At Least I Have Hands: a thread for therapy and amputee jokes

@NitricZenith I wanna watch Planet Terror now…

@Dayv0 OMG you’re totally correct - I can only ever start off on the RIGHT foot! That should make staying motivated and in good spirits a bajillion times easier! Also, the surgical staff got a laugh out of the WRONG LEG notice as well, which was strange because I had assumed such a joke would be overdone. I was wrong, much to my delight.

@FallofSeraphs76 Yeah man! I can’t wait to be up and around again! My dog is gonna be so hype to have me along on walks again, and I’m so hype for it! I think the epidural is working quite well, because I feel almost too energetic, but I can’t feel below my hips, so so much for excess energy… The phantom sensations are a trip though… Either way, I’m gonna be in hospital(s) for at least the next month, maybe longer, so updates ye shall have. Once I get transferred to the physical rehabilitation facility I will be free of the IV in my hand, AND permitted to bring recreational technologies, so when not practicing steps and strides I’ll be able to hit y’all up for some sets.

I just can’t wait to be walking again. This bed is already driving me bugfuck…

6 Likes

I’ve heard that the more willing you are to accept that your limb is gone the less phantom sensations/pain you’ll have, and judging from how you seem to be taking things that should be minimal in no time.

My father-in-law struggles with his phantom pains, but he’s pretty much hard-wired to reject change, so any minor change upsets him, and large ones, such as losing a loved one, just tears him up one side and down the other because he won’t move past it.

Anyway I’m sure your phantom sensations won’t be a menace.

1 Like

Your brain just lost a leg. Your brain is going to miss Your left leg for a long time lol

1 Like

Glad you’re doing good brother! You’ve certainly come a long way from when you first came across the issues, expressed your worries and finally make it through this life changing surgery. I know this might sound silly and please don’t take it the wrong way, as I am assuming and not so much speaking for you. That said, I am quite envious of you in a way. Okay, okay, I get the elephant in the room as to why someone would feel envy in such a situation? My envy doesn’t necessarily stem from the results or what happened as much as the journey you went through and how positive you remained. I lose my ■■■■ when something stupid comes my way and here you are making jokes about losing a limb. Sure, I’m sure you would wish it had not gone about that way, but your tenacity and look on life makes me realize how to not let such minuscule and even big problems ruin my day because they will pass and in the end, it will work out somehow or some way.

My point is that I am proud to know that you have gone through such an experience and hang your head high. I wish you a speedy recovery and all the best going forward with your life. Also, wouldn’t be fair if I didn’t end without a positive joke… you now get shoes half-off. Okay, that was a terrible joke. I’ll just stick to being a joke with Jago. Lol, all the best dude, shine on!

3 Likes

Glad that it went fine, with no problem!

I’ve been lurking around, but I should pop in here more. So remember, you aren’t obligated to get just a leg. You could get a flipper or something neat lol.

Can you imagine?

Swimming would be a breeze :joy:

2 Likes

No kidding…

I went through 2 solid weeks of anxiety about having…let’s say an in-depth examination and pretty much didn’t sleep for the last 3 days leading up to the procedure, was terrified something would go wrong and they’d tear something or I’d react badly to the sedative, which is nothing in comparison to this. But remember we all react and are affected by things in different ways, I’ve spent years being too hard on myself and it’s still a difficult habit to kick, but don’t feel bad, everyone has their way of coping. The divine sleep after my procedure and being able to have a day off work to read and play KI and the immense relief after everything was done lead to one of the most relaxing days I’ve had so far this year.

Anyway, not to hijack this thread, but the point is, don’t be upset with how you deal with things, just learn from the experiences and be glad that you have gotten through and dealt with said thing. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@oTigerSpirit I’m unsure of how to adequately express this, but that meant a lot to me.

@NitricZenith Yes, that! We’ve all got garbage that murks up our life once in a while, and we’re all gonna handle our issues in our way. So long as we learn and grow from our trials, we’ve done well.

If a single individual is inspired or encouraged to get thru the tough stuff w a laugh or a bout of stoicism… I am proud to know who grows in their humanity, into “mad black formal sunflowers in the sunset…”

Welcome to the next exciting phase of your life.

Did you ask to keep the sawed off part? You could get it fixed and mounted and keep it around the house. Halloween would be ■■■■■■■ brilliant.

I’ve been reading a book about military science which delves into amputees and war wounds. A small but significant number of those amputees end up with some damage to their junk as well. So add to the list of joys in your life that the boys remain intact.

I don’t know if anyone has mentioned this, but your ability to be an extra in movies where people get limbs hacked off has just gone through the roof. There’s a studio in LA that rents out their backlot for military training exercises to simulate the chaos of combat for training medics. They hire a lot of amputees to get rigged up to shoot fake blood out of their stumps and cool ■■■■ like that. They have cool names for their amputee advocacy organizations like “Missing something.” I think I’m actually a little jealous of you. Just think about how fun it would be to sit on the ground yelling “aw ■■■■ man, don’t let me die!” While some 19 year old wets his pants and ■■■■■ up putting a tourniquet on you.

I’d also like to encourage you to make up dozens of bullshit stories about how and why you lost your foot. People will believe anything you say because no one will argue with an amputee. Man, think about it. You could probably eat free at IHOP for the rest of your life (see what I did there?).

8 Likes

What the hell, man? XD

2 Likes

Dude, someone posted earlier about s friend who did this. Reduce reuse recycle, am I right? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Hey a friend of mine actually did just that and started her own instagram about her skeletal foot. She even got on the news because of it.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Dude, also two words: Handicapped Parking. And if you want to park in all those “reserved for veterans spaces” and then hop out missing a foot, no ones going to argue with you. Probably buy you a beer. You may never have to buy a beer again in your life if you come up with a good enough story about your foot.

6 Likes

One of those stories needs to involve a brawl with no less than 3 bears and you as the victor, and every bear within a 3-state radius running for their lives when they see a 1-legged man hopping towards the woods…

5 Likes

At least one story needs to involve Chuck Norris

8 Likes

At least one story should include slipping on a banana peel.

6 Likes

Holyshit dude, I’m cracking up over here! Much love, fella!

It makes me feel like a ■■■■, but I’ve been compiling a list of silver linings, handicap parking def being one of them. Not so savvy on the profitable dishonesty, I think my juju has wrought enough chaos in my life.

I wish we could’ve kept it, but they were pretty serious about “not being able to pass on medical waste” - we hadn’t made any preparation for it anywho.

If I’m being candid, it was the first round of surgeries back in November that messed up my junk. Nothing grotesque, just pain whenever it makes contact w anything. Fortunately, they didn’t make it any worse this time.

I hadn’t thought of marketability as a film extra! That could be both profitable AND fun! Moreover, the possibilities for stories! Oh man, my brother-in-law has a whole gaggle of young’ns to tell wild stories to!

Oh boy the future is bright!

5 Likes

I got 2 more story ideas. One should involve saving a box of kittens. The other, a survival story about a hiking expedition during a snowstorm gone horribly wrong.

3 Likes

Although I live a clean honest life, there are times and places where dishonesty is expected and encouraged. I’m a fisherman so I speak with authority on this. If you are in a bar and have the opportunity to say “did I ever tell you how I lost this foot?” Then that is one of those times.
Trust me. Would I lie?

You can also add to your silver linings only having to take off one shoe to go through airport security.

2 Likes

I checked out her instagram and all the photos…pretty cool, but odd seeing a real human leg/foot in her hand and others hands/mouths LOL

2 Likes