3.8 Patch Notes

Nicky said hes actually more excited to play Fulgore again now than he has been in a long time. For him the changes mean truly exploring everything the character has to offer.

12 Likes

Thatā€™s actually how I felt when TJ was getting nerfed. If Kim wasnā€™t in the game, there would be a high chance Iā€™d play TJ instead. I felt the character was too powerful at first. But as they started toning stuff down to his current iteration now, Iā€™ve had more fun with him than ever before.

7 Likes

your optimism never ceases to amaze me

Granted thatā€™s not a bad thing mind you :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Overall, I like the changes.

Well, I guess I canā€™t say anything to that then. I certainly wish Nicky the best, but I donā€™t think I can do it. 3.7 really upset meā€¦this patch just depresses me. Iā€™m definitely done with the bot on Tuesday, he just isnā€™t for me anymore.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to play me till then, may as well go out with a bang.

Maybe you just should try it after the changes before dooming him into oblivion

3 Likes

I already feel like Iā€™m forcing myself to play him and stay positive after 3.7 ā€“ Whether Iā€™m right or wrong, I personally thought 3.7 killed him. If Iā€™m already unhappy, why would I want to try again after another 13 nerfs?

Donā€™t worry dude! Try him first, before sending him to the shadow realm. If you still donā€™t like it, then do as you please.

Honest question:

Before this patch, in the current oneā€¦ do you believe Fulgore has bad MUs?

If so, who?

Do you believe he is hopeless against these characters?

Have you considered using another character? From my experience, I put Fulgore down for a while and played with the rest of the cast. Coming back, I appreciated Fulgoreā€™s toolkit a lot more than before.

1 Like

Criticize me all you like but I think thanks to his meter being 100% dependent on his opponentā€™s pressure, I feel like he has multiple bad match ups now.

The worst in 3.7 was Gargos, because with how hard it is to get meter to begin with, Gargos takes 2 pips after every command grab. You will NEVER have meter to do anything with.

I spoke with Storm at CEO and he suggested that maybe Iā€™m too dependent on meter. I took that with an open mind and tried to reinvent my game based around Fulgoreā€™s normals, but now theyā€™re all getting nerfed now tooā€¦

Let me ask you a question: Do you think season 3 at launch was the most ridiculously imbalanced game ever made? Because Fulgore has now received about 30 nerfs since then. We never saw situations like MKX had where 5 of the top 8 was Tanya, yet heā€™s been nerfed probably more than any other character at this point (I do acknowledge that he was the best at launch, Iā€™m not trying to minimize that, but holy shit when does it end?)

Do you actually realize how much has been taken away from this character? I honestly donā€™t even know what heā€™s supposed to do now, zoning has been nerfed, meter gain has been nerfed, instinct mode has been nerfed, damage has been nerfed, frame advantage has been nerfed on lasers, then nerfed again on lasers and now on normals too, m and h dp is no longer invulnerable, teleport is more visible (probably the only truly legit nerf Imo) and people STILL say ā€œheā€™s got so many tools.ā€

What the hell is it going to take for someone to actually admit, ā€œhey, maybe he isnā€™t so good anymore?ā€

Or does the simple fact that he has a meterless DP make him good, because if thatā€™s the case Orchid must be top tier too. Hell, she can meterlessly cancel slide into DP now too.

1 Like

Thank you guys so much for fixing Aganosā€™ natural disaster bug. It was incredibly annoying!

1 Like

Take a deep breath my man, I can tell you are posting frustrated again. It will be alright. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just cause something is nerfed doesnā€™t immediately make it useless. You are overestimating how much his changes have affected him.

3 Likes

I disagree. Gargos has a bad MU against Fulgore. I co-main Gargos and if you want some advice, I could give you some, but letā€™s not derail this thread

Some of his great normals remain the same, like standing LK or F+HP, and the frame data of the c. kicks isnā€™t that bad. Also, you should be using blade charge, is a great preassure move

I donā€™t believe launch s3 was ā€œimbalancedā€. But you canā€™t isolate Fulgoreā€™s nerfs. Other chars got nerfs, other system changes ocurredā€¦ Overall, the game is more polished now. [quote=ā€œParamisery, post:173, topic:21410ā€]
Do you actually realize how much has been taken away from this character? I honestly donā€™t even know what heā€™s supposed to do now, zoning has been nerfed, meter gain has been nerfed, instinct mode has been nerfed, damage has been nerfed, frame advantage has been nerfed on lasers, then nerfed again on lasers and now on normals too, m and h dp is no longer invulnerable, teleport is more visible (probably the only truly legit nerf Imo) and people STILL say ā€œheā€™s got so many tools.ā€
[/quote]

He is still one of the best zoners, and he still will have great preassure. He may be no longer the best in eachā€¦ but he is still very good in each. He has good mobility, good mixups, good anti airs, good dashes, versatilityā€¦ [quote=ā€œParamisery, post:173, topic:21410ā€]
What the hell is it going to take for someone to actually admit, ā€œhey, maybe he isnā€™t so good anymore?ā€
[/quote]

He may not be as good as was beforeā€¦ but I still see him being very strong

Okay, you claim heā€™s one of the best zoners ā€“ explain to me how he CURRENTLY is one of the best zoners. Again, he WAS, tell me how he is now.

Outside of a perfectly pip cancelled DP he canā€™t zone characters with slides.

He might not be able to pip cancel into DP characters who get in by air now thanks to m and h DP no longer being invulnerable, maybe I lose, maybe we trade. And if I do land it, thereā€™s no follow up, its simply a DP with a soft knockdown.

Hitting with all 3 fireballs as a combo costs 2 pips, lowers your reactor speed 3 levels, and does exactly 23 damage according to training mode. For comparison, a single uncharged Jago fireball does 24 damage.

I guess that leaves his heavy eye laser, which, I wonā€™t deny is pretty good, but it got a 37% damage reduction since the start of s3. Though landing it plus teleport lowers reactor speed 4 levels. (1+3)

So please, I beg you, tell me what it is Iā€™m missing. Iā€™d love to love my character again, explain to me what it is thatā€™s so amazing about his zoning now.

1 Like

Fulgore is a good zoner because he has a full screen laser that beats other projectiles, can throw multiple firebals at once, punish you for trying to navigate his zoning and then switch and turn into a pressure character in a second.

1 Like

Keits explained his zoning (granted it was an year ago and Iā€™m paraphrasing a bit) as: Fulgore throws fireball, if opponent blocks Fulgore can go for mix up or frame trap, if opponent jumps forward Fulgore can DP them, if opponent jumps away Fulgore just throws another one, if opponent tries to counter zone Fulgore can multi-fireball through them. Fulgore throwing a fireball puts the opponent in a lose lose situation IF the Fulgore player can react accordingly.

4 Likes

-shrug- Iā€™ll play him for a week after 3.8 as well. I donā€™t think the changes were really warranted, but he still has good tools. Theyā€™re a bit less good now, but I donā€™t actually think they change him on that fundamental of a level. I used cr.MK, but never in a way that would be affected by this patch. I wasnā€™t frame trapping with it anyway, so Iā€™ll basically just keep not frame trapping with it.

Specifically to @JEFFRON27 - Fulgoreā€™s heavier DPā€™s will still work just fine as anti-airs.

Your problem is that you are always looking at the detriments of a character instead of how their strengths make up for it. Sounds like someone I know who played Kim Wu once upon a timeā€¦

Sure your zoning has weaknesses that other zoners donā€™t have to care about, but that doesnā€™t mean you canā€™t keep out and outzone most characters in the roster. Including Jago.

Youā€™re also neglecting to mention that his zoning tools combined with good dashes and the option to teleport in at any time makes him hard to catch up to and anti-zone.

You bring up slides, but slides need to be performed in anticipation in order to punish any projectile you throw out, and all of them are unsafe at full screen.

Like I said, think about WHY people say heā€™s good instead of pretending everyone is clueless.

2 Likes