Why people hate Eyedol again? -.-

If IG can cram all that lore, personality, and uniqueness into a rock, I fail to see how they couldn’t do the same with Eyedol.

In regards to the subject of Eyedol:
He’s probably the most polarizing of all the KI cast. He’s simultaneously one of the most requested and most reviled characters of the franchise. I’d consider him to be the Ultimate challenge for IG. A character with a fan base who want to see him back, and a long standing group of people who don’t think he could work. Bringing back characters in a way that makes him unique while paying tribute to their roots is IG’s specialty, though, apart from their excellent original designs. If they can do to Eyedol what they did to Gargos and Kim Wu, there’s plenty of potential to bring him back.

If it’s not obvious to anyone else, I’m primarily in the #BringEyedol camp. While the original boss fight was nothing but frustrating,and his old sprite may not have aged well, he’s the sole remaining character. IG has made some wicked game plans for characters both classic and original. If they put their noggins into it, something good’s bound to come up.

And no, not everyone would like it. It would likely be met with criticism and controversy, just like with Tusk, Riptor, Kim Wu, Jago, Glacius, and Orchid’s bottom. If the rest of the cast of had their lovers and haters, Eyedol would be much the same. Hell, it seems like the line of who’s in what camp has already been drawn in the sand long before concept art will have the chance to hit paper.

The real difference would be having something tangible and modern to talk about rather than arguing over who’s glasses have the fancier rose tint.

8 Likes

That would be possible if there werent HUNDREDS OF THEM.

Literally every time we get news, someone makes a thread saying:

-This is cool, but what about eyedol?
-I think this character proves eyedol is a good idea
-What would IG have to do to make eyedol possible?
(Most of them with crude mis-spellings all over them, just like this one.)

Just type in “Eyedol” in the search bar, and you can see for yourself how many threads are nearly identical, but somehow dont get deleted.

It just irks me that some people think Eyedol can’t be anything other than exactly what he was in KI1 when IG has proven over and over again that they can take boring, bland, uninspired characters and make them amazing.

6 Likes

I dont think playable KI characters have that much complexity. We have native american, ryu-ripoff, special forces girl, cyborg… of course every one has their own style, but I would not say anyone of them has complicated personality…

And to add to that, we have already 3 guests with no fully fleshed out personality or context to KI lore included.

As far as I remember, Eyedol was overwhelming badass boss, who everyone was scared of. Most of fanbase loves S3 redesigned Gargos despite his original version was bland and underwhelming AF, so why not giving Eyedol a chance?

Gargos is S3 boss and that does not interrupt having him as playable character.

Cyclopses being nasty lumbering barbarians IS their style after all…

Going by your philosophy Tusk also has no style because he is sword swinging barbarian. So what, he should put on “deal with it” glasses and branded clothes to be cooler?

Eyedol has so much opportunities for awesome redesign, more than most of KI cast that IG already made awesome.

3 Likes

its a community forum, of course its gonna happen

I was trying to say “complex GAMEPLAY”. Im not really worried about the story aspect. Im sure Eyedol would have complex story with no issues, but his gameplay and visuals would be bland, or have to be re-imagined.

OF COURSE he would be reimagined. You hate this poor Eyedol like Gargos was any good back in KI2.

There is literally nothing left from KI2 Gargos in S3 one, IG rebuild him completely. Eyedol would also get fundamental redesign for sure.

5 Likes

ok cool, reimaging could be neat

I love how people just want to ignore how easy it would be to fix eyedol story and game play wise. Simply because they don’t want him in the game. Oh he looks stupid? Maybe he was cursed and turned into this monster.
Gameplay wise, he’s got a huge club to swing he could have several grabs where he picks you up and beats you with his club. He could charge you and plow you over with a double head ram. Stomp you with his hooves. He would be easy to fix. Aganos works and you could basically make eyedol Play like him but with his club out 24/7 or make his club a instinct thing. Make him a rush grappler

Some people who no want eyedol, want shadow orchid , but why shadow orchid is the better choice Than shadow maya.after all , temperance and vengeance have a dangerous evil power. I m a KI1 player also i want eyedol .

1 Like

Personality wise, i think one of his head could be dumb “eyedol smaaash” one, and other would be smart and do the thinking.

Also, he does not even has to wield a club, it can be different weapon. He could use chains for lot of swing attacks with good range.

1 Like

well i dunno anout eyedol game play be fixed easily, but IG can work something out

1 Like

Ok honestly the people that dont like eyedol for that stupid **** reason, are very silly. OK HE “WAS” CHEAP. DAMN Gargos is basically what everyone hated back in the day. So idk i need to be civil but Eyedol us a must no matter what.

2 Likes

Geez a bit racist against cyclops-es aren’t you? Seriously though, I don’t particularly agree with you. It is true that the cyclops is generally depicted as, well…kinda stupid, and yes, in the original KI he was pretty bland in his aesthetic design, as well as his fighting style. Though as pointed by other posters, so was gargos, and they gave him a healthy dose of character and style, and if they can do that with a bland unoriginal gargoyle, they can most definitely do that with a bland unoriginal cyclops.

It seems that the majority of your argument comes from the fact that eyedol has to be stupid and bland to fit the trope of a cyclops, but I don’t agree with that. He doesn’t have to be stupid and bland, he just has to be direct in his methods, a barbarian in conflict yes but not in mind, and maybe a bit conflicted on how to handle his situations specifically, as being a creature of two minds there is bound to be some disagreements on how to handle a situation.

I could see it working out like this, while gargos is a manipulator and schemer, choosing to use others to do his dirty work, and rarely directly engaging in a situation, as evidenced by his fighting style, eyedol could go the direct approach, no minions, no tricks, but uses his strength alone. It wouldn’t detract from his intelligence at all, it’s just how he handles himself. Another thing to add to make that interesting is that both heads have different ways of handling a situation, both are direct in their methods of course, but neither handle their affairs the same, which breads conflict and invites an interesting dynamic between the two. Now I’m no game designer, but I feel like a stance character would be the best route to reflect this, as both would have direct means to handle a situation, but, you as the player, have to correctly chose between the two to be effective.

As to your point in dividing the fans of the character, I don’t agree with that either. Yes there is going to be a divide, but as long as the character is designed well, looks good, and is fun to play, the intelligent reasonable people that like the character are going to outnumber the dinguses that want a bland cyclops man copied from the original KI, honestly these kinds of people exist in absolutely every community in some shape or form, not doing something for fear of more potential nonsense form these types of people is only hurting the positvie potential of something, in this case Killer Instinct.

Now whether or not he should be in this season…well I don’t particularly think so. While I do think it was the best time to include guest characters, and the number wasn’t necessarily bad, the fact they did that kinda makes me feel like adding eyedol would be a bad move. If they do a season four, and surround him with original concepts, I think that would allow people on the fence about him to be more receptive to his addition.

So let me just say in closing that while I do disagree with you, it doesn’t mean that I don’t find your reasoning understandable, it’s a fairly reasonable opinion. Nor am I particularly thrilled about eyedol, I’m pretty indifferent to his addition honestly, I wouldn’t care one way or the other. I’m just providing my two cents on the matter, and I just happen to disagree, so carry on peeps.

(also didn’t realize this reply would get so lengthy, I had like two cups of coffee and a beer so I might’ve gotten a little too invested lol)

2 Likes

As long as he doesn’t convolute the story (or affect it at all personally). I don’t want him appearing out of nowhere in the story with no context and suddenly he’s the final boss (can’t stand with storylines do that).

That said, I don’t like Eyedol, with a burning passion of a thousand suns for personal reasons. HOWEVER, I am not to blind to realize how much he is requested and he’s the only one left of the classic cast so it’s also more of a case of “well why not?”. So while I may hate him, I do think it will be good for the game if he did come back. His fans can finally shu- I mean will be happy, the entire classic cast is finished, and it may bring more players to the game because a fan-favorite returned or may like his design/gameplay. And there is a possibility for him to be unique. I mean look at Gargos. Other than the name and Retro costume, he is NOTHING like how he was in KI2.

All the times I’ve talked about him mainly come from my concern about his involvement in the story. I DON’T want him shoehorned in just for the sake of having him in the game (not to mention forcefully making a entirely new season just for him) and would rather have him be like a post-S3 extra character for his fans (and no I don’t mean make him half baked like Omen)

In conclusion, If it is good for the game, then fine whatever add him. Just a character I’m not going to even bother with if he comes out.

P.S. Now when I think about it, I did I even bother writing this? Not like anybody going to read it/care anyway.

Rushdown Shadow Lord Vs Zoning Shadow Lord

3 Likes

I’m not a major fan of eyedol I could live without him in this game however I feel bad for his fans that want him, I mean I got my boy gargos so why shouldn’t they? Anyway they could give him a retractable mace so he can be a stance character. One stance he has long range normals while the other has the mace retract for close range combat.

If a lumbering war golem with three “faces” who can use walls as a baseball bat can be added to the game, a bicephalous creature wielding a spiked club can be too.

4 Likes

I don’t “hate” him but I just couldn’t care less about him.
He’s just so generic looking and boring to fight against with the overall concept of him being lack luster.

Can’t say why he can’t but I’d rather have someone else than a two headed Cyclops.

Just personal opinion, mind you. I’m know there are those that think otherwise.

2 Likes