3.7 Patch Notes

I’m honestly confused at these patch notes. They nerfed the things that needed nerfing on Jago, but then turn around and make a largely worthless change to Fulgore? Who actually cancels laser into fireball?

Fulgores problem isn’t pip cancels anymore. You guys fixed those issues. It’s the fact that he can be halfway through his combo before he becomes visible again after his teleport. He gets a free INVISIBLE high/low left/right mixup on his teleport. Remove that, and a large portion of the salt surrounding him will go away.

Every Fulgore who (rightly) plays zoning ever.

9 Likes

On EVERY patch note: Jago is a strong character blah blah blah blah and then f***ed up! Come on just erase him. every one hate him. WtF on this? Every time? Really? You f°•○kup too much this character. Probably every one loves to hate him.
@IronGalaxy @rukizzel @TheKeits

1 Like

I get the feeling the raam change is going to get taken back. Been fooling around in training mode and having two of those cancels per bar is a little goofy.

1 Like

I’ve finally came to like jago. You could probably make the same argument for rash. I still hate that guy. So let’s not be rash here.

how dare you say something like that , i play sadira too and its a fun and challenge to fight the actual jago and gargos , and i just dont get it ,why they are goin to get nerf!!! i really hate this decision that was all the fun in those characters

when you are dead you cannot been bringing back to life ! iam sorry, next one to be rip ----jago![quote=“BiyemAssi237, post:41, topic:19445, full:true”]
When I read that jago windkick nerf
[/quote]
stop the hate bro and go to church! and learn how to love your neighbourg

I’ve kinda drifted away from the community in the last few months as my life has gotten busier, so I’m reading these patch notes with a sense of detachment and not really getting worked up over them.

That said, I don’t think I’m interested in playing Jago anymore.

Blow-by-blow:

Light Windkick is now -4 on block (was -2).

Doesn’t matter. Move is still safe, opponent always could take offensive turn back on block at risk of eating a DP. A couple extra frames allows the opponent to check with a juicier button, and that’s more-or-less it.

Heavy Windkick is now -11 on block (was -7)

See, I always assumed that every character had a 7-frame medium button that was up to the task of picking up the punish on a blocked heavy wind kick, and even if I’m not wrong about that, I’m actually all for this going from 1-frame punish to comfortably (or even hilariously) punishable, because I generally appreciate it when players at lower skill levels can participate in the same interactions as the top players. This change is good for the game, and if there were characters who couldn’t pick up the punish here before then 1) I wish I’d known before so I could abuse it; and 2) it’s good to know they’ll (hopefully?) be able to now.

Double Roundhouse is now +2 on block (was +3)

Probably doesn’t matter. There’s a fair bit of pushback on double roundhouse, so this might lead to scrambles where opponents with faster normals outside of Jago’s stMP range could challenge Jago’s frame advantage a little more easily, but for the most part +2 is still pretty firmly Jago’s turn.

Neck Cutter now hits on frame 22 (was 19) and has a slight range reduction

It’s hard to say how many openings are going to be lost in practice by giving opponents those extra three frames to register the tell of a neck cutter. I would guess that it won’t be that many offline, but also I think this gives online players a fighting chance to react to the move (effectively 16 frames online is a very difficult window), so this could be healthy for online play. The range reduction probably matters more, but we don’t know how much range the move is losing yet.

Philosophically I don’t mind this nerf. I think of Jago as a character who cares about enforcing patience and punishing impatience, who wins by frustrating opponents with a solid safe game and prolonged offensive turns. A frame trapper with solid defense, not a mixup character. He has neck cutter to open degenerately patient players, but I think the character wants most of his conversions to come from catching people not blocking at all than from forcing opponents to guess the correct way to block. Making neck cutter more reactable pushes him further in this direction.

Endokuken damage reduced by 20% [This will lower Jago’s life swing during instinct and his 1-chance damage a little.]
Big Endokuken damage reduced by 20%

Sure. I thought meter gain reductions were by far the most obvious change to make to endokuken, but this might end up mattering.

I’m curious to see if there really is a happy medium with Jago’s unbreakable lifegain juggles where Jago players are happy to sink the meter into it, but opponents are also think it’s reasonable to get hit by and don’t get super salty over it. If IG keeps pushing downward on this (that is, if IG really feels Jago is sitting on top of the heap after 3.7), then maybe we’ll find out.

Shadow Windkick is now -1 on block (was +1)

Most of the time opponents are going to want that juicy shadow counter, but shadow wind kick can be a reasonable thing to randomly throw out at midscreen against meterless opponents, so I guess this isn’t completely irrelevant.

If the changes stopped here, I’d probably be annoyed that IG are mostly nerfing Jago by way of little convenience nicks and scratches that degrade the quality of life for Jago players but don’t measure up to noticeably easier matches for opponents.

Medium Windkick is now -6 on block

This is the only change that matters. It’s a huge nerf, and I don’t know how it affects Jago’s placement in tiers (top 5 seems optimistic). But Jago is a fundamentally different character now, hell KI is a different game now.

I think this marks the end of an era, that’s maybe been coming since the season 3 rebalance where characters like Wulf lost their unreactable midscreen mixups (which I expressed apprehension over back then) and harmless safe characters like Jago got fun new toys like fireball charging to play with. After the rebalance, characters like Jago and Fulgore emerged with powerful safe games, unchecked by the powerful unsafe games of season 2, and there was this slow realization that no, those characters were strong in season 2, they were just undeveloped by American players. I take this nerf as a confirmation that we’re now all the way playing at a different level of offensive potency – which is fine on its own terms, but I don’t think I want to play that game, or at least I don’t think I want to play as Jago in it.

With this change, Jago leans harder on normals to approach and control space. He safely (more than safely, really) threatens the range of his standing HP, and his movement is pretty average, so opponents should be able to hover outside of HP range and threaten his advance with pokes and play a credible whiff punish game, without worrying so much about having their repositioning checked by a wind kick. The expected lifeswing on a random wind kick is 0 if opponents spend 50% of their time blocking now, which gives them plenty of leeway to move within that range.

It’s not Street Fighter, but it’s closer to a Street Fighter meta than I really want out of KI. I enjoy special-driven interactions at the midscreen that represent credible threats to space. It gives KI a different flavour, one where we have a whiff punish game on the lip of the midrange and a much deeper pressure game within range of normals. If I thought IG were the sort of devs to cave to peer pressure, I’d suspect they were making this change to make the game more appealing to the wider FGC, players who never seem to want a break from normal-driven footsies and who someone like Keits would really want to finally appreciate the game he sinks so much of his life into. As it stands, I just don’t really get why they’d do this.

But like, if this is what they really want to do, then sure. Balancing a fighting game is immensely hard and complex and involves a lot of unpleasant sacrifices, and they are in far better a position to know what the game needs than I am. This is the one change I never wanted to see, but the IG combat design team are good dudes, and I harbor no animosity over this. (I might also want it to go on the record that I didn’t turn into a child and ■■■■ on the game for 6 months when the combat design of the game went against me, unlike the PaulB’s and Rico Suave’s of the world.)

Also I just started a masters, so I’m super busy now, and this might make it easier to detach and focus on that. And if I have the time to keep going with the game, I still have Riptor, whose wind kick and frame traps remain delightfully intact. (I also get access to a filthy mixup game that I never asked for, easier ways to get in at plus frames, more range on that wind kick as well as nasty backup options, …)

That said, some vindictive stuff:

1. Doesn’t Fulgore also have a safe wind kick? I realize this risks move-to-move comparison-drawing, but Fulgore also has a similar frame trap game and comparable defense. The interactions are very similar as far as I can tell, even before you start thinking about fulgore’s credible zoning and amazing teleport vortex. (Sorry in advance for any future nerfs, Fulgore players.)
  2. A few comments I disagree with:

Jago … doesn’t really struggle at any range

Jago struggles outside of medium wind kick range. Proper zoners hose him at full screen (as they should), but also rushdown characters like Wulf often have the ability to sit and wait for a whiff punish on a wind kick from outside of midscreen, and then be upon Jago within an instant.

Making Windkick punishable is a big change for Jago, and it will require that Jago players approach opponents more thoughtfully than just throwing out medium or heavy windkicks.

I wish the devs wouldn’t lend credibility to the idea that a safe medium wind kick is thoughtless. It’s a ■■■■■■ thing to say, it denies the idea that there is thought and depth in a meta where the midrange is controlled with safe forward-moving checks. To me it’s among the most interesting interactions in fighting games. Others think it’s thoughtless because it drowns out the interactions that they want to be having, but that says more about their willingness to take the tools for what they are and see where they lead, than it says about whether the resulting interactions have any interesting structure.

Anyway, I can’t promise a lot of replies if this post catches attention, mostly because I can’t spend a lot of time on here during the week like I used to. I’ll eventually try to respond to anyone who doesn’t descend into ad hominem just because they think my views on the game are warped and wrong.

9 Likes

So the main things I’m taking from this:

-Shadow Lords Fixes and Improvements! Awesome! I’m much more motivated to hop back in and go for my missing skins (Eyedol, Kilgore, and Shin Hisako mimics).

-Jago is unsafe on Windkick, and Endokouken deals less damage. These are some big changes, but he’s still got some tricks up his sleeve. Jagos will need to make some adjustments and start using other tools.

-Glacius’s normals are now much less unsafe. Quality of life change.

-More Risk/Reward for Orchid. Good.

-Fixing the Fulgore instinct spin bug. Good.

-Dagger Assault damage buff. I wondered how they’d take a crack at improving it. Also mantis juggle Nerf. Probably good.

-Fixing PD for Kan Ra. Good.

-Gargos loses his HDK on Space Suplex. A good call considering the damage and spacing it gives him. And considering how good his pressure gets when he’s on a roll the damage nerf is probably warranted.

-RAAM can now use Kryll Cancels for the cost of Shago Surge rather than a full bar. This is probably going to make him VERY wacky. He just got a lot more mobile thanks to this.

-Kilgore PD Nerf and Bug Fixes. Definitely good.

-Bug Fixes and Normalization for everyone.

1 Like

I agree with Fnr on the M wind kick change. With respect, it’s probably my least favorite change the combat team has made so far through all of seasons 2 and 3, and while I don’t think Jago tumbles to bottom tier or anything extreme like that, I feel he is a considerably less fun character to play now and will probably struggle more than the team thinks he will.

Perhaps the team thinks M wind kick is the “problem move” that makes Jago an unchecked top tier, but I dunno if I agree. I think it’s a strong move that forces people to respect Jago at a range where he… kinda has to work hard-ish to maintain against characters with better zoning. If I had total control of the game, I think a small nerf to his overhead (what the team did seems fine, without having seen it in action) and a slight nerf to healing (this maybe is the true source of the frustration?) is what I would have done. Instead, it seems the team doubled down on the healing being the most important part of Jago’s arsenal and took away one of his key space control tools. For compensation, Jago has to hit confirm every normal from outside point blank now (most notably, long-range overheads have no safe cancel) or approach with risky, very minus fireball dash cancels, which are good only when used sparingly. I feel like he will get really dunked by characters outside sweep range now, since overhead and M wind kick are both worse. So I’m not entirely sure where Jago should be standing, since even further out is really bad news. I guess he is a close range fighter now?

This is, of course, assuming that M wind kick is always punishable. Perhaps at the tip it will be a “safe -6” and it will not be as bad in practice as it sounds on paper. I think it’s unlikely but I will leave room for this possibility.

I think you’d be surprised how many characters could not punish this move. Aria, for example, has no 7 frame medium buttons at all and no fast shadow moves. Outside of blade body DP, she had 0 answer to this move if blocked (it was effectively medium wind kick from nearly full screen). Arbiter also struggles to punish it, just to name another.

2 Likes

there’s always going to be pointing fingers at characters who have similar attributes that got nerfed or buffed. that will never change. that famous line…“oh, what about X,Y,Z character?” these characters will never be totally even and if they were I’d quit playing.

instead of all the damage nerfs… how about giving everyone a 3rd life bar? cause that’s essentially where this is going. lol.

I just hope IG Dosent make this game so “competitively balanced”, that it looses somethings in the process.

last week I got into a big argument with storm145…or something about this very issue. lol. I said take fulgores lazer plasma cancels away and stop complaining about fulgores options. lol. guess what. they did just that. haha. poor Nicky, those full screen combos looked sick to. I can still cancel into lazer/dash/lazer/dash/lazer/lazer/poke/ invincible DP. psssh. bich please.

To not be a completely negative nelly, I think the rest of the changes are largely good. I’m nervous about Fulgore still being quite strong, because I think he was the #1 candidate for a “problem character” if there even is one, and I think his nearest competitor Jago got hit strongly but he left pretty untouched. It remains to be seen just how many pips the instinct bug fix costs him, and how much easier his zoning is to get past now that he can’t cancel laser into fireballs. Because he is so versatile, though, I have my doubts that it’s enough and it’s possible Fulgore may be the clear #1 moving forward.

I’m back and forth on the Gargos changes. I think they will be very divisive for Gargos players and the people who dislike them may express their distaste rather vocally. I think the dash bug fix and opener izuna drop damage being nerfed is understandable, since those two things were pretty much all Gargos needed to do to gain meter for minions. I imagine even super extreme Gargos supporters were expecting these fairly necessary changes to be made. The hard knockdown on izuna drop being lost is… less clear, since it is currently 95% of the way Gargos gets minions. Maybe it’s not actually needed, because other tools can fill the same role for only slightly less damage? Hard to say, but I do think Gargos can’t turn a command grab into a minion now at all (even if he is willing to accept 0 damage), and I think that change will have some people be happy and others be pretty upset.

I’ve come around a bit on Gargos being stronger than I initially thought. His wakeup game is still trash but he is surprisingly slippery (even without minions) and wins a lot of scrambles due to holding up turning into quad jump, and his backdash is pretty decent when you compare it to other characters with “no defense”. He also has a very good button for stealing his turn back (cr.MP) if the opponent leaves a gap. I still think he can get massacred against the right characters, though, but KI is a scrambly game and he is one of the best at winning scrambles, so that has to count for something.

To sum up: I’m bummed that my direction for Jago is not the one the team agrees on (which means he is now less fun for me to play), but it’s their decision and not mine. The other changes seem largely good, though I suspect some Gargos players will be upset and not everybody will be happy (some praying for Sadira/Shago buffs, some hoping 3.7 was going to be attempt number 123908141 at a magic bullet to fix all of the perceived problems with KI that they have).

By the way, that shadow linker glitch listed under “system changes” will go a long way to helping fix people getting locked out on shadow linkers at the same time as a counter breaker. I was able to show the devs that the very act of counter breaking caused timing lockouts where lockouts were otherwise impossible, so that fix will help a lot.

1 Like

ya know what infill? this game used to be paper, rock, scissors. now it just looks like everything’s being turned into rocks. I’m not saying the sky is falling but squshing the whole roster to be more centered and samey, just adds to the beginnings of why does this game exist. the pots are small. the viewership is small and all this does is piss of the average gamer.

1 Like

Not sure I even follow what you mean by this, but I don’t agree that the roster is “samey” at all. It is still a very diverse fighter with a crazy roster of characters and Jago being more negative on wind kick does not change that.

And unless your name is Street Fighter, viewership just tends to fall in the FGC when your game is out for 3 years. By all metrics, player count is up (which is surprising and a sign of growth) and we are in the middle of KI World Cup weekend, a tournament that “shouldn’t exist” if your view is correct, so I think you’re greatly overexaggerating here.

9 Likes

So? What is point of this…!!!
On this community the problem is JAGO for everything. LOL!!

4 Likes

I don’t main jago. go tell wish adept that he has to work his azz off twice as hard now with double the risk just to close a gap. A sick jago player already plays a good waiting game, u have to. its just gonna detract from the fun factor. that’s all.

oh i agree that the roster tool sets are impressive but it’s those properties of those sets that make them unique.

over exaggerating? didn’t I say the sky isn’t falling? it was merely a kriptic warning is all.

Sometimes you have to adjust fun factor if it’s too strong. I’m sure launch Eyedol was very fun.

My argument is not “the game is less fun”, it is “the game, for me, is less fun over a tool that I don’t think was really the problem but I suppose the developers do and it’s their game not mine.”

I’m sad my vision of the game doesn’t line up with theirs on this one specific issue, nothing more.

lol. that’s exactly my feelings as well. although i didn’t word it as such. I always over complicate stuff :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

if I wasn’t such a KI addict I would threaten to quit. lol.

Was Kilgore’s ultra fixed? I did not see it in the list of fixes. I was not sure if it is still a problem that is being looked at, or was fixed and someone forgot to add it to the list.

2 Likes

Truly leaves a mark. But, I guess that’s sort of the point. They wanted refined Jago players who are more conscious in their approach. In that, they will be successful. As a byproduct, they will severely force Jago players to drop him as their main, or so I would assume so based on initial impressions/feedback.