I don’t personally mind them. I like the balance between the fantastical and the semi-grounded reality that they’re creating. They seem to be making an attempt at actually creating the type of world where these characters can believably function and part of that seems to be relating to things that we might be a little familiar with.

I don’t think that Seal Team 6 is particularly overused, though to be fair, I’m not a huge Tom Clancy nut or FPS player so I’m not sure where I’d even run in to a lot of the military aspects that you seem to feel are a bit overused. That’s fine though, we all bring our own personal preferences and familiarity to things that we read.

I certainly don’t begrudge you for having an opinion. I thought it was a pretty fun read and you seem okay with it. Even if you weren’t though… Ya know. To each his own. :grin:

1 Like

Well his name originates from bad pronunciation, “She couldn’t pronounce his name properly—Jacob—and called him “Jay-go” which made him laugh”. I suppose it is implied that she gave the monks his name before she left him there, albeit Jago seems like it derived from Asian roots. Just the thought of Jago having an alternative name given to him by his parents wouldn’t be a nice touch on top of what the monks labeled him.

I wouldn’t argue your perspective as it is reasonable for the writers to follow down this writing path. My argument lies in adding more lore and fiction to the world rather than leaning on what’s there. Either approach is fine though, just the type to pull the roots of a story and discover rather than familiarize.

Since the Bin Laden incident, we have seen a frenzy of news related to Seal Team 6 whether it was interviews with former members, movies, documentaries, there was certainly more of an emphasis on that particular unit. So much so, that it put the members in danger (leaning towards a conspiracy here) whereas, they intentionally faked their deaths to remain covert. Regardless, you hear more of Seal Team over Green Berets, Ranger, or even Marine Recons.

I wouldn’t say I didn’t enjoy it. I just wanted to express some of my gripes. But agreed, “to each his own”.

1 Like

The reason why this is my least favorite story so far. :persevere: still love the work put into this.

1 Like

I think anumbe rof people are forgetting that we have instances of characters like Aganos, Spinal, and a number of other things. Orchid’s story may seem pretty grounded in reality but this is where she is from.

If this were about Spinal or a character of mythical nature we would be hearing things like magic, and monsters and such. Once Spinal comes out I’m sure we’ll get the balance and sense of lore.

Well, I’m the type of guy that usually picks characters based on appearances, and movesets. However, I feel like sometimes the character’s backstory can make or break the character too. Imagine if Orchid was just a generic spy, doing her own thing. I’d feel like she wouldn’t be interesting enough to play, IMO. While Story sometimes doesn’t matter for Fighting Game Characters, I feel a good backstory can get you pumped up and excited for a character. I’m sure after reading Orchid’s backstory, you are satisfied with the result, and glad that Orchid got a Badass story.

Think about it like this. I play Phoenix Wright in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. “Why, He’s the lowest tier character!”, you say. But I love his story and the man behind the Objections is pretty epic. A lawyer, slightly fresh out of School and working at a law firm with his boss, learning the ropes, about to take on your first case, against a so called “Rookie-Killer”. After narrowly winning, sometime later, you find out that your boss has been killed, and her sister that you just met that same day you know nothing about, and you become framed for the murder of your boss. Now, you must protect and prove that you and your boss’s sister are innocent. And Nobody believes you but the sister. Against all odds, you have to be the one to prove you didn’t do it, and uncover a conspiracy behind the murder, that is bigger than yourself. And you are still a rookie lawyer!

(Lol Wall of Text. I just described pretty much the first two cases in Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. And I’m sure a lot of people think Phoenix Wright is goofy, which he is, but he has a pretty badass story as well, and the story can sometimes make or break the characters. Like The Last of Us, or The Walking Dead, story is a huge part of a game, that helps the development of the characters, and flesh out who they truly are.)

That’s Why. I’ve been watching & following Killer Instinct since 2013, but I got Killer Instinct in March, so to me, it’s still new, and hasn’t been two years. :smile:

1 Like

I’m guessing either Orchid’s slide has crosses or she’s getting a teleport of sorts… possible smoke screen(variable) attack. ex-Soviets is probably relates to new character (?) Orchid’s was marked as a terrorist and the SWD is after her so (?)

I’m liking these story they’re good reads

Rash
Guest 2
Guest 3(?)
Kim Wu
Tusk
Gargos
Eagle
New alien
Disavowed Member
SWD member(?)

Don’t forget MS too! Great job to everyone involved!

As far as her gameplay mechanics, I’m kinda thinking that she’ll be able to summon Firecats from behind the enemy as well as the front during instinct. It doesn’t quite fit the covert description, but due to all the focus on firecats in the story, as well as the whole using the element of surprise thing, I think it’s still a decent possibility.

Loving the amount of depth put into these stories! Yay for firecats! :pouting_cat:

1 Like

I have enjoyed reading every backstory so far it has been a really good read, well done team, looking forward to the many weeks of storytelling to come!. In regards to the devs hinting possible changes/buffs the character will receive I can wait it out. :smile:.

But orchid is hotter then dark will to me she is and I wonder if orchid is still like 40 our something

There is always a fan-fiction, which isn’t canon and thus shouldn’t affect it. All it did was prove a hypothesis ya may of had wrong. But I wouldn’t let it bug ya.

While it’s nice to have theories on what’s what, I don’t think it’s always wise to assume stuff as true unless the devs confirm it : >

honestly fan-fiction sould just fan-fiction because it’s fun, not because it has to be true.

When people write fan-fiction it should just be for fun, nothing more. :> makes things easier to enjoy life.

On topic, I think this story was quite interesting on Orchid’s account, and I’m curious to see what Orchid’s planning.

1 Like

Wow, that was a lengthy sucker. I feel like so far her backstory tied into other peoples the most (Jago, Maya, TJ, Eagle, Aria, heck even Glacius) and I didn’t expect this kind of angle. I’m glad they didn’t try to make a super complex explanation of the fire cat and I look forward to Spinals backstory next Monday (if it doesn’t get delayed).

Well, not really… His mother’s side is left ambiguous by this line

Aside from the structuring of the story and some grammar issues,

that felt really out of place in that part of bio, a little earlier in the story when her father goes AWOL would’ve been a better place to add this.

“If” would’ve been a more appropriate word instead of unless which makes it sound like she shouldn’t use it in the extreme situations.

but yes, aside from those issues, I really liked the backstory. Orchid was my first choice to main and this bio does do her the amount of justice she deserves. Worth the wait.

1 Like

I agree. Still though, this was a marked improvement over the previous installments. That alone makes me smile. :slight_smile:

Now that’s a good back story. These weekly releases bring back some of the hype the monthly charcter releases had. Love it.

1 Like